OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project - OS2

This is a discussion on OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project - OS2 ; I thinking of putting together my own OS/2 based entertainment centre and could do with some advice on components. Basically I want a small, quite box which is networkable, sound cable and can be used as a TV receiver (with ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    I thinking of putting together my own OS/2 based entertainment centre
    and could do with some advice on components. Basically I want a small,
    quite box which is networkable, sound cable and can be used as a TV
    receiver (with radio if possible) and should be able to play CD/DVD and
    myabe even write them. Remote control would be nice too.

    The things I've decided on so far include motherboard and case:-

    http://www.itx-warehouse.co.uk/Produ...x?ProductID=31

    http://www.itx-warehouse.co.uk/Produ...x?ProductID=86

    What other components should I get?

  2. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    Bonjour,

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:16:58 UTC, jp wrote:
    > What other components should I get?

    - A compatible video card to get higher resolution, full colors and
    TV output (www.scitechsoft.com).
    - A compatible TV-card to get TV (Hauppauge Win-TV).
    - A compatible sound card to get sound.

    Unfortunately I don't think that all the add-on cards will fit on the
    motherboard (just *1* PCI slot !).

    Thanks to Google, you'll find interesting web sites that will provide you
    with some hardware compatibility lists for OS/2 (or eComStation).

    Moreover, you will need :

    - Lastest drivers available with Passport Advantage from IBM to get
    things like USB, printers, ... working.
    - SNAP Graphics for OS/2 to get some extra features with your compatible
    video card.
    - A multimedia player (WarpVision, Z!, PM123, Emperoar TV...) to get
    video, music, sound, ...
    - FotoGet/2 to get the files from your USB card reader and/or MSD USB
    camera.
    - WorldClock to display the time in many time zones.
    - CDRecord/2 to burn files on CD-ROM sometimes.
    - RAR and LDBackup to make backups sometimes.
    - A http server (Web/2, SREHTTP, Apache/2, ...) to hold the web server.
    - REXX and PHP for dynamic WWW pages (Multimedia server/center? CD-ROM
    sharing/buring server? VCR? Photo printing/displaying/slideshow
    center? ...).
    - FireFox as an interface to your entertainment center.
    - Programming skills to fill the (enormous) gaps.
    - ...

    If you manage to make something usable out of this, I am sure many of us
    (me included) would be interested in a report on this.
    You could even publish it on http://www. OS2ezine.com or
    http://www.os2voice.org/.

    Thanks in advance.
    Bye.
    --
    Guillaume Gay [ Ich bin ein Merliner ]
    =(mail)=> g u i l l a u m e . g a y @ b i g f o o t . c o m

  3. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:16:58 +0000, jp
    wrote:

    >I thinking of putting together my own OS/2 based entertainment centre

    >What other components should I get?

    Google 'dvarchive'. Java, serves video to networked ReplayTV players.
    Great hack.

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    "All I know is that I'm being sued for unfair business practices by Microsoft. Hello pot? It's kettle on line two" -

  4. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:16:58 UTC, jp wrote:

    > http://www.itx-warehouse.co.uk/Produ...x?ProductID=31
    >
    > http://www.itx-warehouse.co.uk/Produ...x?ProductID=86

    Be aware, that the graphics chips on the EPIAs are not fully
    supported by SNAP. Just recently, there was a not very
    promising thread about this in the Scitech newsgroup...

    --
    Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany]
    http://www.s-t.de

  5. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    Ruediger Ihle wrote:

    >On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:16:58 UTC, jp wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.itx-warehouse.co.uk/Produ...x?ProductID=31
    >>
    >>http://www.itx-warehouse.co.uk/Produ...x?ProductID=86
    >>

    >Be aware, that the graphics chips on the EPIAs are not fully
    >supported by SNAP. Just recently, there was a not very
    >promising thread about this in the Scitech newsgroup...

    Does this suggest it would not be suitable for running a TV app such
    Emperoar?

    Which chipset are you referring to BTW?

  6. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:07:31 UTC, jp wrote:

    > Does this suggest it would not be suitable for running a TV app such
    > Emperoar?

    I cannot really tell until I see the DIVE test output from Sysbech. I also
    heard, that these Eden CPUs are pretty slow. This means in W******s
    they rely heavily on the MPEG features of the chipset, which most likely
    are not availabale under OS/2.

    > Which chipset are you referring to BTW?

    VIA PLE133 and CLE266. They come with an integrated graphics adapter,
    which (AFAIK) SNAP can currenly drive only in VBE mode (i.e. unaccelerated).
    This applies to regular PM operation. For video acceleration it remains to be
    found out, if WarpOverlay supports it and how fast DIVE will run.

    BTW, once I read somewhere, that a person had installed OS/2 on a M9000.
    When I remember it correctly, he got network and sound working.

    --
    Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany]
    http://www.s-t.de
    Please remove all characters left of the "R" in my email address

  7. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    Ruediger Ihle wrote:

    >On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:07:31 UTC, jp wrote:
    >

    >>Does this suggest it would not be suitable for running a TV app such
    >>Emperoar?
    >>

    >I cannot really tell until I see the DIVE test output from Sysbech. I also
    >heard, that these Eden CPUs are pretty slow. This means in W******s
    >they rely heavily on the MPEG features of the chipset, which most likely
    >are not availabale under OS/2.
    >

    >>Which chipset are you referring to BTW?
    >>

    >VIA PLE133 and CLE266. They come with an integrated graphics adapter,
    >which (AFAIK) SNAP can currenly drive only in VBE mode (i.e. unaccelerated).
    >This applies to regular PM operation. For video acceleration it remains to be
    >found out, if WarpOverlay supports it and how fast DIVE will run.
    >
    >BTW, once I read somewhere, that a person had installed OS/2 on a M9000.
    >When I remember it correctly, he got network and sound working.

    I have the VIA EPIA EDEN board which I think uses the PLE133. OS/2 runs
    OK and I have had networking running OK using the onboard ethernet port.

    How fast does DIVE need to run and how do I check it.

    I read somewhere that there is an accelerated driver for XFree86 so
    maybe XFree86OS/2 will also have video acceleration....

    Wonder what it would take to get Scitech to re-assess their non-support
    for VIA graphic chipsets...

  8. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:42:17 UTC, jp wrote:

    > I have the VIA EPIA EDEN board which I think uses the PLE133. OS/2 runs
    > OK and I have had networking running OK using the onboard ethernet port.
    >
    > How fast does DIVE need to run and how do I check it.

    Get a copy of SYSBENCH and run the DIVE tests. Of special interrest for
    video playback is the "Video bus bandwidth". It should be at least 150.000.
    Good systems (especially those with AGP-fastwrite) can reach much more...

    BTW, when reading the list chips supported by WarpOverlay! (latest fix) I
    see the PLE133 mentioned. So this worth a try al well.

    --
    Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany]
    http://www.s-t.de
    Please remove all characters left of the "R" in my email address

  9. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    Ruediger Ihle wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:42:17 UTC, jp wrote:
    >

    >>I have the VIA EPIA EDEN board which I think uses the PLE133. OS/2 runs
    >>OK and I have had networking running OK using the onboard ethernet port.
    >>
    >>How fast does DIVE need to run and how do I check it.

    > Get a copy of SYSBENCH and run the DIVE tests. Of special interrest for
    > video playback is the "Video bus bandwidth". It should be at least 150.000.
    > Good systems (especially those with AGP-fastwrite) can reach much more...

    Here's what I got:-

    Direct Interface to video extensions - DIVE
    Video bus bandwidth : 20.867 Megabytes/second
    DIVE fun : 70.495 fps normalised to 640x480x256
    M->S, DD, 1.00:1 : 71.111 fps normalised to 640x480x256
    Total : 26.544 DIVE-marks

    Looks like the system I have is a non-starter, unless I have something
    hopelessly misconfigured...

    > BTW, when reading the list chips supported by WarpOverlay! (latest fix) I
    > see the PLE133 mentioned. So this worth a try al well.

    I'm not really sure what WarpOverlay is...

    Where do I get it? It sounds like something to do with WVGUI.

  10. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:25:01 UTC, jp
    wrote:

    -> Ruediger Ihle wrote:
    -> > On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:42:17 UTC, jp wrote:
    -> >
    -> >
    -> >>I have the VIA EPIA EDEN board which I think uses the PLE133. OS/2 runs
    -> >>OK and I have had networking running OK using the onboard ethernet port.
    -> >>
    -> >>How fast does DIVE need to run and how do I check it.
    -> >
    -> >
    -> > Get a copy of SYSBENCH and run the DIVE tests. Of special interrest for
    -> > video playback is the "Video bus bandwidth". It should be at least 150.000.
    -> > Good systems (especially those with AGP-fastwrite) can reach much more...
    ->
    -> Here's what I got:-
    ->
    ->
    -> Direct Interface to video extensions - DIVE
    -> Video bus bandwidth : 20.867 Megabytes/second
    -> DIVE fun : 70.495 fps normalised to 640x480x256
    -> M->S, DD, 1.00:1 : 71.111 fps normalised to 640x480x256
    -> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    -> Total : 26.544 DIVE-marks
    ->
    ->
    -> Looks like the system I have is a non-starter, unless I have something
    -> hopelessly misconfigured...
    ->
    ->
    -> >
    -> > BTW, when reading the list chips supported by WarpOverlay! (latest fix) I
    -> > see the PLE133 mentioned. So this worth a try al well.
    ->
    ->
    -> I'm not really sure what WarpOverlay is...
    ->
    -> Where do I get it? It sounds like something to do with WVGUI.

    http://os2.kiev.ua/en/overlay.php It is used by WVGUI (but not
    required) and if present will decrease the CPU load. Only works on
    supported display chipsets and requires the Scitech SNAP video driver.
    It is shareware and requires registration. There is a WarpOverlay
    API available for other developers to use, but I'm only aware of
    WarpVision and EmperoarTV that use it.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Where?/When? Stay tuned to - http://www.warpstock.org

  11. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    Ruediger Ihle wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:42:17 UTC, jp wrote:
    >
    > Get a copy of SYSBENCH and run the DIVE tests. Of special interrest for
    > video playback is the "Video bus bandwidth". It should be at least 150.000.
    > Good systems (especially those with AGP-fastwrite) can reach much more...

    Ooohh, oohh. With Sysbench 0.95 and SNAPse 2.19 I'm only getting 60.000
    with my K6-2+/500 and a Matrox G450 AGP, which should operate in 2 mode.

    What is here the limiting factor then? Lack of CPU power?

    Wolfi

  12. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    jp wrote:
    > Ruediger Ihle wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:42:17 UTC, jp wrote:
    >>

    >>> I have the VIA EPIA EDEN board which I think uses the PLE133. OS/2
    >>> runs OK and I have had networking running OK using the onboard
    >>> ethernet port.
    >>>

    > Here's what I got:-
    >

    > Direct Interface to video extensions - DIVE
    > Video bus bandwidth : 20.867 Megabytes/second
    > DIVE fun : 70.495 fps normalised to 640x480x256
    > M->S, DD, 1.00:1 : 71.111 fps normalised to 640x480x256
    > Total : 26.544 DIVE-marks
    >

    > Looks like the system I have is a non-starter, unless I have something
    > hopelessly misconfigured...

    Mmmh, that's what I get with Sysbench 0.95 on my K5-2+/500 with and VIA
    MVP3 chip set, a Matrox G450-AGP, which should run in 2 mode and SNAPse 2.19:

    Direct Interface to video extensions - DIVE
    Video bus bandwidth : 61.824 Megabytes/second
    DIVE fun : 223.712 fps normalised to 640x480x256
    M->S, DD, 1.00:1 : 200.640 fps normalised to 640x480x256
    Total : 77.344 DIVE-marks

    In comparison, I think I'm not *that* bad, though ;-)
    But it's just not yet good enough for watching DVDs with WarpVision. Video
    is not really smooth and still a bit jerky and sound is out of sync by a
    couple of s. So I'm afraid, that would be even worse on your box.

    Wolfi

  13. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 08:16:30 UTC, Wolfi wrote:

    > Ooohh, oohh. With Sysbench 0.95 and SNAPse 2.19 I'm only getting 60.000
    > with my K6-2+/500 and a Matrox G450 AGP, which should operate in 2 mode.
    >
    > What is here the limiting factor then? Lack of CPU power?

    Several years ago I did tons of tests about this. I don't have the numbers handy,
    so I cannot tell what I got from this type of hardware. In most cases, poor values
    have to do with the mainboard chipset and/or it's initialisation by the BIOS. I have
    found, that some older VIA chip sets perform exeptionally bad, while Intel is
    usually O.K. On my two year old VIA KT400 mainboard, I needed three BIOS
    updates, to get the expected video performance, while an NForce1 system
    of about the same age worked perfectly out of the box. Also, I once tested two
    very similar mainboard (K6-2, ALI chipsets). One of them performing reasonable,
    the other beeing dog slow. No idea, why...

    What I can assure you is, that the Matrox in not the limiting factor. One of our tests
    was to put the same G450 (32MB, Dualhead) in two different motherboards. While
    it performed well (when I remember it correctly it was about 270.000) in a GigaByte
    BX2000 (PIII 667 CPU), it crawled in some VIA based board (don't remember the
    model).

    --
    Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany]
    http://www.s-t.de
    Please remove all characters left of the "R" in my email address

  14. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    Ruediger Ihle wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:25:01 UTC, jp wrote:
    >

    >> Video bus bandwidth : 20.867 Megabytes/second

    > This is the worst value I've ever seen ! Even ancient PCI graphics
    > adapters do better. Which video driver did you use ? If it was not
    > SNAP,

    I've just reinstalled SCITECH SNAP GRAPHICS/se to make sure I had the
    latest graphics drivers and got the same result.

    Scitech actually support the video chipset in use which according to
    SYSINFO is Trident Blade 3D (VIA VT8601). Sysbench identifies it as a
    Trident Microsystems - CyberBlade/i1. I have no idea whether this is an
    alternative name for the same chip...

    > get P6K7MTRR_V008.ZIP from Hobbes.

    Do I need this if using the SNAP driver?

    > Otherwise take a
    > look at GRAPHICS.LOG. Especially at statements like this:
    >
    > "Attempting to enable write combining, , base = xxxxx, length = xxxxx"

    Where is this GRAPHICS.LOG?

    > BTW, here is the result from my 4 years old notebook (PIII 900, Intel BX
    > chipset, ATI RageLT):
    >
    > Direct Interface to video extensions - DIVE
    > Video bus bandwidth : 213.877 Megabytes/second
    > DIVE fun : 723.156 fps normalised to 640x480x256
    > M->S, DD, 1.00:1 : 725.873 fps normalised to 640x480x256
    > Total : 271.415 DIVE-marks
    >
    > More recent systems using AGP-fastwrite can perform more than twice
    > of that...

    Don't rub it in that my system is so bad :-)...

    I wonder if there is a Windows equivalent of SYSBENCH... I have Win98
    installed on this system so maybe I can tell whether the bad performance
    is simply down to lack of OS/2 support or misconfiguration.

  15. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:29:19 UTC, jp wrote:

    > Scitech actually support the video chipset in use which according to
    > SYSINFO is Trident Blade 3D (VIA VT8601). Sysbench identifies it as a
    > Trident Microsystems - CyberBlade/i1. I have no idea whether this is an
    > alternative name for the same chip...

    This is well possible. Maybe, it's only the newer CLE266, that is not fully
    supported...

    > > get P6K7MTRR_V008.ZIP from Hobbes.

    > Do I need this if using the SNAP driver?

    Normally, it's not neccessary when running SNAP or SDD. But you can
    always try...

    > Where is this GRAPHICS.LOG?

    For SDD it's in:

    \OS2\DRIVERS\NUCLEUS\CONFIG

    I don't have SNAP here at the moment, but I seem to remember, that
    the location is slightly different there. But certainly somewhere in the
    \OS2\DRIVERS\.... subtree.

    > I wonder if there is a Windows equivalent of SYSBENCH...

    Certainly there is something, but I don't know it.

    >I have Win98 installed on this system so maybe I can tell whether the
    >bad performance is simply down to lack of OS/2 support or
    >misconfiguration.

    I heard rumours, that in the past VIA provided some "chipset drivers" for
    Windows, which reconfigure their hardware. This is very bad, because
    it's nowhere documented, what these drivers really do.

    --
    Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany]
    http://www.s-t.de
    Please remove all characters left of the "R" in my email address

  16. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    jp wrote:
    > Ruediger Ihle wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:25:01 UTC, jp wrote:
    >>

    >>> Video bus bandwidth : 20.867 Megabytes/second

    >> This is the worst value I've ever seen ! Even ancient PCI graphics
    >> adapters do better. Which video driver did you use ? If it was not
    >> SNAP,

    > I've just reinstalled SCITECH SNAP GRAPHICS/se to make sure I had the
    > latest graphics drivers and got the same result.
    >
    > Scitech actually support the video chipset in use which according to
    > SYSINFO is Trident Blade 3D (VIA VT8601). Sysbench identifies it as a
    > Trident Microsystems - CyberBlade/i1. I have no idea whether this is an
    > alternative name for the same chip...
    >

    >> get P6K7MTRR_V008.ZIP from Hobbes.

    > Do I need this if using the SNAP driver?

    You could always give it a try but it should not be needed to get better
    DIVE results than you are seeing.

    >> Otherwise take a look at GRAPHICS.LOG. Especially at statements like
    >> this:
    >>
    >> "Attempting to enable write combining, , base = xxxxx, length = xxxxx"

    > Where is this GRAPHICS.LOG?

    It's a text file in x:\os2\drivers\SNAP\config that will show you a lot
    of useful information about your video subsystem and driver.

    >> BTW, here is the result from my 4 years old notebook (PIII 900, Intel BX
    >> chipset, ATI RageLT):
    >>
    >> Direct Interface to video extensions - DIVE
    >> Video bus bandwidth : 213.877 Megabytes/second
    >> DIVE fun : 723.156 fps normalised to 640x480x256
    >> M->S, DD, 1.00:1 : 725.873 fps normalised to 640x480x256
    >> Total : 271.415 DIVE-marks

    Recent OS/2 results posted on COOM for a desktop system with an AGP 8x
    card and an ATI 9800 Pro running SNAP were:

    Direct Interface to video extensions - DIVE
    Video bus bandwidth : 1008.186 Megabytes/second
    DIVE fun : 3441.816 fps normalised to 640x480x256
    M->S, DD, 1.00:1 : 3441.612 fps normalised to 640x480x256
    Total : 1286.353 DIVE-marks

    >> More recent systems using AGP-fastwrite can perform more than twice
    >> of that...

    > Don't rub it in that my system is so bad :-)...

    Your results are slow enough that I would download the latest SNAP
    driver (rather than the SNAP/se driver) and if your results don't
    improve, I would open a help ticket with Scitech to see if there might
    be a hardware/driver interaction issue that they could address.

    > I wonder if there is a Windows equivalent of SYSBENCH... I have Win98
    > installed on this system so maybe I can tell whether the bad performance
    > is simply down to lack of OS/2 support or misconfiguration.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and IBM Web Browser v2.0.4

  17. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    David T. Johnson wrote:

    > jp wrote:
    > Your results are slow enough that I would download the latest SNAP
    > driver (rather than the SNAP/se driver) and if your results don't
    > improve, I would open a help ticket with Scitech to see if there might
    > be a hardware/driver interaction issue that they could address.

    Given that SYSBENCH does not recognise the graphics chipset correctly,
    the results may well be misleading.

    Is there an alternative way of measuring dive performance?

  18. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:57:31 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, jp
    wrote:

    > Given that SYSBENCH does not recognise the graphics chipset correctly,
    > the results may well be misleading.

    The recognition code is completely independent of the testing code. The
    test just blats data and counts how much it can shift in a specific time
    interval. The recognition code looks at the PCI vendor id and device id
    and looks that up in the pcidevs.txt file - if you want it to say
    something different then edit that file and locate the line that tells
    it that a specific vid/did is called whatever it reports and change it
    to the text you want.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  19. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    jp wrote:
    > David T. Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> jp wrote:
    >> Your results are slow enough that I would download the latest SNAP
    >> driver (rather than the SNAP/se driver) and if your results don't
    >> improve, I would open a help ticket with Scitech to see if there might
    >> be a hardware/driver interaction issue that they could address.
    >>

    > Given that SYSBENCH does not recognise the graphics chipset correctly,
    > the results may well be misleading.

    The Sysbench hardware detection has never been very accurate in my
    experience. The benchmark, however, measures what the hardware does
    rather than what it is, and is independent of the hardware recognition.

    > Is there an alternative way of measuring dive performance?

    The Video Performance benchmark provides some useful results. It's on
    Hobbes.

    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/

    Search for vidperf3.zip

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and IBM Web Browser v2.0.4

  20. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    Wolfi wrote:
    > Ruediger Ihle wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:42:17 UTC, jp wrote:
    >>
    >> Get a copy of SYSBENCH and run the DIVE tests. Of special interrest for
    >> video playback is the "Video bus bandwidth". It should be at least
    >> 150.000.
    >> Good systems (especially those with AGP-fastwrite) can reach much more...

    > Ooohh, oohh. With Sysbench 0.95 and SNAPse 2.19 I'm only getting 60.000
    > with my K6-2+/500 and a Matrox G450 AGP, which should operate in 2 mode.
    >
    > What is here the limiting factor then? Lack of CPU power?

    I didn't get very good results with Matrox either on OS/2. You would
    probably get better results with the SNAP 2.9+ driver which supports AGP
    better but I think the main problem is the Matrox hardware. Nvidia and
    ATI provide much faster results in OS/2.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and IBM Web Browser v2.0.4

+ Reply to Thread