AMD K6-2 & EMX - OS2

This is a discussion on AMD K6-2 & EMX - OS2 ; Are there any known problems with running EMX/GCC on a system using an AMD K6-2 processor? I'm just trying to set up a test environment on a machine using such a processor and keep getting SYS3176 errors from CC1.EXE as ...

  1. AMD K6-2 & EMX

    Are there any known problems with running EMX/GCC on a system using an
    AMD K6-2 processor?

    I'm just trying to set up a test environment on a machine using such a
    processor and keep getting SYS3176 errors from CC1.EXE as well as plenty
    of SYS3175's.

  2. Re: AMD K6-2 & EMX

    On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:34:14 +0000, jp wrote:

    >Are there any known problems with running EMX/GCC on a system using an
    >AMD K6-2 processor?
    >
    >I'm just trying to set up a test environment on a machine using such a
    >processor and keep getting SYS3176 errors from CC1.EXE as well as plenty
    >of SYS3175's.

    Which EMX 2.x or 3.x? No probs here on 2.x. K6-2 400. Use fork at lot
    as well :-)

    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    NB Remove no-spam- for good email address

  3. Re: AMD K6-2 & EMX

    Dave Saville wrote:

    >On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:34:14 +0000, jp wrote:
    >

    >>Are there any known problems with running EMX/GCC on a system using an
    >>AMD K6-2 processor?
    >>
    >>I'm just trying to set up a test environment on a machine using such a
    >>processor and keep getting SYS3176 errors from CC1.EXE as well as plenty
    >>of SYS3175's.
    >>

    >Which EMX 2.x or 3.x? No probs here on 2.x. K6-2 400. Use fork at lot
    >as well :-)

    I've been trying to build Perl on an AMD K6-2 based system using gcc
    2.8.1 and get loads of errors as mentioned above. I also tried the
    testfork program which was built with gcc 3.3.5 and that doesn't work
    properly.

    If it works for you, then obviously there is nothing intrinsically wrong
    with using EMX with this processor - just can't think what else could
    be causing these errors.
    I don't see how it could be bad memory, disk or anything else which
    would cause the problems I'm encountering.

    >--
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Dave Saville
    >
    >NB Remove no-spam- for good email address

  4. Re: AMD K6-2 & EMX

    jp wrote:

    > I don't see how it could be bad memory, disk or anything else which
    > would cause the problems I'm encountering.

    In the past I have used the k6-2 without any problems.
    I was going to suggest memory problems instead. How much memory do you
    have? And how is it configured?: Is it a single card? If multiple, are
    they all from the same manufacturer and are matched for speed?
    If you have multiple memory cards, it may be the compilation starts
    using memory in the second or third units where the less-than-perfect
    operation occurs.
    The memory setup on older mobos is not nearly so good as current
    technology.

    --
    jmm dash list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  5. Re: AMD K6-2 & EMX

    Sir:

    jp wrote:
    > Dave Saville wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:34:14 +0000, jp wrote:
    >>

    >>> Are there any known problems with running EMX/GCC on a system using
    >>> an AMD K6-2 processor?
    >>>
    >>> I'm just trying to set up a test environment on a machine using such
    >>> a processor and keep getting SYS3176 errors from CC1.EXE as well as
    >>> plenty of SYS3175's.
    >>>

    >> Which EMX 2.x or 3.x? No probs here on 2.x. K6-2 400. Use fork at lot
    >> as well :-)
    >>

    > I've been trying to build Perl on an AMD K6-2 based system using gcc
    > 2.8.1 and get loads of errors as mentioned above. I also tried the
    > testfork program which was built with gcc 3.3.5 and that doesn't work
    > properly.
    >
    > If it works for you, then obviously there is nothing intrinsically wrong
    > with using EMX with this processor - just can't think what else could
    > be causing these errors.
    > I don't see how it could be bad memory, disk or anything else which
    > would cause the problems I'm encountering.

    WAG: When I had a K6-2 300 machine, the power supply was too weak to
    carry the load and gave me the errors that you see. These problems went
    away with a 350 w ATX power supply. I later had a main board die that
    caused all sorts of errors just before it did.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  6. Re: AMD K6-2 & EMX

    jp wrote:
    > I've been trying to build Perl on an AMD K6-2 based system using gcc
    > 2.8.1 and get loads of errors as mentioned above. I also tried the
    > testfork program which was built with gcc 3.3.5 and that doesn't work
    > properly.
    >
    > If it works for you, then obviously there is nothing intrinsically wrong
    > with using EMX with this processor - just can't think what else could
    > be causing these errors.
    > I don't see how it could be bad memory, disk or anything else which
    > would cause the problems I'm encountering.

    I used emx on that CPU too and it worked.

    Are you getting this error sistematically or in a random-like fashion?
    Perhaps some time deep into compilation?
    If the latter applies, try and check the CPU temperature. A K6 generates
    so much heat!
    I had to find a better cooler in order to zip more than a few MB before
    the system would freeze...

    bye
    av.

  7. Re: AMD K6-2 & EMX

    Andrea Venturoli wrote:

    >jp wrote:
    >

    >>I've been trying to build Perl on an AMD K6-2 based system using gcc
    >>2.8.1 and get loads of errors as mentioned above. I also tried the
    >>testfork program which was built with gcc 3.3.5 and that doesn't work
    >>properly.
    >>
    >>If it works for you, then obviously there is nothing intrinsically wrong
    >>with using EMX with this processor - just can't think what else could
    >>be causing these errors.
    >>I don't see how it could be bad memory, disk or anything else which
    >>would cause the problems I'm encountering.
    >>

    >I used emx on that CPU too and it worked.

    I guess it depends on what you are using it for...

    >Are you getting this error sistematically or in a random-like fashion?
    >Perhaps some time deep into compilation?

    It's a bit of both really. Some errors are predictable others appear random.

    >If the latter applies, try and check the CPU temperature. A K6 generates
    >so much heat!
    >I had to find a better cooler in order to zip more than a few MB before
    >the system would freeze...

    I just swapped the Evergreen Spectra processor upgrade to a P200 MMX
    CPU and didn't get any of the previous errors - unfortunately the system
    froze after about four hours during which time it would have been maxed
    out most of the time. With the other processor it managed to keep going
    without hanging, so it's not easy choosing the best option.

    > bye
    > av.

  8. Re: AMD K6-2 & EMX

    jp wrote:
    > Andrea Venturoli wrote:
    >
    >> jp wrote:
    >>

    >>> I've been trying to build Perl on an AMD K6-2 based system using gcc
    >>> 2.8.1 and get loads of errors as mentioned above. I also tried the
    >>> testfork program which was built with gcc 3.3.5 and that doesn't work
    >>> properly.
    >>>
    >>> If it works for you, then obviously there is nothing intrinsically wrong
    >>> with using EMX with this processor - just can't think what else could
    >>> be causing these errors.
    >>> I don't see how it could be bad memory, disk or anything else which
    >>> would cause the problems I'm encountering.
    >>>

    >> I used emx on that CPU too and it worked.
    >>

    > I guess it depends on what you are using it for...

    Hi,

    at the time I had K6-2/400 in the primary machine, I set up GCC
    2.9something (last OS/2 2.x port) and did compiles of smaller programs
    that used libmysql to talk to MySQL. I had no problems with it. I even
    copied this gcc installation to a 486 machine, it was working, and it
    worked after I upgraded the said K6-2 machine to the Athlon Thunderbird.

    Cheers,
    Martin

    >> Are you getting this error sistematically or in a random-like fashion?
    >> Perhaps some time deep into compilation?
    >>

    > It's a bit of both really. Some errors are predictable others appear
    > random.
    >
    >> If the latter applies, try and check the CPU temperature. A K6 generates
    >> so much heat!
    >> I had to find a better cooler in order to zip more than a few MB before
    >> the system would freeze...
    >>

    > I just swapped the Evergreen Spectra processor upgrade to a P200 MMX
    > CPU and didn't get any of the previous errors - unfortunately the system
    > froze after about four hours during which time it would have been maxed
    > out most of the time. With the other processor it managed to keep going
    > without hanging, so it's not easy choosing the best option.
    >
    >> bye
    >> av.

  9. Re: AMD K6-2 & EMX

    Felix Miata wrote:

    > jp wrote:
    >

    >>I just swapped the Evergreen Spectra processor upgrade to a P200 MMX
    >>CPU and didn't get any of the previous errors - unfortunately the system
    >>froze after about four hours during which time it would have been maxed
    >>out most of the time. With the other processor it managed to keep going
    >>without hanging, so it's not easy choosing the best option.

    > A K6-III might be better. If your board supports the required voltage,
    > you might want to try one. You probably need a "beta" BIOS to use a
    > K6-III+, which is for all practical purpuses an Athlon for Socket 7.

    Is it? I always read about K6-III that it was K6-2 with level 2 cache
    too on chip.

    Cheers,
    Martin

  10. Re: AMD K6-2 & EMX

    Felix Miata wrote:

    > MMI wrote:
    >

    >>Felix Miata wrote:

    >>>A K6-III might be better. If your board supports the required voltage,
    >>>you might want to try one. You probably need a "beta" BIOS to use a
    >>>K6-III+, which is for all practical purpuses an Athlon for Socket 7.

    >>Is it? I always read about K6-III that it was K6-2 with level 2 cache
    >>too on chip.

    > It is. I wrote K6-III+.

    Oh, yet another of the mysterious AMD processors I only read about (and
    they were nowhere to purchase). The same was the Am5x86, which was sold
    only in 133MHz (4x33) version here, and nobody ever imported the more
    interesting 160MHz (4x40) version.

    Cheers,
    Martin

  11. Re: AMD K6-2 & EMX

    I have two of these myself: http://i1.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/17/66/04_1.JPG
    --
    "The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing,
    but to us who are being saved, it is the power of God."

    Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

    Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/

  12. Re: AMD K6-2 & EMX

    Felix Miata wrote:
    > MMI wrote:
    >

    >>Felix Miata wrote:

    >>>It is. I wrote K6-III+.

    >>Oh, yet another of the mysterious AMD processors I only read about (and
    >>they were nowhere to purchase). The same was the Am5x86, which was sold
    >>only in 133MHz (4x33) version here, and nobody ever imported the more
    >>interesting 160MHz (4x40) version.

    > I have two of these myself: http://i1.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/17/66/04_1.JPG

    And does it deliver an Athlon boost when compared to the K6-III based on
    the K6-2 architecture?

    Cheers,
    Martin

+ Reply to Thread