EDM/2: reloaded! - OS2

This is a discussion on EDM/2: reloaded! - OS2 ; It's about fife years ago that EDM/2 (Electronic Developer Magazine/2) had its last issue, so it was about time to change that! edm2.com is hosted at netlabs.org for quite some time now so we finaly sat down and implemented something ...

  1. EDM/2: reloaded!

    It's about fife years ago that EDM/2 (Electronic Developer Magazine/2) had
    its last issue, so it was about time to change that!

    edm2.com is hosted at netlabs.org for quite some time now so we finaly sat
    down and implemented something new for you! EDM/2 is now done in a so called
    Wiki, which makes it possible for everyone to add or edit articles.

    The first article in the new magazine is "An introduction to SOM" by Yuri
    Prokushev!

    You are very welcome to contribute to the new EDM/2 magazine, we also have
    jobs for non-programmers, just check the "General Stuff" section on the main
    page. Every contribution is very welcome!

    Enjoy!

    Adrian Gschwend
    netlabs.org

    --
    Adrian Gschwend
    netlabs.org

    ktk@netlabs.org
    -------
    The OS/2 OpenSource Project:
    http://www.netlabs.org

  2. Re: EDM/2: reloaded!

    Adrian Gschwend wrote:
    > It's about fife years ago that EDM/2 (Electronic Developer Magazine/2) had
    > its last issue, so it was about time to change that!
    >
    > edm2.com is hosted at netlabs.org for quite some time now so we finaly sat
    > down and implemented something new for you! EDM/2 is now done in a so called
    > Wiki, which makes it possible for everyone to add or edit articles.
    >
    > The first article in the new magazine is "An introduction to SOM" by Yuri
    > Prokushev!
    >
    > You are very welcome to contribute to the new EDM/2 magazine, we also have
    > jobs for non-programmers, just check the "General Stuff" section on the main
    > page. Every contribution is very welcome!

    > Enjoy!
    >
    > Adrian Gschwend
    > netlabs.org

    Excellent Adrian, absolultely excellent!

    It would be wonderful if netlabs.org would do an offshoot or separate
    site or even a separate section of EDM/2 for 'general' OS/2 articles
    along the lines of OS/2 eZine. That way OS/2 users could contribute
    their own OS/2 articles directly. You could really turn EDM/2 into the
    'hobbes' of OS/2 publications with sections about "how to", reviews
    of OS/2 products and services, OS/2 commentaries, - geez, the
    sections seem limitless!

    Kudos to Netlabs!

    Tim Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy

  3. Re: EDM/2: reloaded!

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    > Adrian Gschwend wrote:
    >
    >> It's about fife years ago that EDM/2 (Electronic Developer
    >> Magazine/2) had
    >> its last issue, so it was about time to change that!
    >>
    >> edm2.com is hosted at netlabs.org for quite some time now so we
    >> finaly sat
    >> down and implemented something new for you! EDM/2 is now done in a so
    >> called
    >> Wiki, which makes it possible for everyone to add or edit articles.
    >>
    >> The first article in the new magazine is "An introduction to SOM" by
    >> Yuri
    >> Prokushev!
    >>
    >> You are very welcome to contribute to the new EDM/2 magazine, we also
    >> have
    >> jobs for non-programmers, just check the "General Stuff" section on
    >> the main
    >> page. Every contribution is very welcome!

    >> Enjoy!
    >>
    >> Adrian Gschwend
    >> netlabs.org
    >>

    > Excellent Adrian, absolultely excellent!

    Adrian suddenly looses all street credibility ;-)

    > Tim Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    > Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    > email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com

  4. Re: EDM/2: reloaded!

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 06:47:26 -0500, The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    Hi Tim,

    >Excellent Adrian, absolultely excellent!

    thanks

    >It would be wonderful if netlabs.org would do an offshoot or separate
    >site or even a separate section of EDM/2 for 'general' OS/2 articles
    >along the lines of OS/2 eZine. That way OS/2 users could contribute
    >their own OS/2 articles directly. You could really turn EDM/2 into the
    >'hobbes' of OS/2 publications with sections about "how to", reviews
    >of OS/2 products and services, OS/2 commentaries, - geez, the
    >sections seem limitless!

    well yes I thought about that too but I asked myself if it wouldn't be a good
    idea for OS/2 Ezine to go the Wiki-way as well. I thought about contacting
    the staff there already but I first wanted to launch EDM/2 as "testbed" for a
    Wiki-driven article. So let us wait some days/weeks and talk to ezine later.

    And to my very positive surprise someone already corrected the article of
    Yuri Prokushev so the english sounds much cleaner now! That's exactly what
    Wikis are thought for. Thanks community!

    cu

    Adrian

    --
    Adrian Gschwend
    netlabs.org

    ktk@netlabs.org
    -------
    The OS/2 OpenSource Project:
    http://www.netlabs.org

  5. Re: EDM/2: reloaded!

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:23:18 UTC, "Adrian Gschwend" wrote:

    > edm2.com is hosted at netlabs.org for quite some time now so we finaly sat
    > down and implemented something new for you! EDM/2 is now done in a so called
    > Wiki, which makes it possible for everyone to add or edit articles.

    GREAT! Thanks for your work!

    --
    Antonio Manara Rossini (aka: WarpToy)
    WSiTE: www.vrglabs.com - FiDONET: 2:332/807.14 - iCQ: 14586599

  6. Re: EDM/2: reloaded!

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:07:06 UTC, "Adrian Gschwend"
    wrote:

    > well yes I thought about that too but I asked myself if it wouldn't be a good
    > idea for OS/2 Ezine to go the Wiki-way as well. I thought about contacting
    > the staff there already but I first wanted to launch EDM/2 as "testbed" for a
    > Wiki-driven article. So let us wait some days/weeks and talk to ezine later.

    The problem with that is that *everybody* can change articles. I
    certainly wouldn't want that to be possible. Think of the negative
    possibilities! At least, there should be some kind of workflow that
    requires an editor to actually give the permission to publish the
    changed version.
    --
    "I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen." - W.H. Auden

  7. Re: EDM/2: reloaded!

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:01:10 UTC "Christian Hennecke"
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:07:06 UTC, "Adrian Gschwend"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > well yes I thought about that too but I asked myself if it wouldn't be a good
    > > idea for OS/2 Ezine to go the Wiki-way as well. I thought about contacting
    > > the staff there already but I first wanted to launch EDM/2 as "testbed" for a
    > > Wiki-driven article. So let us wait some days/weeks and talk to ezine later.

    > The problem with that is that *everybody* can change articles. I
    > certainly wouldn't want that to be possible. Think of the negative
    > possibilities! At least, there should be some kind of workflow that
    > requires an editor to actually give the permission to publish the
    > changed version.

    There was an interesting article referenced on /. today in this vein.
    It was written by a former editor of the Encyclopedia Brittanica and
    he makes some very pertainent points regarding the wiki concept -
    worth the few minutes to read it.

    http://www.techcentralstation.com/111504A.html

    --
    Will Honea

  8. Re: EDM/2: reloaded!

    On 16 Nov 2004 22:01:10 GMT, Christian Hennecke wrote:

    >The problem with that is that *everybody* can change articles. I
    >certainly wouldn't want that to be possible. Think of the negative
    >possibilities! At least, there should be some kind of workflow that
    >requires an editor to actually give the permission to publish the
    >changed version.

    One can have long discussions about that but that's not the idea of Wikis. I
    thought about abuse as well but the original author can always see the diffs
    and he can always undelete them. So for me this is not an issue.

    If we require the author to accept the article each time we break one of the
    major benefits of a Wiki.

    cu

    Adrian

    --
    Adrian Gschwend
    netlabs.org

    ktk@netlabs.org
    -------
    The OS/2 OpenSource Project:
    http://www.netlabs.org

  9. Re: EDM/2: reloaded!

    Sir:

    Adrian Gschwend wrote:
    > On 16 Nov 2004 22:01:10 GMT, Christian Hennecke wrote:
    >

    >>The problem with that is that *everybody* can change articles. I
    >>certainly wouldn't want that to be possible. Think of the negative
    >>possibilities! At least, there should be some kind of workflow that
    >>requires an editor to actually give the permission to publish the
    >>changed version.

    > One can have long discussions about that but that's not the idea of Wikis. I
    > thought about abuse as well but the original author can always see the diffs
    > and he can always undelete them. So for me this is not an issue.
    >
    > If we require the author to accept the article each time we break one of the
    > major benefits of a Wiki.

    As long as we reader can see the original article before modifications,
    then the Wiki ideal is okay. Do you have this setup like CVS where we
    can pull the changes?
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  10. Re: EDM/2: reloaded!

    William L. Hartzell wrote:

    > As long as we reader can see the original article before modifications,
    > then the Wiki ideal is okay. Do you have this setup like CVS where we
    > can pull the changes?

    Did you not notice the History tab on each page? No CVS needed if you
    have the right wiki software...
    --
    Gre von
    Peter.