Upgrading BOOTOS2 partition to GENGRADD? - OS2

This is a discussion on Upgrading BOOTOS2 partition to GENGRADD? - OS2 ; Today I tried to update a BOOTOS2-created maintainance partition to GENGRADD, but all I get is a trap... What I did (after Googling for "group:*os2* sddgradd bootos2 gengradd"): a) install \OS2\GRADD.SYS ! \OS2\SVGADATA.PMI -- SKIPPED THIS \OS2\DLL\BVHSVGA.DLL \OS2\DLL\GENPMI.DLL \OS2\DLL\GRE2VMAN.DLL \OS2\DLL\IBMGPMI.DLL ...

  1. Upgrading BOOTOS2 partition to GENGRADD?

    Today I tried to update a BOOTOS2-created maintainance partition to
    GENGRADD, but all I get is a trap...

    What I did (after Googling for "group:*os2* sddgradd bootos2 gengradd"):

    a) install

    \OS2\GRADD.SYS
    ! \OS2\SVGADATA.PMI -- SKIPPED THIS
    \OS2\DLL\BVHSVGA.DLL
    \OS2\DLL\GENPMI.DLL
    \OS2\DLL\GRE2VMAN.DLL
    \OS2\DLL\IBMGPMI.DLL
    \OS2\DLL\GENGRADD.DLL

    \OS2\DLL\VIDEOPMI.DLL
    \OS2\DLL\VMAN.DLL

    \OS2\MDOS\VSVGA.SYS

    b) Create keys in *SYS.INI:
    "PM_DISPLAYDRIVERS" "GRE2VMAN" "GRE2VMAN"
    "PM_DISPLAYDRIVERS" "CURRENTDRIVER" "GRE2VMAN"

    c) Edit Config.Sys to get

    SET VIDEO_DEVICES=VIO_SVGA
    SET VIO_SVGA=DEVICE(BVHVGA,BVHSVGA)

    SET GRADD_CHAINS=C1
    DEVICE=E:\OS2\GRADD.SYS
    DEVICE=\OS2\MDOS\VSVGA.SYS
    rem GENGRADD, or VGAGRADD
    SET C1=GENGRADD

    SET DISPLAYTYPE=VGA

    (I do not know whether the last one is needed with
    GENGRADD...).

    What should I do to fix this? (On the main partition I have real
    SDDGRADD, so I'm only guessing...)

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  2. Re: Upgrading BOOTOS2 partition to GENGRADD?

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > Today I tried to update a BOOTOS2-created maintainance partition to
    > GENGRADD, but all I get is a trap...
    >
    > What I did (after Googling for "group:*os2* sddgradd bootos2 gengradd"):
    >
    > a) install
    >
    > \OS2\GRADD.SYS
    > ! \OS2\SVGADATA.PMI -- SKIPPED THIS
    > \OS2\DLL\BVHSVGA.DLL
    > \OS2\DLL\GENPMI.DLL
    > \OS2\DLL\GRE2VMAN.DLL
    > \OS2\DLL\IBMGPMI.DLL
    > \OS2\DLL\GENGRADD.DLL
    >
    > \OS2\DLL\VIDEOPMI.DLL
    > \OS2\DLL\VMAN.DLL
    >
    > \OS2\MDOS\VSVGA.SYS
    >
    > b) Create keys in *SYS.INI:
    > "PM_DISPLAYDRIVERS" "GRE2VMAN" "GRE2VMAN"
    > "PM_DISPLAYDRIVERS" "CURRENTDRIVER" "GRE2VMAN"
    >
    > c) Edit Config.Sys to get
    >

    > SET VIDEO_DEVICES=VIO_SVGA
    > SET VIO_SVGA=DEVICE(BVHVGA,BVHSVGA)
    >
    > SET GRADD_CHAINS=C1
    > DEVICE=E:\OS2\GRADD.SYS
    > DEVICE=\OS2\MDOS\VSVGA.SYS
    > rem GENGRADD, or VGAGRADD
    > SET C1=GENGRADD
    >
    > SET DISPLAYTYPE=VGA
    >
    > (I do not know whether the last one is needed with
    > GENGRADD...).
    >
    > What should I do to fix this? (On the main partition I have real
    > SDDGRADD, so I'm only guessing...)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ilya

    The GENGRADD disk has instructions files for the installation
    you should follow accordingly.

  3. Re: Upgrading BOOTOS2 partition to GENGRADD?

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > Today I tried to update a BOOTOS2-created maintainance partition to
    > GENGRADD, but all I get is a trap...
    >
    > What I did (after Googling for "group:*os2* sddgradd bootos2 gengradd"):
    >
    > a) install
    >
    > \OS2\GRADD.SYS
    > ! \OS2\SVGADATA.PMI -- SKIPPED THIS
    > \OS2\DLL\BVHSVGA.DLL
    > \OS2\DLL\GENPMI.DLL
    > \OS2\DLL\GRE2VMAN.DLL
    > \OS2\DLL\IBMGPMI.DLL
    > \OS2\DLL\GENGRADD.DLL
    >
    > \OS2\DLL\VIDEOPMI.DLL
    > \OS2\DLL\VMAN.DLL
    >
    > \OS2\MDOS\VSVGA.SYS
    >
    > b) Create keys in *SYS.INI:
    > "PM_DISPLAYDRIVERS" "GRE2VMAN" "GRE2VMAN"
    > "PM_DISPLAYDRIVERS" "CURRENTDRIVER" "GRE2VMAN"
    >
    > c) Edit Config.Sys to get
    >

    > SET VIDEO_DEVICES=VIO_SVGA
    > SET VIO_SVGA=DEVICE(BVHVGA,BVHSVGA)
    >
    > SET GRADD_CHAINS=C1
    > DEVICE=E:\OS2\GRADD.SYS
    > DEVICE=\OS2\MDOS\VSVGA.SYS
    > rem GENGRADD, or VGAGRADD
    > SET C1=GENGRADD
    >
    > SET DISPLAYTYPE=VGA
    >
    > (I do not know whether the last one is needed with
    > GENGRADD...).
    >
    > What should I do to fix this? (On the main partition I have real
    > SDDGRADD, so I'm only guessing...)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ilya

    The \OS2\DLL\BVHSVGA.DLL needs to be replaced with the one from the SDD
    package. The one included with the gengradd drivers has issues.
    However, I don't believe this is the cause of your trap.

    David

  4. Re: Upgrading BOOTOS2 partition to GENGRADD?

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

    > Today I tried to update a BOOTOS2-created maintainance partition to
    > GENGRADD, but all I get is a trap...

    report it here..

    > a) install

    ? \OS2\DLL\DISPLAY.DLL
    \OS2\DLL\wpvidsys.dll
    \OS2\screen01.sys

    Veit Kannegieser

  5. Re: Upgrading BOOTOS2 partition to GENGRADD?

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > Today I tried to update a BOOTOS2-created maintainance partition to
    > GENGRADD, but all I get is a trap...
    >
    > What I did (after Googling for "group:*os2* sddgradd bootos2 gengradd"):
    >
    > a) install
    >
    > \OS2\GRADD.SYS
    > ! \OS2\SVGADATA.PMI -- SKIPPED THIS
    > \OS2\DLL\BVHSVGA.DLL
    > \OS2\DLL\GENPMI.DLL
    > \OS2\DLL\GRE2VMAN.DLL
    > \OS2\DLL\IBMGPMI.DLL
    > \OS2\DLL\GENGRADD.DLL
    >
    > \OS2\DLL\VIDEOPMI.DLL
    > \OS2\DLL\VMAN.DLL
    >
    > \OS2\MDOS\VSVGA.SYS
    >
    > b) Create keys in *SYS.INI:
    > "PM_DISPLAYDRIVERS" "GRE2VMAN" "GRE2VMAN"
    > "PM_DISPLAYDRIVERS" "CURRENTDRIVER" "GRE2VMAN"
    >
    > c) Edit Config.Sys to get
    >

    > SET VIDEO_DEVICES=VIO_SVGA
    > SET VIO_SVGA=DEVICE(BVHVGA,BVHSVGA)
    >
    > SET GRADD_CHAINS=C1
    > DEVICE=E:\OS2\GRADD.SYS
    > DEVICE=\OS2\MDOS\VSVGA.SYS
    > rem GENGRADD, or VGAGRADD
    > SET C1=GENGRADD
    >
    > SET DISPLAYTYPE=VGA
    >
    > (I do not know whether the last one is needed with
    > GENGRADD...).
    >
    > What should I do to fix this? (On the main partition I have real
    > SDDGRADD, so I'm only guessing...)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ilya

    The \OS2\DLL\BVHSVGA.DLL needs to be replaced with the one from the SDD
    package. The one included with the gengradd drivers has issues.
    However, I don't believe this is the cause of your trap.

    David

  6. Re: Upgrading BOOTOS2 partition to GENGRADD?

    Veit Kannegieser
    ], who wrote in article :
    > > Today I tried to update a BOOTOS2-created maintainance partition to
    > > GENGRADD, but all I get is a trap...

    > report it here..

    Thanks, I will (it was something in the OS2KRNL, but I did not write
    it down).

    Actually, one problem happens before the trap: VSVGA fails to load...
    Maybe this may be an indicator? Config.sys at end...

    > > a) install

    > ? \OS2\DLL\DISPLAY.DLL
    > \OS2\DLL\wpvidsys.dll
    > \OS2\screen01.sys

    All but wpvidsys are already put there by BOOTOS2. I will try with
    wpvidsys.dll... screen01 is not mentioned in config.sys, but it is
    not in my "main partition" SNAP config.sys either, so I assume it is
    OK...

    To answer other posters: OLD gengradds come with installation
    instructions, but I do not think these instructions will work from
    BOOTOS2 partition. Newer GENGRADDs (ones from SNAP releases) do not
    have any installation instructions.

    Moreover, this install is probably not "minimal", and "minimal" is
    what people (often) want from BOOTOS2.

    The BVHSVGA.DLL installed by BOOTOS2 is the latest one, so it *is* one
    from SDD.

    Thanks,
    Ilya

    PROTSHELL=\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE
    SET USER_INI=\OS2\BOS2USER.INI
    SET SYSTEM_INI=\OS2\BOS2SYS.INI
    SET OS2_SHELL=\OS2\CMD.EXE
    SET COMSPEC=\OS2\CMD.EXE
    SET AUTOSTART=PROGRAMS,TASKLIST,FOLDERS,WARPCENTER
    SET RUNWORKPLACE=\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE

    DEVICE=\OS2\PMDD.SYS
    MEMMAN=SWAP,PROTECT
    SWAPPATH=E:\ 512
    LIBPATH=.;E:\OS2\DLL;E:\OS2\MDOS;E:\utils
    SET PATH=E:\OS2;E:\OS2\MDOS;E:\utils
    SET DPATH=E:\OS2;E:\OS2\MDOS;E:\utils

    SET PROMPT=[$p]
    BUFFERS=30
    IOPL=YES

    SET KEYS=ON
    DISKCACHE=D,LW
    SET HELP=E:\OS2\HELP

    BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD /V /A:0 /IT:100 /A:1 /BM

    BASEDEV=DANIATAP.FLT

    BASEDEV=OS2ASPI.DMD /ALL

    BASEDEV=I2OXPORT.SYS

    BASEDEV=LMS206.ADD

    BASEDEV=AIC78U2.ADD

    BASEDEV=IBMKBD.SYS

    BASEDEV=PAR1284.SYS /LPT1

    BASEDEV=IBM1FLPY.ADD

    BASEDEV=OS2DASD.DMD /MP:2,2

    BASEDEV=CHKDSK.SYS

    BASEDEV=IBMINT13.I13

    BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V

    BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V

    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$ /V

    BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS

    BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD

    BASEDEV=USBCDROM.ADD

    DEVICE=E:\OS2\BOOT\UNICODE.SYS

    PROTECTONLY=NO
    FCBS=16,8
    RMSIZE=640
    DOS=LOW,NOUMB
    SHELL=E:\OS2\MDOS\COMMAND.COM E:\OS2\MDOS
    DEVICE=\OS2\MDOS\VEMM.SYS
    DEVICE=\OS2\TESTCFG.SYS
    DEVICE=\OS2\MDOS\VXMS.SYS
    DEVICE=\OS2\MDOS\VDPMI.SYS
    DEVICE=\OS2\MDOS\VDPX.SYS
    DEVICE=\OS2\MDOS\VVGA.SYS
    DEVICE=\OS2\MDOS\VCDROM.SYS
    IFS=\OS2\HPFS.IFS /CACHE:1024 /AUTOCHECKE
    COUNTRY=001,\COUNTRY.SYS
    DEVICE=\OS2\OS2CDROM.DMD /Q
    IFS=\OS2\CDFS.IFS /Q /W /C:8
    DEVICE=\OS2\POINTDD.SYS
    CODEPAGE=850,866
    DEVINFO=KBD,RU,\OS2\KEYBOARD.DCP
    DEVINFO=SCR,VGA,\OS2\VIOTBL.DCP
    SET VIDEO_DEVICES=VIO_VGA
    SET VIO_VGA=DEVICE(BVHVGA)

    DEVICE=E:\OS2\BOOT\MOUSE.SYS

    rem /H: place cache above 16M
    IFS=E:\OS2\BOOT\FAT32.IFS /CACHE:2048 /H
    rem /F: force; will run with removable media too.
    rem CALL=E:\OS2\BOOT\CACHEF32.EXE /F

    IFS=D:\OS2\BOOT\UDF.IFS

    REM This is an additional one for testing
    DEVICE=E:\OS2\BOOT\usbresmg.sys

  7. Re: Upgrading BOOTOS2 partition to GENGRADD?

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

    > Actually, one problem happens before the trap: VSVGA fails to load...
    > Maybe this may be an indicator? Config.sys at end...

    No idea. Use the bootable package to create a gengradd boot
    volume/CD and the look..

    > screen01 is not mentioned in config.sys, but it is
    > not in my "main partition" SNAP config.sys either,

    loaded automaticly, like resource.sys, kbdbase.sys, clock01.sys
    on non PS/2-machines.

    >SET VIDEO_DEVICES=VIO_VGA
    > SET VIO_VGA=DEVICE(BVHVGA)

    This would have to change for example-

    --
    Veit Kannegieser

  8. Re: Upgrading BOOTOS2 partition to GENGRADD?

    Ilya Zakharevich
    ], who wrote in article :

    > PROTSHELL=\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE
    > SET USER_INI=\OS2\BOS2USER.INI

    Drat, it was a wrong Config.sys! A better one (actually, it is
    /os2/boot/config.e):

[...]

    rem SDDGRADD needs:
    rem SET DISPLAYTYPE=VGA
    rem SET VCFG_NO_DDC=TRUE
    rem DEVICE=E:\OS2\SDDHELP.SYS
    rem SET NUCLEUS_PATH=E:\OS2\DRIVERS\NUCLEUS

    rem IN OS2.INI:
    rem "PM_DISPLAYDRIVERS" "GRE2VMAN" "GRE2VMAN"
    rem "PM_DISPLAYDRIVERS" "CURRENTDRIVER" "GRE2VMAN"

    rem FILES:
    rem \OS2\SVGADATA.PMI
    rem (should be removed with GENGRADD)

    rem /H: place cache above 16M
    IFS=E:\OS2\BOOT\FAT32.IFS /CACHE:2048 /H
    rem /F: force; will run with removable media too.
    rem CALL=E:\OS2\BOOT\CACHEF32.EXE /F

    IFS=D:\OS2\BOOT\UDF.IFS

    REM This is an additional one for testing
    DEVICE=E:\OS2\BOOT\usbresmg.sys

  9. Re: Upgrading BOOTOS2 partition to GENGRADD?

    Veit Kannegieser
    ], who wrote in article :
    > Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    >
    > > Today I tried to update a BOOTOS2-created maintainance partition to
    > > GENGRADD, but all I get is a trap...

    > report it here..

    .... module OS2KRNL
    ???=000e ???=2 ???=******** ???=********
    EAX=1 EBX=ffecb854 ECX=8000 EDX=0
    ESI=0 EDI=0 EBP=49a2 FLG=13202
    CS:EIP=0168:fffb7f8a CSACC=c09b CSLIM=ffffffff
    SS:ESP=0030:00004ef4 SSACC=1097 SSLIM=00003fff
    DS=0160 DSACC=c0f3 DSLIM=ffffffff CR0=8001001b
    ES=0160 ESACC=c0f3 ESLIM=ffffffff CR2=0000000c
    FS=03c0 FSACC=00f3 FSLIM=00000023
    GS=0000 GSACC=**** GSLIM=********

    at 0168:fff1da1f - 000e:ca1f
    60000, 9084