Installing Perl modules from CPAN - OS2

This is a discussion on Installing Perl modules from CPAN - OS2 ; How do I use Perl to download and install Perl modules from CPAN? I seem to be missing something called SSLeay for an application. How do I go about sorting out the problem?...

  1. Installing Perl modules from CPAN

    How do I use Perl to download and install Perl modules from CPAN?

    I seem to be missing something called SSLeay for an application. How do
    I go about sorting out the problem?

  2. Re: Installing Perl modules from CPAN

    On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 19:28:58 UTC, jp wrote:

    > How do I use Perl to download and install Perl modules from CPAN?
    >
    > I seem to be missing something called SSLeay for an application. How do
    > I go about sorting out the problem?

    Normally I do
    perl -MCPAN -e "install package::subpackage"
    From
    perl -MCPAN -e shell
    you can do
    i package::subpackage
    to get info. "i SSLeay" then tells me
    Module id = SSLeay
    DESCRIPTION Interface to SSLeay
    CPAN_USERID EAYNG (Eric Young )
    CPAN_VERSION undef
    CPAN_FILE Contact Author Eric Young
    DSLI_STATUS cdcO (pre-alpha,developer,C,object-oriented)
    INST_FILE (not installed)
    which probably means that it is not yet available as download on CPAN?!
    In that case try Google or wait for Ilya's answer. :-)
    --
    Greetings, Please reply in newsgroup, I rarely
    Peter. read emails to pweilba@gwdg.de...

  3. Re: Installing Perl modules from CPAN

    jp
    ], who wrote in article :
    > How do I use Perl to download and install Perl modules from CPAN?
    >
    > I seem to be missing something called SSLeay for an application. How do
    > I go about sorting out the problem?

    Get a standard binary distribution (which includes it)?

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

    P.S. Unless you actually mean SSLeay, and not Net::SSLeay. IIRC,
    this was the name ages ago...

    See the docs of Net::SSLeay then, it may have a way to mock

  4. Re: Installing Perl modules from CPAN

    Peter Weilbacher wrote:
    > On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 19:28:58 UTC, jp wrote:
    >

    >>How do I use Perl to download and install Perl modules from CPAN?
    >>
    >>I seem to be missing something called SSLeay for an application. How do
    >>I go about sorting out the problem?

    > Normally I do
    > perl -MCPAN -e "install package::subpackage"

    Looks like I must have configured the CPAN module wrongly which I only
    did yesterday. I get:-

    CPAN: Storable loaded ok
    Going to read g:/home/root/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
    Going to read g:/home/root/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
    Warning: Your
    g:/home/root/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz does not
    contain a Line-Count header.
    Please check the validity of the index file by comparing it to more
    than one CPAN mirror. I'll continue but problems seem likely to
    happen.
    Warning: Your
    g:/home/root/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz does not
    contain a Last-Updated header.
    Please check the validity of the index file by comparing it to more
    than one CPAN mirror. I'll continue but problems seem likely to
    happen.
    Going to read g:/home/root/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz
    Unrecognized character \xF0 at (eval 16) line 1.
    at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/CPAN.pm line 3406
    CPAN::Index::rd_modlist('CPAN::Index',
    'g:/home/root/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz') called at
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/CPAN.pm line 3129
    CPAN::Index::reload('CPAN::Index') called at
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/CPAN.pm line 675
    CPAN::exists('CPAN=HASH(0x4ea77c)', 'CPAN::Module', 'Net::SSLeay')
    called at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/CPAN.pm line 1842
    CPAN::Shell::expandany('CPAN::Shell', 'Net::SSLeay') called at
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/CPAN.pm line 2078
    CPAN::Shell::rematein('CPAN::Shell', 'install', 'Net::SSLeay') called
    at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/CPAN.pm line 2165
    CPAN::Shell::install('CPAN::Shell', 'Net::SSLeay') called at
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/CPAN.pm line 79
    CPAN::AUTOLOAD('Net::SSLeay') called at -e line 1

    When decompressed the 03modlist.data.gz mentioned above is not an ASCII
    file but still in a compressed format - the FILE utility reports it as:-

    03modlist.data: gzip compressed data, from Unix, max compression

    If I try decompressing this file I get:-

    gzip: 03modlist.data: unexpected end of file

    Do you have one of these files installed?

  5. Re: Installing Perl modules from CPAN

    jp wrote:
    > Peter Weilbacher wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 19:28:58 UTC, jp wrote:
    >>

    >>> How do I use Perl to download and install Perl modules from CPAN?
    >>>
    >>> I seem to be missing something called SSLeay for an application. How
    >>> do I go about sorting out the problem?

    >> Normally I do perl -MCPAN -e "install package::subpackage"

    > Looks like I must have configured the CPAN module wrongly which I only
    > did yesterday. I get:-
    >
    > CPAN: Storable loaded ok
    > Going to read g:/home/root/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
    > Going to read g:/home/root/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
    > Warning: Your
    > g:/home/root/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz does not
    > contain a Line-Count header.
    > Please check the validity of the index file by comparing it to more
    > than one CPAN mirror. I'll continue but problems seem likely to
    > happen.
    > Warning: Your
    > When decompressed the 03modlist.data.gz mentioned above is not an ASCII
    > file but still in a compressed format - the FILE utility reports it as:-
    >
    > 03modlist.data: gzip compressed data, from Unix, max compression
    >
    > If I try decompressing this file I get:-
    >
    > gzip: 03modlist.data: unexpected end of file
    >
    > Do you have one of these files installed?

    On further investigation the files are OK when I retrieve them manually
    using WGET. When CPAN.pm is used, it appears to add '-O -' to WGET's
    command line which seems to be the source of the corruption. I can't
    figure out where this comes from though...

+ Reply to Thread