Acrobat 4 stopped working - OS2

This is a discussion on Acrobat 4 stopped working - OS2 ; I did not do any significant change to the system (only some extensions to Firefox, and moved some icons from desktop); I needed to reboot[*]; I did it cleanly. Now Acrobat 4 "refuses" to work (it worked more or less ...

  1. Acrobat 4 stopped working

    I did not do any significant change to the system (only some
    extensions to Firefox, and moved some icons from desktop); I needed to
    reboot[*]; I did it cleanly.

    Now Acrobat 4 "refuses" to work (it worked more or less fine for a
    week before this). No entries in popup log file. If I open it
    separately, the splash screen appears, something is happening there,
    then it disappears. So is the process (yes, I know how to check
    this).

    If Acrobat is started from Firefox, the splash screen appears,
    something is happening there, then everything stops showing "Loading
    and certifying Movie32.api" on the splash screen. The CPU load is at
    100% and PM is irresponsible (Watchcat is fine) until, in a minute, a
    Firefox dialog appears about not being able to establish something or
    other with Acrobat.

    Any ideas what could cause it? [Acrobat5 is unusable on my system...]

    Thanks,
    Ilya
    [*] I pressed ^C at some unlucky time when a VIO process was writing
    to PRN. I got some PM-type messages about printer failure (?!);
    after this one can't open PRN for write (unfortunately, I did not
    try it with Perl to find the ERRNO). The only way to fix it was
    to reboot.

  2. Re: Acrobat 4 stopped working

    Sir:

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > I did not do any significant change to the system (only some
    > extensions to Firefox, and moved some icons from desktop); I needed to
    > reboot[*]; I did it cleanly.
    >
    > Now Acrobat 4 "refuses" to work (it worked more or less fine for a
    > week before this). No entries in popup log file. If I open it
    > separately, the splash screen appears, something is happening there,
    > then it disappears. So is the process (yes, I know how to check
    > this).
    >
    > If Acrobat is started from Firefox, the splash screen appears,
    > something is happening there, then everything stops showing "Loading
    > and certifying Movie32.api" on the splash screen. The CPU load is at
    > 100% and PM is irresponsible (Watchcat is fine) until, in a minute, a
    > Firefox dialog appears about not being able to establish something or
    > other with Acrobat.
    >
    > Any ideas what could cause it? [Acrobat5 is unusable on my system...]
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ilya
    >
    >[*] I pressed ^C at some unlucky time when a VIO process was writing
    > to PRN. I got some PM-type messages about printer failure (?!);
    > after this one can't open PRN for write (unfortunately, I did not
    > try it with Perl to find the ERRNO). The only way to fix it was
    > to reboot.

    Run checkini as associations may be fubar. Then, if not fixed, use
    Regedit/2 and the search function to look for acrobat string. This
    should also fix the firefox problem.

    The print problem: look in the wps printer object and clear out any
    print jobs. Then enable printing (change status-> release). Assume
    that the spooler is enabled.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: Acrobat 4 stopped working

    William L. Hartzell
    ], who wrote in article :

    > Run checkini as associations may be fubar. Then, if not fixed, use
    > Regedit/2 and the search function to look for acrobat string. This
    > should also fix the firefox problem.

    Ini file string is obviously OK, since firefox can *start* acrobat.
    But checkini completely skipped my mind, thanks.

    > The print problem: look in the wps printer object and clear out any
    > print jobs. Then enable printing (change status-> release). Assume
    > that the spooler is enabled.

    Of course, I did all of these. To no result. (I use this stuff -
    some wrappers about emtex' HP driver - all the time, and it is the
    first time I got in such a situation.)

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  4. Re: Acrobat 4 stopped working

    William L. Hartzell
    ], who wrote in article :

    > Run checkini as associations may be fubar.

    This has nothing to do with associations; I just start the program
    itself. But I rean checkini anyway. Did not help.

    Thanks for your suggestions,
    Ilya

  5. Re: Acrobat 4 stopped working

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 06:35:55 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

    > I did not do any significant change to the system (only some
    > extensions to Firefox, and moved some icons from desktop); I needed
    > to reboot[*]; I did it cleanly.
    >
    > Now Acrobat 4 "refuses" to work (it worked more or less fine for a
    > week before this). No entries in popup log file. If I open it
    > separately, the splash screen appears, something is happening there,
    > then it disappears. So is the process (yes, I know how to check
    > this).

    Try starting it from a VIO window -- see if there's any residue
    after the splash screen evaporates...

    Jonesy
    --
    | Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    | Gunnison, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __
    | 7,703' -- 2,345m | config.com | DM68mn SK

  6. Re: Acrobat 4 stopped working

    Allodoxaphobia
    ], who wrote in article :

    > Try starting it from a VIO window -- see if there's any residue
    > after the splash screen evaporates...

    I always start my programs from VIO windows (or at least those which
    require variable parameters). No output on STDOUT and STDERR...

    This is no surprising since it is a from-Win* port, and I do not
    recall anybody reporting one can do a trick like

    program |& cat -

    on Win*...

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  7. Re: Acrobat 4 stopped working

    As the "new" Acrobat Reader is a Win32/Odin application (indeed parts
    of the German Odin engine were used to port this app), you can forget
    any suggestion about OS2*.INI.
    Win32 apps don't write or read from there.
    You strongly(!) suspect come corrupted entries in your *.dat files
    (OS/2 version of Win32 Registry files).
    Even so they tend to be rather stable, if they do get corrupted Win32
    apps tend to react with very little tolerance for failure - and often
    simply stop to work entirely.
    Since Acrobat is a Win32 app, it does not matter what you did to your
    WPS or to FireFox, which is a native OS/2 application.
    Indeed, Adobe Acrobat can't even use the WPS classes.
    The only time anything you do to the WPS could make a difference here
    is if your WPS gets so corrupted that the entire system becomes
    unstable.
    But I suspect that not to be the case here.
    I have yet to figure out how exactly *.dat files can get corrupted
    under OS/2, but it did happen to me under the most benign of
    circumstances and only my backup copies could safe the day for me.
    So check the time stamps on those files for recent changes.
    They are hidden, so you have to use the "/a" flag.
    Other than that, I could only recommend a clean re-install of Innotek's
    Acrobat engine, which might also resolve your problems.
    The "Movie32.api" in FireFox sounds like a plugin issue for me, which
    might point to a simple communications issue, because FireFox tries to
    connect with the Adobe engine and can't.
    It doesn't even need to be anything related to "movie playing", its
    just that FF never gets to complete API initialization when trying to
    launch the Acrobat Reader.
    Again, you can forget WPS associations as the cause here, as well as
    the OS*.INI files.
    Also, POPUPLOG.OS2 will not catch Win32 errors. The Odin engine has its
    own error logging mechanism, so check the Win32 directory for log
    files.
    Innotek's Win32 engine is built on Odin, but seperate from any previous
    Odin installation!!!
    So you have to look up the log files in whatever directory you
    installed Innotek's Win32 support engine.
    Hope this helps
    DD

  8. Re: Acrobat 4 stopped working

    ], who wrote in article <1106593170.693898.150140@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>:
    > You strongly(!) suspect come corrupted entries in your *.dat files
    > (OS/2 version of Win32 Registry files).

    Those on the root of the boot drive did not change during the last
    year. There are some .ini files in INNOTEK directory; but it was
    completely reinstalled after the failure, with no improvement.

    > Other than that, I could only recommend a clean re-install of Innotek's
    > Acrobat engine, which might also resolve your problems.

    No, it did not help...

    > The "Movie32.api" in FireFox sounds like a plugin issue for me, which
    > might point to a simple communications issue, because FireFox tries to
    > connect with the Adobe engine and can't.
    > It doesn't even need to be anything related to "movie playing", its
    > just that FF never gets to complete API initialization when trying to
    > launch the Acrobat Reader.

    I suspect that it is just the last message AcroRead shows on its
    splash screen...

    > Also, POPUPLOG.OS2 will not catch Win32 errors. The Odin engine has its
    > own error logging mechanism, so check the Win32 directory for log
    > files.
    > Innotek's Win32 engine is built on Odin, but seperate from any previous
    > Odin installation!!!
    > So you have to look up the log files in whatever directory you
    > installed Innotek's Win32 support engine.

    No log files whatsoever found there (or in Acrobat directory).

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  9. Re: Acrobat 4 stopped working

    Did you install any(!) DLLs recently that might interfere with the
    Win32 engine?
    Check your libpath for any DLLs with the same name that might be found
    before the original ones.

    Also, you can run the Odin Win32 engine in debug mode, which will flood
    you with messages, but also tell you what happens when.
    Check if your Innotek Win32 setting allows the same.

    Last not least, use a system scanner like Theseus to check what files
    are active and which DLLs, ini files and the like your Acrobot engine
    accesses when it gets stuck.

  10. Re: Acrobat 4 stopped working

    ], who wrote in article <1106807049.416536.39580@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.c om>:
    > Also, you can run the Odin Win32 engine in debug mode, which will flood
    > you with messages, but also tell you what happens when.
    > Check if your Innotek Win32 setting allows the same.

    Were are these settings? I do not remember any choice given...

    > Last not least, use a system scanner like Theseus to check what files
    > are active and which DLLs, ini files and the like your Acrobot engine
    > accesses when it gets stuck.

    This is a great idea; unfortunately, AcroRead manages to block all
    other PM UI activity (I can switch to watchcat, and see that it runs
    on priority 200; how it may block all the other UI stuff for this
    minute it runs I can't fathom...).

    Thanks,
    Ilya

+ Reply to Thread