I'm needing help with OS/2 - OS2

This is a discussion on I'm needing help with OS/2 - OS2 ; I'm needing some help with OS/2 applications now that I have version 4.52 working. I used Warp 3 for a about a year and left it for Windows 98. Now I've purchased some OS/2 applications like RSJ v5.52 and OpenOffice ...

  1. I'm needing help with OS/2

    I'm needing some help with OS/2 applications now that I have version
    4.52 working. I used Warp 3 for a about a year and left it for Windows
    98. Now I've purchased some OS/2 applications like RSJ v5.52 and
    OpenOffice 114 from Innotek. I need some tips and pointers.

    RSJ - how do I use CDRW with RSJ? I have been able to burn regular CDs
    using the command line functions like CDCOPY c:\music\*.* z:\music\ /s
    and finalize them with the -x command. I use Nero under Windows and it
    allows me to erase a CDRW and burn new files to it but I can't get the
    same functions to work with RSJ. Has anyone done this successfully?
    Can you tell me in easy steps how it is done?

    OpenOffice - I like this program and use it under Windows. There are
    some differences with the OS/2 version. When I click on any drop down
    menu and try to get to the function I want, the drop down window closes
    so fast I can never get to the function. Is that a bug or does it
    happen to other users too?

    I downloaded Firefox and Thunderbird for OS/2 but I can't run one while
    the other is running. Is there a way to do this easily?

    I have movie files I watch in Windows and downloaded the Kiev Elephant
    movie software package. It balks at Realplayer files but I read they
    can be viewed if Odin, a Windows emulator package, can be installed and
    the codecs for Windows along with it. If you have this working can you
    explain to me how it is done and where I can get the files? I was
    advised to use the Warpin version of Odin but which one and where do I
    find it? I can get MPG, MPEG, WVM and some ASF files to play but I
    have many RM files and would like to view them under OS/2. Is there a
    website or web page with setup instructions?

    What applications are available for playing MP3s?

    The best thing about OS/2 is the internet access. With Windows I've
    had to buy anti-virus/trojen software, a firewall package, spyware
    removers and it seems a new Microsoft security file every week. When I
    use OS/2 there are no problems and for that reason I'll use it for my
    time on the internet.

    Thank you for any help you can offer. It's good to be using OS/2
    again.

    --Jim

  2. Re: I'm needing help with OS/2

    Jimmy C wrote:

    >I downloaded Firefox and Thunderbird for OS/2 but I can't run one while
    >the other is running. Is there a way to do this easily?

    Make sure you have the most recent version of Firefox. There have been
    two releases of v1.0. The second one is compatible with Thunderbird, the
    first isn't.

    >--Jim

  3. Re: I'm needing help with OS/2

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 22:01:12 UTC, "Jimmy C"
    wrote:

    > RSJ - how do I use CDRW with RSJ? I have been able to burn regular CDs
    > using the command line functions like CDCOPY c:\music\*.* z:\music\ /s
    > and finalize them with the -x command. I use Nero under Windows and it
    > allows me to erase a CDRW and burn new files to it but I can't get the
    > same functions to work with RSJ. Has anyone done this successfully?

    cdwfmt z: /erase

  4. Re: I'm needing help with OS/2

    Here in comp.os.os2.setup.misc,
    "Jimmy C" spake unto us, saying:

    >What applications are available for playing MP3s?

    I rather like Z! myself:

    http://www.dink.org/z/

    but it's textmode (though it does support the mouse).

    PM123 is another good player and graphical:

    http://sektori.com/pm123

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  5. Re: I'm needing help with OS/2

    Hi Jimmy

    Jimmy C wrote:
    > I'm needing some help with OS/2 applications now that I have version
    > 4.52 working. I used Warp 3 for a about a year and left it for Windows
    > 98. Now I've purchased some OS/2 applications like RSJ v5.52 and
    > OpenOffice 114 from Innotek. I need some tips and pointers.

    Welcome back to the Wonderful World of OS/2 (and eCS) :-)

    > RSJ - how do I use CDRW with RSJ? I have been able to burn regular CDs
    > using the command line functions like CDCOPY c:\music\*.* z:\music\ /s
    > and finalize them with the -x command. I use Nero under Windows and it
    > allows me to erase a CDRW and burn new files to it but I can't get the
    > same functions to work with RSJ. Has anyone done this successfully?
    > Can you tell me in easy steps how it is done?

    Presuming the burner is seen as drive Z: by RSJ (and the drive is
    attached):-

    cdwfmt z: /erase

    An alternative to using RSJ with cdrw discs is to format the cdrws using
    the UDF filesystem - I prefer UDF because it recovers the disc space
    when files are deleted unlike RSJ. If I remember correctly Nero uses UDF
    for formatting cdrw discs.

    There should be a UDF readme file somewhere on your system and you may
    find that there is a later version of UDF(214) available from SWC/PA.

    > OpenOffice - I like this program and use it under Windows. There are
    > some differences with the OS/2 version. When I click on any drop down
    > menu and try to get to the function I want, the drop down window closes
    > so fast I can never get to the function. Is that a bug or does it
    > happen to other users too?

    I find that with various win32 apps running through Odin or the Innotek
    runtime but have noticed that gentler movements of the mouse pointer do
    not frighten the menus/drop down windows away so much.

    > I downloaded Firefox and Thunderbird for OS/2 but I can't run one while
    > the other is running. Is there a way to do this easily?

    You should be able to find an app to help on http://hobbes.nmsu.edu
    search for run!

    > I have movie files I watch in Windows and downloaded the Kiev Elephant
    > movie software package. It balks at Realplayer files but I read they
    > can be viewed if Odin, a Windows emulator package, can be installed and
    > the codecs for Windows along with it. If you have this working can you
    > explain to me how it is done and where I can get the files? I was
    > advised to use the Warpin version of Odin but which one and where do I
    > find it? I can get MPG, MPEG, WVM and some ASF files to play but I
    > have many RM files and would like to view them under OS/2. Is there a
    > website or web page with setup instructions?

    Yes, I'd be interested in getting RP files working as well... Hopefully
    someone will be able to advise. I have tried playing the videotest.rm
    file from the RP8 package and it nearly works - or should I say it plays
    far too quickly and ends as it is starting.

    > What applications are available for playing MP3s?

    Don't use them myself but I bet a search here http://hobbes.nmsu.edu for
    mp3 will get a few results.

    > The best thing about OS/2 is the internet access. With Windows I've
    > had to buy anti-virus/trojen software, a firewall package, spyware
    > removers and it seems a new Microsoft security file every week. When I
    > use OS/2 there are no problems and for that reason I'll use it for my
    > time on the internet.

    I have a few friends who are starting to consider installing either OS/2
    or eCS as their "internet access system" for exactly the same reasons.

    > Thank you for any help you can offer. It's good to be using OS/2
    > again.

    You may have noticed that http://hobbes.nmsu.edu crops up a few times
    above - you may want to bookmark that site, it is rather useful :-)

    Have fun

    Pete

  6. Re: I'm needing help with OS/2

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 22:01:12 UTC, "Jimmy C"
    wrote:

    Jim,

    > What applications are available for playing MP3s?

    Z! is pretty good.

    > The best thing about OS/2 is the internet access. With Windows I've
    > had to buy anti-virus/trojen software, a firewall package, spyware
    > removers and it seems a new Microsoft security file every week. When I
    > use OS/2 there are no problems and for that reason I'll use it for my
    > time on the internet.

    When you get a bit further along, you should know that the TCPIP stack
    in OS2 has a built in firewall.
    You could check out ZAMPA but I prefer to set up the rules manually.

    FYI
    Brian

    --

  7. Re: I'm needing help with OS/2

    Richard Steiner wrote:
    >>What applications are available for playing MP3s?

    > I rather like Z! myself:

    How do I create an MP3 from some music CD's?

    Ted

  8. Re: I'm needing help with OS/2

    Sir:

    Ted Edwards wrote:
    > Richard Steiner wrote:
    >
    >>> What applications are available for playing MP3s?

    >> I rather like Z! myself:

    > How do I create an MP3 from some music CD's?

    You are in luck as there are several tools available for OS/2 to do just
    this. Get CDmagic or CD2MP3PM and follow the instruction included
    within those packages.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  9. Re: I'm needing help with OS/2

    Here in comp.os.os2.setup.misc,
    Ted Edwards spake unto us, saying:

    >Richard Steiner wrote:
    >
    >>>What applications are available for playing MP3s?

    >> I rather like Z! myself:

    >How do I create an MP3 from some music CD's?

    I use CD2MP3/PM myself. You can find a copy here:

    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/...2mp3pm114a.zip

    which acts as a graphical front-end to various text-based CD ripping
    and WAV-to-MP3 encoding utilities.

    Some of the rippers I've used with CD2MP3PM are (which read the data
    off the CD and create a raw WAV file) are:

    Leech 1.20 (the one I like the best in general):
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/...r/leech120.zip

    Alfons 0.99:
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/misc/alf099b.zip

    and JCDRead 0.1.7:
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/...ead2-0.1.7.zip

    The two encoders I've used and like are

    LAME 2.90 alpha 7:
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/...3_90a7-os2.zip

    BladeEnc 0.92.0
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/...deenc2_092.zip

    I know there are many newer versions of LAME, but the above is the last
    one I've tried, and I've been happy with it.

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  10. Re: I'm needing help with OS/2

    On 2005-02-22, Ted Edwards wrote:
    > Richard Steiner wrote:
    >>>What applications are available for playing MP3s?

    >> I rather like Z! myself:

    > How do I create an MP3 from some music CD's?

    first 'leech' the WAVs from the CD to the disk
    and then 'lame' them to MP3s

    both leech and lame shoud be available on HOBBES (command-line-utilities)

    or get audiocreator package if you prefer a GUI (also on HOBBES)

    HTH
    Franz

  11. Re: I'm needing help with OS/2

    On 2005-02-22, Ted Edwards wrote:
    > Richard Steiner wrote:
    >>>What applications are available for playing MP3s?

    >> I rather like Z! myself:

    > How do I create an MP3 from some music CD's?

    first 'leech' the WAVs from the CD to the disk
    and then 'lame' them to MP3s

    both leech and lame shoud be available on HOBBES (command-line-utilities)

    or get audiocreator package if you prefer a GUI (also on HOBBES)

    HTH
    Franz

  12. Re: I'm needing help with OS/2

    Peter Brown wrote:
    >> RSJ - how do I use CDRW with RSJ? I have been able to burn regular CDs
    >> using the command line functions like CDCOPY c:\music\*.* z:\music\ /s
    >> and finalize them with the -x command. I use Nero under Windows and it
    >> allows me to erase a CDRW and burn new files to it but I can't get the
    >> same functions to work with RSJ. Has anyone done this successfully?
    >> Can you tell me in easy steps how it is done?

    > Presuming the burner is seen as drive Z: by RSJ (and the drive is
    > attached):-

    > cdwfmt z: /erase

    That worked but the command

    Format z: /erase

    Suggested in the RSJ manual did not. Does the command

    Format z: /unseal

    also stated in the manual work or should that be

    cdwfmt z: /erase
    ?

    > An alternative to using RSJ with cdrw discs is to format the cdrws using
    > the UDF filesystem - I prefer UDF because it recovers the disc space
    > when files are deleted unlike RSJ. If I remember correctly Nero uses UDF
    > for formatting cdrw discs.

    I tried both with the results:
    Erasing with RSJ then attaching showed 667928K available
    Erasing with FORMAT S: /FS:UDF /F, DIR shows 537M free

    > There should be a UDF readme file somewhere on your system and you may
    > find that there is a later version of UDF(214) available from SWC/PA.

    Once formatted with UDF, RSJ won't touch it. What do you use tor
    write/read it?

    Ted

  13. Re: I'm needing help with OS/2

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 04:28:23 UTC, Ted Edwards
    wrote:

    > > Presuming the burner is seen as drive Z: by RSJ (and the drive is
    > > attached):-

    > > cdwfmt z: /erase

    > That worked but the command
    >
    > Format z: /erase
    >
    > Suggested in the RSJ manual did not. Does the command

    That's correct. It ceased working with a quite long-back OS/2 release.
    It is documented somewhere but not sure where.

    > Format z: /unseal
    >
    > also stated in the manual work or should that be
    >
    > cdwfmt z: /erase

    No: cdwfmt z: /unseal

    !!!

  14. Re: I'm needing help with OS/2

    Hi Ted

    Ted Edwards wrote:
    > Peter Brown wrote:
    >
    >>> RSJ - how do I use CDRW with RSJ? I have been able to burn regular CDs
    >>> using the command line functions like CDCOPY c:\music\*.* z:\music\ /s
    >>> and finalize them with the -x command. I use Nero under Windows and it
    >>> allows me to erase a CDRW and burn new files to it but I can't get the
    >>> same functions to work with RSJ. Has anyone done this successfully?
    >>> Can you tell me in easy steps how it is done?

    >> Presuming the burner is seen as drive Z: by RSJ (and the drive is
    >> attached):-

    >> cdwfmt z: /erase

    > That worked but the command
    >
    > Format z: /erase
    >
    > Suggested in the RSJ manual did not. Does the command
    >
    > Format z: /unseal
    >
    > also stated in the manual work or should that be
    >
    > cdwfmt z: /erase
    > ?

    Have a look in the RSJ pdf file, section called OS/2 Commands. It does
    state (in the version I have):-
    "If you have WSEB or FP13 or higher you can only use the command
    cdwfmt z: /erase or /unseal to format or unseal a CDRW".

    >> An alternative to using RSJ with cdrw discs is to format the cdrws
    >> using the UDF filesystem - I prefer UDF because it recovers the disc
    >> space when files are deleted unlike RSJ. If I remember correctly Nero
    >> uses UDF for formatting cdrw discs.

    > I tried both with the results:
    > Erasing with RSJ then attaching showed 667928K available
    > Erasing with FORMAT S: /FS:UDF /F, DIR shows 537M free
    >
    >> There should be a UDF readme file somewhere on your system and you may
    >> find that there is a later version of UDF(214) available from SWC/PA.

    > Once formatted with UDF, RSJ won't touch it. What do you use tor
    > write/read it?

    How about normal file copying procedures - drag'n'drop, command line
    copy/xcopy ...

    A UDF formatted CDRW is simply a large floppy (no partitions allowed)
    removeable disc(k) to the system.

    Regards

    Pete

+ Reply to Thread