Re: Solutions for Blue Screen of Sudden Death? - OS2

This is a discussion on Re: Solutions for Blue Screen of Sudden Death? - OS2 ; Richard Steiner (rsteiner@visi.com) writes: > di540@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Maximo Lachman) spake unto us, saying: >> The HD will quickly slow down to about a tick every other second >>after the square clock mouse icon appears, that can still be moved >>around as ...

  1. Re: Solutions for Blue Screen of Sudden Death?

    Richard Steiner (rsteiner@visi.com) writes:
    > di540@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Maximo Lachman) spake unto us, saying:
    >> The HD will quickly slow down to about a tick every other second
    >>after the square clock mouse icon appears, that can still be moved
    >>around as usual.

    > Have you tried to press ALT-F1 during the first part of the OS/2 boot
    > sequence? That should take you to a selection screen where you can
    > select a CONFIG.SYS file which might bypass the problem.

    It boots to that screen, but I'd like an option to select a config.sys on a floppy.
    Instead, I had to modify the one on the boot partition via a floppy boot to only startup Workplace Shell.
    That bypassed the problem quite nicely.

    > Do you have "SET RESTARTOBJECTS=STARTUPFOLDERSONLY" somewhere in your
    > CONFIG.SYS file?

    Yes.
    > What does your SET AUTOSTART line look like in CONFIG.SYS?

    SET AUTOSTART=PROGRAMS,TASKLIST,FOLDERS,CONNECTIONS,WA RPCENTER

    >> What alternative shells can be tried out 1st on a mirrored boot
    >>partition, which only implement a subset of PMshell, esp. ones that
    >>don't have "workspace areas", need ini registries or use shadows, but
    >>can still do most of PMshell's jobs?

    > There's a replacement shell on Hobbes called PC/2 (not to be confused
    > with Process Commander):
    >
    > http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/wps/pc2v220.zip

    The major annoying aspect of PMshell is that it's not completely oriented towards actual objects in preference to virtual ones that don't exist anywhere except in its own little world, such as "shadows" or "work areas".
    For example, a notebook on such an object will rarely report the location of the original object.
    In RISC OS that info appears via a popup menu, or even the title bar.
    While I'd like to mimic that in PMshell, I'll settle for having that info in the notebook - is this possible?
    If not, can that be done using PC/2? Does it need to write to the OS/2 ini files?
    However, PMshell also relies on absolute path entries, so that if you move the boot partition to a new drive, it won't find things.
    Or worse, if the mirrored partition sees the original partition, the ini entries might get corrupted.
    Can PMshell be made to work using relative paths (starting at "\")?
    If not, how about PC/2?
    --
    "All geneticly engineered foods [even if sourced from Al Qaeda]
    are completely safe." - An official statement from the Homeland

  2. Re: Solutions for Blue Screen of Sudden Death?

    Bill "Wild Willy" Kredentser (wwilly@one.net) writes:
    >> ** Reply to message from di540@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Maximo Lachman) on 17 Jan 2005 20:27:36 GMT
    >> SET AUTOSTART=PROGRAMS,TASKLIST,FOLDERS,CONNECTIONS,WA RPCENTER

    > This was a known problem with the WARP 4 out of the box unmaintained. Its
    > symptom is exactly as you describe: the WPShell Desktop refuses to initialize
    > after CONFIG.SYS processing completes. I don't know if any Fix Pack ever
    > corrected it because I have always run like this:
    >
    >> SET AUTOSTART=PROGRAMS,TASKLIST,FOLDERS,CONNECTIONS

    [sarcasm]
    Thanks for pointing out that it's a known problem, so that I don't need to wonder if the disk crash caused it.
    [/sarcasm]
    > I have a shadow of the Warp Center in my Startup folder so any corrections of
    > this problem in Fix Packs have gone unnoticed by me. Besides, running like
    > this just makes more sense to me.
    >
    > Speaking of Fix Packs, I do believe the ones that were once free are still
    > available for free at the FTP site service.boulder.ibm.com somewhere. At
    > least, I think some of the more significant FPs are still there. I haven't
    > looked in a while. But then, I'm not the one with the system that doesn't run.
    > It's something YOU should verify.

    How nice: "blame the victim" of IBM bugware.

    > In any case, you should expect people to come right back at you about the multitude of problems solved by Fix Packs.

    I've tried it once, it didn't fix the problems of interest, & broke things.
    What's worse in order to apply the FP from the WarpUP! CD, I had to have Netscape 4+ installed.
    But in order to instal Netscape 4+ from it, I had to have a FP installed.
    So I had to waste time downloading the FP over a slow dial-up line, which negated the purpose of buying WarpUP!
    The FP scene has too many such problems.

    > You should also expect to apply some maintenance to your system.

    If IBM had released *just one* CD version that would instal a FP w/Warp 4, I wouldn't have needed to apply one.

    > I don't understand or agree with your antipathy towards WARP 4 maintenance.

    I'd rather apply the new 4.5 from IBM/ecs all in one go.

    > You do neither yourself nor anybody else
    > any good reporting problems on a configuration that is known to have had
    > problems, problems for which there are known solutions freely available.

    Eh? Trevor helped determine that PMshell was hung up on a corrupted FaxWorks file on an HPFS data partition.
    My 'reporting' may also help others who likewise jump to the wrong conclusion that it's a 4.00 bug.
    I jumped to that conclusion, as chkdsk seemed to have worked, and the OS partition was not involved.
    Now before I apologise to IBM, the ability to drag & drop the WarpCenter icon into the Startup Folder will have to work, and/or "Pickup" - there's no mouse-oriented way to put it there.
    Otherwise, I'll settle for a script or command line method to startup WarpCenter - how would one do that?

    > --
    > WW
    > Team OS/2 Cincinnati & PROUD OF IT!
    > Here's a futile dream: GO HABS GO!

    Try this instead: "THE HABS WILL RAHSE AGHIN!"

    --
    "All geneticly engineered foods [even if sourced from Al Qaeda]
    are completely safe." - An official statement from the Homeland
    Dep't of Food Safety, as made public via NPR on 25 August 2004.

  3. Re: Solutions for Blue Screen of Sudden Death?

    Maximo Lachman (di540@FreeNet.Carleton.CA) writes:
    > Bill "Wild Willy" Kredentser (wwilly@one.net) writes:
    >> You do neither yourself nor anybody else
    >> any good reporting problems on a configuration that is known to have had
    >> problems, problems for which there are known solutions freely available.

    > Eh? Trevor helped determine that PMshell was hung up on a corrupted FaxWorks file on an HPFS data partition.
    > My 'reporting' may also help others who likewise jump to the wrong conclusion that it's a 4.00 bug.
    > I jumped to that conclusion, as chkdsk seemed to have worked, and the OS partition was not involved.
    > Now before I apologise to IBM, the ability to drag & drop the WarpCenter icon into the Startup Folder will have to work, and/or "Pickup" - there's no mouse-oriented way to put it there.
    > Otherwise, I'll settle for a script or command line method to startup WarpCenter - how would one do that?

    I apologise to IBM two-fold for assuming that Warp 4 bugs were to blame for:
    1. PMshell hanging on startup due to a corrupt FxFile.som on a data partition;
    2. WarpCenter not being movable due to the attributes of os2*.ini being set to "read-only".
    I had done this in case the regular users enabled "save Desktop properties" in the Notebook.
    Yet in both cases "applying a Fix Pak" was not a solution.
    --
    "All geneticly engineered foods [even if sourced from Al Qaeda]
    are completely safe." - An official statement from the Homeland
    Dep't of Food Safety, as made public via NPR on 25 August 2004.

+ Reply to Thread