ISOFS - OS2

This is a discussion on ISOFS - OS2 ; On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:33:17 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe wrote: > Indeed. But if you want to attach N images at the same time, you could do > with an IFS, as long as you have N drive letters free. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 42 of 42

  1. Re: ISOFS

    wrote:

    > Indeed. But if you want to attach N images at the same time, you could do
    > with an IFS, as long as you have N drive letters free. They are created
    > and destroyed dynamically.
    > With a .SYS, you'd have to reserve N drive letters, whether you want to
    > use them all at any one particular time or not, which means they
    > wouldn't be available for anything else.

    Fair enough.

    > It seems odd to use a hardware driver to attach to something that isn't
    > hardware. I think the IFS interface is ideal for the task at hand, which
    > is probably why it was written like that in the first place.

    Of course it is. And this solution just uses the existing IFS..! As for
    using a hardware driver to attach to something that isn't
    hardware...well, pseudo devices are not uncommon.

    > I don't see any advantges with a SYS and I see lots of disadvantages.

    The advantage was simply to avoid having to fix ISOFS; to me, a block
    level access to the ISO file would be easier! But I agree that it
    doesn't fix any bugs there might be if CDFS.IFS. As for
    disadvantages...apart from the drive letter issue, I can't really see
    any.

    > > the latter is not particularly difficult.

    > I still don't know how.

    Sorry...you mean you don't know how the pseudo-hardware driver would
    work, or what? I've done two or three drivers with similar
    characteristics, but not on OS/2.

  2. Re: ISOFS

    On 21 Dec 2004 12:12:40 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

    >> > the latter is not particularly difficult.

    >> I still don't know how.

    > Sorry...you mean you don't know how the pseudo-hardware driver would
    > work, or what? I've done two or three drivers with similar
    > characteristics, but not on OS/2.

    I mean I wouldn't know how to start writing something to do what you
    describe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3