OS/2 and XP Peer - OS2

This is a discussion on OS/2 and XP Peer - OS2 ; Hello again I'd like my eCS desktop to be able to see my laptop when it is running (yeugh) XP. It can't. They have the same workgroup, the same username and the same password. On the eCS machine, under "Select ...

  1. OS/2 and XP Peer

    Hello again

    I'd like my eCS desktop to be able to see my laptop when it is running
    (yeugh) XP. It can't.

    They have the same workgroup, the same username and the same password.

    On the eCS machine, under "Select Interfaces for File and Printer
    Sharing" both "NetBIOS over TCP/IP (TCPBEUI)" are selected.

    On the XP machine, under "Local Area Connection Properties", "Client
    for Microsoft Networks", "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft
    Networks", "QoS Packet Scheduler", "NWLink NetBIOS", "NWLink
    IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" (these two come as a
    pair) and "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" are all selected

    Neither machine can see (net view / show workgroup computers) the
    other. I have an old W98 laptop which talks to the eCS box just fine.
    The laptop is talking to the LAN fine - it picks up a DNS address from
    the router and browses the outside world. I have set the LMAnnounce
    parameter as instrcuted in the ECS installation book.

    Can anyone enlighten me? I bet I'm missing something simple!

    Ian

    --

  2. Re: OS/2 and XP Peer

    In , "Ian Johnston" writes:
    >Hello again
    >
    >I'd like my eCS desktop to be able to see my laptop when it is running
    >(yeugh) XP. It can't.
    >
    >They have the same workgroup, the same username and the same password.
    >
    >On the eCS machine, under "Select Interfaces for File and Printer
    >Sharing" both "NetBIOS over TCP/IP (TCPBEUI)" are selected.
    >
    >On the XP machine, under "Local Area Connection Properties", "Client
    >for Microsoft Networks", "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft
    >Networks", "QoS Packet Scheduler", "NWLink NetBIOS", "NWLink
    >IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" (these two come as a
    >pair) and "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" are all selected
    >
    >Neither machine can see (net view / show workgroup computers) the
    >other. I have an old W98 laptop which talks to the eCS box just fine.
    >The laptop is talking to the LAN fine - it picks up a DNS address from
    >the router and browses the outside world. I have set the LMAnnounce
    >parameter as instrcuted in the ECS installation book.
    >
    >Can anyone enlighten me? I bet I'm missing something simple!

    1) Do you plug your XP laptop into one or more LANs elsewhere?
    2) If yes, what protocols do these LANs employ?
    3) What protocols are employed on your W98 laptop?

    I am not a mobile user, so I employ static IP addresses for TCP/IP work,
    and Netbeui for File and Print sharing.

    Many Win users appear not to realise that Netbeui File and Print sharing
    has nothing to do with the internet and is completely independent of it.
    Failure to differentiate between the two causes a lot of grief.

  3. Re: OS/2 and XP Peer

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:45:01 UTC, johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:

    : >Can anyone enlighten me? I bet I'm missing something simple!
    :
    : 1) Do you plug your XP laptop into one or more LANs elsewhere?

    No - just got it!

    : 2) If yes, what protocols do these LANs employ?

    n/a

    : 3) What protocols are employed on your W98 laptop?

    NETBeui and TCP/IP

    I've just checked (it was late, so I didn't think of this last night)
    and added the old laptop to the network.
    And ...

    W98 can see OS/2 (and vice versa)

    W98 can see XP (and vice versa)

    OS/2 can't see XP (and vice versa)

    Ian

  4. Re: OS/2 and XP Peer

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 03:27:46 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, "Ian
    Johnston" wrote:

    > On the XP machine, under "Local Area Connection Properties", "Client
    > for Microsoft Networks", "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft
    > Networks", "QoS Packet Scheduler",

    These you need - the QoS isn't required but shouldn't hurt.

    > "NWLink NetBIOS", "NWLink
    > IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" (these two come as a
    > pair)

    These two you don't need and should remove - unless you need to talk to
    a Novell Netware network?

    > and "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" are all selected

    You need this one too. In its properties pages, click advanced and turn
    to the WNIS tab and see what the status of NetBIOS over TCP/IP is there.
    It will need to be enabled.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  5. Re: OS/2 and XP Peer

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:49:04 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    : > "NWLink NetBIOS", "NWLink
    : > IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" (these two come as a
    : > pair)
    :
    : These two you don't need and should remove - unless you need to talk to
    : a Novell Netware network?

    Willl do. It was 3am and I was getting desperate!

    : > and "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" are all selected
    :
    : You need this one too. In its properties pages, click advanced and turn
    : to the WNIS tab and see what the status of NetBIOS over TCP/IP is there.
    : It will need to be enabled.

    Problem now found and sorted. XP does not support NETBeui. It's there,
    but you have to move the drivers into place manually. Did that, all
    happy now!

    Ian

  6. Re: OS/2 and XP Peer

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:15:10 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, "Ian
    Johnston" wrote:

    > Problem now found and sorted. XP does not support NETBeui. It's there,
    > but you have to move the drivers into place manually. Did that, all
    > happy now!

    You don't _need_ NetBEUI either - should work with just NetBIOS over
    TCP/IP enabled.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  7. Re: OS/2 and XP Peer

    : Johnston" wrote:
    :
    : > Problem now found and sorted. XP does not support NETBeui. It's there,
    : > but you have to move the drivers into place manually. Did that, all
    : > happy now!
    :
    : You don't _need_ NetBEUI either - should work with just NetBIOS over
    : TCP/IP enabled.

    Is that at the OS/2 end or the XP end? Sorry if this is a daft
    question - networking makes my head hurt!

    Ian

  8. Re: OS/2 and XP Peer

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:13:31 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, "Ian
    Johnston" wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:32:50 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    > wrote:
    >
    > : On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:15:10 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, "Ian
    > : Johnston" wrote:
    > :
    > : > Problem now found and sorted. XP does not support NETBeui. It's there,
    > : > but you have to move the drivers into place manually. Did that, all
    > : > happy now!
    > :
    > : You don't _need_ NetBEUI either - should work with just NetBIOS over
    > : TCP/IP enabled.
    >
    > Is that at the OS/2 end or the XP end? Sorry if this is a daft
    > question - networking makes my head hurt!

    On XP I have:
    Client for MS Networks
    File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on the
    advanced WINS tab inside this.

    On OS/2 I have:
    Intel(R) Pro PCI Adapter
    0 - IBM OS/2 NetBIOS
    1 - IBM OS/2 NetBIOS over TCP/IP
    0 - IBM TCP/IP

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  9. Re: OS/2 and XP Peer

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:50:15 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    : > Is that at the OS/2 end or the XP end? Sorry if this is a daft
    : > question - networking makes my head hurt!
    :
    : On XP I have:
    : Client for MS Networks
    : File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks
    : Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on the
    : advanced WINS tab inside this.
    :
    : On OS/2 I have:
    : Intel(R) Pro PCI Adapter
    : 0 - IBM OS/2 NetBIOS
    : 1 - IBM OS/2 NetBIOS over TCP/IP
    : 0 - IBM TCP/IP

    Thanks. I just tried getting rid of NETBeui and enabling NetBIOS over
    TCP/IP and once again the connection goes. NETBeui back ... connection
    back. I must have missed something!

    Ian

  10. Re: OS/2 and XP Peer

    On 12 Jan 2005 15:14:36 GMT, Ian Johnston
    wrote:

    >: On OS/2 I have:
    >: Intel(R) Pro PCI Adapter
    >: 0 - IBM OS/2 NetBIOS
    >: 1 - IBM OS/2 NetBIOS over TCP/IP
    >: 0 - IBM TCP/IP
    >
    > Thanks. I just tried getting rid of NETBeui and enabling NetBIOS over
    > TCP/IP and once again the connection goes. NETBeui back ... connection
    > back. I must have missed something!

    When you do this, are you changing the logical adapter number above to
    0 for Netbios over TCP/IP? Or are you changing IBMLAN.INI to match how
    MPTS is set up?
    You can't change one without changing the other...

  11. Re: OS/2 and XP Peer

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:21:48 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:

    : On 12 Jan 2005 15:14:36 GMT, Ian Johnston
    : wrote:
    :
    : >: On OS/2 I have:
    : >: Intel(R) Pro PCI Adapter
    : >: 0 - IBM OS/2 NetBIOS
    : >: 1 - IBM OS/2 NetBIOS over TCP/IP
    : >: 0 - IBM TCP/IP
    : >
    : > Thanks. I just tried getting rid of NETBeui and enabling NetBIOS over
    : > TCP/IP and once again the connection goes. NETBeui back ... connection
    : > back. I must have missed something!
    :
    : When you do this, are you changing the logical adapter number above to
    : 0 for Netbios over TCP/IP? Or are you changing IBMLAN.INI to match how
    : MPTS is set up?
    : You can't change one without changing the other...

    Sorry, I was being unclear again. I haven't changed anything on OS/2 -
    it was on XP that NETBeui seems essential.

    Ian

    --

  12. Re: OS/2 and XP Peer

    On 12 Jan 2005 22:31:28 GMT, Ian Johnston
    wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:21:48 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    > wrote:
    >
    >: On 12 Jan 2005 15:14:36 GMT, Ian Johnston
    >: wrote:
    >:
    >: >: On OS/2 I have:
    >: >: Intel(R) Pro PCI Adapter
    >: >: 0 - IBM OS/2 NetBIOS
    >: >: 1 - IBM OS/2 NetBIOS over TCP/IP
    >: >: 0 - IBM TCP/IP
    >: >
    >: > Thanks. I just tried getting rid of NETBeui and enabling NetBIOS over
    >: > TCP/IP and once again the connection goes. NETBeui back ... connection
    >: > back. I must have missed something!
    >:
    >: When you do this, are you changing the logical adapter number above to
    >: 0 for Netbios over TCP/IP? Or are you changing IBMLAN.INI to match how
    >: MPTS is set up?
    >: You can't change one without changing the other...
    >
    > Sorry, I was being unclear again. I haven't changed anything on OS/2 -
    > it was on XP that NETBeui seems essential.

    OK, but have you enabled the Peer software on OS/2 to work on both
    Netbios and Netbios over TCP/IP? I suspect not and that you only have it
    set up to work on logical adapter 0 i.e. Netbios, given your above setup.
    You need it to be on logical adapter 1 as well to work on both protocols.

    Alternatively, if you remove Netbios from both machines and put Netbios
    over TCP/IP on logical adapter 0 on the OS/2 machine, then I reckon it
    will work (i say that without the benefit of seeing the config. files!!!)

  13. Re: OS/2 and XP Peer

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 00:33:38 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:

    : OK, but have you enabled the Peer software on OS/2 to work on both
    : Netbios and Netbios over TCP/IP? I suspect not and that you only have it
    : set up to work on logical adapter 0 i.e. Netbios, given your above setup.
    : You need it to be on logical adapter 1 as well to work on both protocols.

    Thanks for your help. The setup details were from Trevor. Here's what
    I (think) I have...

    Under "Select Interfaces for Sharing" I have

    0 NetBIOS over TCP/IP (TCPBEUI)
    1 Basic NetBIOS (NETBEUI)

    Under "Adaptor and Protocol Configuration" I have

    1 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS
    0 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP
    0 - IBM TCP/IP

    It seems that I can only do NetBIOS at the moment, and not the
    -over-TCP/IP version. If you (or anyone) can tell me what silly
    mistake I have made I'd be very grateful!

    For what it's worth the OS/2 box has a static IP address
    (192.168.42.2) and the Windows boxes get theirs from a DHCP server in
    my router.

    Thanks again,

    Ian
    --

  14. Re: OS/2 and XP Peer

    My opinion is that right now, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Netbios
    is a good protocol for a small peer network, because it can't be
    routed over the internet. that makes it less susceptible to hackers.

    --

  15. Re: OS/2 and XP Peer

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:20:11 UTC, "Mark Klebanoff"
    wrote:

    : My opinion is that right now, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Netbios
    : is a good protocol for a small peer network, because it can't be
    : routed over the internet. that makes it less susceptible to hackers.

    Good point. It's just that, for personal satisfaction, I'd like to
    know what I'm doing wrong, or not doing!

    Ian

    --

  16. Re: OS/2 and XP Peer

    Well, half the time I get that kind of curiosity I end up spending
    days trying to fix the damage!

    --

  17. Re: OS/2 and XP Peer

    Ian Johnston wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 00:33:38 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    > wrote:
    >
    > : OK, but have you enabled the Peer software on OS/2 to work on both
    > : Netbios and Netbios over TCP/IP? I suspect not and that you only have it
    > : set up to work on logical adapter 0 i.e. Netbios, given your above setup.
    > : You need it to be on logical adapter 1 as well to work on both protocols.
    >
    > Thanks for your help. The setup details were from Trevor. Here's what
    > I (think) I have...
    >
    > Under "Select Interfaces for Sharing" I have
    >
    > 0 NetBIOS over TCP/IP (TCPBEUI)
    > 1 Basic NetBIOS (NETBEUI)
    >
    > Under "Adaptor and Protocol Configuration" I have
    >
    > 1 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS
    > 0 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP
    > 0 - IBM TCP/IP

    I'd switch the above settings around to:

    0 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS
    1 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP
    0 - IBM TCP/IP

    > It seems that I can only do NetBIOS at the moment, and not the
    > -over-TCP/IP version. If you (or anyone) can tell me what silly
    > mistake I have made I'd be very grateful!
    >
    > For what it's worth the OS/2 box has a static IP address
    > (192.168.42.2) and the Windows boxes get theirs from a DHCP server in
    > my router.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Ian

  18. Re: OS/2 and XP Peer

    Sir:

    Daniel Jones wrote:

    > Ian Johnston wrote:
    >

    >> 0 NetBIOS over TCP/IP (TCPBEUI)
    >> 1 Basic NetBIOS (NETBEUI)
    >>
    >> Under "Adaptor and Protocol Configuration" I have
    >>
    >> 1 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS
    >> 0 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP
    >> 0 - IBM TCP/IP

    > I'd switch the above settings around to:
    >
    > 0 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS
    > 1 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP
    > 0 - IBM TCP/IP
    >

    >> It seems that I can only do NetBIOS at the moment, and not the
    >> -over-TCP/IP version. If you (or anyone) can tell me what silly
    >> mistake I have made I'd be very grateful!
    >>
    >> For what it's worth the OS/2 box has a static IP address
    >> (192.168.42.2) and the Windows boxes get theirs from a DHCP server in
    >> my router.

    If one runs \IBMLAN\INSTALL\LANINST.exe or Peerinst.exe, whichever is
    available, and select the tailored, not easy, path and select ok or
    configure where offered, Peer will work with the virtual adapters,
    whichever way they are installed, and must be done if their order in
    MPTS is changed, in order for Peer to have a chance of working.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  19. Re: OS/2 and XP Peer

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 21:54:22 -0600, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >>> 0 NetBIOS over TCP/IP (TCPBEUI)
    >>> 1 Basic NetBIOS (NETBEUI)
    >>>
    >>> Under "Adaptor and Protocol Configuration" I have
    >>>
    >>> 1 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS
    >>> 0 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP
    >>> 0 - IBM TCP/IP

    >> I'd switch the above settings around to:
    >>
    >> 0 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS
    >> 1 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP
    >> 0 - IBM TCP/IP

    It shouldn't make any difference which order they're in. (As long as
    IBMLAN and PROTOCOL agree with each other.)

    > If one runs \IBMLAN\INSTALL\LANINST.exe or Peerinst.exe, whichever is
    > available, and select the tailored, not easy, path and select ok or
    > configure where offered, Peer will work with the virtual adapters,
    > whichever way they are installed, and must be done if their order in
    > MPTS is changed, in order for Peer to have a chance of working.

    The "Select Interfaces for Sharing" applet in eCS 1.2 (what the OP used)
    will do this with much less hassle.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

  20. Re: OS/2 and XP Peer

    Sir:

    Alex Taylor wrote:

    >>>I'd switch the above settings around to:
    >>>
    >>>0 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS
    >>>1 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP
    >>>0 - IBM TCP/IP

    > It shouldn't make any difference which order they're in. (As long as
    > IBMLAN and PROTOCOL agree with each other.)

    That was the previous poster's suggestion....

    >>If one runs \IBMLAN\INSTALL\LANINST.exe or Peerinst.exe, whichever is
    >>available, and select the tailored, not easy, path and select ok or
    >>configure where offered, Peer will work with the virtual adapters,
    >>whichever way they are installed, and must be done if their order in
    >>MPTS is changed, in order for Peer to have a chance of working.

    > The "Select Interfaces for Sharing" applet in eCS 1.2 (what the OP used)
    > will do this with much less hassle.

    If he is using eCS 1.2 specific applet, then this is an eCS problem, for
    which my suggestion still works.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!