Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds? - OS2

This is a discussion on Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds? - OS2 ; Sir: Stefan A. Deutscher wrote: > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:41:04 -0600, William L. Hartzell > wrote: > >>Sir: >> >>This sounds like an airboot problem. Have tried installing newer or >>older version or even the same version of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

  1. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    Sir:

    Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:41:04 -0600, William L. Hartzell
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Sir:
    >>

    >>This sounds like an airboot problem. Have tried installing newer or
    >>older version or even the same version of it?

    > O.K., by now I have updated AirBoot to version 1.03, it still boots
    > neatly FreeBSD, but OS/2 only after a lenthly wait. From OS/2, I ran
    > chkdsk (all is well) and fdisk (voices no complaints).
    >
    > It's probably time for a new kernel. How do I go about it?
    > Do I just copy some files (which ones) from my ECS 1.2 machine, or
    > will this confuse Warp 4 (non-LVM enabled, AFAIRC)? What's a man to do?

    How are you perceiving this long period of time? Is it from the time
    you select OS/2 in Airboot menu to when you see the white boot blob in
    the upper left corner or is it until you have a useable desktop? I know
    that it takes Boot Manager less than 200 milliseconds to paint that boot
    blob on my machine from the click in boot manager on OS/2. I'm running
    an Athlon XP 2000 with UDMA 4, 7200 rpm hard disk.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  2. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:11:50 +0000 (UTC), Stefan A. Deutscher
    wrote:
    >On 26 Jan 2005 17:57:44 GMT, Veit Kannegieser wrote:
    >>Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    >>
    >>> 'Start' means here the time from leaving AirBoot (v1.01) until disk
    >>> activity starts.

    >>I would also recommend trying another bootmanager. For example,
    >>add IBM BM, add it to the AirBoot menu, do a test boot via IBM BM.

    >Not sure I can, IBM BM needs a primary partition, doesn't it?
    >But I will have to re-examine my disk layout, maybe it can be done on
    >this machine.

    Following up to myself: I do have BM installed but boot around it. It
    showed the irritating habit of telling me twice that 'Drive 5 is not
    ready. Strike ENTER to continue ...' -- once before the blue BM window
    comes up, and once after I had made a selection and told it to actually
    boot something. This made it impractical for automated IPL, or graceful
    recovery after a power cycle. Which is why I went with AirBoot in the
    first place.

    Cheers,
    Stefan

  3. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 22:44:21 -0600, William L. Hartzell
    wrote:
    >Sir:
    >
    >Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    >> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:41:04 -0600, William L. Hartzell
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Sir:
    >>>

    >>>This sounds like an airboot problem. Have tried installing newer or
    >>>older version or even the same version of it?

    >> O.K., by now I have updated AirBoot to version 1.03, it still boots
    >> neatly FreeBSD, but OS/2 only after a lenthly wait. From OS/2, I ran
    >> chkdsk (all is well) and fdisk (voices no complaints).
    >>
    >> It's probably time for a new kernel. How do I go about it?
    >> Do I just copy some files (which ones) from my ECS 1.2 machine, or
    >> will this confuse Warp 4 (non-LVM enabled, AFAIRC)? What's a man to do?

    >How are you perceiving this long period of time? Is it from the time
    >you select OS/2 in Airboot menu to when you see the white boot blob in
    >the upper left corner

    Exactly. Except, I don't even _see_ the white boot blob. Pressing
    Alt-F1/F2 so far has always been too late.

    >or is it until you have a useable desktop? I know that it takes Boot
    >Manager less than 200 milliseconds to paint that boot blob on my
    >machine from the click in boot manager on OS/2. I'm running an Athlon
    >XP 2000 with UDMA 4, 7200 rpm hard disk.

    Yup, way to fast for me to even see it. The sequence is as follows:

    1. I hit 'Boot OS/2'
    2. The Airboot menu vanishes, and Airboot tells me 'Booting partition
    "OS/2", please wait ...'
    The system briefly has a very short disk access, as if it was
    fetching the loader
    3. Nothing happens for about 95 seconds. No blob, no disk activity, no
    nothing.
    4. All of a sudden, the system boots at near light speed, but even then
    cannot make up for the first 95 seconds of pondering about 'To boot,
    or not to boot, that is here the question'

    After having tried to disconnect all IDE stuff I suppose it is time to
    try a new kernel, or just put ECS 1.2 on it right away. (However, I'd
    love to keep Warp 4 bootable in order to configure the desk top and all
    that the way I am used to find it. Which is why I'd rather revive it
    first, then replace it.)

    Cheers, Stefan

    >--
    >Bill
    >Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    [...]
    > Yup, way to fast for me to even see it. The sequence is as follows:
    >
    > 1. I hit 'Boot OS/2'
    > 2. The Airboot menu vanishes, and Airboot tells me 'Booting partition
    > "OS/2", please wait ...'
    > The system briefly has a very short disk access, as if it was
    > fetching the loader
    > 3. Nothing happens for about 95 seconds. No blob, no disk activity, no
    > nothing.
    > 4. All of a sudden, the system boots at near light speed, but even then
    > cannot make up for the first 95 seconds of pondering about 'To boot,
    > or not to boot, that is here the question'
    >

    > After having tried to disconnect all IDE stuff I suppose it is time to
    > try a new kernel, or just put ECS 1.2 on it right away. (However, I'd
    > love to keep Warp 4 bootable in order to configure the desk top and all
    > that the way I am used to find it. Which is why I'd rather revive it
    > first, then replace it.)
    >

    > Cheers, Stefan

    I suspect that OS/2's loader is doing a system check. Or it may be
    sorting out the memory allocation. How much RAM do you have? Do you have
    the latest FPs that can handle that much RAM?

  5. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:12:58 -0500, Wolf Kirchmeir
    wrote:
    >Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    >[...]
    >>
    >> Yup, way to fast for me to even see it. The sequence is as follows:
    >>
    >> 1. I hit 'Boot OS/2'
    >> 2. The Airboot menu vanishes, and Airboot tells me 'Booting partition
    >> "OS/2", please wait ...'
    >> The system briefly has a very short disk access, as if it was
    >> fetching the loader
    >> 3. Nothing happens for about 95 seconds. No blob, no disk activity, no
    >> nothing.
    >> 4. All of a sudden, the system boots at near light speed, but even then
    >> cannot make up for the first 95 seconds of pondering about 'To boot,
    >> or not to boot, that is here the question'
    >>

    >> After having tried to disconnect all IDE stuff I suppose it is time to
    >> try a new kernel, or just put ECS 1.2 on it right away. (However, I'd
    >> love to keep Warp 4 bootable in order to configure the desk top and all
    >> that the way I am used to find it. Which is why I'd rather revive it
    >> first, then replace it.)
    >>
    >> Cheers, Stefan

    >I suspect that OS/2's loader is doing a system check. Or it may be
    >sorting out the memory allocation.

    Interesting. I have a Matrox G550 AGP graphics card with 32MB RAM. Maybe
    I can try setting the graphics window? Not that I have changed that in
    the course of swapping the chip, but you never know.

    Just tried 32 MB, 64 MB, 128 MB, and 256 MB Graphic Win Size, without a
    reduction of the delay.

    >How much RAM do you have?

    A modest Gig, 2x512 MB.

    >Do you have the latest FPs that can handle that much RAM?

    I have Warp 4 fp15 currently, no idea how much RAM it can handle well.
    However, given that after the delay it comes up fine and sees all the
    RAM (scrutil and some memory monitor util tell me), and uses it when I
    launch several large apps in different cmd sessions, I assume it does
    allright with it.

    Now, how would I go about updating kernel and/or loader?

    Cheers, Stefan

  6. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    [...]

    You seem to have enough RAM, so that's not the prob. Maybe PCI
    interrupts? I dunno. :-(

    > Now, how would I go about updating kernel and/or loader?
    >

    > Cheers, Stefan

    I can't answer that one either, sorry. Tried googling on "download OS/2
    kernels" by any chance?

    Good luck.

  7. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:48:19 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc,
    sa.deutscher@tiscali.de (Stefan A. Deutscher) wrote:

    > Now, how would I go about updating kernel and/or loader?

    0) Make sure your boot diskettes work!
    1) Backup \os2ldr, \os2ldr.msg and \os2krnl, maybe needing `attrib -r -s
    -h` run against them first to allow them to be changed
    2) Download a new kernel package from
    http://www.os2site.com/upgrades/upgrades.html or from
    http://www.os2site.com/sw/upgrades/kernel/index.html
    3) Unzip the contents of the file you downloaded into the root directory
    of your boot drive allowing it to overwrite all files and preserving the
    directory structure
    4) Shutdown and reboot and hope.

    I did have the problem that you currently have and I think it has to do
    with non-standard disk configuration. I'm pretty sure that when I had
    this it was on a machine where the on-board IDE controllers were both
    disabled as I had a PCI UDMA100 card installed instead. I think the
    presence of the disabled controllers confused it somehow...

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  8. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:

    >>How much RAM do you have?

    > A modest Gig, 2x512 MB.
    >

    >>Do you have the latest FPs that can handle that much RAM?

    > I have Warp 4 fp15 currently, no idea how much RAM it can handle well.
    > However, given that after the delay it comes up fine and sees all the
    > RAM (scrutil and some memory monitor util tell me), and uses it when I
    > launch several large apps in different cmd sessions, I assume it does
    > allright with it.
    >

    > Now, how would I go about updating kernel and/or loader?

    I don't know if it applies however there is a:
    FixPack XR_E001 for those installing or planning
    to install or increasing MEM to 512 and above.

    ciao.

  9. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:00:43 +0100, Mr. C
    wrote:

    >Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    >>>How much RAM do you have?

    >> A modest Gig, 2x512 MB.
    >>
    >>>Do you have the latest FPs that can handle that much RAM?

    >> I have Warp 4 fp15 currently, no idea how much RAM it can handle well.
    >> However, given that after the delay it comes up fine and sees all the
    >> RAM (scrutil and some memory monitor util tell me), and uses it when I
    >> launch several large apps in different cmd sessions, I assume it does
    >> allright with it.

    >I don't know if it applies however there is a: FixPack XR_E001 for
    >those installing or planning to install or increasing MEM to 512 and
    >above.

    Thanks! That was my first suspicion, too. However, pulling half the
    memory didn't change thing, and, after all, the system _does_ come up
    eventually and sees it all, it just thinks about life for 93 seconds
    before booting.

    Cheers, Stefan

  10. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    On 31 Jan 2005 05:33:56 GMT, Trevor Hemsley
    wrote:
    >On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:48:19 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc,
    >sa.deutscher@tiscali.de (Stefan A. Deutscher) wrote:
    >
    >> Now, how would I go about updating kernel and/or loader?

    >0) Make sure your boot diskettes work!
    >1) Backup \os2ldr, \os2ldr.msg and \os2krnl, maybe needing `attrib -r -s
    >-h` run against them first to allow them to be changed
    >2) Download a new kernel package from
    >http://www.os2site.com/upgrades/upgrades.html or from
    >http://www.os2site.com/sw/upgrades/kernel/index.html
    >3) Unzip the contents of the file you downloaded into the root directory
    >of your boot drive allowing it to overwrite all files and preserving the
    >directory structure
    >4) Shutdown and reboot and hope.
    >
    >I did have the problem that you currently have and I think it has to do
    >with non-standard disk configuration. I'm pretty sure that when I had
    >this it was on a machine where the on-board IDE controllers were both
    >disabled as I had a PCI UDMA100 card installed instead. I think the
    >presence of the disabled controllers confused it somehow...

    Hi Trevor,

    thanks for your pointer & explications. I followed them and tried two
    new kernels (14.100c from 20040616 or so, and 14.100o from 200501xx),
    but it did not change the behaviour at all. 93 seconds wait before the
    system continues to boot.
    It then boots fast & well, gets stuck again when trying to bring up the
    lan interface with ipconfig, and eventually tells me that it cannot
    (SIODIFADR). This is the same with all three kernels (Warp 4fp15, and
    the two new ones).

    I am flabbergasted! A quick check with pci049vkd reveals that irq10 is
    used by three parties:
    - The Intel Pro100 NIC, which worked fine before, and does in FReeBSD
    - The onboard USB chipset - which can be disabled but does not change
    things
    - The Crystal PCI audio card

    Either way, I am running out of ideas, so I will have to cook the data
    on a tape (provided that still works) and start over.

    Thanks again, and cheers,
    Stefan

    >--
    >Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    >Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  11. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    Sir:

    Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:

    > thanks for your pointer & explications. I followed them and tried two
    > new kernels (14.100c from 20040616 or so, and 14.100o from 200501xx),
    > but it did not change the behaviour at all. 93 seconds wait before the
    > system continues to boot.

    Have you tried fdisk/newmbr:0 and reinstall the boot manager?
    > It then boots fast & well, gets stuck again when trying to bring up the
    > lan interface with ipconfig, and eventually tells me that it cannot
    > (SIODIFADR). This is the same with all three kernels (Warp 4fp15, and
    > the two new ones).

    Post your setup.cmd to tackle this last problem.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  12. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 21:57:14 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc,
    sa.deutscher@tiscali.de (Stefan A. Deutscher) wrote:

    > tried two
    > new kernels (14.100c from 20040616 or so, and 14.100o from 200501xx),
    > but it did not change the behaviour at all. 93 seconds wait before the
    > system continues to boot.

    Did you also replace os2ldr?

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  13. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 17:22:52 -0600, William L. Hartzell
    wrote:
    >Sir:
    >
    >Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
    >
    >> thanks for your pointer & explications. I followed them and tried two
    >> new kernels (14.100c from 20040616 or so, and 14.100o from 200501xx),
    >> but it did not change the behaviour at all. 93 seconds wait before the
    >> system continues to boot.

    >Have you tried fdisk/newmbr:0 and reinstall the boot manager?

    fdisk/newmbr:0 I have not yet tried, somehow I am afraid of screwing a
    system that at least comes up still, and losing access to my FreeBSD
    partition. Will prepare for a recovery and will give it a shot one of
    these days.

    I did try to reinstall the boot manager, and that doesn't change things.
    Remember, this is a Warp4 fp15 (pre LVM) machine.

    >> It then boots fast & well, gets stuck again when trying to bring up the
    >> lan interface with ipconfig, and eventually tells me that it cannot
    >> (SIODIFADR). This is the same with all three kernels (Warp 4fp15, and
    >> the two new ones).
    >>

    >Post your setup.cmd to tackle this last problem.

    Will do in a separate thread.

    Cheers,
    Stefan

    >--
    >Bill
    >Thanks a Million!

  14. Re: Faster CPU (AMD 2800+), now Warp 4 boot delayed for 90 seconds?

    On 07 Feb 2005 11:58:45 GMT, Trevor Hemsley
    wrote:
    >On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 21:57:14 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc,
    >sa.deutscher@tiscali.de (Stefan A. Deutscher) wrote:
    >
    >> tried two new kernels (14.100c from 20040616 or so, and 14.100o from
    >> 200501xx), but it did not change the behaviour at all. 93 seconds
    >> wait before the system continues to boot.

    >Did you also replace os2ldr?

    Yes, I did. It's brandspankin' new but still ...

    Cheers, Stefan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2