re rc problems - OS2

This is a discussion on re rc problems - OS2 ; Hi I have had problems within drdialog displaying icons in dll's so normally converted these into bitmaps which normally worked, using the bmptodll tool, now with VxRexx I have hit a dead end, making the dll with the drdialog tool ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: re rc problems

  1. re rc problems

    Hi

    I have had problems within drdialog displaying icons in dll's so
    normally converted these into bitmaps which normally worked, using the
    bmptodll tool, now with VxRexx I have hit a dead end, making the dll
    with the drdialog tool does not work! using this version, which is meant
    to be the good one :

    IBM RC (Resource Compiler) Version 5.00.002 Dec 18 1997
    Copyright (C) IBM Corp. 1997.
    - Licensed Materials - Program Property of IBM - All Rights Reserved.
    US Government Users Restricted Rights - Use, duplication or disclosure
    restricted by GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corp.

    so I make a rc file uniarch.rc, which looks something like this:
    BITMAP 1 convert.bmp
    BITMAP 2 convertd.bmp
    BITMAP 3 save.bmp
    BITMAP 4 saved.bmp
    BITMAP 5 new.bmp
    BITMAP 6 newd.bmp

    ICON 10 ARJ.ICO
    ICON 11 Compress 04.ICO
    ICON 12 LHA.ICO
    ICON 13 LHA2.ICO
    ICON 14 Info.ico
    ICON 15 test2.ico
    ICON 16 Zip.ICO
    ICON 17 Zipped.ICO
    ICON 18 zip2.ico

    I make a res file
    rc -r uniarch.rc uniarch.res all goes fine, I end up with a resource
    file but how do I convert this to a dll
    rc uniarch.rc uniarch.dll nor does rc -x2 uniarch.res uniarch.dll

    RC :Error 1002:RC could not find file .

    does not even say what file it's looking for, any ideas?????????????

    In desperation I turned to a resource manager which I found on hobbes
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/dev/util/resmgr.zip

    make the res file rc -r mufile.rc myfile.res
    resmgr.cmd -a uniarch.rc uniarch.dll,
    seems to work then I normally
    lxlite it, but not on all files so I need to know if I am using the
    wrong switches with rc, because I did get it work work, just forgoten how!!!

    Regards

    Adrian

  2. Re: rc problems

    On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:21:29 UTC, adrian suri wrote:

    > I make a res file
    > rc -r uniarch.rc uniarch.res all goes fine, I end up with a resource
    > file but how do I convert this to a dll
    > rc uniarch.rc uniarch.dll nor does rc -x2 uniarch.res uniarch.dll
    >
    > RC :Error 1002:RC could not find file .
    >
    > does not even say what file it's looking for, any ideas?????????????


    You can not convert .rc to .dll, resources should be attached to existent dll.
    Just take any existent file (for example, STUB.EXE), rename it to uniarch.dll,
    and then run:
    rc -r uniarch.rc uniarch.dll

    --
    Yuri Proniakin

  3. Re: re rc problems

    On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:20:05 UTC, "Yuri Proniakin" wrote:

    > You can not convert .rc to .dll, resources should be attached to existent dll.
    > Just take any existent file (for example, STUB.EXE), rename it to uniarch.dll,
    > and then run:
    > rc -r uniarch.rc uniarch.dll


    Sorry, I was wrong, it's impossible to use a DOS-stub (without a LX-header).
    I completely forgot that dummy.dll, which I use for this procedure, is not
    a renamed stub.exe, but a special dummy dll, created around it.
    And, naturally, command line should be "rc uniarch.rc uniarch.dll" or
    "rc -r uniarch.res uniarch.dll", not "rc -r uniarch.rc uniarch.dll".

    --
    Yuri Proniakin

  4. Re: rc problems

    In , on 11/15/2005
    at 05:20 PM, "Yuri Proniakin" said:

    >You can not convert .rc to .dll, resources should be attached to existent
    >dll. Just take any existent file (for example, STUB.EXE), rename it to
    >uniarch.dll, and then run:
    >rc -r uniarch.rc uniarch.dll


    My solution for this problem is to

    lxlite /c:minstub

    to restore the missing stub. Here's a snippet from the fm/2 makefile
    showing the required sequence

    $(BASERES).dll: $(BASERES).res
    @if not exist $@ echo $@ missing
    lxlite $@ /x+ /b-
    lxlite $@ /c:minstub
    $(RC) -x2 $(BASERES).res $@
    lxlite $@ /x- /b-
    bldlevel $@

    This method is also handy if one wants to use chkdll32 on the dll.

    Steven

    --
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 2.67 #10183
    Warp4.something/14.100c_W4 www.scoug.com irc.fyrelizard.com #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  5. Re: rc problems

    hi

    it looks like these postings are not getting through my news server,
    anyway some more questions,
    what is the advantage or point in creating a resourse file first ??
    rc uniarch.rc uniarch.res

    Steven Levine wrote:
    > In , on 11/15/2005
    > at 05:20 PM, "Yuri Proniakin" said:
    >
    > >You can not convert .rc to .dll, resources should be attached to existent
    > >dll. Just take any existent file (for example, STUB.EXE), rename it to
    > >uniarch.dll, and then run:
    > >rc -r uniarch.rc uniarch.dll

    >

    I thought the r switch was for creating compiled resourse files, not
    dll's?

    > My solution for this problem is to
    >
    > lxlite /c:minstub
    >
    > to restore the missing stub. Here's a snippet from the fm/2 makefile
    > showing the required sequence
    >
    > $(BASERES).dll: $(BASERES).res
    > @if not exist $@ echo $@ missing
    > lxlite $@ /x+ /b-
    > lxlite $@ /c:minstub
    > $(RC) -x2 $(BASERES).res $@
    > lxlite $@ /x- /b-
    > bldlevel $@
    >
    > This method is also handy if one wants to use chkdll32 on the dll.
    >
    > Steven
    >
    > --
    > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Steven Levine MR2/ICE 2.67 #10183
    > Warp4.something/14.100c_W4 www.scoug.com irc.fyrelizard.com #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)
    > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



  6. Re: rc problems

    Hi

    if you respond can you cc it to asuri tele2.se as I am not getting
    the feed

    adrian

    adriansuri@gmail.com wrote:
    > hi
    >
    > it looks like these postings are not getting through my news server,
    > anyway some more questions,
    > what is the advantage or point in creating a resourse file first ??
    > rc uniarch.rc uniarch.res
    >
    > Steven Levine wrote:
    >
    >>In , on 11/15/2005
    >> at 05:20 PM, "Yuri Proniakin" said:
    >>
    >>
    >>>You can not convert .rc to .dll, resources should be attached to existent
    >>>dll. Just take any existent file (for example, STUB.EXE), rename it to
    >>>uniarch.dll, and then run:
    >>>rc -r uniarch.rc uniarch.dll

    >>

    > I thought the r switch was for creating compiled resourse files, not
    > dll's?
    >
    >
    >>My solution for this problem is to
    >>
    >> lxlite /c:minstub
    >>
    >>to restore the missing stub. Here's a snippet from the fm/2 makefile
    >>showing the required sequence
    >>
    >>$(BASERES).dll: $(BASERES).res
    >> @if not exist $@ echo $@ missing
    >> lxlite $@ /x+ /b-
    >> lxlite $@ /c:minstub
    >> $(RC) -x2 $(BASERES).res $@
    >> lxlite $@ /x- /b-
    >> bldlevel $@
    >>
    >>This method is also handy if one wants to use chkdll32 on the dll.
    >>
    >>Steven
    >>
    >>--
    >>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>Steven Levine MR2/ICE 2.67 #10183
    >>Warp4.something/14.100c_W4 www.scoug.com irc.fyrelizard.com #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)
    >>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    >
    >


  7. Re: rc problems

    In <1132259205.436761.11780@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>, on 11/17/2005
    at 12:26 PM, adriansuri@gmail.com said:

    Hi,

    >what is the advantage or point in creating a resourse file first ?? rc
    >uniarch.rc uniarch.res


    There are several reasons for this. That's what the original makefile
    did. If one wants to use the dialog editor, .res files are the input it
    wants. There was a time when rc tended to work better when run in two
    stages. Rc.exe is still not what I would call defect free. One needs to
    keep a collection of rc.exe's and hope to find one that is bug free for
    the .rc file at hand.

    Regards,

    Steven

    --
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 2.67 #10183
    Warp4.something/14.100c_W4 www.scoug.com irc.fyrelizard.com #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  8. Re: rc problems

    Steven Levine wrote:
    > In <1132259205.436761.11780@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>, on 11/17/2005
    > at 12:26 PM, adriansuri@gmail.com said:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    >
    >>what is the advantage or point in creating a resourse file first ?? rc
    >>uniarch.rc uniarch.res

    >
    >
    > There are several reasons for this. That's what the original makefile
    > did. If one wants to use the dialog editor, .res files are the input it
    > wants. There was a time when rc tended to work better when run in two
    > stages. Rc.exe is still not what I would call defect free. One needs to
    > keep a collection of rc.exe's and hope to find one that is bug free for
    > the .rc file at hand.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Steven
    >


    I know I am late on this topic, but has anyone had trouble with wrc that
    comes with OW? I tried it with FTEPM and it worked fine so is it just
    not been around and tried enough?


    --
    M Greene

    IRC (MikeG)

    OS/2 Stuff : http://members.cox.net/greenemk/os2/
    My OpenWatcom : http://members.cox.net/mikeos2/

+ Reply to Thread