OS2386.LIB - OS2

This is a discussion on OS2386.LIB - OS2 ; Am I correct that OS2386.LIB doesn't come with a "standard" OS/2 system? I scanned my system, and apparently it comes with the toolkit and/or is distributed with compilers that need it. I seem to have copies with watcom, the toolkit, ...

  1. OS2386.LIB

    Am I correct that OS2386.LIB doesn't come with a "standard" OS/2
    system? I scanned my system, and apparently it comes with the toolkit
    and/or is distributed with compilers that need it. I seem to have
    copies with watcom, the toolkit, the DDK and IBM PL/I. Not that it's
    probably relevant at this point, but are there any copyright problems
    including a copy as part of my own package?

    Also, as I recall, LINK386 comes with standard OS/2, although its
    installation is optional, so I can assume everyone would have access
    to it, right?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: OS2386.LIB

    Hi!

    Peter_Flass@Yahoo.com schrieb:
    > Am I correct that OS2386.LIB doesn't come with a "standard" OS/2
    > system?

    True. Only the DLLs are the redistributable runtime files.

    > I scanned my system, and apparently it comes with the toolkit
    > and/or is distributed with compilers that need it. I seem to have
    > copies with watcom, the toolkit, the DDK and IBM PL/I. Not that it's
    > probably relevant at this point, but are there any copyright problems
    > including a copy as part of my own package?

    Are you talking about a source code distribution?

    > Also, as I recall, LINK386 comes with standard OS/2, although its
    > installation is optional, so I can assume everyone would have access
    > to it, right?

    Yes, some version.
    But I still can't see what kind of users are your target group. The will
    need OS2386.LIB and LINK386 but they do not need a compiler?

    Marcel

  3. Re: OS2386.LIB

    Marcel Müller wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Peter_Flass@Yahoo.com schrieb:
    >
    >> Am I correct that OS2386.LIB doesn't come with a "standard" OS/2
    >> system?

    > True. Only the DLLs are the redistributable runtime files.
    >
    >> I scanned my system, and apparently it comes with the toolkit
    >> and/or is distributed with compilers that need it. I seem to have
    >> copies with watcom, the toolkit, the DDK and IBM PL/I. Not that it's
    >> probably relevant at this point, but are there any copyright problems
    >> including a copy as part of my own package?

    > Are you talking about a source code distribution?
    >

    >> Also, as I recall, LINK386 comes with standard OS/2, although its
    >> installation is optional, so I can assume everyone would have access
    >> to it, right?

    > Yes, some version.
    > But I still can't see what kind of users are your target group. The will
    > need OS2386.LIB and LINK386 but they do not need a compiler?
    >

    > Marcel

    That's what I'm going to be distributing. I have a pretty-nearly
    working PL/I compiler I'm planning to ship alpha versions of real soon now.

  4. Re: OS2386.LIB

    Peter Flass schrieb:
    >> But I still can't see what kind of users are your target group. The
    >> will need OS2386.LIB and LINK386 but they do not need a compiler?

    > That's what I'm going to be distributing. I have a pretty-nearly
    > working PL/I compiler I'm planning to ship alpha versions of real soon now.

    OK. I would try to use the libraries from the emx package (converted to
    OMF if rquired) if the GPL license does not conflict with your ideas.

    Marcel

  5. Re: OS2386.LIB

    Marcel Müller wrote:
    > Peter Flass schrieb:
    >>> But I still can't see what kind of users are your target group. The
    >>> will need OS2386.LIB and LINK386 but they do not need a compiler?

    >> That's what I'm going to be distributing. I have a pretty-nearly
    >> working PL/I compiler I'm planning to ship alpha versions of real soon
    >> now.

    > OK. I would try to use the libraries from the emx package (converted to
    > OMF if rquired) if the GPL license does not conflict with your ideas.
    >

    > Marcel

    There is also the klibc libraries which are a mixture of BSD and LGPL
    licensing. Also I'd think that the openwatcom library would be
    redistributable but haven't read the license that close.
    Also there is a version of ilink (and rc.exe) that IBM has distributed
    though it may only be for building Mozilla.
    Dave

  6. Re: OS2386.LIB

    Hi Peter:

    You had written:
    > That's what I'm going to be distributing. I have a
    > pretty-nearly working PL/I compiler I'm planning to ship alpha
    > versions of real soon now.

    PL/I !?! Ooooh - ha ! Go for it ! Keep us posted ! A salute
    to you for this.

    John.

  7. Re: OS2386.LIB

    On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 16:36:44 -0400, Peter Flass wrote:

    :>
    :>That's what I'm going to be distributing. I have a pretty-nearly
    :>working PL/I compiler I'm planning to ship alpha versions of real soon now.

    It's late in the game, but have you considered creating a PL/1 frontend for
    OpenWatcom? You then have the advantage of multiplatform support and you
    don't need to worry about the code generation.

    Mat Nieuwenhoven

  8. Re: OS2386.LIB

    Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote:
    > On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 16:36:44 -0400, Peter Flass wrote:
    >

    > :>
    > :>That's what I'm going to be distributing. I have a pretty-nearly
    > :>working PL/I compiler I'm planning to ship alpha versions of real soon now.
    >
    > It's late in the game, but have you considered creating a PL/1 frontend for
    > OpenWatcom? You then have the advantage of multiplatform support and you
    > don't need to worry about the code generation.
    >
    > Mat Nieuwenhoven

    It is pretty late. I've got the compiler running on OS/2, still with a
    few bugs to squash. Anyway, while the OS/2 version will pretty much be
    a gimme, I hope to port it to Linux and maybe market it.

    There's an ongoing effort to build a PL/I frontend to gcc that will do
    what you suggest.

+ Reply to Thread