OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project - OS2

This is a discussion on OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project - OS2 ; Ruediger Ihle wrote: > On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 08:16:30 UTC, Wolfi wrote: > > >>Ooohh, oohh. With Sysbench 0.95 and SNAPse 2.19 I'm only getting 60.000 >>with my K6-2+/500 and a Matrox G450 AGP, which should operate in 2 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    Ruediger Ihle wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 08:16:30 UTC, Wolfi wrote:
    >

    >>Ooohh, oohh. With Sysbench 0.95 and SNAPse 2.19 I'm only getting 60.000
    >>with my K6-2+/500 and a Matrox G450 AGP, which should operate in 2 mode.
    >>
    >>What is here the limiting factor then? Lack of CPU power?

    > Several years ago I did tons of tests about this. I don't have the numbers handy,
    > so I cannot tell what I got from this type of hardware. In most cases, poor values
    > have to do with the mainboard chipset and/or it's initialisation by the BIOS. I have
    > found, that some older VIA chip sets perform exeptionally bad, while Intel is
    > usually O.K. On my two year old VIA KT400 mainboard, I needed three BIOS
    > updates, to get the expected video performance, while an NForce1 system
    > of about the same age worked perfectly out of the box. Also, I once tested two
    > very similar mainboard (K6-2, ALI chipsets). One of them performing reasonable,
    > the other beeing dog slow. No idea, why...
    >
    > What I can assure you is, that the Matrox in not the limiting factor. One of our tests
    > was to put the same G450 (32MB, Dualhead) in two different motherboards. While
    > it performed well (when I remember it correctly it was about 270.000) in a GigaByte
    > BX2000 (PIII 667 CPU), it crawled in some VIA based board (don't remember the
    > model).

    That would fit the picture pretty well, since I remember those (in)famous
    VIA 4in1 drivers to be some kind of essential to be installed in Windows
    right from the very beginning.

    Then I'm most likely pretty much out of luck with this mobo, since I'm
    already using the latest available BIOS for some years now.
    This then certainly changes my opinion about VIA chip sets quite a bit,
    which, since the days of their MVP3, allowing the wide use of K6 CPUs, had
    been quite positive.

    Wolfi

  2. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    Here in comp.os.os2.setup.misc,
    "Ruediger Ihle" spake unto us, saying:

    >On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:25:01 UTC, jp wrote:
    >
    >> Video bus bandwidth : 20.867 Megabytes/second

    >This is the worst value I've ever seen ! Even ancient PCI graphics
    >adapters do better.

    I can verify that. This is what I see on my PPro/200 with a classic
    4MB Matrox "MGA-2064W Storm" Millenium PCI card (which was arguably a
    very nice box video-wise in late 1996):

    Sysbench 0.9.5 result file created Wed Dec 29 01:39:21 2004

    Direct Interface to video extensions - DIVE
    Video bus bandwidth : 27.527 Megabytes/second
    DIVE fun : 92.334 fps normalised to 640x480x256
    M->S, DD, 1.00:1 : 94.000 fps normalised to 640x480x256
    Total : 35.015 DIVE-marks

    That's running in 1280x1024x16-bit with Sysbar, WarpCenter, the FM/2
    Databar, and Animated WPS mouse cursors running in the background.

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  3. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    Ruediger Ihle wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:57:31 UTC, jp wrote:
    >

    >>Given that SYSBENCH does not recognise the graphics chipset correctly,
    >>the results may well be misleading.

    > I don't think that SYSBENCH's performance results have something to do
    > with the name of the chipset shown. Also the readme from WarpOverlay!
    > says, that the PLE133 is also known as "Trident Cyberblade I1".

    I thought that SYSBENCH may use some sort of look up table to determine
    some parameters for a test based on CPUID - just clutching at straws
    really in the hope of explaining the bad performance. I can't really
    believe it is as bad as results suggest.

    >>Is there an alternative way of measuring dive performance?

    > Yes. Look for GAPERF.EXE. It comes with SNAP/SDD and must be run in
    > an OS/2 fullscreen session. The value of "CPU copies to VRAM" is nearly
    > identical to the "Video bus bandwidth" in SYSBENCH.
    >
    > BTW, would it be possible to post the results of GAPERF (prefereable at
    > 16bit color depth) here, so that we can compare it to others ?

    GAPERF is not included in the IBM version of SNAP/SDD, but I just
    grabbed and installed the PRO version, although I couldn't work out what
    parameters were required to run the test you suggest. Can you give me a
    clue?

  4. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:04:20 UTC, jp wrote:

    > GAPERF is not included in the IBM version of SNAP/SDD, but I just
    > grabbed and installed the PRO version, although I couldn't work out what
    > parameters were required to run the test you suggest. Can you give me a
    > clue?

    GAPERF 1024 768 16

    will run the test suite at a resolution of 1024x768 and a color depth of 16bits.
    You can redirect thet result output to a file, but be sure to run the program in
    a full screen OS/2 session.

    --
    Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany]
    http://www.s-t.de

  5. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    Ruediger Ihle wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:04:20 UTC, jp wrote:
    >

    >>GAPERF is not included in the IBM version of SNAP/SDD, but I just
    >>grabbed and installed the PRO version, although I couldn't work out what
    >>parameters were required to run the test you suggest. Can you give me a
    >>clue?

    > GAPERF 1024 768 16
    >
    > will run the test suite at a resolution of 1024x768 and a color depth of 16bits.
    > You can redirect thet result output to a file, but be sure to run the program in
    > a full screen OS/2 session.

    Profiling results for mode 1024x768 65536 color.

    Hardware accelerated functions:

    Integer lines (solid) => 13764.09 lines/s
    Bresenham lines (solid) => 13759.52 lines/s
    Integer lines (patterned) => 13742.80 lines/s
    Bresenham lines (patterned) => 13747.27 lines/s
    Clears (solid pattern) => 662.96 MB/s
    Clears (mono pattern) => 661.59 MB/s
    Clears (transparent mono pattern) => 662.22 MB/s
    Clears (color pattern) => 11.15 MB/s
    Clears (transparent color pattern) => 18.63 MB/s
    BitBlt screen->screen (scrolls) => 263.87 MB/s
    BitBlt memory->screen => 22.21 MB/s
    Mono image memory->screen (text) => 11.23 MB/s

    CPU Direct to Video Memory functions:

    CPU copies to VRAM => 22.24 MB/s
    CPU copies from VRAM => 7.00 MB/s
    CPU reads from VRAM => 7.28 MB/s
    CPU clears => 22.30 MB/s
    CPU reverse clears => 22.28 MB/s

    Baseline values for system memory:

    clears (REP STOSD) => 104.63 MB/s
    reverse clears => 105.10 MB/s
    reads (MOV EAX,[EDI]) => 116.25 MB/s
    copies (REP MOVSD) => 65.43 MB/s

    Overall GA-Mark: 38.60

  6. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:36:18 UTC, jp wrote:

    > Profiling results for mode 1024x768 65536 color.

    Hmm, it looks like espcially memory-to-screen transfers are terribly slow on
    your board. No idea, what to do about this.

    Here is, what I get from my notebook (as I said: not the latest and greatest
    hardware):

    Hardware accelerated functions:

    Integer lines (solid) => 29986.85 lines/s
    Bresenham lines (solid) => 29964.96 lines/s
    Integer lines (patterned) => 29404.77 lines/s
    Bresenham lines (patterned) => 28887.81 lines/s
    Clears (solid pattern) => 285.82 MB/s
    Clears (mono pattern) => 285.73 MB/s
    Clears (transparent mono pattern) => 285.84 MB/s
    Clears (color pattern) => 157.18 MB/s
    Clears (transparent color pattern) => 157.27 MB/s
    BitBlt screen->screen (scrolls) => 208.69 MB/s
    BitBlt memory->screen => 214.98 MB/s
    Mono image memory->screen (text) => 126.53 MB/s

    CPU Direct to Video Memory functions:

    CPU copies to VRAM => 214.30 MB/s
    CPU copies from VRAM => 14.05 MB/s
    CPU reads from VRAM => 7.05 MB/s
    CPU clears => 206.59 MB/s
    CPU reverse clears => 180.15 MB/s

    Baseline values for system memory:

    clears (REP STOSD) => 173.37 MB/s
    reverse clears => 163.30 MB/s
    reads (MOV EAX,[EDI]) => 372.59 MB/s
    copies (REP MOVSD) => 139.51 MB/s

    Overall GA-Mark: 38.81

    --
    Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany]
    http://www.s-t.de
    Please remove all characters left of the "R" in my email address

  7. Re: OS/2 Entertainment Centre Project

    Hi,
    I had something similar in mind but it is a very expensive project
    particularly if you want a "silent" box. Meanwhile prices of off the
    shelf video boxes are falling. In fact my project was for music
    distribution and having read about "Sonos" devices at $1000 I found
    Netgear MP101 could do most of what I wanted making use of existing PC
    as server, existing household Wireless network and Hi Fi. Suggest you
    look at this option too if you don't need video in same box. I
    believe Netgear also do Video version but I havn't seen it yet.
    Regards,
    Alastair.

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:16:58 UTC, jp
    wrote:

    > I thinking of putting together my own OS/2 based entertainment centre
    > and could do with some advice on components. Basically I want a small,
    > quite box which is networkable, sound cable and can be used as a TV
    > receiver (with radio if possible) and should be able to play CD/DVD and
    > myabe even write them. Remote control would be nice too.
    >
    > The things I've decided on so far include motherboard and case:-
    >
    > http://www.itx-warehouse.co.uk/Produ...x?ProductID=31
    >
    > http://www.itx-warehouse.co.uk/Produ...x?ProductID=86
    >
    > What other components should I get?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2