Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds? - OS2

This is a discussion on Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds? - OS2 ; Folks, in early December, I posted an article here about a problem I had after upgrading my machine's CPU from an Athlon XP1700 to XP2800. (Subject: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 won't boot ?) In short, on a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

  1. Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    Folks,

    in early December, I posted an article here about a problem I had after
    upgrading my machine's CPU from an Athlon XP1700 to XP2800.
    (Subject: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 won't boot ?)

    In short, on a multiboot system with AirBoot 1.01, loading either DOS,
    Warp4, or FreeBSD 5.1, the Warp 4 boot is delayed by so much that I
    thought it was hosed completely.

    Today, while digging for the boot floppies I thought I'd need to access
    the disk and repair things, the system decided that enough is enough and
    booted. Once up, all worked as usual, that is, well.

    Timing the whole thing: The delay from telling AirBoot to boot OS/2
    until it actually starts is something like 95 seconds, reproducably.

    Any ideas what this could be, how it might be fixed etc?

    The system has 1 GB of RAM (pulling half of it doesn't change this
    delay), is rock stable under both FreeBSD 5.1 and OS/2 (once up), and
    has four SCSI disks hanging off a Tekram 390u2w controller. Then there
    is a SCSI DAT drive, a SCSI CR reader, and an ATAPI DVD rewriter hooked
    to the ide controller.

    The funny thing is that nothing changed apart from the CPU.

    Pointers welcome, as usual.

    Thanks in advance & cheers, Stefan

  2. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    Could it be the IBMINT13.I13 driver? That picks up the disk drives
    that all other drivers have missed, and it can take a long time to
    search. If that's in the config.sys what happens if you REM it out?

    n Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:46:47 UTC, sa.deutscher@tiscali.de (Stefan A.

    --

  3. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    Hi Stefan

    Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    > Folks,
    >
    > in early December, I posted an article here about a problem I had after
    > upgrading my machine's CPU from an Athlon XP1700 to XP2800.
    > (Subject: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 won't boot ?)
    >
    > In short, on a multiboot system with AirBoot 1.01, loading either DOS,
    > Warp4, or FreeBSD 5.1, the Warp 4 boot is delayed by so much that I
    > thought it was hosed completely.
    >
    > Today, while digging for the boot floppies I thought I'd need to access
    > the disk and repair things, the system decided that enough is enough and
    > booted. Once up, all worked as usual, that is, well.
    >
    > Timing the whole thing: The delay from telling AirBoot to boot OS/2
    > until it actually starts is something like 95 seconds, reproducably.
    >
    > Any ideas what this could be, how it might be fixed etc?
    >
    > The system has 1 GB of RAM (pulling half of it doesn't change this
    > delay), is rock stable under both FreeBSD 5.1 and OS/2 (once up), and
    > has four SCSI disks hanging off a Tekram 390u2w controller. Then there
    > is a SCSI DAT drive, a SCSI CR reader, and an ATAPI DVD rewriter hooked
    > to the ide controller.
    >
    > The funny thing is that nothing changed apart from the CPU.

    Strange.

    I upgraded from an Athlon2000 to the 2800 and having reset the BIOS so
    that the system board runs at 166 it just worked - no problems, bit
    faster than a 2000 :-)

    Are you using a recent kernel? - it may help.

    Regards

    Pete

  4. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:

    > upgrading my machine's CPU from an Athlon XP1700 to XP2800.

    > Timing the whole thing: The delay from telling AirBoot to boot OS/2
    > until it actually starts is something like 95 seconds, reproducably.

    What means 'start'? Press Alt+F2 after leaving AirBoot and report
    which driver took longest time..

    --
    Veit Kannegieser

  5. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    Veit Kannegieser
    ], who wrote in article :
    > Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    >
    > > upgrading my machine's CPU from an Athlon XP1700 to XP2800.

    > > Timing the whole thing: The delay from telling AirBoot to boot OS/2
    > > until it actually starts is something like 95 seconds, reproducably.

    > What means 'start'? Press Alt+F2 after leaving AirBoot and report
    > which driver took longest time..

    My experience was that HPFS.IFS (and probably FAT32.IFS) spend 60sec
    keeping the disk busy on the SECOND call to initialization (one after
    other drivers load). The delay disappears when one switches from
    os2dasd to danidasd. Go figure...

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  6. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    On 23 Jan 2005 16:45:46 GMT, Veit Kannegieser wrote:
    >Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    >
    >> upgrading my machine's CPU from an Athlon XP1700 to XP2800.

    >> Timing the whole thing: The delay from telling AirBoot to boot OS/2
    >> until it actually starts is something like 95 seconds, reproducably.

    >What means 'start'? Press Alt+F2 after leaving AirBoot and report
    >which driver took longest time..

    'Start' means here the time from leaving AirBoot (v1.01) until disk
    activity starts. Right now, it is as follows:

    A. Airboot comes up after BIOS and SCSI BIOS have done their thing. In
    AirBoot:
    1. I select the partition that has my bootable OS/2 Warp 4 fp 15
    (kernel 14.062_W) on it
    2. I hit enter (or just wait 25 seconds for the timed boot)
    3. AirBoot says
    'Booting the system using 'OS2 boot 3' partition, please wait ...
    4. Nothing happens for 95 seconds, the cursor flashes about three lines
    below the text
    5. All of a sudden, disk activity starts as usual and the system boots
    relatively fast
    6. Once in a while, it fails to bring up tcp/ip with a weird sioctl
    message (no such interface), but that's probably not related.

    >--
    >Veit Kannegieser

  7. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:04:03 GMT, Peter Brown
    wrote:
    >Hi Stefan
    >
    >Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    >> Folks,
    >>
    >> in early December, I posted an article here about a problem I had
    >> after
    >> upgrading my machine's CPU from an Athlon XP1700 to XP2800.
    >> (Subject: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 won't boot ?)
    >>
    >> In short, on a multiboot system with AirBoot 1.01, loading either DOS,
    >> Warp4, or FreeBSD 5.1, the Warp 4 boot is delayed by so much that I
    >> thought it was hosed completely.
    >>
    >> Today, while digging for the boot floppies I thought I'd need to access
    >> the disk and repair things, the system decided that enough is enough and
    >> booted. Once up, all worked as usual, that is, well.
    >>
    >> Timing the whole thing: The delay from telling AirBoot to boot OS/2
    >> until it actually starts is something like 95 seconds, reproducably.
    >>
    >> Any ideas what this could be, how it might be fixed etc?
    >>
    >> The system has 1 GB of RAM (pulling half of it doesn't change this
    >> delay), is rock stable under both FreeBSD 5.1 and OS/2 (once up), and
    >> has four SCSI disks hanging off a Tekram 390u2w controller. Then there
    >> is a SCSI DAT drive, a SCSI CR reader, and an ATAPI DVD rewriter hooked
    >> to the ide controller.
    >>
    >> The funny thing is that nothing changed apart from the CPU.
    >>

    >Strange.
    >
    >I upgraded from an Athlon2000 to the 2800 and having reset the BIOS so
    >that the system board runs at 166 it just worked - no problems, bit
    >faster than a 2000 :-)

    That's what I expected, and when booting into FreeBSD 5.1, this is also
    what happens.

    >Are you using a recent kernel? - it may help.

    I think I have what ever came with Warp 4 fp15 on that box. (14.062_W4).
    The odd thing is that the delay happens even before the white blob comes
    up that lets me know that Warp is taking over.

    Cheers, Stefan

    >Regards
    >
    >Pete

  8. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > Veit Kannegieser
    > ], who wrote in article :
    >
    >>Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    >>

    >>>upgrading my machine's CPU from an Athlon XP1700 to XP2800.

    >>>Timing the whole thing: The delay from telling AirBoot to boot OS/2
    >>>until it actually starts is something like 95 seconds, reproducably.

    >>What means 'start'? Press Alt+F2 after leaving AirBoot and report
    >>which driver took longest time..

    > My experience was that HPFS.IFS (and probably FAT32.IFS) spend 60sec
    > keeping the disk busy on the SECOND call to initialization (one after
    > other drivers load). The delay disappears when one switches from
    > os2dasd to danidasd. Go figure...
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Ilya

    I have the same problem you describe.
    Sadly however, danidasd.dmd cannot be used in LVM systems.

    I have an ASUS CUSL2-C with a Pentium III running at 1GHz with 2 SAMSUNG 80GB
    drives (SP0802N and SP8004H). I am running MCP2 with all fixpacks.

    HPFS.IFS spends about 20-25 seconds on each drive. Based on the buzzing sound
    it causes, I think it is seeking to every cylinder, possibly more than once.
    Sounds pretty tough on the access mechanism to me.

    There is similar buzzing for about 10 or 15 seconds which I think occurs while
    FAT32.IFS loads.

    I would really like to find a way to get rid of this lengthy delay.

    Does anyone know the cause of this delay and how to get rid of it?

  9. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 04:25:09 -0600, Mark Klebanoff
    wrote:
    >Could it be the IBMINT13.I13 driver? That picks up the disk drives
    >that all other drivers have missed, and it can take a long time to
    >search. If that's in the config.sys what happens if you REM it out?

    Thanks for chiming in, any help is appreciated! However, in this case,
    the int13 driver is not loaded nor listed the config.sys, and it appears
    as if the delay happens way before processing of the config.sys even
    starts.

    Cheers, Stefan

    >n Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:46:47 UTC, sa.deutscher@tiscali.de (Stefan A.
    >Deutscher) wrote:
    >

    >> Folks,
    >>
    >> in early December, I posted an article here about a problem I had after
    >> upgrading my machine's CPU from an Athlon XP1700 to XP2800.
    >> (Subject: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 won't boot ?)
    >>
    >> In short, on a multiboot system with AirBoot 1.01, loading either DOS,
    >> Warp4, or FreeBSD 5.1, the Warp 4 boot is delayed by so much that I
    >> thought it was hosed completely.
    >>
    >> Today, while digging for the boot floppies I thought I'd need to access
    >> the disk and repair things, the system decided that enough is enough and
    >> booted. Once up, all worked as usual, that is, well.
    >>
    >> Timing the whole thing: The delay from telling AirBoot to boot OS/2
    >> until it actually starts is something like 95 seconds, reproducably.
    >>
    >> Any ideas what this could be, how it might be fixed etc?
    >>
    >> The system has 1 GB of RAM (pulling half of it doesn't change this
    >> delay), is rock stable under both FreeBSD 5.1 and OS/2 (once up), and
    >> has four SCSI disks hanging off a Tekram 390u2w controller. Then there
    >> is a SCSI DAT drive, a SCSI CR reader, and an ATAPI DVD rewriter hooked
    >> to the ide controller.
    >>
    >> The funny thing is that nothing changed apart from the CPU.
    >>

    >> Pointers welcome, as usual.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance & cheers, Stefan

    >--

  10. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 20:38:14 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:
    >Veit Kannegieser who wrote in article :
    >> Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    >>
    >> > upgrading my machine's CPU from an Athlon XP1700 to XP2800.

    >> > Timing the whole thing: The delay from telling AirBoot to boot OS/2
    >> > until it actually starts is something like 95 seconds, reproducably.

    >> What means 'start'? Press Alt+F2 after leaving AirBoot and report
    >> which driver took longest time..

    >My experience was that HPFS.IFS (and probably FAT32.IFS) spend 60sec
    >keeping the disk busy on the SECOND call to initialization (one after
    >other drivers load). The delay disappears when one switches from
    >os2dasd to danidasd. Go figure...

    Interesting, will have to check that. Does this apply to an all SCSI
    system as well? Come to think of it, I will have to check also how the
    ATAPI CD-RW is driven, once the box is up again.

    Thanks & cheers, Stefan

    >Hope this helps,
    >Ilya

  11. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    Sir:

    Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    > Folks,
    >
    > in early December, I posted an article here about a problem I had after
    > upgrading my machine's CPU from an Athlon XP1700 to XP2800.
    > (Subject: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 won't boot ?)
    >
    > In short, on a multiboot system with AirBoot 1.01, loading either DOS,
    > Warp4, or FreeBSD 5.1, the Warp 4 boot is delayed by so much that I
    > thought it was hosed completely.
    >
    > Today, while digging for the boot floppies I thought I'd need to access
    > the disk and repair things, the system decided that enough is enough and
    > booted. Once up, all worked as usual, that is, well.
    >
    > Timing the whole thing: The delay from telling AirBoot to boot OS/2
    > until it actually starts is something like 95 seconds, reproducably.
    >
    > Any ideas what this could be, how it might be fixed etc?
    >
    > The system has 1 GB of RAM (pulling half of it doesn't change this
    > delay), is rock stable under both FreeBSD 5.1 and OS/2 (once up), and
    > has four SCSI disks hanging off a Tekram 390u2w controller. Then there
    > is a SCSI DAT drive, a SCSI CR reader, and an ATAPI DVD rewriter hooked
    > to the ide controller.
    >
    > The funny thing is that nothing changed apart from the CPU.
    >

    > Pointers welcome, as usual.

    This sounds like an airboot problem. Have tried installing newer or
    older version or even the same version of it?
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  12. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    James J. Weinkam wrote:

    > HPFS.IFS spends about 20-25 seconds on each drive. Based on the buzzing sound
    > it causes, I think it is seeking to every cylinder, possibly more than once.
    > Sounds pretty tough on the access mechanism to me.

    This follows from the design of HPFS. HPFS is separated in
    bands of 2x8 MiB each. The freespace information
    (is an block used or not) is stored in each band.
    So to get all the freespace information, the filesystem
    driver has to scan.. Same happends when using the DOS
    ihpfs.exe - when not supressed by forcing 'report 0 byte free'.

    --
    Veit Kannegieser

  13. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:

    > 'Start' means here the time from leaving AirBoot (v1.01) until disk
    > activity starts.

    I would also recommend trying another bootmanager. For example,
    add IBM BM, add it to the AirBoot menu, do a test boot via IBM BM.
    Or try another bootmanager. A delay this long could only explained
    by somthing like software asking the BIOS for an non-ready harddisk..

    --
    Veit Kannegieser

  14. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    Veit Kannegieser
    ], who wrote in article :
    > > HPFS.IFS spends about 20-25 seconds on each drive. Based on the buzzing sound
    > > it causes, I think it is seeking to every cylinder, possibly more than once.
    > > Sounds pretty tough on the access mechanism to me.

    > This follows from the design of HPFS. HPFS is separated in
    > bands of 2x8 MiB each. The freespace information
    > (is an block used or not) is stored in each band.
    > So to get all the freespace information, the filesystem
    > driver has to scan.

    Why get it? Remember, there is no noticable delay with DANIDASD...

    Puzzled,
    Ilya

  15. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

    > Why get it? Remember, there is no noticable delay with DANIDASD...

    Not sure.
    a) autocheck is not effective because of other driver letter asignment
    b) optimized access in danidasd
    c) ?

    I see(hear) this access pattern also when using unmount/remount
    commands, like the cad_pop menu item.

    --
    Veit Kannegieser

  16. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    Veit Kannegieser
    ], who wrote in article :
    > Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

    > > Why get it? Remember, there is no noticable delay with DANIDASD...

    > Not sure.

    > a) autocheck is not effective because of other driver letter asignment

    Same drive letters...

    > I see(hear) this access pattern also when using unmount/remount
    > commands, like the cad_pop menu item.

    And this is a menu of *what*?

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  17. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    Sir:

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > [A complimentary Cc of this posting was sent to Veit Kannegieser
    > ], who wrote in article
    > :
    >
    >> Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

    >>> Why get it? Remember, there is no noticable delay with
    >>> DANIDASD...

    >> Not sure.

    >> a) autocheck is not effective because of other driver letter
    >> asignment

    > Same drive letters...
    >

    >> I see(hear) this access pattern also when using unmount/remount
    >> commands, like the cad_pop menu item.

    > And this is a menu of *what*?

    C-A-D Handler, it is found on Hobbes. It becomes a resident program
    that pop up if you enter the three finger salute. Within it, you can
    unmount the drives. You also have the choice of running Paul Radcliffe'
    TOP program and selective kill programs, to reset the desktop and the
    whole system (reboot). It works unless a crash takes down the system.

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  18. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    On 26 Jan 2005 17:57:44 GMT, Veit Kannegieser wrote:
    >Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    >
    >> 'Start' means here the time from leaving AirBoot (v1.01) until disk
    >> activity starts.

    >I would also recommend trying another bootmanager. For example,
    >add IBM BM, add it to the AirBoot menu, do a test boot via IBM BM.

    Not sure I can, IBM BM needs a primary partition, doesn't it?
    But I will have to re-examine my disk layout, maybe it can be done on
    this machine.

    >Or try another bootmanager. A delay this long could only explained
    >by somthing like software asking the BIOS for an non-ready harddisk..

    That could well be. I checked the BIOS already, it does not matter
    whether or not I disable IDE devices in the BIOS, the delay stays.

    What I don't understand is why FreeBSD continues to boot w/o any delay,
    just OS/2 does not. Maybe I'll have to pull the disk and try with
    another one just to see what happens.

    Thanks & Cheers,
    Stefan

    >--
    >Veit Kannegieser

  19. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:41:04 -0600, William L. Hartzell
    wrote:
    >Sir:
    >
    >Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    >> Folks,
    >> in early December, I posted an article here about a problem I had after
    >> upgrading my machine's CPU from an Athlon XP1700 to XP2800.
    >> (Subject: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 won't boot ?)
    >>
    >> In short, on a multiboot system with AirBoot 1.01, loading either
    >> DOS, Warp4, or FreeBSD 5.1, the Warp 4 boot is delayed by so much
    >> that I thought it was hosed completely. Today, while digging for the
    >> boot floppies I thought I'd need to access the disk and repair
    >> things, the system decided that enough is enough and booted. Once up,
    >> all worked as usual, that is, well. Timing the whole thing: The delay
    >> from telling AirBoot to boot OS/2 until it actually starts is
    >> something like 95 seconds, reproducably. Any ideas what this could
    >> be, how it might be fixed etc? The system has 1 GB of RAM (pulling
    >> half of it doesn't change this delay), is rock stable under both
    >> FreeBSD 5.1 and OS/2 (once up), and has four SCSI disks hanging off a
    >> Tekram 390u2w controller. Then there is a SCSI DAT drive, a SCSI CR
    >> reader, and an ATAPI DVD rewriter hooked to the ide controller.
    >> The funny thing is that nothing changed apart from the CPU.
    >> Pointers welcome, as usual.

    >This sounds like an airboot problem. Have tried installing newer or
    >older version or even the same version of it?

    Not yet. Will try this weekend. Cheers, Stefan

    >--
    >Bill
    >Thanks a Million!

  20. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    wrote:
    >Sir:
    >
    >Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    >> Folks,
    >>
    >> in early December, I posted an article here about a problem I had after
    >> upgrading my machine's CPU from an Athlon XP1700 to XP2800.
    >> (Subject: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 won't boot ?)
    >>
    >> In short, on a multiboot system with AirBoot 1.01, loading either DOS,
    >> Warp4, or FreeBSD 5.1, the Warp 4 boot is delayed by so much that I
    >> thought it was hosed completely.
    >>
    >> Today, while digging for the boot floppies I thought I'd need to access
    >> the disk and repair things, the system decided that enough is enough and
    >> booted. Once up, all worked as usual, that is, well.
    >>
    >> Timing the whole thing: The delay from telling AirBoot to boot OS/2
    >> until it actually starts is something like 95 seconds, reproducably.
    >>
    >> Any ideas what this could be, how it might be fixed etc?
    >>
    >> The system has 1 GB of RAM (pulling half of it doesn't change this
    >> delay), is rock stable under both FreeBSD 5.1 and OS/2 (once up), and
    >> has four SCSI disks hanging off a Tekram 390u2w controller. Then there
    >> is a SCSI DAT drive, a SCSI CR reader, and an ATAPI DVD rewriter hooked
    >> to the ide controller.
    >>
    >> The funny thing is that nothing changed apart from the CPU.
    >>

    >> Pointers welcome, as usual.
    >>

    >This sounds like an airboot problem. Have tried installing newer or
    >older version or even the same version of it?

    O.K., by now I have updated AirBoot to version 1.03, it still boots
    neatly FreeBSD, but OS/2 only after a lenthly wait. From OS/2, I ran
    chkdsk (all is well) and fdisk (voices no complaints).

    It's probably time for a new kernel. How do I go about it?
    Do I just copy some files (which ones) from my ECS 1.2 machine, or
    will this confuse Warp 4 (non-LVM enabled, AFAIRC)? What's a man to do?

    Cheers,
    Stefan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast