XFree86 4.3.0 applications running under HobX11 - OS2

This is a discussion on XFree86 4.3.0 applications running under HobX11 - OS2 ; I desperately want to get up a legitimate xterm running on OS/2 so I can test something out properly. I am able to get just about any X application that came with XFree86 to run under HobX11 with no problem ...

  1. XFree86 4.3.0 applications running under HobX11

    I desperately want to get up a legitimate xterm running on OS/2 so I can
    test something out properly. I am able to get just about any X
    application that came with XFree86 to run under HobX11 with no problem
    except xterm. The window managers, xeyes, xlogo, the font selection
    widget... they all work fine. I just can't launch any xterms for some
    reason. What's worse is that there's no indication of why they failed
    to run. It just starts up and immediately exits with no error message.
    I tried piping stdout and stderr and they are both empty. Does anyone
    have any ideas how I can get some clues as to what's going wrong? I
    have the feeling it has something to do with attempting to launch the
    shell inside of the xterm, but I have no idea what is going wrong. I
    tried using the -e switch and pointing directly to the shell but it
    didn't help. Any help would be appreciated.

  2. Re: XFree86 4.3.0 applications running under HobX11

    Marty wrote:

    > I desperately want to get up a legitimate xterm running on OS/2 so I
    > can test something out properly. I am able to get just about any X
    > application that came with XFree86 to run under HobX11 with no problem
    > except xterm.

    Is there any reason you can't run an XTERM under XFree86?

  3. Re: XFree86 4.3.0 applications running under HobX11

    jp wrote:
    > Marty wrote:
    >
    >> I desperately want to get up a legitimate xterm running on OS/2 so I
    >> can test something out properly. I am able to get just about any X
    >> application that came with XFree86 to run under HobX11 with no problem
    >> except xterm.

    > Is there any reason you can't run an XTERM under XFree86?

    Yup. It won't start. Clicks full screen and immediately back.
    Probably unsupported or misconfigured video card or something.
    Shouldn't make a difference which X server I use though. It's not that
    part that is presenting the problem.

  4. Re: XFree86 4.3.0 applications running under HobX11

    Marty wrote:

    > jp wrote:
    >
    >> Marty wrote:
    >>
    >>> I desperately want to get up a legitimate xterm running on OS/2 so I
    >>> can test something out properly. I am able to get just about any X
    >>> application that came with XFree86 to run under HobX11 with no
    >>> problem except xterm.

    >> Is there any reason you can't run an XTERM under XFree86?

    > Yup. It won't start. Clicks full screen and immediately back.
    > Probably unsupported or misconfigured video card or something.
    > Shouldn't make a difference which X server I use though. It's not
    > that part that is presenting the problem.

    Have you tried XFree86 v4.4.0 ? You are more likely to get support for
    XFree86OS/2 than Hoblink. There is an XFree86OS/2 mailing list.

  5. Re: XFree86 4.3.0 applications running under HobX11

    jp wrote:
    >> Yup. It won't start. Clicks full screen and immediately back.
    >> Probably unsupported or misconfigured video card or something.
    >> Shouldn't make a difference which X server I use though. It's not
    >> that part that is presenting the problem.
    >>

    > Have you tried XFree86 v4.4.0 ? You are more likely to get support for
    > XFree86OS/2 than Hoblink. There is an XFree86OS/2 mailing list.

    Truth be known, I'm not really interested in running the X server at
    all. I just want to see how a console based application runs in a more
    standardized type of console emulation environment than CMD's
    implementation of ANSI. CMD's ANSI's absolute cursor positioning seems
    to be a destructive operation in some cases. Haven't nailed down the
    cases yet, but it happens enough to make a console app of mine mostly
    unusable.

    But in any case, the fact that I can run XEdit and other X apps that
    came with XFree86 in HobX11 tells me that it's not HobX11 that is the
    problem. There's something specific to xterm that isn't working.

  6. Re: XFree86 4.3.0 applications running under HobX11

    Marty wrote:
    > I desperately want to get up a legitimate xterm running on OS/2 so I can
    > test something out properly. I am able to get just about any X
    > application that came with XFree86 to run under HobX11 with no problem
    > except xterm. The window managers, xeyes, xlogo, the font selection
    > widget... they all work fine. I just can't launch any xterms for some
    > reason. What's worse is that there's no indication of why they failed
    > to run. It just starts up and immediately exits with no error message.
    > I tried piping stdout and stderr and they are both empty. Does anyone
    > have any ideas how I can get some clues as to what's going wrong? I
    > have the feeling it has something to do with attempting to launch the
    > shell inside of the xterm, but I have no idea what is going wrong. I
    > tried using the -e switch and pointing directly to the shell but it
    > didn't help. Any help would be appreciated.

    Do you have the xf86sup.sys driver installed?

    Holger

  7. Re: XFree86 4.3.0 applications running under HobX11

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:57:18 -0800, Marty wrote:

    :>jp wrote:
    :>>> Yup. It won't start. Clicks full screen and immediately back.
    :>>> Probably unsupported or misconfigured video card or something.
    :>>> Shouldn't make a difference which X server I use though. It's not
    :>>> that part that is presenting the problem.
    :>>>
    :>> Have you tried XFree86 v4.4.0 ? You are more likely to get support for
    :>> XFree86OS/2 than Hoblink. There is an XFree86OS/2 mailing list.
    :>
    :>Truth be known, I'm not really interested in running the X server at
    :>all. I just want to see how a console based application runs in a more
    :>standardized type of console emulation environment than CMD's
    :>implementation of ANSI. CMD's ANSI's absolute cursor positioning seems
    :>to be a destructive operation in some cases. Haven't nailed down the
    :>cases yet, but it happens enough to make a console app of mine mostly
    :>unusable.
    :>
    :>But in any case, the fact that I can run XEdit and other X apps that
    :>came with XFree86 in HobX11 tells me that it's not HobX11 that is the
    :>problem. There's something specific to xterm that isn't working.

    Have you tried running the syslogd server and see if any error messages are
    logged there? The one on Hobbes is better that the one coming with OS/2.

    Mat Nieuwenhoven

  8. Re: XFree86 4.3.0 applications running under HobX11

    Holger Veit wrote:
    > Marty wrote:
    >
    >> I desperately want to get up a legitimate xterm running on OS/2 so I
    >> can test something out properly. I am able to get just about any X
    >> application that came with XFree86 to run under HobX11 with no problem
    >> except xterm. The window managers, xeyes, xlogo, the font selection
    >> widget... they all work fine. I just can't launch any xterms for some
    >> reason. What's worse is that there's no indication of why they failed
    >> to run. It just starts up and immediately exits with no error
    >> message. I tried piping stdout and stderr and they are both empty.
    >> Does anyone have any ideas how I can get some clues as to what's going
    >> wrong? I have the feeling it has something to do with attempting to
    >> launch the shell inside of the xterm, but I have no idea what is going
    >> wrong. I tried using the -e switch and pointing directly to the shell
    >> but it didn't help. Any help would be appreciated.
    >>

    > Do you have the xf86sup.sys driver installed?

    Yup. I managed to find the error log that XFree86 was putting out.
    It's having trouble loading the modules "bitmap" and "pcidata". Then it
    just said "Unable to load required base modules, Exiting...". I see a
    libbitmap.a in \XFree86\lib\modules\fonts and libpcidata.a in
    \XFree86\lib\modules. What environment variable do I need to set for
    XFree86 to find them?

  9. Re: XFree86 4.3.0 applications running under HobX11

    Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:57:18 -0800, Marty wrote:
    >
    > :>jp wrote:
    > :>>> Yup. It won't start. Clicks full screen and immediately back.
    > :>>> Probably unsupported or misconfigured video card or something.
    > :>>> Shouldn't make a difference which X server I use though. It's not
    > :>>> that part that is presenting the problem.
    > :>>>
    > :>> Have you tried XFree86 v4.4.0 ? You are more likely to get support for
    > :>> XFree86OS/2 than Hoblink. There is an XFree86OS/2 mailing list.
    > :>
    > :>Truth be known, I'm not really interested in running the X server at
    > :>all. I just want to see how a console based application runs in a more
    > :>standardized type of console emulation environment than CMD's
    > :>implementation of ANSI. CMD's ANSI's absolute cursor positioning seems
    > :>to be a destructive operation in some cases. Haven't nailed down the
    > :>cases yet, but it happens enough to make a console app of mine mostly
    > :>unusable.
    > :>
    > :>But in any case, the fact that I can run XEdit and other X apps that
    > :>came with XFree86 in HobX11 tells me that it's not HobX11 that is the
    > :>problem. There's something specific to xterm that isn't working.
    >
    > Have you tried running the syslogd server and see if any error messages are
    > logged there? The one on Hobbes is better that the one coming with OS/2.

    I found the XFree86 error log, but I don't think xterm itself is talking
    to the logging daemon.

  10. Re: XFree86 4.3.0 applications running under HobX11

    Marty wrote:
    > Holger Veit wrote:
    >
    >> Marty wrote:
    >>
    >>> I desperately want to get up a legitimate xterm running on OS/2 so I
    >>> can test something out properly. I am able to get just about any X
    >>> application that came with XFree86 to run under HobX11 with no
    >>> problem except xterm. The window managers, xeyes, xlogo, the font
    >>> selection widget... they all work fine. I just can't launch any
    >>> xterms for some reason. What's worse is that there's no indication
    >>> of why they failed to run. It just starts up and immediately exits
    >>> with no error message. I tried piping stdout and stderr and they are
    >>> both empty. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get some clues as
    >>> to what's going wrong? I have the feeling it has something to do
    >>> with attempting to launch the shell inside of the xterm, but I have
    >>> no idea what is going wrong. I tried using the -e switch and
    >>> pointing directly to the shell but it didn't help. Any help would be
    >>> appreciated.
    >>>

    >> Do you have the xf86sup.sys driver installed?

    This was related to the xterm under HobLink problem. The driver contains
    necessary functions xterm relies on. Without it xterm will work neither
    on XFree86 nor on HobLink.

    > Yup. I managed to find the error log that XFree86 was putting out. It's
    > having trouble loading the modules "bitmap" and "pcidata". Then it just
    > said "Unable to load required base modules, Exiting...". I see a
    > libbitmap.a in \XFree86\lib\modules\fonts and libpcidata.a in
    > \XFree86\lib\modules. What environment variable do I need to set for
    > XFree86 to find them?

    Presence of them is not the only thing; the server must actively load
    them. They might be remainders from an old version, or corrupted. You
    don't need to set any specific environment variable, the X11ROOT entry
    is all that is needed to locate the remaining tree. You might, however,
    try to run startx from the same drive whether the whole XFree86 tree is
    located (if on D:, for instance, explicitly change to D: in the CMD
    window before running it.) There have been problems in the past to
    prepend the X11ROOT driver letter to some of the paths.

    Holger

  11. Re: XFree86 4.3.0 applications running under HobX11

    Holger Veit wrote:
    > Marty wrote:
    >
    >> Holger Veit wrote:

    >>> Do you have the xf86sup.sys driver installed?

    > This was related to the xterm under HobLink problem. The driver contains
    > necessary functions xterm relies on. Without it xterm will work neither
    > on XFree86 nor on HobLink.

    Ah. It never occurred to me that it would be needed to run under
    HobLink. I just tried it now that the driver is installed and OS/2 is
    telling me that the PTYP0 device is not ready. When I tell it to return
    the error code xterm says that it couldn't open this device and exits.
    How do I set up a virtual console (pseudo-TTY, right?) to satisfy it?

    >> Yup. I managed to find the error log that XFree86 was putting out.
    >> It's having trouble loading the modules "bitmap" and "pcidata". Then
    >> it just said "Unable to load required base modules, Exiting...". I
    >> see a libbitmap.a in \XFree86\lib\modules\fonts and libpcidata.a in
    >> \XFree86\lib\modules. What environment variable do I need to set for
    >> XFree86 to find them?
    >>

    > Presence of them is not the only thing; the server must actively load
    > them. They might be remainders from an old version, or corrupted. You
    > don't need to set any specific environment variable, the X11ROOT entry
    > is all that is needed to locate the remaining tree. You might, however,
    > try to run startx from the same drive whether the whole XFree86 tree is
    > located (if on D:, for instance, explicitly change to D: in the CMD
    > window before running it.) There have been problems in the past to
    > prepend the X11ROOT driver letter to some of the paths.

    I think I goofed up something in the environment of the particular shell
    I was running in. I got it working now. Unfortunately the thing I
    wanted to see in X didn't work the way I had planned, but X (and xterm
    within it) worked flawlessly. Thanks for your help and the hard work on
    this X implementation.

  12. Re: XFree86 4.3.0 applications running under HobX11

    Marty wrote:
    > Ah. It never occurred to me that it would be needed to run under
    > HobLink. I just tried it now that the driver is installed and OS/2 is
    > telling me that the PTYP0 device is not ready. When I tell it to return
    > the error code xterm says that it couldn't open this device and exits.
    > How do I set up a virtual console (pseudo-TTY, right?) to satisfy it?

    You might have hit a bug in EMX. Email me and I will send you a
    different emx.dll which you can try. If it works for you I will make it
    publicly available (after looking once more through it).

    Frank.

+ Reply to Thread