Epson Stylus Photo 2100 - OS2

This is a discussion on Epson Stylus Photo 2100 - OS2 ; Hi there, does anyone print with the Epson Stylus Photo 2100 (2880x1440 dpi, pigment ink), with good results, especially printing photographs? I'm thinking about replacing my Stylus Photo 1270 (1440x720 dpi, liquid ink), which now begins showing signs of age. ...

  1. Epson Stylus Photo 2100

    Hi there,

    does anyone print with the Epson Stylus Photo 2100 (2880x1440 dpi,
    pigment ink), with good results, especially printing photographs?

    I'm thinking about replacing my Stylus Photo 1270 (1440x720 dpi, liquid
    ink), which now begins showing signs of age. As far as I can see,
    though, it seems to be the latest Stylus Photo model for which there's
    an OS/2 driver. Or have I missed somerhing? Is there any way to maybe
    get support for later printers?

    What do you think - is there a chance to stay with OS/2 for another
    while, if you're more and more into digital photography? While for
    everyday processing I'm still moderately happy with PMView and the
    results from the 1270 printer (for "real" prints I upload them to a
    photo lab, anyway), the occasions come more and more often that I would
    need things like RAW support, correction of barrel or pincushion
    distortion or perspective, stitching panoramas and things like that...

    Cheers (and a happy new year to all),
    Robert

  2. Re: Epson Stylus Photo 2100

    On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:10:06 UTC, rs@iemp.net (Robert Schroeder) wrote:
    > does anyone print with the Epson Stylus Photo 2100 (2880x1440 dpi,
    > pigment ink), with good results, especially printing photographs?
    >
    > I'm thinking about replacing my Stylus Photo 1270 (1440x720 dpi, liquid
    > ink), which now begins showing signs of age. As far as I can see,
    > though, it seems to be the latest Stylus Photo model for which there's
    > an OS/2 driver. Or have I missed somerhing? Is there any way to maybe
    > get support for later printers?

    I doubt the 2100 will work correctly with the 1270 driver. I was
    looking at the difference between the Epson developer documents for
    the R300 (6-color) and C8x (4-color) printers and noticed that the
    resolution for raster command had changed. The Epson printing relies
    heavily on the nozzle arrangement on the print head; certain colors
    are assigned certain nozzles. On the C8x series, there is a column of
    black on each head. If they used the same type of arrangement for the
    Photo printers, then it's possible that the 1270 driver would only
    occasionally mix up the black and light black colors. IAC, the max.
    resolution would be limited to the 1270's max resolution.

    --
    Lee W. Riemenschneider
    GO BOILERS!

  3. Re: Epson Stylus Photo 2100

    On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:10:06 UTC, rs@iemp.net (Robert Schroeder) wrote:

    -> Hi there,
    ->
[...]

    I can't speak for the 2100, but I use the EPOMNI3 driver, selecting
    the 870 for my epson Photo 820. It only supports to 1440x720, but the
    photo printouts are very good. I've heard that the EPOMNI5 (for the
    Epson C80) works with the newer versions of that printer (C84 and
    C86), but again if there are added features they wouldn't be
    supported.

    Right now current printer support is one of the biggest holes in OS/2
    support.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Where?/When? Stay tuned to - http://www.warpstock.org

  4. Re: Epson Stylus Photo 2100

    I may be wrong but I seem to remember that the 2100 is effectively
    obsolete with some new models now out which are much cheaper for the
    same specs. Was 2100 the one with 5 or 6 inks?

    Robert Schroeder wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > does anyone print with the Epson Stylus Photo 2100 (2880x1440 dpi,
    > pigment ink), with good results, especially printing photographs?
    >
    > I'm thinking about replacing my Stylus Photo 1270 (1440x720 dpi, liquid
    > ink), which now begins showing signs of age. As far as I can see,
    > though, it seems to be the latest Stylus Photo model for which there's
    > an OS/2 driver. Or have I missed somerhing? Is there any way to maybe
    > get support for later printers?
    >
    > What do you think - is there a chance to stay with OS/2 for another
    > while, if you're more and more into digital photography? While for
    > everyday processing I'm still moderately happy with PMView and the
    > results from the 1270 printer (for "real" prints I upload them to a
    > photo lab, anyway), the occasions come more and more often that I would
    > need things like RAW support, correction of barrel or pincushion
    > distortion or perspective, stitching panoramas and things like that...
    >
    > Cheers (and a happy new year to all),
    > Robert

  5. Re: Epson Stylus Photo 2100

    On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 18:19:18 UTC, "Lee Riemenschneider"
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:10:06 UTC, rs@iemp.net (Robert Schroeder) wrote:
    > > does anyone print with the Epson Stylus Photo 2100 (2880x1440 dpi,
    > > pigment ink), with good results, especially printing photographs?
    > >
    > > I'm thinking about replacing my Stylus Photo 1270 (1440x720 dpi, liquid
    > > ink), which now begins showing signs of age. As far as I can see,
    > > though, it seems to be the latest Stylus Photo model for which there's
    > > an OS/2 driver. Or have I missed somerhing? Is there any way to maybe
    > > get support for later printers?
    > >

    > I doubt the 2100 will work correctly with the 1270 driver. I was
    > looking at the difference between the Epson developer documents for
    > the R300 (6-color) and C8x (4-color) printers and noticed that the
    > resolution for raster command had changed. The Epson printing relies
    > heavily on the nozzle arrangement on the print head; certain colors
    > are assigned certain nozzles. On the C8x series, there is a column of
    > black on each head. If they used the same type of arrangement for the
    > Photo printers, then it's possible that the 1270 driver would only
    > occasionally mix up the black and light black colors. IAC, the max.
    > resolution would be limited to the 1270's max resolution.

    The Epson R300 will work using USBPRINT and the Stylus 1200 driver,
    but the photo print quality is not great.

    The in-built card readers work under OS/2 also.

    -------------------
    Richard

  6. Re: Epson Stylus Photo 2100

    Bob McLellan schrieb:

    > I may be wrong but I seem to remember that the 2100 is effectively
    > obsolete with some new models now out which are much cheaper for the
    > same specs. Was 2100 the one with 5 or 6 inks?

    Don't know, I happened to be stuble upon an a sensibly priced offer of a
    used model, so the question arose. The said model seems to be sold now,
    so I'm out of every hurry ;-)

    Cheers,
    Robert

+ Reply to Thread