Counterpart to wpQueryConfirmations? - OS2

This is a discussion on Counterpart to wpQueryConfirmations? - OS2 ; Hi, *IS* there a counterpart to the WPS call wpQueryConfirmations? No there is not a wpSetConfirmations!! My WPS API book seems to be silent as the documentation in the toolkit. It seems really odd that these can only be set ...

  1. Counterpart to wpQueryConfirmations?

    Hi,

    *IS* there a counterpart to the WPS call wpQueryConfirmations? No there
    is not a wpSetConfirmations!! My WPS API book seems to be silent as the
    documentation in the toolkit. It seems really odd that these can only
    be set from the settings notebook (er, ok, how does the notebook manage
    to set them??)

    Enquiring minds want to know...

    Thanks,

    jeff

    write me at: jgaynor at jqhome dot net

  2. Re: Counterpart to wpQueryConfirmations?

    On 10 Feb 2005 11:26:24 -0800, spam@jqhome.net wrote:

    > *IS* there a counterpart to the WPS call wpQueryConfirmations?

    It seems not.

    > No there
    > is not a wpSetConfirmations!! My WPS API book seems to be silent as the
    > documentation in the toolkit. It seems really odd that these can only
    > be set from the settings notebook (er, ok, how does the notebook manage
    > to set them??)

    Presumably it just stores the setting directly to wherever (I guess it's
    an INI file setting, and I can't be bothered to check just now) without
    defining and calling a method to do it (which would have allowed you to
    hook in an override in a subclass).
    Unfortunately significant parts of the WPS appear to have been
    designed/implemented by people who didn't really fully understand what
    they were doing and why.
    The above is really weird, because the confirmations stuff seems to be
    system global and they've used an instance method. I'd have expected it
    to be a class method.
    So in short, it's a complete mess.

  3. Re: Counterpart to wpQueryConfirmations?

    Thanks Paul!

    OK, then does anyone know where these values are stored? I snooped
    through the ini files and found nothing.

    Also, docs and my manual say that these can be changed through the
    settings notebook. I didn't see anyplace to set these. ??! Is it
    possible these are class values and there is just an instance method
    for no good reason? This is getting stranger the more I look at it...
    There aren't even setup string values corresponding to these.

    -- jeff

  4. Re: Counterpart to wpQueryConfirmations?

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:35:23 UTC, spam@jqhome.net wrote:

    > OK, then does anyone know where these values are stored? I snooped
    > through the ini files and found nothing.
    >
    > Also, docs and my manual say that these can be changed through the
    > settings notebook. I didn't see anyplace to set these. ??! Is it
    > possible these are class values and there is just an instance method
    > for no good reason? This is getting stranger the more I look at it...
    > There aren't even setup string values corresponding to these.

    The data is stored in os2.ini under PM_ControlPanel (e.g. ConfirmDelete).
    The onlu place these items can be set is in System->Confirmations
    (or WorkplaceShell->Confirmations if you have XWP/eWP).

    As to why wpQueryConfirmations is an instance method of WPPbject,
    I can only speculate. It may simply be a matter of convenience:
    the method can be invoked on the object about to be deleted without
    the need to locate some specialized object or class first. The
    fact that the settings can only be changed in one location makes
    some sense. It's unlikely you'd set confirmations for specific
    objects (i.e. "warn me before I delete this particular file"),
    and probably undesirable to have a global setting available from
    every object.

    --
    == == almost usable email address: rich AT e-vertise.com == ==

    | New - Remote Workplace Server v0.60
    Rich Walsh | interact with the WPS from any program
    Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/rws/rws060.zip

  5. Re: Counterpart to wpQueryConfirmations?

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:35:23 UTC, spam@jqhome.net wrote:

    > Thanks Paul!
    >
    > OK, then does anyone know where these values are stored? I snooped
    > through the ini files and found nothing.
    >
    > Also, docs and my manual say that these can be changed through the
    > settings notebook. I didn't see anyplace to set these. ??! Is it
    > possible these are class values and there is just an instance method
    > for no good reason? This is getting stranger the more I look at it...
    > There aren't even setup string values corresponding to these.

    Not true. see below.

    Open the settings
    look on the page named symbol. (Folders have a subpage to assign
    another symbol to an open folder)

    The location of the file differs:
    on a program(file)object:
    - it can be bound to the .exe itself like any other resource
    - it can be in the same directoroy as the .exe having the same name -
    but .ico as extension
    on any object:
    - it can be in the EAs
    - it can be in the ini file.
    - it can be that of the program associated as the (default) one that
    should ber started.

    excerpt of WorplaceShjell programming Guide 4.52

    A program or Workplace Shell object would call the following methods
    to get information about an object's icons. A Workplace Shell object
    would override these methods to define its icons.

    ‚ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ“ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ—
    Method Name Description 
    €ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ‹
    wpQueryHandleFromContents Returns a handle to a known 
     system data type based on a 
     file's contents. This is an 
     abstract method; subclasses 
     that describe files for which 
     a system handle type exist 
     (such as WPIcon or WPBitmap) 
     should subclass this method. 
    €ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ‹
    wpQueryIconData Returns the information that 
     defines the object's icon. 
     This overrides the class 
     default icon defined by 
     wpclsQueryIconData. 
    €ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ‹
    wpclsQueryIconData Returns the information that 
     defines the class default 
     icon. This icon is associated 
     with every object of this 
     class. This icon can be 
     changed for an individual 
     object if: 
      
     o The object overrides 
      wpQueryIconData. 
     o The wpSetIconData method 
      is called. 
     o The wpSetup method is called
      with the ICONFILE or 
      ICONRESOURCE keyword, or if 
      the user edits the icon on 
      the General page of the 
      Settings notebook. 
      
     For a folder class, this is 
     the closed folder icon. 
    €ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ‹
    wpclsQueryIconDataN Returns the information that 
     defines the nth class default 
     animation icon. 
      
     Note: 
     This method is available only 
     for a folder class. It 
     defines the default open 
     folder icon for all objects 
     of this class. This icon can 
     be changed for an individual 
     object if wpSetup is called 
     with the ICONNFILE or 
     ICONNRESOURCE keyword, or if 
     the user edits the animation 
     icon on General page 2 of the 
     Settings notebook. 
    ·ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ΅ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ‰

    A program or Workplace Shell object would call the following methods
    to get information about an object's icons. These methods are not
    normally overridden by the object.

    ‚ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ“ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ—
    Method Name Description 
    €ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ‹
    wpQueryIcon Returns the handle of the 
     object's icon. 
    €ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ‹
    wpclsQueryIcon Returns the handle of the 
     class default icon. For a 
     folder class, this method 
     returns the handle of the 
     class' default closed folder 
     icon. 
    €ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ‹
    wpclsQueryIconN Returns the handle of the nth 
     class default animation icon. 
     This method is available only 
     for a folder class. It returns
     the handle of the class' 
     default open folder icon. 
    ·ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ΅ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ‰

    A program or Workplace Shell object would call the following methods
    to change the icon for an object. These methods are not normally
    overridden by the object.

    ‚ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ“ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ—
    Method Name Description 
    €ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ‹
    wpSetIcon Sets the handle of the 
     object's icon. This handle is 
     not saved in the persistent 
     data of the object, so it has 
     effect until the object goes 
     dormant. This method affects 
     all open views of the object. 
     For a folder object, wpSetIcon
     affects the icon displayed: 
      
     o In the title bar. 
     o On the Toolbar. 
     o On the General page 1 of 
      the Settings notebook. 
     o In all containers if the 
      object is closed. 
      If the object is open, all 
      containers continue to show 
      the object's animation 
      icon. 
    €ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ‹
    wpSetIconData Sets the definition for the 
     object's icon. This icon 
     definition is saved with the 
     persistent data of the object.
     It permanently changes the 
     object's icon. This method 
     automatically calls wpSetIcon 
     to update the visual display 
     of the object's icon. 
    €ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ‹
    wpSetProgIcon Sets the visible icon 
     associated with the program 
     reference or program file 
     object. This method is 
     available only for a program 
     reference or program file 
     object. 
    €ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ‹
    wpclsSetIcon Sets the handle of the default
     class icon. 
    €ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ‹
    wpclsSetIconData Sets the definition of the 
     default class icon. 
    ·ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ΅ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ ŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽŽ‰

    excerpt of WorkPlaceShell Programming Guide

    The following sample code fragment shows how to obtain the icon
    associated with the TUTORIAL.EXE file and shows how to display it as
    the user's tutorial application:

    #define INCL_WINWORKPLACE
    #include "os2.h"

    PSZ pszFileName = "tutorial.exe";
    PSZ pszMyTutorial = "mytutor.exe";

    HPOINTER hptr;
    ULONG rc;

    {
    hptr = WinLoadFileIcon(pszFileName, FALSE);
    if (hptr != NULL)
    {
    /* Obtain the icon associated with TUTORIAL.EXE for displaying
    purpose only */
    rc = WinSetFileIcon(pszMyTutorial, hptr);
    if (rc != NULL)
    {
    /* MYTUTOR.EXE now has the icon associated with TUTORIAL.EXE */
    }
    else
    {
    /* WinSetFileIcon failed */
    }
    }
    else
    {
    /* WinLoadFileIcon failed */
    }

  6. Re: Counterpart to wpQueryConfirmations?

    It's meant to work this way:

    override wpQueryConfirmations by calling the parent first, and then
    manipulate the return of the parent method.
    The idea is this: the WPS calls your object to find out how the
    confirmations for your object are supposed to be like (when your object
    wants that an action is confirmed or not). It might only do this once (per
    uptime of your system).
    They are then employed the way your object specified them on all calls that
    need to be
    confirmed (delete,rename, copy,move,create etc.), that is, it will then call
    the confirm method
    (for example: wpConfirmDelete) if a confirmation was specified in the return
    value from wpQueryConfirmations, otherwise it will not.

    (Basics: OS/2 Workplace Shell API by Mindy Pollack).

    Lars

    schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:1108063584.847282.281270@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > *IS* there a counterpart to the WPS call wpQueryConfirmations? No there
    > is not a wpSetConfirmations!! My WPS API book seems to be silent as the
    > documentation in the toolkit. It seems really odd that these can only
    > be set from the settings notebook (er, ok, how does the notebook manage
    > to set them??)
    >
    > Enquiring minds want to know...
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > jeff
    >
    > write me at: jgaynor at jqhome dot net

  7. Re: Counterpart to wpQueryConfirmations?

    Hi,

    in order to answer the questions that Paul has sent:

    1.) "wpclsSetSetting" for the WPSystem object sets the values that wpQueryConfirmations will return.
    If you look at the "confirmations" settings page, you will find them all.
    For wpclsSetSetting, look up "WPSystem" class and "wpclsSetSetting" in the WPS reference.

    2.) "OS/2 Workplace Shell API" is a book written by Mindy Pollack (publisher Whiley, 1995,
    ISBN:0-471-03872-5). Of course, it's out of print, but I bought a used copy. It's a bit outdated
    (for Warp3 and peculiarities for OS/2 2.1) but it explains a lot about the obscure and unknown stuff
    of WPS programming.

    Lars

    Lars Erdmann schrieb:
    > It's meant to work this way:
    >
    > override wpQueryConfirmations by calling the parent first, and then
    > manipulate the return of the parent method.
    > The idea is this: the WPS calls your object to find out how the
    > confirmations for your object are supposed to be like (when your object
    > wants that an action is confirmed or not). It might only do this once (per
    > uptime of your system).
    > They are then employed the way your object specified them on all calls that
    > need to be
    > confirmed (delete,rename, copy,move,create etc.), that is, it will then call
    > the confirm method
    > (for example: wpConfirmDelete) if a confirmation was specified in the return
    > value from wpQueryConfirmations, otherwise it will not.
    >
    > (Basics: OS/2 Workplace Shell API by Mindy Pollack).
    >
    > Lars
    >
    > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:1108063584.847282.281270@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>*IS* there a counterpart to the WPS call wpQueryConfirmations? No there
    >>is not a wpSetConfirmations!! My WPS API book seems to be silent as the
    >>documentation in the toolkit. It seems really odd that these can only
    >>be set from the settings notebook (er, ok, how does the notebook manage
    >>to set them??)
    >>
    >>Enquiring minds want to know...
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>jeff
    >>
    >>write me at: jgaynor at jqhome dot net

  8. Re: Counterpart to wpQueryConfirmations?

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:05:00 +0100, Lars Erdmann
    wrote:

    > in order to answer the questions that Paul has sent:
    >
    > 1.) "wpclsSetSetting" for the WPSystem object sets the values that wpQueryConfirmations will return.
    > If you look at the "confirmations" settings page, you will find them all.
    > For wpclsSetSetting, look up "WPSystem" class and "wpclsSetSetting" in the WPS reference.

    Ah heck, I'd forgotten all about this. I went into all that when I wrote
    my Sysset class (http://home.clara.net/orac/os2.htm#sysset).
    wpclsSetSetting and wpclsQuerySetting is something else that most class
    implementers just never understood, which is a real shame as it could be
    so powerful.

+ Reply to Thread