object id of autostart folder - OS2

This is a discussion on object id of autostart folder - OS2 ; Hello, I want to create a shadow of a program object in startup folder from Rexx. Now I figured out that the startup folder has no object id on my system. Is this normal? Hard to believe... I've checked this ...

  1. object id of autostart folder

    Hello,

    I want to create a shadow of a program object in startup folder from
    Rexx.

    Now I figured out that the startup folder has no object id on my
    system.
    Is this normal? Hard to believe...

    I've checked this with getset.cmd and getobj.exe from WPTOOLS:

    GETSET.CMD C:\Desktop\System\Systemstart
    or
    GETOBJ.EXE C:\Desktop\System\Systemstart

    These tools list the object setting incl. class information and so
    ion, but no object id.

    Here is the output:

    OBJECT "WPStartup" "Systemstart" "C:\DESKTOP\SYSTEM"
    "ICONVIEW=FLOWED,VISIBLE,NORMAL;
    TREEVIEW=LINES,VISIBLE,MINI;
    DEFAULTSORT=-2;
    ALWAYSSORT=NO;
    BACKGROUND=C:\OS2\BITMAP\ALTGRY01.BMP,T,1,I,255 255 255;
    TITLE=Systemstart;
    ICONVIEWPOS=4,48,35,50;
    NODELETE=YES;
    NOPRINT=YES;
    HELPPANEL=8002;
    HIDEBUTTON=DEFAULT;
    MINWIN=DEFAULT;
    CCVIEW=DEFAULT;
    DEFAULTVIEW=DEFAULT;"

    How to know which directory is the startup folder?

    I've searched in the os2 and system ini, but didn't found something.

    Ok, I could take the desktop directory and then add 'system' and
    'systemstart', thats qick but too dirty, and I'm sure that will not
    work on all systems.

    Maybe the obnject id is lost on my system (btw it's eCs 1.2), so it
    would be helpfull if anybody could tell me the exact label (case
    sensitive) of the object id, so that I can set it back.

    TIA!

    regards
    --
    Frank Wochatz

  2. Re: object id of autostart folder

    On Warp 4 the Autostart folder's ID is . I would think that
    this hasn't changed.

    Lars

    Frank Wochatz schrieb:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to create a shadow of a program object in startup folder from
    > Rexx.
    >
    > Now I figured out that the startup folder has no object id on my
    > system.
    > Is this normal? Hard to believe...
    >
    > I've checked this with getset.cmd and getobj.exe from WPTOOLS:
    >
    > GETSET.CMD C:\Desktop\System\Systemstart
    > or
    > GETOBJ.EXE C:\Desktop\System\Systemstart
    >
    > These tools list the object setting incl. class information and so
    > ion, but no object id.
    >
    > Here is the output:
    >
    > OBJECT "WPStartup" "Systemstart" "C:\DESKTOP\SYSTEM"
    > "ICONVIEW=FLOWED,VISIBLE,NORMAL;
    > TREEVIEW=LINES,VISIBLE,MINI;
    > DEFAULTSORT=-2;
    > ALWAYSSORT=NO;
    > BACKGROUND=C:\OS2\BITMAP\ALTGRY01.BMP,T,1,I,255 255 255;
    > TITLE=Systemstart;
    > ICONVIEWPOS=4,48,35,50;
    > NODELETE=YES;
    > NOPRINT=YES;
    > HELPPANEL=8002;
    > HIDEBUTTON=DEFAULT;
    > MINWIN=DEFAULT;
    > CCVIEW=DEFAULT;
    > DEFAULTVIEW=DEFAULT;"
    >

    > How to know which directory is the startup folder?
    >
    > I've searched in the os2 and system ini, but didn't found something.
    >
    > Ok, I could take the desktop directory and then add 'system' and
    > 'systemstart', thats qick but too dirty, and I'm sure that will not
    > work on all systems.
    >
    > Maybe the obnject id is lost on my system (btw it's eCs 1.2), so it
    > would be helpfull if anybody could tell me the exact label (case
    > sensitive) of the object id, so that I can set it back.
    >
    > TIA!
    >
    > regards

  3. Re: object id of autostart folder

    In , on 12/13/2005
    at 07:28 AM, "Frank Wochatz" said:

    >Is this normal? Hard to believe...

    Yes and no. The default object id is . However, it's
    reasonably easy to lose an object id during a WPS crash.

    >How to know which directory is the startup folder?

    You need to use your favorite object repair tool to assign an object id.

    Note that it is perfectly legal to have multiple startup folders, so you
    are really asking how to find a specific startup folder.

    Also, XWP/eWP subclass the startup folder class to implement timed startup
    folders.

    >I've searched in the os2 and system ini, but didn't found something.

    The known startup folder objects are listed in PM_WorkPlace:Startup.
    These are physical object handles (i.e. type 3) which are stored in
    PM_WorkPlace:Handles*.

    HTH,

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 2.67 #10183
    Warp4.something/14.100c_W4 www.scoug.com irc.fyrelizard.com #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)

  4. Re: object id of autostart folder

    On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 08:53:57 GMT, Steven Levine
    wrote:

    > Also, XWP/eWP subclass the startup folder class to implement timed startup
    > folders.

    Actually it doesn't. XWP/eWP implements its own startup and shutdown
    folders completely independently of the WPStartup class as supplied by
    IBM in the WPS.

  5. Re: object id of autostart folder

    Sir:

    Frank Wochatz wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to create a shadow of a program object in startup folder from
    > Rexx.
    >
    > Now I figured out that the startup folder has no object id on my
    > system.
    > Is this normal? Hard to believe...
    >
    > I've checked this with getset.cmd and getobj.exe from WPTOOLS:
    >
    > GETSET.CMD C:\Desktop\System\Systemstart
    > or
    > GETOBJ.EXE C:\Desktop\System\Systemstart
    >
    > These tools list the object setting incl. class information and so
    > ion, but no object id.
    >
    > Here is the output:
    >
    > OBJECT "WPStartup" "Systemstart" "C:\DESKTOP\SYSTEM"
    > "ICONVIEW=FLOWED,VISIBLE,NORMAL;
    > TREEVIEW=LINES,VISIBLE,MINI;
    > DEFAULTSORT=-2;
    > ALWAYSSORT=NO;
    > BACKGROUND=C:\OS2\BITMAP\ALTGRY01.BMP,T,1,I,255 255 255;
    > TITLE=Systemstart;
    > ICONVIEWPOS=4,48,35,50;
    > NODELETE=YES;
    > NOPRINT=YES;
    > HELPPANEL=8002;
    > HIDEBUTTON=DEFAULT;
    > MINWIN=DEFAULT;
    > CCVIEW=DEFAULT;
    > DEFAULTVIEW=DEFAULT;"
    >

    > How to know which directory is the startup folder?
    >
    > I've searched in the os2 and system ini, but didn't found something.
    >
    > Ok, I could take the desktop directory and then add 'system' and
    > 'systemstart', thats qick but too dirty, and I'm sure that will not
    > work on all systems.
    >
    > Maybe the obnject id is lost on my system (btw it's eCs 1.2), so it
    > would be helpfull if anybody could tell me the exact label (case
    > sensitive) of the object id, so that I can set it back.

    IF you look into the ini.rc file, you'll see that the object ID assigned
    is .
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  6. Re: object id of autostart folder

    Sir:

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Frank Wochatz wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I want to create a shadow of a program object in startup folder from
    >> Rexx.
    >> Now I figured out that the startup folder has no object id on my
    >> system. Is this normal? Hard to believe...
    >>
    >> I've checked this with getset.cmd and getobj.exe from WPTOOLS:
    >>
    >> GETSET.CMD C:\Desktop\System\Systemstart
    >> or
    >> GETOBJ.EXE C:\Desktop\System\Systemstart
    >>
    >> These tools list the object setting incl. class information and so
    >> ion, but no object id.
    >>
    >> Here is the output:
    >>
    >> OBJECT "WPStartup" "Systemstart" "C:\DESKTOP\SYSTEM"
    >> "ICONVIEW=FLOWED,VISIBLE,NORMAL;
    >> TREEVIEW=LINES,VISIBLE,MINI;
    >> DEFAULTSORT=-2;
    >> ALWAYSSORT=NO;
    >> BACKGROUND=C:\OS2\BITMAP\ALTGRY01.BMP,T,1,I,255 255 255;
    >> TITLE=Systemstart;
    >> ICONVIEWPOS=4,48,35,50;
    >> NODELETE=YES;
    >> NOPRINT=YES;
    >> HELPPANEL=8002;
    >> HIDEBUTTON=DEFAULT;
    >> MINWIN=DEFAULT;
    >> CCVIEW=DEFAULT;
    >> DEFAULTVIEW=DEFAULT;"
    >>

    >> How to know which directory is the startup folder?
    >> I've searched in the os2 and system ini, but didn't found something.
    >>
    >> Ok, I could take the desktop directory and then add 'system' and
    >> 'systemstart', thats qick but too dirty, and I'm sure that will not
    >> work on all systems.
    >>
    >> Maybe the obnject id is lost on my system (btw it's eCs 1.2), so it
    >> would be helpfull if anybody could tell me the exact label (case
    >> sensitive) of the object id, so that I can set it back.
    >>

    > IF you look into the ini.rc file, you'll see that the object ID assigned
    > is

    Wrong. Bill look on the right line .

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  7. Re: object id of autostart folder

    In , on 12/13/2005
    at 07:36 PM, Paul Ratcliffe said:

    >> Also, XWP/eWP subclass the startup folder class to implement timed startup
    >> folders.

    >Actually it doesn't. XWP/eWP implements its own startup and shutdown
    >folders completely independently of the WPStartup class as supplied by
    >IBM in the WPS.

    Ooops. My bad for not checking first.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 2.67 #10183
    Warp4.something/14.100c_W4 www.scoug.com irc.fyrelizard.com #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)

  8. Re: object id of autostart folder

    Thanks to all for the hints, I aprreciate it.

    > On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 08:53:57 GMT, Steven Levine
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Also, XWP/eWP subclass the startup folder class to implement timed startup
    > > folders.

    > Actually it doesn't. XWP/eWP implements its own startup and shutdown
    > folders completely independently of the WPStartup class as supplied by
    > IBM in the WPS.

    But what does the last point mean for me exactly?

    I want to write a Rexx based installer, which creates a shadow of an
    object at startup folder. What should i do now, if I find XWP? Works
    the as well, or should I let the fingers from this and let
    the user create the shadow manually?

    regards
    --
    Frank Wochatz

  9. Re: object id of autostart folder

    On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:39:05 +0000 (UTC), Frank Wochatz
    wrote:

    >> > Also, XWP/eWP subclass the startup folder class to implement timed startup
    >> > folders.

    >> Actually it doesn't. XWP/eWP implements its own startup and shutdown
    >> folders completely independently of the WPStartup class as supplied by
    >> IBM in the WPS.

    > But what does the last point mean for me exactly?

    Nothing. I was just correcting an incorrect assertion. It has no bearing
    on your problem.

    > I want to write a Rexx based installer, which creates a shadow of an
    > object at startup folder. What should i do now, if I find XWP? Works
    > the as well, or should I let the fingers from this and let
    > the user create the shadow manually?

    Firstly, you should make sure your system has as the object ID
    for the original Startup folder.

    IMHO, you should try creating any shadows in the folder. If
    that fails, then you can either alert the user or attempt to create it
    in the folder, which hopefully they will see and move somewhere
    else.
    If you desire to support XWP, then you could possibly create it in the
    folder, but this may not be the only XWP Startup folder, as
    there can be more than one.

+ Reply to Thread