OS/2 Warp Version 4.0 - OS2

This is a discussion on OS/2 Warp Version 4.0 - OS2 ; Hi Does anyone have a copy of Os/2 Warp 4.0 for sale please? Thanks Phil --- Synchronet 3.14a-Win32 NewsLink 1.85 * bbs.cyberchatnet.com - Vienna, VA - telnet://bbs.cyberchatnet.com...

  1. OS/2 Warp Version 4.0

    Hi

    Does anyone have a copy of Os/2 Warp 4.0 for sale please?

    Thanks
    Phil
    --- Synchronet 3.14a-Win32 NewsLink 1.85
    * bbs.cyberchatnet.com - Vienna, VA - telnet://bbs.cyberchatnet.com

  2. Re: OS/2 Warp Version 4.0

    On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:37:25 UTC, "Phil Taylor"
    wrote:

    -> Hi
    ->
    -> Does anyone have a copy of Os/2 Warp 4.0 for sale please?

    Copies pop up on eBay regularly. Keep in mind that Warp4 dates from
    1996. It can be installed on newer machines with some tweaking,
    especially for installing on larger hard drives. You would need to
    get the DANIS506 driver from Hobbes and put it on the install diskette
    -
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/syste...nis506r181.zip
    For a more current and easier to install version if you are planning
    to install on current hardware, take a look at eComStation
    http://www.ecomstation.com This is an OEM licensed and still
    developed release of OS/2.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.warpstock.eu

  3. Re: OS/2 Warp Version 4.0

    Phil ..

    Phil Taylor wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Does anyone have a copy of Os/2 Warp 4.0 for sale please?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Phil
    > --- Synchronet 3.14a-Win32 NewsLink 1.85
    > * bbs.cyberchatnet.com - Vienna, VA - telnet://bbs.cyberchatnet.com

    Rather than go after Warp 4.0, you really ought to go after a copy of MCP2 and
    access to the later fix packs and so on for it somehow. The reason is that
    with a number of types of motherboards and hardware cards, even though you may
    get Warp 4 up and running, even with Fix Pack 17 official for Warp 4, you can
    hit serious problems which will deal you lots of misery.

    For example, I have fully licensed installs of Warp 4, FP17 and all the latest
    fixes for it on which I just needed to update the box to later hardware. I
    stuck the hard drive to one of several ASUS PMV133 Intel Pentium III Coppermine
    motherboards which first hit troubles with any of several different brands of
    what should have been straight PC 100 memory sticks it ought to have been able
    to use. Wrong .. wound up having to go to a new 256MB PNY Optima dual
    PC100/133 to get past serious errors in applications running just fine on other
    systems with the Warp 4 FP 17 operations.

    But wait, there's more misery I found!

    Curiously the new Seamonkey 1.1.3 in either the 'normal' release or Peter's
    High Memory version, nor 1.1.4, nor even the 1.1.5 Pre-release, while they run
    under Warp 4 latest everything, even the custom installed later TCP/IP,
    wouldn't even finish a startup in much under one and a half minutes!

    For testing, I cloned a complete MCP2 latest XRC05 and all other fixes of the
    same program needs into the IDE based hard drive for this system and tried it.

    POOF! Complete fix for the Seamonkey load time and run delay issues. About
    8-10 seconds to finish the opening of these critical tools for OS/2. I've
    since read of other ASUS motherboards with similar problems on older OS/2
    versions. So, from this any many other particularly communications I/O
    problems with Warp 4 on later hardware, I strongly suggest you find a source of
    MCP2 and the acquisition of the needed IBM fixes, plus Dani's stuff that go
    with this. Or look toward MCP2 original from IBM and even a way to get the
    needed fixes from eCs sourcing to get where you are going, if eCs by itself as
    now provided can't solve the problems you have.

    You might also note that if you are trying somehow to migrate a Warp 4 complete
    matrix of work to MCP2 level code, to my knowledge and by what I still think is
    complete admission of the eCs folks, you can't safely use eCs to migrate the
    Warp 4 operation to MCP. It has to be done first via MCP1, then again to MCP2,
    thence fix packed correctly through all the matrix of whatever to get there.
    The Warp 4 hard drive conversion to LVM type operations, to my experience,
    simply is not viable through other than the MCP1 pathway at all for systems
    like I faced with a quarter million files or more and many years of work which
    I have fully moved all the way to the present which could not be done in my
    case through other than the official IBM pathway.

    As well, during the process of moving and installing things, look carefully at
    the amount of installed memory on the new motherboard, as well as CPU speeds
    and so on. Until fix packed upward and until the OS/2 Kernel was fixed even
    with the MCP level code to later than the IBM install disk level code, you
    can't even get an install done on larger memory and very fast or later core
    level CPU's for some hardware combinations that will, as finally fix packed,
    work with OS/2 now.

    Just trying to help here.

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  4. Re: OS/2 Warp Version 4.0

    Hiya, Mike-

    > Just trying to help here.

    I personally think he'd be better off getting eCS. It's worth the
    money. I'm planning on upgrading to 2.0 when it comes out. It's got
    a lot of the bugs fixed (including that oh-so-fun Peer installation
    bug). It works quite well on my BBS machine.

    --Sean
    --
    Sean Dennis * sean@outpostbbs.net * http://outpostbbs.net
    Author of Cheepware BBS doors and sysop utilities

  5. Re: OS/2 Warp Version 4.0

    Phil Taylor wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Does anyone have a copy of Os/2 Warp 4.0 for sale please?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Phil
    > --- Synchronet 3.14a-Win32 NewsLink 1.85
    > * bbs.cyberchatnet.com - Vienna, VA - telnet://bbs.cyberchatnet.com

    If you are looking simply for a working OS/2 system, try ECS (1.2R
    latest recommended version). It's easier to install than Warp 4.0 + fixpaks.
    Peter

  6. Re: OS/2 Warp Version 4.0

    Sean,

    What is this 'Peer installation bug' you mentioned?
    I can not install 1.2R on any of my systems. :{
    It will finish the install if I do not install network support.

    TIA
    Rich W.

    Sean Dennis wrote:
    > Hiya, Mike-
    >
    >> Just trying to help here.

    > I personally think he'd be better off getting eCS. It's worth the
    > money. I'm planning on upgrading to 2.0 when it comes out. It's got
    > a lot of the bugs fixed (including that oh-so-fun Peer installation
    > bug). It works quite well on my BBS machine.
    >
    > --Sean

  7. Re: OS/2 Warp Version 4.0

    On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 00:20:09 UTC, Rich Wonneberger
    wrote:

    > Sean,
    >
    > What is this 'Peer installation bug' you mentioned?
    > I can not install 1.2R on any of my systems. :{
    > It will finish the install if I do not install network support.
    >
    > TIA
    > Rich W.
    >

    > Sean Dennis wrote:
    > > Hiya, Mike-
    > >
    > >> Just trying to help here.

    > > I personally think he'd be better off getting eCS. It's worth the
    > > money. I'm planning on upgrading to 2.0 when it comes out. It's got
    > > a lot of the bugs fixed (including that oh-so-fun Peer installation
    > > bug). It works quite well on my BBS machine.
    > >
    > > --Sean

    Not sure if this is what he was referring to, but with Warp v4.52, if
    you're trying to install of peer on an existing system, it fails if
    there are any lines in config.sys that are longer than 255 characters. I
    got around this by temporarily pruning all lines longer than 255
    characters (like LIBPATH, PATH, etc.), installing peer, and then
    reconstructing the long lines.

    HTH,
    Pete

    --

  8. Re: OS/2 Warp Version 4.0

    I just can not install eCS 1.2R
    I would think a clean install should not have any long lines in config.sys.

    Rich W.

    Pete wrote:
    > On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 00:20:09 UTC, Rich Wonneberger
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Sean,
    >>
    >> What is this 'Peer installation bug' you mentioned?
    >> I can not install 1.2R on any of my systems. :{
    >> It will finish the install if I do not install network support.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Rich W.
    >>

    >> Sean Dennis wrote:
    >>> Hiya, Mike-

    >>> I personally think he'd be better off getting eCS. It's worth the
    >>> money. I'm planning on upgrading to 2.0 when it comes out. It's got
    >>> a lot of the bugs fixed (including that oh-so-fun Peer installation
    >>> bug). It works quite well on my BBS machine.
    >>>
    >>> --Sean

    > Not sure if this is what he was referring to, but with Warp v4.52, if
    > you're trying to install of peer on an existing system, it fails if
    > there are any lines in config.sys that are longer than 255 characters. I
    > got around this by temporarily pruning all lines longer than 255
    > characters (like LIBPATH, PATH, etc.), installing peer, and then
    > reconstructing the long lines.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Pete

  9. Re: OS/2 Warp Version 4.0

    Phil Taylor wrote:

    > Does anyone have a copy of OS/2 Warp 4.0 for sale please?

    _____
    Phil,

    I may be able to help. Please contact me off-line at
    C_O_N_T_R_E_X_AT_S_H_A_W_DOT_CA. A message to
    phil.taylor@bbs.cyberchatnet.com gets rejected.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  10. Re: OS/2 Warp Version 4.0

    Hi Rich

    Rich Wonneberger wrote:
    > Peter,
    >
    > When I tried to install 1.2R with TCP/IP and Netbios over TCP/IP the
    > install never finished. I would get the 1st reboot, select the options
    > to install, it would continue and never finish.

    I have not bumped into that problem when updating 2 systems here; I
    clean install and 1 migrate install. I always use the Advanced Install
    but that should not make a difference.

    > If I installed TCP/IP only, it would finish, but there would be nothing
    > in the Local Network folder. There was also no NET command to use.

    Not surprising as no LAN bits have been installed.

    You could always add the Peer support after the install I guess.

    > I have a note somewhere to check the log files. (I forget the folder
    > they are in) I havent had time to get into that.

    Usually [BootDrive]\var\log

    > I have tried it on a few Intel mother boards (Real Intel & Intel CPU
    > also) as well as 2 other boards, Asus and Realtec (iIrr), and one board
    > with an AMD CPU. (The Intel boards were all P4 btw)

    All AMD based systems here and, as stated above, no network install
    problems - not that I am suggesting it is an Intel problem; I'm sure
    there would be a bit of noise in the eCS ngs if that was the case.

    > I may have some time to try again with the AMD box in the near future.
    >
    > eCS 1.1 has installed on all of these OK, including networking.
    >
    > Last, I had the same with the real eCS CD, and burnt CD's with 1.2R
    >
    > Take Care
    > Rich W.

    Try installing tcpip only and add the Peer (File and Print Client) stuff
    after the install: Desktop -> Local System -> Install/Remove ->
    Selective Install for Networking.

    Regards

    Pete

  11. Re: OS/2 Warp Version 4.0

    Peter,

    Interesting thing.
    In one of the files it had something about the route command would not work.
    I re-installed again (always formatting the drive) without specifying a
    default router or DNS server and the install finished.

    Worked on my Asus test box and the (possibly) final install on a new
    Intel DG965WH board.

    The only think left, I have to decide if I want to use an Intel PCI NIC
    or try to get a driver for the embedded NIC. The manual indicates its
    an Intel Pro 10/100/1000, but none of the drivers I tried were able to
    work it.
    Haven't tried the GenMac driver yet.

    Peter Brown wrote:

    >> If I installed TCP/IP only, it would finish, but there would be
    >> nothing in the Local Network folder. There was also no NET command to
    >> use.
    >>

    > Not surprising as no LAN bits have been installed.
    >
    > You could always add the Peer support after the install I guess.

  12. Re: OS/2 Warp Version 4.0

    Rich Wonneberger wrote:
    > Peter,
    >
    > Interesting thing.
    > In one of the files it had something about the route command would not
    > work.
    > I re-installed again (always formatting the drive) without specifying a
    > default router or DNS server and the install finished.
    >
    > Worked on my Asus test box and the (possibly) final install on a new
    > Intel DG965WH board.
    >
    > The only think left, I have to decide if I want to use an Intel PCI NIC
    > or try to get a driver for the embedded NIC. The manual indicates its
    > an Intel Pro 10/100/1000, but none of the drivers I tried were able to
    > work it.
    > Haven't tried the GenMac driver yet.

    My T60 has

    Vendor 8086h Intel Corporation
    Device 109Ah PRO/1000 PL Network Connection

    eCS2.0RC3 installs out of the box and automatically selects and
    correctly configures the GENMAC driver.

    I changed OPTIONS from either NONE or NOTIMER (don't remember which) to
    NATIVE during the install.

    [TCPIP_NIF]

    DriverName = TCPIP$
    BINDINGS = W8086X109A_NIF,,,

    [W8086X109A_NIF]

    DriverName = WRND32$
    VENDOR = 0x8086
    DEVICE = 0x109A
    NDIS_SYS = "E1E5132.SYS"
    NDIS_INF = "E1E5132.INF"
    DEBUGLEVEL = "NONE"
    OPTIONS = "NATIVE"

    Use Craig Hart's PCI scanner to find out the Device code for your
    onboard NIC.

  13. Re: OS/2 Warp Version 4.0

    Rich ..

    Rich Wonneberger wrote:

    > The only think left, I have to decide if I want to use an Intel PCI NIC
    > or try to get a driver for the embedded NIC. The manual indicates its
    > an Intel Pro 10/100/1000, but none of the drivers I tried were able to
    > work it.
    > Haven't tried the GenMac driver yet.

    As far as I know, there is an official Intel OS/2 driver release from Intel for
    the Pro 100/1000 chip and it does not come from IBM. When I hit this with the
    Intel 915GAVL/GEVL and 945 motherboards I was able to log on to the Intel
    support site. I got the driver from that site, although it was, curiously, in
    the form of a WIndows NT self extracting file. I extracted the file on a
    WIN-NT drive tray here .. then took the file to the OS/2 system via a Drive A:
    addition of the driver in the MPTN setup file for OS/2.

    It has worked fine here. Unless I am mistaken from what I see on this 915GAVL
    this is being written on it is a file I have stored as:

    > 3-18-05 11:17p 29218 0 INTELNIC.ZIP

    Which has the entire drivers for the PRO 100/1000 on it and can be moved to the
    MPTN driver directory by hand, thence simply used to add support for the PRO
    100/1000 chip per my experience.

    In my IBMCOM\MACS directory from this archive are:

    > 6-23-04 2:55p 1890 0 E1000.NIF
    > 7-02-04 1:03p 27700 0 E1000.OS2
    > 4-02-04 10:17a 25140 0 E100B.OS2
    > 4-02-04 10:48a 2941 0 E100BEO2.NIF

    If this is what you are looking for I'll see if I can Email you with the
    archive for this?

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  14. Re: OS/2 Warp Version 4.0

    On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 22:07:34 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, Mike Luther
    wrote:

    > As far as I know, there is an official Intel OS/2 driver release from Intel for
    > the Pro 100/1000 chip and it does not come from IBM.

    There are lots of PRO/1000 chips that that one does not support - almost
    anything in the last 2 years in fact :-(

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  15. Re: OS/2 Warp Version 4.0

    Mike,

    I will give them a try.
    If you could zip the 4 files and send to:
    turtil (AT) frontiernet (dot) net

    Thanks in advance.
    Rich W.

    Mike Luther wrote:
    > Rich ..
    >
    > Rich Wonneberger wrote:
    >
    >> The only think left, I have to decide if I want to use an Intel PCI
    >> NIC or try to get a driver for the embedded NIC. The manual indicates
    >> its an Intel Pro 10/100/1000, but none of the drivers I tried were
    >> able to work it.
    >> Haven't tried the GenMac driver yet.

    > As far as I know, there is an official Intel OS/2 driver release from
    > Intel for the Pro 100/1000 chip and it does not come from IBM. When I
    > hit this with the Intel 915GAVL/GEVL and 945 motherboards I was able to
    > log on to the Intel support site. I got the driver from that site,
    > although it was, curiously, in the form of a WIndows NT self extracting
    > file. I extracted the file on a WIN-NT drive tray here .. then took the
    > file to the OS/2 system via a Drive A: addition of the driver in the
    > MPTN setup file for OS/2.
    >
    > It has worked fine here. Unless I am mistaken from what I see on this
    > 915GAVL this is being written on it is a file I have stored as:
    >
    > > 3-18-05 11:17p 29218 0 INTELNIC.ZIP

    > Which has the entire drivers for the PRO 100/1000 on it and can be moved
    > to the MPTN driver directory by hand, thence simply used to add support
    > for the PRO 100/1000 chip per my experience.
    >
    > In my IBMCOM\MACS directory from this archive are:
    >
    > > 6-23-04 2:55p 1890 0 E1000.NIF
    > > 7-02-04 1:03p 27700 0 E1000.OS2
    > > 4-02-04 10:17a 25140 0 E100B.OS2
    > > 4-02-04 10:48a 2941 0 E100BEO2.NIF

    > If this is what you are looking for I'll see if I can Email you with the
    > archive for this?

  16. Re: OS/2 Warp Version 4.0

    Done it.

    Rich Wonneberger wrote:

    > Mike,
    >
    > I will give them a try.
    > If you could zip the 4 files and send to:
    > turtil (AT) frontiernet (dot) net
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Rich W.

    You ought to have the file if everything went right!

    Good luck.

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  17. Re: OS/2 Warp Version 4.0

    Mike,

    Your files did not work.
    I did get another e-mail with a link to the RealTek site, but to a file
    for the RTL8139 files. (I have a RTL8101L chipset.)
    I figured it was small anyway, so I tried them and they worked.

    Thank You to Dan T. for this.
    I tried to reply to your e-mail but it bounced?

    Rich W.

    Mike Luther wrote:
    > Done it.
    >
    > Rich Wonneberger wrote:
    >
    >> Mike,
    >>
    >> I will give them a try.
    >> If you could zip the 4 files and send to:
    >> turtil (AT) frontiernet (dot) net
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >> Rich W.

    > You ought to have the file if everything went right!
    >
    > Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread