Opening files with extra national characters - OS2

This is a discussion on Opening files with extra national characters - OS2 ; Hi, I am trying to access files with extra-national characters (umlauts mostly). When I issue a DosOpen, I get consistently a file not found. Yes it is there. What's the trick? These same calls work fine against other files as ...

  1. Opening files with extra national characters

    Hi,

    I am trying to access files with extra-national characters (umlauts
    mostly). When I issue a DosOpen, I get consistently a file not found.
    Yes it is there. What's the trick? These same calls work fine against
    other files as long as there are no special characters in the name.

    Thanks in Advance,

    -- j

  2. Re: Opening files with extra national characters

    ], who wrote in article <1107467091.399713.79890@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to access files with extra-national characters (umlauts
    > mostly). When I issue a DosOpen, I get consistently a file not found.
    > Yes it is there. What's the trick? These same calls work fine against
    > other files as long as there are no special characters in the name.

    There is a bug/design-flaw in HPFS. File creator (the program which
    *made* the entry in the directory) and file "opener" should have the
    same codepage (and, in some situations, "country" - but it is not
    possible to change country without reboot).

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  3. Re: Opening files with extra national characters

    Thanks for your prompt reply. I have only ever used codepage 850. These
    characters exist there out at the far end (s-zet in German has ascii
    code 225, for instance). I can use all OS/2 apps with them just fine.

    Why can't *I* open them??

    Cheers,

    Jeff

  4. Re: Opening files with extra national characters

    spam@jqhome.net wrote:
    > Thanks for your prompt reply. I have only ever used codepage 850. These
    > characters exist there out at the far end (s-zet in German has ascii
    > code 225, for instance). I can use all OS/2 apps with them just fine.
    >
    > Why can't *I* open them??

    Different sort order. On HPFS, file names in a directory are sorted
    in the country/codepage sort order. If the file was created while
    different sort order was in effect compared when you're trying to
    open the file, it may not be found (because binary search fails).
    Whether the characters exist in any given codepage or not is
    irrelevant.

    Michal

  5. Re: Opening files with extra national characters

    Actually, I found that it was because there was a codepage issue.
    Seamlessly these names were being translated into the UTF-8 codepage
    (these were being gathered in Java and passed on to DosOpen). Once I
    fixed that, it all worked fine.

    The two suggestions I got were nicely thoughtful and led me to read up
    on both topics. I am happily wiser now.

    Cheers & Thanks!!!

    -- jeff

+ Reply to Thread