External MP3-player file management utility - OS2

This is a discussion on External MP3-player file management utility - OS2 ; I've written a MP3 file management utility in REXX, in order to upload MP3 files to my portable MP3 player. My typical C apps don't go much further than using an API, saying "Hello, world!", and replacing some REXX file-I/O ...

  1. External MP3-player file management utility

    I've written a MP3 file management utility in REXX, in order to
    upload MP3 files to my portable MP3 player.

    My typical C apps don't go much further than using an API, saying
    "Hello, world!", and replacing some REXX file-I/O when speed is a
    problem. Having said that, it wouldn't kill me if this utility
    gets a PM UI, perhaps with a REXX back- and frontend (avoiding
    C, obviously). I may have 'programmed' a TODOLIST-example using
    VAC++'s Visual Builder, but I fear that was a dead app (type
    what you want, but I don't have a clue how to save the data one
    entered).

    Anyway, things that come to mind are general settings (e.g. just
    search MP3 files in the directory C:\MP3, exclude files < 1Mb and
    > 10 Mb, translate long file names to FAT, save file selections,

    fill the drive with smaller files if the last one is too large),
    and settings per MP3 file (e.g. when randomly filling the MP3
    player always include/select this file), and so on.

    Given the above, which (VAC++ 3.08) example(s) is/are a good
    starting point? I can read C, but I don't want to 'waste' a lot
    of timing discovering that I have to take care of WM_*.*'s. I
    can perhaps copy (and understand) a WM_QUIT-part, but don't
    expect me to like do the right thing with e.g. WM_EXCEPTION's.
    No books please, examples or some other source would be fine.
    It doesn't have to look great, first I want something finished
    to work. Fly-over help is nice, ejecting the drive after the
    upload too, but I'll save that for v1.99.

    TIA!

    ---

  2. Re: External MP3-player file management utility

    On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 12:05 +0000, ML wrote:
    > I've written a MP3 file management utility in REXX, in order to
    > upload MP3 files to my portable MP3 player.
    >
    > My typical C apps don't go much further than using an API, saying
    > "Hello, world!", and replacing some REXX file-I/O when speed is a
    > problem. Having said that, it wouldn't kill me if this utility
    > gets a PM UI,

    Why not stay with REXX? Have a look at Dr. Dialog, a package for writing
    GUI's in REXX:
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/dev/rexx/drdialog.zip

    There's also some fixes for it in the same directory on hobbes. Don't
    have any experience with it myself, but I think it should be able to do
    what you want.

    Other options are of course WX/Rexx and VisPro/Rexx if you can find any
    of those packages around. (Commercial and discontinued both of them
    iirc.)

    Take Care!
    --
    Harald Eilertsen
    http://anduin.net/~haraldei

  3. Re: External MP3-player file management utility

    Suddenly, ML sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > C, obviously). I may have 'programmed' a TODOLIST-example using
    > VAC++'s Visual Builder, but I fear that was a dead app (type
    > what you want, but I don't have a clue how to save the data one
    > entered).

    While VAC++ Visual Builder is "interesting" I personally wouldn't
    recommend using it. It's too unusual and the only real apps I have seen
    with it were unmaintainable. YMMV.

    Using the Open Class Libraries directly though, seems reasonable.

    Then again, these days you might be better using one of the open source
    cross platform toolkits like wxWindows.

    If I had my druthers, I would say use Sibyl, however it's hard to argue
    for that without a way to obtain it in a good working form.

    Dr Dialog should do...

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

  4. Re: External MP3-player file management utility

    >> I've written a MP3 file management utility in REXX, in order to
    >> upload MP3 files to my portable MP3 player.

    >> My typical C apps don't go much further than using an API, saying
    >> "Hello, world!", and replacing some REXX file-I/O when speed is a
    >> problem. Having said that, it wouldn't kill me if this utility
    >> gets a PM UI,

    > Why not stay with REXX?

    REXX will do, I'll probably stay with REXX because writing am PM app
    doesn't seem to be straight forward enough (for me), but I was hoping
    to find a kind of stepping stone for another app I'ld like to write,
    a stock-related app which coveres *.*. I know enough about *.*, but
    the other half is the problem. A lot of that app already exists, but
    I'm looking at REXX-generated output, e.g. HTML pages, instead of me
    looking at a fast, 'real' app. :-(

    > Have a look at Dr. Dialog, a package for writing GUI's in REXX:
    > http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/dev/rexx/drdialog.zip

    Hm. I'll use my REXX ugly-mode UI. The MP3 app now does just what
    I want it to do. After glorifying that, I may consider 'porting'
    it to the GUI apps you mentioned. Anyway, thanks for the input!

    ---

  5. Re: External MP3-player file management utility

    > While VAC++ Visual Builder is "interesting" I personally wouldn't
    > recommend using it. It's too unusual and the only real apps I have
    > seen with it were unmaintainable. YMMV.

    Something I noticed earlier, forgetting my lack of of C(++) knowledge
    and lack of PM experience, is the fact there doesn't seem to be a 'part
    library'. Another failing 'concept' perhaps. And the famous 'steep
    learning curve', of course. I've done some assembly, I'ld like to be
    able to write 'real' apps, but it wouldn't work if I have to learn
    200 new things for a single project (it will probaly never become a
    finished app then, I fear).

    > If I had my druthers, I would say use Sibyl, however it's hard
    > to argue for that without a way to obtain it in a good working
    > form.

    > Dr Dialog should do...

    Hm/2, REXX -> REXX UI -> REXX GUI -> SpeedPascal GUI -> C GUI.

    ---

+ Reply to Thread