Icecast - OS2

This is a discussion on Icecast - OS2 ; Has anyone had any success running the OS/2 port of ICECAST? Actually there are two ports. I can get the earlier port working but it doesn't perform very well, but I can't get the later port (v1.3.1) set up at ...

  1. Icecast

    Has anyone had any success running the OS/2 port of ICECAST?

    Actually there are two ports. I can get the earlier port working but
    it doesn't perform very well, but I can't get the later port (v1.3.1)
    set up at all.

    I'd be interested to know if anyone has got it working reliably...

    It's available here:-

    http://birdy.os2.ru/files/icecast-1.3.1-alpha.zip

  2. Re: Icecast

    jp wrote:
    > Has anyone had any success running the OS/2 port of ICECAST?
    >
    > Actually there are two ports. I can get the earlier port working but
    > it doesn't perform very well, but I can't get the later port (v1.3.1)
    > set up at all.
    >
    > I'd be interested to know if anyone has got it working reliably...
    >
    > It's available here:-
    >
    > http://birdy.os2.ru/files/icecast-1.3.1-alpha.zip

    Yes, I run it. But I think the version is 1.3.7
    it performs ok. I run a stream with icecast and shout.
    put http://www.warpedradio.org:8000 into z! to listen.
    I'd like to see it updated

    Regards,

    Warped

  3. Re: Icecast

    Warped_One wrote:

    > jp wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone had any success running the OS/2 port of ICECAST?
    >>
    >> Actually there are two ports. I can get the earlier port working
    >> but it doesn't perform very well, but I can't get the later port
    >> (v1.3.1) set up at all.
    >>
    >> I'd be interested to know if anyone has got it working reliably...
    >>
    >> It's available here:-
    >>
    >> http://birdy.os2.ru/files/icecast-1.3.1-alpha.zip

    > Yes, I run it. But I think the version is 1.3.7
    > it performs ok.

    Do you have a source for this version?

    And any tips for setting it up?

    > I run a stream with icecast and shout.
    > put http://www.warpedradio.org:8000 into z! to listen.
    > I'd like to see it updated

    Are there any patches included?

    I don't think the OS/2 version is being maintained any more but
    sometimes reapplying existing patches to the latest source works (more
    often it doesn't...)

    > Regards,
    >
    > Warped

  4. Re: Icecast

    jp wrote:

    > Do you have a source for this version?
    >
    > And any tips for setting it up?
    >
    > Are there any patches included?
    >
    > I don't think the OS/2 version is being maintained any more but
    > sometimes reapplying existing patches to the latest source works (more
    > often it doesn't...)

    Sorry, at first glance I don't see any source code.
    And, looking at what apps I use I'm not exactly sure where I got the
    executable. I looked at one app called madcast. Hobbes has some stuff.
    Google will help with the rest.

    As far as tips go. First, let me say I spent many many days to get this to work.
    It took time for me to read and guess at some parameters... And, I still have
    work to do.
    I have not compiled anything...

    Your situation may be different. But, I am basically doing is:
    drecord | lame | shout > icecast server. (parameters deleted)

    What do you want to do?

    Regards

  5. Re: Icecast

    Warped_One wrote:
    > jp wrote:
    >

    > > Do you have a source for this version?
    > >
    > > And any tips for setting it up?
    > >
    > > Are there any patches included?
    > >
    > > I don't think the OS/2 version is being maintained any more but
    > > sometimes reapplying existing patches to the latest source works (more
    > > often it doesn't...)
    > >

    > Sorry, at first glance I don't see any source code.
    > And, looking at what apps I use I'm not exactly sure where I got the
    > executable. I looked at one app called madcast. Hobbes has some stuff.
    > Google will help with the rest.

    I couldn't find 1.3.7 anywhere...

    > As far as tips go. First, let me say I spent many many days to get this
    > to work.

    I got one version (the first port) working in a few minutes, but
    couldn't get a newer port working at all - it ended up with a number of
    unkillable processes on my system.

    > It took time for me to read and guess at some parameters... And, I still
    > have work to do.
    > I have not compiled anything...
    >
    > Your situation may be different. But, I am basically doing is:
    > drecord | lame | shout > icecast server. (parameters deleted)
    >
    > What do you want to do?

    Initially I'd like to stream an MP3 file, although having a playlist at
    some point would be nice. I'd also like to be able to stream output from
    radio - there's a radio module on my WinTV card.

    > Regards

  6. Re: Icecast

    jp wrote:
    > Warped_One wrote:
    >
    >> jp wrote:
    >>

    >> > Do you have a source for this version?
    >> >
    >> > And any tips for setting it up?
    >> >
    >> > Are there any patches included?
    >> >
    >> > I don't think the OS/2 version is being maintained any more but
    >> > sometimes reapplying existing patches to the latest source works (more
    >> > often it doesn't...)
    >> >

    >> Sorry, at first glance I don't see any source code.
    >> And, looking at what apps I use I'm not exactly sure where I got the
    >> executable. I looked at one app called madcast. Hobbes has some stuff.
    >> Google will help with the rest.

    > I couldn't find 1.3.7 anywhere...
    >
    >> As far as tips go. First, let me say I spent many many days to get
    >> this to work.

    > I got one version (the first port) working in a few minutes, but
    > couldn't get a newer port working at all - it ended up with a number of
    > unkillable processes on my system.
    >
    >> It took time for me to read and guess at some parameters... And, I
    >> still have work to do.
    >> I have not compiled anything...
    >>
    >> Your situation may be different. But, I am basically doing is:
    >> drecord | lame | shout > icecast server. (parameters deleted)
    >>
    >> What do you want to do?

    > Initially I'd like to stream an MP3 file, although having a playlist at
    > some point would be nice. I'd also like to be able to stream output from
    > radio - there's a radio module on my WinTV card.
    >

    >> Regards

    I have searched again and cannot find the zip archive where icecast
    1.3.7 appeared. The only way I know it is 1.3.7 is that is what it says
    when it starts. (even from the command line) I suppose I could zip it up
    and put it on hobbes. Or,
    if you want to send me an email I'll send it to you.
    I did notice that there is a parameter in the properties notebook "-d ."
    (It tells icecast to look in the current directory for the config file.)
    What is the error you see on the later port?

    You may want to also find the icerexx or mp3cast packages as they handle
    playlists. Or, as in my case, use Z! as the player and use an analog
    link to a separate icecast server box. I have played a little with PERL
    to "play" tunes direct to the server. However, depending on the sound
    card, the ADC/DAC gets busy. I use the SBLIVE! And, Lame is important
    to resample for input to the server.

    I also have had no luck getting listed at shoutcast or icecast
    directories. But, I don't understand that yet.

    Best of luck,

    Mike

  7. Re: Icecast

    Sir:

    WarpedOne wrote:

    > I also have had no luck getting listed at shoutcast or icecast
    > directories. But, I don't understand that yet.
    >
    > Best of luck,

    Is not one of the requirements to be listed is to own an authorization
    tag from one of the royalty collecting agencies? Believe that also
    applies to streaming an over-the-air radio station.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

+ Reply to Thread