Network questions - OS2

This is a discussion on Network questions - OS2 ; I have a couple questions I haven't really been able to answer. First interface numbering, how is it hard coded into OS/2? Lan0-Lan7 (0-7), lo (9), and Slip/PPP 10 and up? What is interface 8? I used os2_ioctl and ioctl ...

  1. Network questions

    I have a couple questions I haven't really been able to answer.

    First interface numbering, how is it hard coded into OS/2? Lan0-Lan7
    (0-7), lo (9), and Slip/PPP 10 and up? What is interface 8?

    I used os2_ioctl and ioctl in a program to gather interface information.
    Here is an example from the system I am using.

    Interface 9 Software Loopback IFname lo

    physical address 00:00:00:00:00:00
    ethernet address 127.0.0.1
    broadcast address 127.0.0.1
    interface mask 255.0.0.0

    Type: HT_PPP (24) Status: UNKNOWN (0) MTU: 1536

    Interface 0 Ethernet-Csmacd IFname lan0

    physical address 00:d0:b7:c0:7a:40
    ethernet address 192.168.1.2
    broadcast address 192.168.1.255
    interface mask 255.255.255.0

    Type: HT_ETHER (6) Status: UP (1) MTU: 1500

    Notice that Interface 9 (lo) has a description of Software Loopback. I
    did this because the actual return was Ethernet-Csmacd. Also, hardware
    type is HT_PPP (24). Here is and example of what a person using a dialup
    connection sent me:

    Interface 10 IFname ppp0

    physical address 00:00:00:00:00:00
    ethernet address 207.96.195.206
    broadcast address 207.96.195.6
    interface mask 255.255.255.255

    Type: HT_SLIP Status: UNKNOWN MTU: 1500

    Notice there is no description name and the interface name is ppp0 but
    hardware type is HT_SLIP. Also, no loopback is configured.

    Anyone have any details on how interfaces are numbered?

    --
    M Greene

    IRC (MikeG)

    OS/2 Stuff : http://members.cox.net/greenemk/os2/
    My OpenWatcom : http://members.cox.net/mikeos2/

  2. Re: Network questions

    Michael Greene wrote:
    > I have a couple questions I haven't really been able to answer.
    >
    > First interface numbering, how is it hard coded into OS/2? Lan0-Lan7
    > (0-7), lo (9), and Slip/PPP 10 and up? What is interface 8?
    >
    > I used os2_ioctl and ioctl in a program to gather interface information.
    > Here is an example from the system I am using.
    >
    > Interface 9 Software Loopback IFname lo
    >
    > physical address 00:00:00:00:00:00
    > ethernet address 127.0.0.1
    > broadcast address 127.0.0.1
    > interface mask 255.0.0.0
    >
    > Type: HT_PPP (24) Status: UNKNOWN (0) MTU: 1536
    >
    > Interface 0 Ethernet-Csmacd IFname lan0
    >
    > physical address 00:d0:b7:c0:7a:40
    > ethernet address 192.168.1.2
    > broadcast address 192.168.1.255
    > interface mask 255.255.255.0
    >
    > Type: HT_ETHER (6) Status: UP (1) MTU: 1500
    >
    > Notice that Interface 9 (lo) has a description of Software Loopback. I
    > did this because the actual return was Ethernet-Csmacd. Also, hardware
    > type is HT_PPP (24). Here is and example of what a person using a dialup
    > connection sent me:
    >
    > Interface 10 IFname ppp0
    >
    > physical address 00:00:00:00:00:00
    > ethernet address 207.96.195.206
    > broadcast address 207.96.195.6
    > interface mask 255.255.255.255
    >
    > Type: HT_SLIP Status: UNKNOWN MTU: 1500
    >
    > Notice there is no description name and the interface name is ppp0 but
    > hardware type is HT_SLIP. Also, no loopback is configured.
    >
    > Anyone have any details on how interfaces are numbered?

    I hate when I post a question and then find part of the answer! It's not
    hardware type but iftype (RFC 1213).

    --
    M Greene

    IRC (MikeG)