Source for latest PING - OS2

This is a discussion on Source for latest PING - OS2 ; Does anyone have a URL for the latest source for PING?...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Source for latest PING

  1. Source for latest PING

    Does anyone have a URL for the latest source for PING?

  2. Re: Source for latest PING

    Suddenly, jp sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > Does anyone have a URL for the latest source for PING?

    For OS/2??!
    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke

  3. Re: Source for latest PING

    Aaron Lawrence wrote:

    >Suddenly, jp sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    >
    >
    >>Does anyone have a URL for the latest source for PING?
    >>
    >>

    >For OS/2??!
    >
    >

    It will be for OS/2 when compiled :-)...

    I want some source from FreeBSD rather than IBM if that is what you are
    asking.

  4. Re: Source for latest PING

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:19:56 UTC, jp
    wrote:

    > Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >
    > >Suddenly, jp sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > >
    > >
    > >>Does anyone have a URL for the latest source for PING?
    > >>
    > >>

    > >For OS/2??!
    > >
    > >

    > It will be for OS/2 when compiled :-)...
    >
    > I want some source from FreeBSD rather than IBM if that is what you are
    > asking.


    Planning on building the entire application stack?

    --
    Lorne Sunley

  5. Re: Source for latest PING

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:54:41 UTC in comp.os.os2.programmer.misc, jp
    wrote:

    > Does anyone have a URL for the latest source for PING?


    Get yourself a Linux box and run rpm -qif against the executable you're
    interested in and get results like

    >trevor@trevor8:~> rpm -qif `which ping`
    >Name : iputils Relocations: /usr
    >Version : ss021109 Vendor: SuSE Linux AG,

    Nuernberg, Germany
    >Release : 147 Build Date: Tue 06 Apr 2004

    02:05:30 BST
    >Install date: Fri 10 Sep 2004 14:52:37 BST Build Host:

    g166.suse.de
    >Group : Productivity/Networking/Other Source RPM:

    iputils-ss021109-147.src.rpm
    >Size : 161252 License: GPL, BSD
    >Signature : DSA/SHA1, Tue 06 Apr 2004 02:08:48 BST, Key ID

    a84edae89c800aca
    >Packager : http://www.suse.de/feedback
    >URL : ftp://ftp.tux.org/people/alexey-kuznetsov/ip-routing
    >Summary : IPv4and IPv6 networking utilities
    >Description :
    >This package contains some small network tools for IPv4 and IPv6 like
    >rdisc, ping6, traceroute6, tracepath, and tracepath6.
    >
    >Authors:
    >--------
    > Alexey Kuznetsov
    >Distribution: SuSE Linux 9.1 (i586)


    I checked the ftp site mentioned in the URL line and it appears to have
    tar.gz packages for iputils but didn't download and check them.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  6. Re: Source for latest PING

    Lorne Sunley wrote:

    >On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:19:56 UTC, jp
    >wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >>Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>>Suddenly, jp sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Does anyone have a URL for the latest source for PING?
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>For OS/2??!
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >>It will be for OS/2 when compiled :-)...
    >>
    >>I want some source from FreeBSD rather than IBM if that is what you are
    >>asking.
    >>
    >>

    >
    >Planning on building the entire application stack?
    >
    >
    >

    Since TCP/IP is all based on BSD, then why not? Given that IBM have
    abandoned OS/2, withdrawn VACPP and not published their source code, the
    only option for keeping TCP/IP uptodate is to use gcc and the BSD
    source. I managed to build an older version of PING using BSD source
    without any changes using gcc 3.3.5 so building other apps might not be
    too onerous a task.

  7. Re: Source for latest PING

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    >On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:54:41 UTC in comp.os.os2.programmer.misc, jp
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >>Does anyone have a URL for the latest source for PING?
    >>
    >>

    >
    >Get yourself a Linux box and run rpm -qif against the executable you're
    >interested in and get results like
    >
    >
    >
    >>trevor@trevor8:~> rpm -qif `which ping`
    >>Name : iputils Relocations: /usr
    >>Version : ss021109 Vendor: SuSE Linux AG,
    >>
    >>

    >Nuernberg, Germany
    >
    >
    >>Release : 147 Build Date: Tue 06 Apr 2004
    >>
    >>

    >02:05:30 BST
    >
    >
    >>Install date: Fri 10 Sep 2004 14:52:37 BST Build Host:
    >>
    >>

    >g166.suse.de
    >
    >
    >>Group : Productivity/Networking/Other Source RPM:
    >>
    >>

    >iputils-ss021109-147.src.rpm
    >
    >
    >>Size : 161252 License: GPL, BSD
    >>Signature : DSA/SHA1, Tue 06 Apr 2004 02:08:48 BST, Key ID
    >>
    >>

    >a84edae89c800aca
    >
    >
    >>Packager : http://www.suse.de/feedback
    >>URL : ftp://ftp.tux.org/people/alexey-kuznetsov/ip-routing
    >>Summary : IPv4and IPv6 networking utilities
    >>Description :
    >>This package contains some small network tools for IPv4 and IPv6 like
    >>rdisc, ping6, traceroute6, tracepath, and tracepath6.
    >>
    >>Authors:
    >>--------
    >> Alexey Kuznetsov
    >>Distribution: SuSE Linux 9.1 (i586)
    >>
    >>

    >
    >I checked the ftp site mentioned in the URL line and it appears to have
    >tar.gz packages for iputils but didn't download and check them.
    >
    >
    >

    I just had a look and it appears to have some bastardised version of
    ping.c amended to build specifically on Linux. It appears to be quite
    old too.

    The most recent revision I've come across is here:-

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sbin/ping/


    and this is only six weeks old, although it won't build on OS/2,
    although v1.77 will.
    That one is available here:-

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cg...ype=text/plain

  8. Re: Source for latest PING

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:48:26 UTC, jp
    wrote:

    > Lorne Sunley wrote:
    >
    > >On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:19:56 UTC, jp
    > >wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >>Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>>Suddenly, jp sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>>Does anyone have a URL for the latest source for PING?
    > >>>>
    > >>>>
    > >>>>
    > >>>>
    > >>>For OS/2??!
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>It will be for OS/2 when compiled :-)...
    > >>
    > >>I want some source from FreeBSD rather than IBM if that is what you are
    > >>asking.
    > >>
    > >>

    > >
    > >Planning on building the entire application stack?
    > >
    > >
    > >

    > Since TCP/IP is all based on BSD, then why not? Given that IBM have
    > abandoned OS/2, withdrawn VACPP and not published their source code, the
    > only option for keeping TCP/IP uptodate is to use gcc and the BSD
    > source. I managed to build an older version of PING using BSD source
    > without any changes using gcc 3.3.5 so building other apps might not be
    > too onerous a task.


    That sounds like a really good idea. After the application stack, the
    actual network stack would be good. Then we could have a v6 stack as
    well.

    --
    Lorne Sunley

+ Reply to Thread