Renaming DLLs? - OS2

This is a discussion on Renaming DLLs? - OS2 ; Is it possible to rename DLLs under OS/2? Perhaps by creating a new import lib and relinking an application? Dave...

  1. Renaming DLLs?

    Is it possible to rename DLLs under OS/2? Perhaps by creating a new
    import lib and relinking an application?
    Dave

  2. Re: Renaming DLLs?

    Dave Yeo wrote:
    > Is it possible to rename DLLs under OS/2? Perhaps by creating a new
    > import lib and relinking an application?

    No. The application still looks for the original filename.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  3. Re: Renaming DLLs?

    In , on 07/24/2007
    at 05:59 AM, Dave Yeo said:

    Hi,

    >Is it possible to rename DLLs under OS/2? Perhaps by creating a new
    >import lib and relinking an application?

    Yes, it can be done, although there are limitiations. DLLs contains their
    name both internally and externally. If you change one, you need to
    change the other. You can use DLLRNAME or a hex editor to do the rename,
    but the new name must be the same length.

    Some applications do not look for DLLs explicitly by name. For example,
    printer drivers contain the DLL name in the EAs. To rename a printer
    driver DLL, the EAs need to be updated too. There's no command line tool
    for this, but a hex editor will get the job done.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 3.00 beta 07 #10183

  4. Re: Renaming DLLs?

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 16:35:25 UTC, Jim Moe wrote:
    > Dave Yeo wrote:

    > > Is it possible to rename DLLs under OS/2? Perhaps by creating a new
    > > import lib and relinking an application?
    > >

    > No. The application still looks for the original filename.

    That doesn't really answer the O.P.'s question. Yes, you can rename
    a dll, though obviously, the app that uses it has to know about the
    new name.

    Beside renaming the file, you also have to change the module name
    which is embedded in the file. In nearly all cases, this is simply
    the filename minus extension. The new name may not be any longer
    than the name it replaces. If it's shorter, you have to modify the
    size byte which preceeds the name. If you're just experimenting,
    you can use a hex editor or the dllrname util that comes with VACPP.

    Another option is this REXX script:
    http://e-vertise.com/misc/renamemodule.zip

    This is taken from a larger script I use with some apps that lets
    users create NLS resource dlls on their own. renamemodule.cmd
    just makes the module name match the file name. The larger script
    makes a copy of a generically-named dll with a language-appropriate
    name, renames the module to match, then runs RC to bind NLS resources
    to it.

    --
    == == almost usable email address: rws AT e-vertise.com == ==

    | Remote Workplace Server v0.80
    Rich Walsh | interact with the WPS from any program
    Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/rws/rws080.zip

  5. Re: Renaming DLLs?

    Steven Levine wrote:
    > In , on 07/24/2007
    > at 05:59 AM, Dave Yeo said:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    >> Is it possible to rename DLLs under OS/2? Perhaps by creating a new
    >> import lib and relinking an application?

    > Yes, it can be done, although there are limitiations. DLLs contains their
    > name both internally and externally. If you change one, you need to
    > change the other. You can use DLLRNAME or a hex editor to do the rename,
    > but the new name must be the same length.
    >
    > Some applications do not look for DLLs explicitly by name. For example,
    > printer drivers contain the DLL name in the EAs. To rename a printer
    > driver DLL, the EAs need to be updated too. There's no command line tool
    > for this, but a hex editor will get the job done.
    >

    > Steven

    Ok, that is how I vaguely remembered it. Actually in the case I'm
    dealing with it seems the simple solution is to use the final name in
    the def then the DLL would work only after being renamed.
    Dave

  6. Re: Renaming DLLs?

    On a pleasant day while strolling in
    comp.os.os2.programmer.misc, a person by the name of
    Dave Yeo exclaimed:
    > Is it possible to rename DLLs under OS/2? Perhaps by creating a new
    > import lib and relinking an application?
    > Dave

    Using a tool like DLLRNAME or renmodul

    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-search?key=renmodul

    --