Looking for thoughts on Java and the WPS - OS2

This is a discussion on Looking for thoughts on Java and the WPS - OS2 ; Hi, Some months ago I started thinking about the WPS and Java and how to integrate them. I had to take a break for some time and can now come back to this. So far I have some utilities that ...

  1. Looking for thoughts on Java and the WPS

    Hi,

    Some months ago I started thinking about the WPS and Java and how to
    integrate them. I had to take a break for some time and can now come
    back to this. So far I have some utilities that run under Java and
    allow the user to manipulate the WPS (such as found in the REXX
    extensions, plus some others, like being able to shutdown the system
    or actually delete an object).

    I'm still intrigued by trying to integrate Java into the WPS. Let me
    explain why. There are many Java libraries available for things like
    audio, graphics and video formats and it would be a lot easier to make
    these work than port the corresponding C libraries to OS/2.

    The practical issues (thanks to all those that wrote) run as follows

    * WPS is only available to languages that can make DLLs. This rules
    out Java directly.

    * Maybe we could use DSOM instead. Unfortunately while there is a DSOM
    server nobody seems to have ever used it. In any case, the native WPS
    classes have no concept of DSOM or network protocols, so they can't
    use it.

    So here is the idea I have.

    -- Write a Java DSOM server. This runs in a JVM and communicates over
    TCP.

    -- Write a dummy generic WPS class to do the communication. To create
    a new WPS class you then register this as the DLL and all it does is
    delegate to the Java DSOM server.

    New extensions to the WPS could then be written. Replacing a WPS class
    would entail over-riding every method, but in theory you could
    gradually use this to replace the WPS with a largely Java version, if
    you like. (Not suggesting it, since that would be a huge coding
    effort, but I think the scope of my project would allow this).

    Any thoughts from folks who know more about this? I can handle the
    Java end of things just fine (I am a professional developer in Java),
    but WPS, SOM, DSOM and C are not my cup of tea, so I'm treating this
    as a learning experience.

    Cheers,

    Jeff

    If you want to write me, I'm really at jjgz@jqzhome.net. There are no
    z's in my address.

  2. Re: Looking for thoughts on Java and the WPS

    On 23 Nov 2004 09:06:34 -0800
    spam@jqhome.net (spam@jqhome.net) wrote:

    > So here is the idea I have.
    >
    > -- Write a Java DSOM server. This runs in a JVM and communicates over
    > TCP.
    >
    > -- Write a dummy generic WPS class to do the communication. To create
    > a new WPS class you then register this as the DLL and all it does is
    > delegate to the Java DSOM server.

    Why not take a look at RWS from Rich Walsh? Mentioned somewhere else in this group. Also this link may be helpful:

    http://e-vertise.com/rws/rws060.zip (290,844 bytes)

    All you would need then is a rather small jni-stub and some wrapper classes in java. This should be fairly easy to do.

    Don't know if this will let you write WPS classes in Java though, but it may be a start.

    Take Care!
    Harald!

+ Reply to Thread