openssl - OS2

This is a discussion on openssl - OS2 ; Has anyone managed to build the latest version of openssl (v0.9.7e) on OS/2?...

  1. openssl

    Has anyone managed to build the latest version of openssl (v0.9.7e) on OS/2?

  2. Re: openssl

    jp wrote:
    > Has anyone managed to build the latest version of openssl (v0.9.7e) on
    > OS/2?

    I got 0.9.7a to build without a problem. What errors are you getting
    with 0.9.7e?

    --
    jmm dash list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  3. Re: openssl

    On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 08:43:50 UTC, Jim Moe
    wrote:

    > jp wrote:
    > > Has anyone managed to build the latest version of openssl (v0.9.7e) on
    > > OS/2?

    > I got 0.9.7a to build without a problem. What errors are you getting
    > with 0.9.7e?

    I've built 0.9.7b through 0.9.7e if I remember correctly. Up until
    0.9.7d
    there were no problems, but for 0.9.7d and 0.9.7e I needed to make a
    small
    change to ./crypto/randfile.c. I don't remember off-hand exactly what
    did but it was trivial (for a C programmer). I think everything else
    went
    fine (gcc 2.8.1 and GNU Make 3.76.1).

    Nick S.

  4. Re: openssl

    Jim Moe wrote:

    > jp wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone managed to build the latest version of openssl (v0.9.7e)
    >> on OS/2?

    > I got 0.9.7a to build without a problem. What errors are you getting
    > with 0.9.7e?

    I got 0.9.7c built OK but 0.9.7e has unresolved errors in str[n]casecmp.

  5. Re: openssl

    Dr. Ash wrote:

    >On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 08:43:50 UTC, Jim Moe
    > wrote:
    >

    >>jp wrote:
    >>

    >>>Has anyone managed to build the latest version of openssl (v0.9.7e) on
    >>>OS/2?
    >>>

    >> I got 0.9.7a to build without a problem. What errors are you getting
    >>with 0.9.7e?
    >>

    >I've built 0.9.7b through 0.9.7e if I remember correctly. Up until
    >0.9.7d
    >there were no problems, but for 0.9.7d and 0.9.7e I needed to make a
    >small
    >change to ./crypto/randfile.c.

    That's probably ./crypto/rand/randfile.c ...

    >I don't remember off-hand exactly what
    >did but it was trivial (for a C programmer). I think everything else
    >went
    >fine (gcc 2.8.1 and GNU Make 3.76.1).

    It would be useful to know exactly what you changed and maybe get it
    changed in the distributed source...

    > Nick S.

  6. Re: openssl

    jp
    ], who wrote in article :

    > I got 0.9.7c built OK but 0.9.7e has unresolved errors in str[n]casecmp.

    -D strncasecmp=strnicmp -D strcasecmp=stricmp

    (IIRC th syntax of -D, drat!).

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  7. Re: openssl

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

    >[A complimentary Cc of this posting was sent to
    >jp
    >], who wrote in article :
    >

    >>I got 0.9.7c built OK but 0.9.7e has unresolved errors in str[n]casecmp.
    >>

    > -D strncasecmp=strnicmp -D strcasecmp=stricmp

    I already tried that but couldn't get it to work. I'll try again if you
    think it should work.

    >(IIRC th syntax of -D, drat!).
    >

    >Hope this helps,
    >Ilya

  8. Re: openssl

    On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 14:20:22 UTC, jp
    wrote:

    > >I've built 0.9.7b through 0.9.7e if I remember correctly. Up until
    > >0.9.7d
    > >there were no problems, but for 0.9.7d and 0.9.7e I needed to make a
    > >small
    > >change to ./crypto/randfile.c.
    > >

    > That's probably ./crypto/rand/randfile.c ...

    I checked todau and actually I think randfile.c was for 0.9.7d but for
    0.9.7e ./crypto/o_str.c is the problem -- I added
    "|| defined(OPENSSL_SYS_OS2)" to the lines beginning
    "#if defined(OPENSSL_SYS_VMS)". Or you may be able to use the fix
    suggested earlier by Ilya Z. if your C library has strnicmp() in it.

    > It would be useful to know exactly what you changed and maybe get it
    > changed in the distributed source...

    Is there a current maintainer for OpenSSL on OS/2?

    Nick S.

    --

  9. Re: openssl

    Dr. Ash wrote:
    > On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 14:20:22 UTC, jp
    > wrote:
    >

    >>>I've built 0.9.7b through 0.9.7e if I remember correctly. Up until
    >>>0.9.7d
    >>>there were no problems, but for 0.9.7d and 0.9.7e I needed to make a
    >>>small
    >>>change to ./crypto/randfile.c.
    >>>

    >>That's probably ./crypto/rand/randfile.c ...

    > I checked todau and actually I think randfile.c was for 0.9.7d but for
    > 0.9.7e ./crypto/o_str.c is the problem -- I added
    > "|| defined(OPENSSL_SYS_OS2)" to the lines beginning
    > "#if defined(OPENSSL_SYS_VMS)". Or you may be able to use the fix
    > suggested earlier by Ilya Z. if your C library has strnicmp() in it.

    I've seen several diifferent solutions to this problem, but what it
    really needs is a fix to the distributed source so that it works out of
    the box and we don't all have to invent our own solutions.

    >>It would be useful to know exactly what you changed and maybe get it
    >>changed in the distributed source...

    > Is there a current maintainer for OpenSSL on OS/2?

    Good question. I somehow doubt whether there is anyone at the moment,
    although I'd like to know who put in the OS/2 support in the first place.

    > Nick S.

  10. Re: openssl

    jp
    ], who wrote in article <8MednfjzrZFVjnzcRVnyuQ@eclipse.net.uk>:
    > I've seen several diifferent solutions to this problem, but what it
    > really needs is a fix to the distributed source so that it works out of
    > the box and we don't all have to invent our own solutions.

    This would be a check for strcasecmp() vs stricmp() in configure
    script (since there are many "incompatible" gcc compilers around).
    You may try picking one from Lynx source; it also had some
    strcasecmp() problems some time ago, but then fixed them.

    > > Is there a current maintainer for OpenSSL on OS/2?

    > Good question. I somehow doubt whether there is anyone at the moment,
    > although I'd like to know who put in the OS/2 support in the first place.

    I think it might have been me... But probably my build instructions
    were not copied to READMEs, so another (inferior?) build system was
    created too. I restored the original build system (with longer DLL
    names) some time ago; did not check whether it propagated to the
    distribution...

    [There is no need to have OS/2 support with good enough configure
    script. But IIRC, openssl uses some home-grown build system, so some
    support for dynamic linking was needed.]

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

+ Reply to Thread