C(++) IDE for OS/2? - OS2

This is a discussion on C(++) IDE for OS/2? - OS2 ; Hi, I'm looking for a C / C++ - IDE for OS/2. Well, I know there is OpenWatcom for OS/2 for free. However, I looked at it but it "feels" quite outdated to me. Don't get me wrong: When I ...

  1. C(++) IDE for OS/2?

    Hi,

    I'm looking for a C / C++ - IDE for OS/2. Well, I know there is OpenWatcom
    for OS/2 for free. However, I looked at it but it "feels" quite outdated to
    me. Don't get me wrong: When I learned C ~15 Years ago I would have been
    glad if I had an IDE like OpenWatcom.

    However, I did Java for the last several Years, use Netbeans and Eclipse -
    and -obviously- turned into a wimp: I like the Syntax-Highlighting (OK,
    this can partially be done using EPM), Parameter-Info (i.e. display what
    Parameters are required), show all usages of methods (ok, functions in C)
    and so on... Those who know Elcipse / Netbeans know what I miss from
    OpenWatcom.

    Now, is there an IDE for OS/2 that comes close to my wimp-wishes? Would be
    great if someone could give me a few hints...

    MTIA! Cheers,
    _ralf_

  2. Re: C(++) IDE for OS/2?

    Question is, do you expect to get something for free or buy it ?
    VAC 3.x comes with an IDE (Integrated WorkFrame: IWF) but you have to buy
    it. Since it's not sold anymore, you have to look at Ebay and the like. But
    since most people move away from OS/2 that shouldn't be too difficult.
    While the IDE is a bit crappy, the editor that comes with VAC 3.x (lxpm) is
    pretty good when it comes to syntax highlighting, macro support etc.
    Basically you could extend it ad infinitum using macros written in REXX or
    even DLLs (that need to export defined entry points).
    No, the editor does not show parameter info or structures but as I said you
    could even program that yourself.

    Lars

    "Ralf Folkerts" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a C / C++ - IDE for OS/2. Well, I know there is OpenWatcom
    > for OS/2 for free. However, I looked at it but it "feels" quite outdated
    > me. Don't get me wrong: When I learned C ~15 Years ago I would have been
    > glad if I had an IDE like OpenWatcom.
    >
    > However, I did Java for the last several Years, use Netbeans and Eclipse -
    > and -obviously- turned into a wimp: I like the Syntax-Highlighting (OK,
    > this can partially be done using EPM), Parameter-Info (i.e. display what
    > Parameters are required), show all usages of methods (ok, functions in C)
    > and so on... Those who know Elcipse / Netbeans know what I miss from
    > OpenWatcom.
    >
    > Now, is there an IDE for OS/2 that comes close to my wimp-wishes? Would be
    > great if someone could give me a few hints...
    >
    > MTIA! Cheers,
    > _ralf_

  3. Re: C(++) IDE for OS/2?

    Lars Erdmann wrote:

    Hi Lars,

    thank you very much for your hint! Of course it needn't be free; however, it
    should be reasoably priced. So I'll check your eBay-Recommendation!

    Thanks again!
    Cheers,
    _ralf_

    > Question is, do you expect to get something for free or buy it ?
    > VAC 3.x comes with an IDE (Integrated WorkFrame: IWF) but you have to buy
    > it. Since it's not sold anymore, you have to look at Ebay and the like.
    > But since most people move away from OS/2 that shouldn't be too difficult.
    > While the IDE is a bit crappy, the editor that comes with VAC 3.x (lxpm)
    > is pretty good when it comes to syntax highlighting, macro support etc.
    > Basically you could extend it ad infinitum using macros written in REXX or
    > even DLLs (that need to export defined entry points).
    > No, the editor does not show parameter info or structures but as I said
    > you could even program that yourself.
    >
    > Lars
    >
    > "Ralf Folkerts" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm looking for a C / C++ - IDE for OS/2. Well, I know there is
    >> OpenWatcom for OS/2 for free. However, I looked at it but it "feels"
    >> quite outdated to
    >> me. Don't get me wrong: When I learned C ~15 Years ago I would have been
    >> glad if I had an IDE like OpenWatcom.
    >>
    >> However, I did Java for the last several Years, use Netbeans and Eclipse
    >> - and -obviously- turned into a wimp: I like the Syntax-Highlighting (OK,
    >> this can partially be done using EPM), Parameter-Info (i.e. display what
    >> Parameters are required), show all usages of methods (ok, functions in C)
    >> and so on... Those who know Elcipse / Netbeans know what I miss from
    >> OpenWatcom.
    >>
    >> Now, is there an IDE for OS/2 that comes close to my wimp-wishes? Would
    >> be great if someone could give me a few hints...
    >>
    >> MTIA! Cheers,
    >> _ralf_

  4. Re: C(++) IDE for OS/2?

    I know there's been a lot of bad writeups on VACPP V4, and some good
    ones on V3.x. I struggled to get anything workable with V4, but I stuck
    at it and can say I have succeded in writing a big database application
    which is nearly complete. I've learnt how to get around all the bugs
    and can report I'm very happy with it. If you ever manage to get a hold
    of a copy, I would be happy to point out the traps and work-arounds.
    I've logged them in a small help file which I can send to anyone
    interested.

  5. Re: C(++) IDE for OS/2?

    In <1132012350.113440.314650@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>, on 11/14/2005
    at 03:52 PM, "vieraci" said:

    >report I'm very happy with it. If you ever manage to get a hold of a
    >copy, I would be happy to point out the traps and work-arounds. I've
    >logged them in a small help file which I can send to anyone interested.

    Why don't you post them to the netlabs wiki or something like that?

    Regards,

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 2.67 #10183
    Warp4.something/14.100c_W4 www.scoug.com irc.fyrelizard.com #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)

  6. Re: C(++) IDE for OS/2?

    At that very moment, Ralf Folkerts turned to comp.os.os2.programmer.misc
    and said
    > Now, is there an IDE for OS/2 that comes close to my wimp-wishes? Would be
    > great if someone could give me a few hints...

    I don't think there is any OS/2 IDE that gives you all of that,
    especially the code-insight type stuff (which I agree is quite useful).
    With the possible exception of VAC++ v4, which as Vieracci reports many
    people hated as it introduced a raft of bold new approaches with the
    typical IBM lack of polish or consideration of existing tools...

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

  7. Re: C(++) IDE for OS/2?

    There is a new ide in watcom but it has not been ported to OS/2 any takers,

    adrian

    Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    > At that very moment, Ralf Folkerts turned to comp.os.os2.programmer.misc
    > and said
    >
    >>Now, is there an IDE for OS/2 that comes close to my wimp-wishes? Would be
    >>great if someone could give me a few hints...

    > I don't think there is any OS/2 IDE that gives you all of that,
    > especially the code-insight type stuff (which I agree is quite useful).
    > With the possible exception of VAC++ v4, which as Vieracci reports many
    > people hated as it introduced a raft of bold new approaches with the
    > typical IBM lack of polish or consideration of existing tools...

  8. Re: C(++) IDE for OS/2?

    > There is a new ide in watcom but it has not been ported to OS/2 any takers,

    IT'S CALLED VIPER and seems really cool.....
    adrian

    > adrian
    >
    > Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >
    >>At that very moment, Ralf Folkerts turned to comp.os.os2.programmer.misc
    >>and said
    >>

    >>>Now, is there an IDE for OS/2 that comes close to my wimp-wishes? Would be
    >>>great if someone could give me a few hints...

    >>I don't think there is any OS/2 IDE that gives you all of that,
    >>especially the code-insight type stuff (which I agree is quite useful).
    >>With the possible exception of VAC++ v4, which as Vieracci reports many
    >>people hated as it introduced a raft of bold new approaches with the
    >>typical IBM lack of polish or consideration of existing tools...

  9. Re: C(++) IDE for OS/2?

    Aaron Lawrence wrote:

    Hi Aaron,

    >> Now, is there an IDE for OS/2 that comes close to my wimp-wishes? Would
    >> be great if someone could give me a few hints...

    > I don't think there is any OS/2 IDE that gives you all of that,
    > especially the code-insight type stuff (which I agree is quite useful).
    > With the possible exception of VAC++ v4, which as Vieracci reports many
    > people hated as it introduced a raft of bold new approaches with the
    > typical IBM lack of polish or consideration of existing tools...

    ah, thanks for the hint! Well, I managed to get a VAC++ Version 4 (although
    it didn't arrive yet). While Lars recommended Ver. 3 I found an Auction at
    eB* for a VAC++ Version 4 and thought that 4 might be better than 3 ;-)

    Well, now I'm more curious than before how it will look (and operate) like.
    I did use VA Java from the first Version on on OS/2 and was very satisfied
    with it's overall concepts - while many people didn't like it at all...

    Thanks for your hint!
    Cheers,
    _ralf_

  10. Re: C(++) IDE for OS/2?

    adrian suri wrote:

    Hi Adrian,

    >> There is a new ide in watcom but it has not been ported to OS/2 any
    >> takers,

    > IT'S CALLED VIPER and seems really cool.....
    > adrian
    >

    >> adrian
    >>
    >> Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >>
    >>>At that very moment, Ralf Folkerts turned to comp.os.os2.programmer.misc
    >>>and said

    >>>I don't think there is any OS/2 IDE that gives you all of that,
    >>>especially the code-insight type stuff (which I agree is quite useful).
    >>>With the possible exception of VAC++ v4, which as Vieracci reports many
    >>>people hated as it introduced a raft of bold new approaches with the
    >>>typical IBM lack of polish or consideration of existing tools...

    well, I built OpenWatcom 1.4 a while ago on eCS and found that
    VIPER-Directory which was almost empty for OS/2 but not for Windows. Was
    curious how it might look like but didn't check... Do you know if there is
    any progress for VIKING on OS/2?

    Thanks for poiting me at VIPER!
    Cheers,
    _ralf_

  11. Re: C(++) IDE for OS/2?

    vieraci wrote:

    Hi,

    > I know there's been a lot of bad writeups on VACPP V4, and some good
    > ones on V3.x. I struggled to get anything workable with V4, but I stuck
    > at it and can say I have succeded in writing a big database application
    > which is nearly complete. I've learnt how to get around all the bugs
    > and can report I'm very happy with it. If you ever manage to get a hold
    > of a copy, I would be happy to point out the traps and work-arounds.
    > I've logged them in a small help file which I can send to anyone
    > interested.

    well, I indeed got hold of a Copy (see my previous Post to Aaron) of VAC++
    4. Would be great if you could send the help-File (however, there is no
    need to hurry as I didn't receive VAC++ yet...

    Thanks for that offer and for the hint to VAC++ 4!

    Cheers,
    _ralf_

  12. Re: C(++) IDE for OS/2?

    adrian suri wrote:
    > There is a new ide in watcom but it has not been ported to OS/2 any takers,

    No, there isn't. The existing IDE is internally called 'viper'.

    A good editor with support for tagging etc. etc. is Visual SlickEdit,
    although OS/2 support had been dropped long ago. The last OS/2 version
    still works just fine though.

    I've never found an IDE that was really integrated without being
    constraining.

    Michal

  13. Re: C(++) IDE for OS/2?

    Yes I will. Not right now though, I need to revise it first.

  14. Re: C(++) IDE for OS/2?

    Excellent !
    If you send me your email addr to: vince at rock town (one word) com
    au(stralia) and I will quickly edit out the garbage from my help file
    an post it to you.

  15. Re: C(++) IDE for OS/2?

    Il giorno Mon, 14 Nov 2005 23:52:30 UTC, un Tizio di nome "vieraci"
    s'e' permesso di scrivere cosi':

    > I know there's been a lot of bad writeups on VACPP V4, and some good
    > ones on V3.x. I struggled to get anything workable with V4, but I stuck
    > at it and can say I have succeded in writing a big database application
    > which is nearly complete. I've learnt how to get around all the bugs
    > and can report I'm very happy with it. If you ever manage to get a hold
    > of a copy, I would be happy to point out the traps and work-arounds.
    > I've logged them in a small help file which I can send to anyone
    > interested.

    That sounds definitely interesting.
    Wuold you mind sending me a copy? I would like to translate it in
    Italian for our documentation project, www.ecomstation.it/pido2/.

    You can reach me at mentore "dot" siesto "at" libero "dot" it.
    Thanks a lot...

    --
    Mentore Siesto
    Team OS/2 Italia

  16. Re: C(++) IDE for OS/2?

    Hi Mentore

    > You can reach me at mentore "dot" siesto "at" libero "dot" it.

    hmmm...your email bounced back to me.
    Are you sure it's correct ?

  17. Re: C(++) IDE for OS/2?

    Il giorno Wed, 30 Nov 2005 03:02:26 UTC, un Tizio di nome "vieraci"
    s'e' permesso di scrivere cosi':

    > Hi Mentore
    >
    > > You can reach me at mentore "dot" siesto "at" libero "dot" it.

    > hmmm...your email bounced back to me.
    > Are you sure it's correct ?

    Sounds really strange... It works here.

    Ok, let's not bother anymore: mentore.siesto@libero.it

    and now, spammers are welcome :-( but it's a sacrifice for a good
    reason :-)
    Hope you will get to me.

    Mentore

    --