MLE and text scrolling - OS2

This is a discussion on MLE and text scrolling - OS2 ; I have a problem with an MLE and text scrolling. The field is defined with WS_VISIBLE | MLS_VSCROLL | MLS_BORDER it is one line deep. The help in the PM programmers guide & ref under WM_CHAR(MLE) says: "If the typing ...

  1. MLE and text scrolling

    I have a problem with an MLE and text scrolling. The field is defined
    with
    WS_VISIBLE | MLS_VSCROLL | MLS_BORDER

    it is one line deep.

    The help in the PM programmers guide & ref under WM_CHAR(MLE) says:

    "If the typing causes the cursor to go off the screen in any direction,
    the display is automatically scrolled. If word-wrap is on, text
    continues on a new line, otherwise, the screen is scrolled
    horizontally."

    This does not happen. I can happily type and nothing appears to
    happen, but hit the left arrow key and it jumps into view. Same with
    left/right arrow beyond what is visible. Cursor disappears until I hit
    the opposite arrow key and text jumps to the correct position.

    What am I missing?

    TIA

    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    NB Remove no-spam- for good email address

  2. Re: MLE and text scrolling

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:03:15 UTC "Dave Saville"
    wrote:

    > I have a problem with an MLE and text scrolling. The field is defined
    > with
    > WS_VISIBLE | MLS_VSCROLL | MLS_BORDER
    >
    > it is one line deep.
    >
    > The help in the PM programmers guide & ref under WM_CHAR(MLE) says:
    >
    > "If the typing causes the cursor to go off the screen in any direction,
    > the display is automatically scrolled. If word-wrap is on, text
    > continues on a new line, otherwise, the screen is scrolled
    > horizontally."
    >
    > This does not happen. I can happily type and nothing appears to
    > happen, but hit the left arrow key and it jumps into view. Same with
    > left/right arrow beyond what is visible. Cursor disappears until I hit
    > the opposite arrow key and text jumps to the correct position.
    >
    > What am I missing?

    What version of the libraries and headers are you using? CSET thru
    Visualage 3 had several problems with the MLE - even the last version
    shipped with VACPP 4 had scroll bar and focus change problems. Last
    time I tried, the libraries with the 4.5 toolkit (most current ones I
    have) were pretty good.

    --
    Will Honea

  3. Re: MLE and text scrolling

    On 17 Dec 2004 20:11:26 GMT, Will Honea wrote:

    >On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:03:15 UTC "Dave Saville"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have a problem with an MLE and text scrolling. The field is defined
    >> with
    >> WS_VISIBLE | MLS_VSCROLL | MLS_BORDER
    >>
    >> it is one line deep.
    >>
    >> The help in the PM programmers guide & ref under WM_CHAR(MLE) says:
    >>
    >> "If the typing causes the cursor to go off the screen in any direction,
    >> the display is automatically scrolled. If word-wrap is on, text
    >> continues on a new line, otherwise, the screen is scrolled
    >> horizontally."
    >>
    >> This does not happen. I can happily type and nothing appears to
    >> happen, but hit the left arrow key and it jumps into view. Same with
    >> left/right arrow beyond what is visible. Cursor disappears until I hit
    >> the opposite arrow key and text jumps to the correct position.
    >>
    >> What am I missing?

    >What version of the libraries and headers are you using? CSET thru
    >Visualage 3 had several problems with the MLE - even the last version
    >shipped with VACPP 4 had scroll bar and focus change problems. Last
    >time I tried, the libraries with the 4.5 toolkit (most current ones I
    >have) were pretty good.

    Sorry - Should have said - gcc 2.8.1 emx d

    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    NB Remove no-spam- for good email address

  4. Re: MLE and text scrolling

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:03:15 GMT, Dave Saville wrote:

    > I have a problem with an MLE and text scrolling. The field is defined
    > with
    > WS_VISIBLE | MLS_VSCROLL | MLS_BORDER
    >
    > it is one line deep.
    >
    > The help in the PM programmers guide & ref under WM_CHAR(MLE) says:
    >
    > "If the typing causes the cursor to go off the screen in any direction,
    > the display is automatically scrolled. If word-wrap is on, text
    > continues on a new line, otherwise, the screen is scrolled
    > horizontally."
    >
    > This does not happen. I can happily type and nothing appears to
    > happen, but hit the left arrow key and it jumps into view. Same with
    > left/right arrow beyond what is visible. Cursor disappears until I hit
    > the opposite arrow key and text jumps to the correct position.
    >
    > What am I missing?

    Probably nothing. PM is a bug ridden heap of ****, especially at the
    outer edges of its functionality.

  5. Re: MLE and text scrolling

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:03:15 UTC, "Dave Saville" wrote:

    > I have a problem with an MLE and text scrolling. The field is defined
    > with WS_VISIBLE | MLS_VSCROLL | MLS_BORDER it is one line deep.
    >
    > The help in the PM programmers guide & ref under WM_CHAR(MLE) says:
    > "If the typing causes the cursor to go off the screen in any direction,
    > the display is automatically scrolled. If word-wrap is on, text
    > continues on a new line, otherwise, the screen is scrolled
    > horizontally."
    >
    > This does not happen. I can happily type and nothing appears to
    > happen, but hit the left arrow key and it jumps into view. Same with
    > left/right arrow beyond what is visible. Cursor disappears until I hit
    > the opposite arrow key and text jumps to the correct position.
    >
    > What am I missing?

    When I first tried to duplicate this, I had no problem using e.exe
    shrunk to a single line with wordwrap off. Now it works as it
    should. However, I never had any problem when trying to edit a
    folder's icon text. The edit window is an MLE with no scrollbars
    and wordwrap off. One solution might be to get rid of the vertical
    scrollbar. Another might be to look for MLN_PIXHORZOVERFLOW and
    scroll the window yourself, perhaps using MLM_SETFIRSTCHAR.

    --
    == == almost usable email address: rws AT e-vertise.com == ==

    | New - Remote Workplace Server v0.60
    Rich Walsh | interact with the WPS from any program
    Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/rws/rws060.zip

  6. Re: MLE and text scrolling

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 03:06:49 GMT, Rich Walsh wrote:

    >When I first tried to duplicate this, I had no problem using e.exe
    >shrunk to a single line with wordwrap off. Now it works as it
    >should. However, I never had any problem when trying to edit a
    >folder's icon text. The edit window is an MLE with no scrollbars
    >and wordwrap off. One solution might be to get rid of the vertical
    >scrollbar. Another might be to look for MLN_PIXHORZOVERFLOW and
    >scroll the window yourself, perhaps using MLM_SETFIRSTCHAR.

    Hmm, I can't not have the vertical scrollbar and wrap is off. Time to
    turn on the stream debugger and see what signal gets sent when the
    cursor goes out of sight. Just in case it is *not* MLN_PIXHORZOVERFLOW
    :-)

    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    NB Remove no-spam- for good email address

  7. Re: MLE and text scrolling

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:21:21 GMT, Dave Saville wrote:

    >On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 03:06:49 GMT, Rich Walsh wrote:
    >
    >>When I first tried to duplicate this, I had no problem using e.exe
    >>shrunk to a single line with wordwrap off. Now it works as it
    >>should. However, I never had any problem when trying to edit a
    >>folder's icon text. The edit window is an MLE with no scrollbars
    >>and wordwrap off. One solution might be to get rid of the vertical
    >>scrollbar. Another might be to look for MLN_PIXHORZOVERFLOW and
    >>scroll the window yourself, perhaps using MLM_SETFIRSTCHAR.

    >Hmm, I can't not have the vertical scrollbar and wrap is off. Time to
    >turn on the stream debugger and see what signal gets sent when the
    >cursor goes out of sight. Just in case it is *not* MLN_PIXHORZOVERFLOW
    >:-)

    Turning off the vertical scrollbar does not fix the problem. How does
    MLN_PIXHORZOVERFLOW get raised? WM_CONTROL?

    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    NB Remove no-spam- for good email address

+ Reply to Thread