Resource compiler - which is not buggy? - OS2

This is a discussion on Resource compiler - which is not buggy? - OS2 ; I am currently playing with a little PM application, trying whatever can be done with the menus (like putting bitmaps in, checkmarks, submenus etc.), and I am getting the impression that there is something wrong with that rc.exe I am ...

  1. Resource compiler - which is not buggy?

    I am currently playing with a little PM application, trying whatever
    can be done with the menus (like putting bitmaps in, checkmarks,
    submenus etc.), and I am getting the impression that there is
    something wrong with that rc.exe I am using!

    Symptom:

    For a quite "normal" construct like

    MENUITEM "test...", ID..., MIS_TEXT | MIS_SUBMENU
    BEGIN
    MENUITEM ...
    END
    MENUITEM "next...", ID..., MIS_TEXT
    etc.

    I am getting sometimes garbled text in some of the menu lines! I can
    make some changes, drop items, add others etc., and I either get rid
    of the garbled parts, or they change, or they go to another place in
    the menu. Normally there is no obvious relationship between where I do
    a change and where the garbled parts appear!

    Now I see that I have 3 versions of rc.exe on my computer (in the
    order they appear in the PATH):

    1999-06-30 15:27:28 88'045 0 _____A C:\ECS\BIN\RC.EXE
    2000-11-29 09:25:56 88'041 0 _____A C:\OS2\RC.EXE
    1995-05-31 12:04:18 101'435 0 _____A E:\IBMCPP30\BIN
    \RC.EXE

    I can switch to another one of the three, but that doesn't seem to
    help so far, but I remember discussions about some versions of rc.exe
    being buggy and others not, but I do NOT remember what the problem was
    and which versions would be the best!

    Any helpful hints anybody?

  2. Re: Resource compiler - which is not buggy?

    cbockem wrote:
    > I am currently playing with a little PM application, trying whatever
    > can be done with the menus (like putting bitmaps in, checkmarks,
    > submenus etc.), and I am getting the impression that there is
    > something wrong with that rc.exe I am using!
    >
    > Symptom:
    >
    > For a quite "normal" construct like
    >
    > MENUITEM "test...", ID..., MIS_TEXT | MIS_SUBMENU
    > BEGIN
    > MENUITEM ...
    > END
    > MENUITEM "next...", ID..., MIS_TEXT
    > etc.
    >
    > I am getting sometimes garbled text in some of the menu lines! I can
    > make some changes, drop items, add others etc., and I either get rid
    > of the garbled parts, or they change, or they go to another place in
    > the menu. Normally there is no obvious relationship between where I do
    > a change and where the garbled parts appear!
    >
    > Now I see that I have 3 versions of rc.exe on my computer (in the
    > order they appear in the PATH):
    >
    > 1999-06-30 15:27:28 88'045 0 _____A C:\ECS\BIN\RC.EXE
    > 2000-11-29 09:25:56 88'041 0 _____A C:\OS2\RC.EXE
    > 1995-05-31 12:04:18 101'435 0 _____A E:\IBMCPP30\BIN
    > \RC.EXE
    >
    > I can switch to another one of the three, but that doesn't seem to
    > help so far, but I remember discussions about some versions of rc.exe
    > being buggy and others not, but I do NOT remember what the problem was
    > and which versions would be the best!
    >
    > Any helpful hints anybody?

    The RC.exe that is recommended for building the mozilla browsers is
    01/30/03 04:39pm 727590 .ra.. rc.exe reports itself as version
    5.000.007 and is found in \toolkit\os2tk45\bin on CD 2 of eCS 1.2r
    (maybe earlier versions too). If you don't have eCS try
    ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/produc.../os2tk40rc.zip which is
    a link from the mozilla build instructions. HTH

    Gregg

  3. Re: Resource compiler - which is not buggy?

    On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 12:09:07 UTC cbockem wrote:

    > I am currently playing with a little PM application, trying whatever
    > can be done with the menus (like putting bitmaps in, checkmarks,
    > submenus etc.), and I am getting the impression that there is
    > something wrong with that rc.exe I am using!
    >
    > Symptom:
    >
    > For a quite "normal" construct like
    >
    > MENUITEM "test...", ID..., MIS_TEXT | MIS_SUBMENU
    > BEGIN
    > MENUITEM ...
    > END
    > MENUITEM "next...", ID..., MIS_TEXT
    > etc.
    >
    > I am getting sometimes garbled text in some of the menu lines! I can
    > make some changes, drop items, add others etc., and I either get rid
    > Any helpful hints anybody?

    You could try wrc.exe from open watcom. I can mail it if you don't
    want to DL 62Mb for the full OW.

    CU/2
    --
    Frank Beythien fBeythien AT gmx.de

  4. Re: Resource compiler - which is not buggy?

    On 20 Apr., 20:47, Gregg Young wrote:

    > The RC.exe that is recommended for building the mozilla browsers is
    > 01/30/03 04:39pm 727590 .ra.. rc.exe reports itself as version
    > 5.000.007 and is found in \toolkit\os2tk45\bin on CD 2 of eCS 1.2r
    > (maybe earlier versions too). If you don't have eCS tryftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/warpzilla/os2tk40rc.zipwhich is
    > a link from the mozilla build instructions. HTH

    Great! Thank you!

    Although I am using eCS 1.2 I was too lazy for searching the CD ;-)
    and simply followed the download link - and indeed the menus are now
    looking just as they were supposed to look like!

    But really strange: I did a lot of PM programming during the last 15
    years and never really encountered myself the bugs of rc.exe that I
    read about in the forums, so I never really bothered about the right
    version to use...

    Greetings,
    Cornelis

  5. Re: Resource compiler - which is not buggy?

    On 21 Apr 2007 01:20:22 -0700, cbockem wrote:

    >But really strange: I did a lot of PM programming during the last 15
    >years and never really encountered myself the bugs of rc.exe that I
    >read about in the forums, so I never really bothered about the right
    >version to use...

    You wouldn't think about that and Nmake either. I ran into that problem
    when I ported the printer drivers from CSet to VAC++. Months after I
    left that group, I was called by them to ask where that work was because
    they could not make it work. Thay had to get the Nmake patches.

+ Reply to Thread