Codepage again... - OS2

This is a discussion on Codepage again... - OS2 ; On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:57:35 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich wrote: > I start Mozilla, load a cyrillic page, select+COPY, and read the > content of the CF_TEXT of the clipboard. On 850,866 system the > content is "????? ???" (or ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 48 of 48

  1. Re: Codepage again...

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:57:35 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

    > I start Mozilla, load a cyrillic page, select+COPY, and read the
    > content of the CF_TEXT of the clipboard. On 850,866 system the
    > content is "????? ???" (or somesuch) (real question marks) if
    > process_CP of Mozilla is 850; the content is `expected Cyrillic in
    > cp866' if process_CP is 866.

    Ah, but Mozilla is no normal PM app. I am not sure that this experiment
    tells you anything about PM behaviour.
    --
    Greetings, Please reply in newsgroup, I rarely
    Peter. read emails to pweilba@gwdg.de...

  2. Re: Codepage again...

    Peter Weilbacher
    ], who wrote in article :
    > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:57:35 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    >
    > > I start Mozilla, load a cyrillic page, select+COPY, and read the
    > > content of the CF_TEXT of the clipboard. On 850,866 system the
    > > content is "????? ???" (or somesuch) (real question marks) if
    > > process_CP of Mozilla is 850; the content is `expected Cyrillic in
    > > cp866' if process_CP is 866.

    > Ah, but Mozilla is no normal PM app. I am not sure that this experiment
    > tells you anything about PM behaviour.

    Well, obviously, the second part (starting in secondary codepage)
    works with any other PM application as well; otherwise there would be
    little sense in having 2 codepages allowed. This shows that in this
    case there is no translation. Obviously, one can't check the first
    part (application switching its codepage) with "normal PM
    applications" ;-).

    Or maybe E.exe and EPM.exe are not "normal PM applications"?

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  3. Re: Codepage again...

    Sir:

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > [A complimentary Cc of this posting was NOT [per weedlist] sent to
    > Peter Weilbacher
    > ], who wrote in article :
    >
    >>On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:57:35 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    >>

    >>>I start Mozilla, load a cyrillic page, select+COPY, and read the
    >>>content of the CF_TEXT of the clipboard. On 850,866 system the
    >>>content is "????? ???" (or somesuch) (real question marks) if
    >>>process_CP of Mozilla is 850; the content is `expected Cyrillic in
    >>>cp866' if process_CP is 866.

    >>Ah, but Mozilla is no normal PM app. I am not sure that this experiment
    >>tells you anything about PM behaviour.

    > Well, obviously, the second part (starting in secondary codepage)
    > works with any other PM application as well; otherwise there would be
    > little sense in having 2 codepages allowed. This shows that in this
    > case there is no translation. Obviously, one can't check the first
    > part (application switching its codepage) with "normal PM
    > applications" ;-).
    >
    > Or maybe E.exe and EPM.exe are not "normal PM applications"?

    Before you go too far down this copy to clipboard and getting all ????,
    you should change the system default font to a font that has those
    glyphs in its repository. That is what those ???? are telling me, you
    need. Try drag and dropping Times New Roman MT30 onto the desktop.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: Codepage again...

    William L. Hartzell
    ], who wrote in article :
    > Before you go too far down this copy to clipboard and getting all ????,
    > you should change the system default font to a font that has those
    > glyphs in its repository. That is what those ???? are telling me, you
    > need. Try drag and dropping Times New Roman MT30 onto the desktop.

    ??? This is about *pasting plain text from clipboard*; or, looking
    deeper, about contents of CF_TEXT field of the clipboard. E.g., about
    pasting to a VIO window. How "glyphs" can come into play when one
    works with bytes escapes me...

    BTW, the character "usually" shown for for a missing glyph is often
    0x7F, not '?'. But this, of course, is per font. (Or do I mix it
    with what Uni* conversion API returns for a missing codepoint?)

    Yours,
    Ilya

  5. Re: Codepage again...

    Yuri Proniakin
    ], who wrote in article :
    > On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 23:39:16 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > > > this secondary layer as "index of primary layer + 2".

    > > I see. I would probably write it as "index of primary layer" | 0x2. ;-)

    > Unlike you, I, undoubtedly, shall use INC(index, 2) ;-)

    OUPS! One can go from 1 to 3 by "| 0x2", but not from 2 to 4!

    So my suggesting was completely bogus,
    Ilya

  6. SOLVED: Sys1744 in KEYB RU; and: missing Cyrillic glyphs

    Yuri Proniakin
    ], who wrote in article :

    > Try to compare you current KEYBOARD.DCP and KEYB.COM with original ones
    > (KEYBOARD.DCP is in the fixpak, KEYB - in the \OS2IMAGE\DISK_3\BUNDLE file,
    > if it is an old Warp 4, not a Convenience Package) - perhaps, something wrong
    > with them.
    > And didn't you forget to install the fixpak for device drivers? It contains
    > KBDBASE.SYS.

    This was it! KBDBASE.SYS was not served by UpdCD 2.42. When I
    manually changed it to the version from dd2,

    KEYB ru

    started to work again. Thanks!

    And another problem solved: Old microsoft-compatible fonts (Arial etc)
    without enough UGL glyphs: I removed all Arials and the Impact, then
    installed fonts from
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/multimedi...s/mswbfnts.zip. Now Firefox
    works with Cyrillic cites which set these fonts.

    Hmm, Now I also see

    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/windows/m...-1.2.1-os2.zip
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/multimedi...ontpack1_2.zip

    I wonder what is the difference...

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  7. Re: missing Cyrillic glyphs

    On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 21:52:24 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

    > And another problem solved: Old microsoft-compatible fonts (Arial etc)
    > without enough UGL glyphs: I removed all Arials and the Impact, then
    > installed fonts from
    > http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/multimedi...s/mswbfnts.zip. Now Firefox
    > works with Cyrillic cites which set these fonts.
    >
    > Hmm, Now I also see
    >
    > http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/windows/m...-1.2.1-os2.zip
    > http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/multimedi...ontpack1_2.zip
    >
    > I wonder what is the difference...

    msfontpack1_2.zip is just a set of some tools (wget, cabextract, FreeType),
    but does not contain any fonts. From its readme:
    "This package contain all tool and scripts needed to download and install M$
    core TTF fonts on OS/2."

    msfonts-1.2.1-os2.zip is a superset of mswbfnts.zip (and fonts in
    mswbfnts.zip are older).

    --
    Yuri Proniakin

  8. Re: Codepage again...

    Suddenly, Yuri Proniakin sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > As I wrote to Ilya, KEYB changes keyboard layout for text mode
    > sessions via IoCtl, and then changes layout for PM programs by
    > calling of WinSetKbdLayout.
    > Will WinSetKbdLayout work in your program without IoCtl prior it?

    I don't know?

    I don't really follow what KEYB does, but it does specifically say it
    has to be used in a full screen command prompt... Hardly sounds
    desirable for PM.

    Erm, so basically I don't know what to do and neither does anyone else,
    so I think I will take the feature out.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and