Open 32 - OS2

This is a discussion on Open 32 - OS2 ; Hi, I'm contemplating now about how should one write Win32 and OS/2 version of an application, better said, how to write the GUI parts. I can either have pure Win32 GUI in Win32 binary and pure PM GUI in OS/2 ...

  1. Open 32

    Hi,

    I'm contemplating now about how should one write Win32 and OS/2 version
    of an application, better said, how to write the GUI parts. I can either
    have pure Win32 GUI in Win32 binary and pure PM GUI in OS/2 binary, or
    have a pure Win32 GUI in Win32 binary and Open32+PM GUI in OS/2 binary.

    The latter approach may reduce coding effort I presume, however, is it
    worth it? Is Open32 viable enough still? Or is it a
    OS/2-speech-recognition-status type of API, i.e. available for
    historical reasons, but no longer maintained, supported and probably buggy?

    As for Win32, I don't think I'll go for latest bells and whistles. I
    just think of how not to code the GUI twice in entirety. And I think
    with C in mind, no java ;-)

    Cheers,
    Martin

  2. Re: Open 32

    What about taking a look at wxWindows / wxWidgets which has an OS/2 port underway?

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems

  3. Re: Open 32

    Michael Lueck wrote:

    > What about taking a look at wxWindows / wxWidgets which has an OS/2 port
    > underway?

    I am aware that something like wxWindows exist and that there is an OS/2
    port (don't know the status, though). To be honest, I'm glad I somehow
    learned PM to some degree, and I don't know whether I want to learn one
    more windowing system (well, Win32 is also "one more windowing system",
    but it is very similar to PM, at least conceptually, and that is most
    important).

    One questions is still open - is there any OS/2 app that is built on
    wxWindows, so that I can have a look at it how it performs?

    Anyway, I went through the Open32 redbook from 1996, and saw that it's
    not a simple layer on top of PM, and that one can't mix Open32 and PM
    much in OS/2 version of source code. Too bad.

    Cheers,
    Martin

  4. Re: Open 32

    Based on other's comments, then maybe you are next best with using OpenClass on the two platforms. It does keep you from porting to Linux. PMView is an example of this. Peter did a lot of work to
    debug OC so it would compile with MSCPP vs VisAge on Windows.

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems
    http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/

  5. Re: Open 32

    Michael Lueck wrote:
    > Based on other's comments, then maybe you are next best with using
    > OpenClass on the two platforms. It does keep you from porting to Linux.
    > PMView is an example of this. Peter did a lot of work to debug OC so it
    > would compile with MSCPP vs VisAge on Windows.

    OpenClass isn't free, is it? And it smells like C++ :-)

    Cheers,
    Martin

  6. Re: Open 32

    Herbert Rosenau wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:09:50 UTC, MMI wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I'm contemplating now about how should one write Win32 and OS/2 version
    >>of an application, better said, how to write the GUI parts. I can either
    >>have pure Win32 GUI in Win32 binary and pure PM GUI in OS/2 binary, or
    >>have a pure Win32 GUI in Win32 binary and Open32+PM GUI in OS/2 binary.
    >>
    >>The latter approach may reduce coding effort I presume, however, is it
    >>worth it? Is Open32 viable enough still? Or is it a
    >>OS/2-speech-recognition-status type of API, i.e. available for
    >>historical reasons, but no longer maintained, supported and probably buggy?
    >>
    >>As for Win32, I don't think I'll go for latest bells and whistles. I
    >>just think of how not to code the GUI twice in entirety. And I think
    >>with C in mind, no java ;-)

    > It's very longh ago that I had the need to do that but not oly
    > Win32/OS2 but UNIX and LINUX too.
    >
    > The most easy trick I found was to write wrapper fuctions who calls
    > the OS native API, hiding them from the whole application.
    >
    > On other hand you need to design your whole app from ground up for
    > been ready for that trick. That means that you would strictly separate
    > any functionality from anything you can assume that the OS or one of
    > its subsystems can do for you.
    >
    > In case a specific OS is unable to serve you a subtask you would write
    > it by yourself below the wrapper level.

    Of course, full-wrapper model can be also used, but I thought at first
    that I can use the wrappers OS/2 has already built-in. :-)

    Cheers,
    Martin

  7. Re: Open 32

    MMI wrote:

    > OpenClass isn't free, is it? And it smells like C++ :-)

    Comes with VAC++, the former prefered compiler on OS/2.

    Of course it is C++, as is wxWindows. You think you will find a function based cross platform technology in the year 2005/6?! Dream on!

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems
    http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/

  8. Re: Open 32

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 21:09:50 +0100, MMI wrote:
    > I'm contemplating now about how should one write Win32 and OS/2 version
    > of an application, better said, how to write the GUI parts. I can either
    > have pure Win32 GUI in Win32 binary and pure PM GUI in OS/2 binary, or
    > have a pure Win32 GUI in Win32 binary and Open32+PM GUI in OS/2 binary.
    >
    > The latter approach may reduce coding effort I presume, however, is it
    > worth it? Is Open32 viable enough still? Or is it a
    > OS/2-speech-recognition-status type of API, i.e. available for
    > historical reasons, but no longer maintained, supported and probably buggy?

    You might consider Odin32 rather than Open32; it is more or less a
    replacement for it. (Actually, it incoorporates and extends it, as
    I understand it.) However, I've never really looked at it myself.

    As an alternative, have you considered Dynamic Windows?

    http://dwindows.netlabs.org/
    http://www.dbsoft.org/

    I've been playing around with it, on the OS/2 side anyway, and it seems
    pretty decent. Some limitations (no support for modal dialogs, for
    instance), but a clever programmer can most likely work around them.

    Unlike wxWidgets, DWindows is a C API, rather than C++-specific.

    The real challenges are (a) getting it -- last I checked, you have to
    either download it from the Rexx/DW website
    or else checkout and build the sources
    from Netlabs CVS; and (b) little documentation apart from the header
    files. I wrote an introductory API reference book and sent it to Brian,
    it's possible he's uploaded it to CVS by now.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  9. Re: Open 32

    Michael Lueck wrote:
    > MMI wrote:
    >
    >> OpenClass isn't free, is it? And it smells like C++ :-)

    > Comes with VAC++, the former prefered compiler on OS/2.
    >
    > Of course it is C++, as is wxWindows. You think you will find a function
    > based cross platform technology in the year 2005/6?! Dream on!

    That is why I thought about Open32 first ;-)

    Cheers,
    Martin

  10. Re: Open 32

    Alex Taylor wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 21:09:50 +0100, MMI wrote:
    >
    >>I'm contemplating now about how should one write Win32 and OS/2 version
    >>of an application, better said, how to write the GUI parts. I can either
    >>have pure Win32 GUI in Win32 binary and pure PM GUI in OS/2 binary, or
    >>have a pure Win32 GUI in Win32 binary and Open32+PM GUI in OS/2 binary.
    >>
    >>The latter approach may reduce coding effort I presume, however, is it
    >>worth it? Is Open32 viable enough still? Or is it a
    >>OS/2-speech-recognition-status type of API, i.e. available for
    >>historical reasons, but no longer maintained, supported and probably buggy?

    > You might consider Odin32 rather than Open32; it is more or less a
    > replacement for it. (Actually, it incoorporates and extends it, as
    > I understand it.) However, I've never really looked at it myself.
    >

    > As an alternative, have you considered Dynamic Windows?
    >
    > http://dwindows.netlabs.org/
    > http://www.dbsoft.org/
    >
    > I've been playing around with it, on the OS/2 side anyway, and it seems
    > pretty decent. Some limitations (no support for modal dialogs, for
    > instance), but a clever programmer can most likely work around them.

    Since you seem to have much more experience than I do (none ;-), I'll
    ask a few questions:

    1. Can this be mixed with PM APIs (for example Open32 almost can't)?
    2. What about mixing it up with GPI programing (presentation spaces etc)?

    > Unlike wxWidgets, DWindows is a C API, rather than C++-specific.
    >
    > The real challenges are (a) getting it -- last I checked, you have to
    > either download it from the Rexx/DW website
    > or else checkout and build the sources
    > from Netlabs CVS; and (b) little documentation apart from the header
    > files. I wrote an introductory API reference book and sent it to Brian,
    > it's possible he's uploaded it to CVS by now.

    Seems like lotsa internet combing-through ;-)

    Cheers,
    Martin

  11. Re: Open 32

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:48:46 UTC, Michael Lueck wrote:

    > Of course it is C++, as is wxWindows. You think you will find a function based cross platform technology in the year 2005/6?! Dream on!

    Gtk+ is fairly cross-platform (no OS/2 PM though) and C-based, AFAIK. To
    use it as classes from C++ one has to install extra libs (Gtk-- and
    things like that), at least that was the case the last time I looked
    into it.
    --
    Greetings, ^
    Peter.

  12. Re: Open 32

    Ask Mark Hessling http://www.rexx.org/ how it is going with it. He was working on wrapping that into a RexxDLL.

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems
    http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/

  13. Re: Open 32

    At that very moment, MMI turned to comp.os.os2.programmer.misc and said
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm contemplating now about how should one write Win32 and OS/2 version
    > of an application, better said, how to write the GUI parts. I can either
    > have pure Win32 GUI in Win32 binary and pure PM GUI in OS/2 binary, or
    > have a pure Win32 GUI in Win32 binary and Open32+PM GUI in OS/2 binary.

    Heh, you could get hold of Sibyl and Delphi and write them both in
    Object Pascal! I've done that for an application, and it worked quite
    well, though I had to work around some Sibyl limitations. You get a nice
    graphical builder in both environments (theoritically portable, but I
    chose to build the forms separately)
    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

  14. Re: Open 32

    At that very moment, Alex Taylor turned to comp.os.os2.programmer.misc
    and said
    > http://dwindows.netlabs.org/
    > http://www.dbsoft.org/
    >
    > I've been playing around with it, on the OS/2 side anyway, and it seems
    > pretty decent. Some limitations (no support for modal dialogs, for
    > instance),

    Hm, wouldn't a modal dialog be likely the second thing you would want to
    do?

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke

  15. Re: Open 32

    On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 01:00:14 +1200, Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >> http://dwindows.netlabs.org/
    >> http://www.dbsoft.org/
    >>
    >> I've been playing around with it, on the OS/2 side anyway, and it seems
    >> pretty decent. Some limitations (no support for modal dialogs, for
    >> instance),

    > Hm, wouldn't a modal dialog be likely the second thing you would want to
    > do?

    It does seem like an unusual limitation... I asked Brian about it, and
    ISTR recall he said something to the effect that he originally designed
    DWin to use with his own projects, and none of those projects happened to
    have a need for them. I get the impression he's reasonably open to the
    idea of adding or modifying stuff, though.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  16. Re: Open 32

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 22:04:14 +0100, MMI wrote:
    >> As an alternative, have you considered Dynamic Windows?
    >>
    >> http://dwindows.netlabs.org/
    >> http://www.dbsoft.org/
    >>
    >> I've been playing around with it, on the OS/2 side anyway, and it seems
    >> pretty decent. Some limitations (no support for modal dialogs, for
    >> instance), but a clever programmer can most likely work around them.

    > Since you seem to have much more experience than I do (none ;-), I'll
    > ask a few questions:
    >
    > 1. Can this be mixed with PM APIs (for example Open32 almost can't)?

    I believe it can. You probably want to be careful about conflicting with
    DW's own PM handling, though. Depends on the context, I guess.

    > 2. What about mixing it up with GPI programing (presentation spaces etc)?

    I know basically nothing about GPI, so can't comment on that.

    >> Unlike wxWidgets, DWindows is a C API, rather than C++-specific.
    >>
    >> The real challenges are (a) getting it -- last I checked, you have to
    >> either download it from the Rexx/DW website
    >> or else checkout and build the sources
    >> from Netlabs CVS; and (b) little documentation apart from the header
    >> files. I wrote an introductory API reference book and sent it to Brian,
    >> it's possible he's uploaded it to CVS by now.

    > Seems like lotsa internet combing-through ;-)

    Alternatively, I could probably send you the necessary files if you email
    me privately.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex