Large file i/o APIs >2GB? - OS2

This is a discussion on Large file i/o APIs >2GB? - OS2 ; Which APIs does OS/2 have, for working with files larger than 2GBytes? -- Leif Erik Larsen Author of Larsen Commander Download for Windows and OS/2 available at http://home.online.no/~leifel/lcmd/index.html...

  1. Large file i/o APIs >2GB?

    Which APIs does OS/2 have, for working with files larger than 2GBytes?

    --
    Leif Erik Larsen

    Author of Larsen Commander
    Download for Windows and OS/2 available at
    http://home.online.no/~leifel/lcmd/index.html

  2. Re: Large file i/o APIs >2GB?

    > Which APIs does OS/2 have, for working with files larger than
    > 2GBytes?

    DosOpenL(), for one. HTH.

    ---

  3. Re: Large file i/o APIs >2GB?

    ML wrote:
    > > Which APIs does OS/2 have, for working with files larger than
    > > 2GBytes?

    > DosOpenL(), for one. HTH.
    >
    > ---

    Those APIs is not defined in the OS/2 Toolkit headers that I have.
    In which OS/2 versions are they available? Are they part of
    Warp 4? What about eCS 1.0, 1.1, 1.2?

    --
    Leif Erik Larsen

    Author of Larsen Commander
    Download for Windows and OS/2 available at
    http://home.online.no/~leifel/lcmd/index.html

  4. Re: Large file i/o APIs >2GB?

    Leif Erik Larsen wrote:
    > ML wrote:
    >
    >> > Which APIs does OS/2 have, for working with files larger than
    >> > 2GBytes?

    >> DosOpenL(), for one. HTH.
    >>
    >> ---

    > Those APIs is not defined in the OS/2 Toolkit headers that I have.
    > In which OS/2 versions are they available? Are they part of
    > Warp 4? What about eCS 1.0, 1.1, 1.2?

    As far as I know they are only available on systems were LVM/JFS capable
    (only JFS can currently handle over 2G files on OS/2). WSEB, MCP's,
    ACP's, and eCS (was built from MCP). The OS/2 toolkit 4.5 (available I
    think with all but maybe WSEB) should have those headers.
    Andy

  5. Re: Large file i/o APIs >2GB?

    Hello Leif,

    On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 20:25:11 UTC, Leif Erik Larsen
    wrote:

    > > > Which APIs does OS/2 have, for working with files larger than
    > > > 2GBytes?

    > > DosOpenL(), for one. HTH.
    > >
    > > ---

    > Those APIs is not defined in the OS/2 Toolkit headers that I have.
    > In which OS/2 versions are they available? Are they part of
    > Warp 4? What about eCS 1.0, 1.1, 1.2?

    You need on of the 4.5x kernels, so any MCP/ACP level, or any eCS.

    I don't think it is available on Warp4, but it might have been added
    in one of the latest fixpacks (a bit unlikely though).

    There are quite a few API's that now have an 'L' counterpart,
    basically all that have filesizes as parameters, plus some of
    the associated datastructures.

    The filesize has changed from a ULONG to a LONGLONG.

    Summary, APIs:

    DosSetFileLocksL
    DosProtectSetFileLocksL
    DosCancelLockRequestL
    DosOpenL
    DosProtectOpenL
    DosSetFileSizeL
    DosProtectSetFileSizeL
    DosSetFilePtrL
    DosProtectSetFilePtrL
    DosListIOL

    Datastructures:

    FILESTATUS3L
    FILESTATUS4L

    Regards, JvW

    PS:
    The Toolkit 4.50 with all this is included on the eCS CDROM's,
    and the large-file API's are defined in the 'toolkit' as
    delivered with the OpenWatcom compiler as well (1.3)

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  6. Re: Large file i/o APIs >2GB?

    On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 13:50:53 -0700, Andy Willis
    wrote:

    >> Those APIs is not defined in the OS/2 Toolkit headers that I have.
    >> In which OS/2 versions are they available? Are they part of
    >> Warp 4? What about eCS 1.0, 1.1, 1.2?
    >>

    > As far as I know they are only available on systems were LVM/JFS capable
    > (only JFS can currently handle over 2G files on OS/2).

    And UDF.

    > WSEB, MCP's, ACP's, and eCS (was built from MCP).

    And Warp 4 since FP13.

  7. Re: Large file i/o APIs >2GB?

    "Jan van Wijk" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > You need on of the 4.5x kernels, so any MCP/ACP level, or any eCS.
    >
    > I don't think it is available on Warp4, but it might have been added
    > in one of the latest fixpacks (a bit unlikely though).

    They are available from Warp4 Fixpak13 on and also in all kernel fixes for
    Warp4 but as long as you don't have a filesystem (JFS,UDF) that supports
    file sizes => 2 GB they are of no use.
    Basically they just route calls (maybe they somehow split up calls so that
    each individual call is < 2GB so as to avoid any change in the IFS
    specification but I don't know) to the filesystem driver (IFS) and it's up
    to the filesystem driver to support those additional APIs.
    I wonder what happens if you use them for HPFS or FAT16,FAT32, at least they
    should work without returning an error ...

    Lars

    > There are quite a few API's that now have an 'L' counterpart,
    > basically all that have filesizes as parameters, plus some of
    > the associated datastructures.
    >
    > The filesize has changed from a ULONG to a LONGLONG.
    >
    > Summary, APIs:
    >
    > DosSetFileLocksL
    > DosProtectSetFileLocksL
    > DosCancelLockRequestL
    > DosOpenL
    > DosProtectOpenL
    > DosSetFileSizeL
    > DosProtectSetFileSizeL
    > DosSetFilePtrL
    > DosProtectSetFilePtrL
    > DosListIOL
    >
    > Datastructures:
    >
    > FILESTATUS3L
    > FILESTATUS4L
    >
    > Regards, JvW

  8. Re: Large file i/o APIs >2GB?

    On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 10:20:36 +0100, Lars Erdmann
    wrote:

    > I wonder what happens if you use them for HPFS or FAT16,FAT32, at least they
    > should work without returning an error ...

    I use them on HPFS and FAT and they work fine.

+ Reply to Thread