backagain/2 & JFS - OS2

This is a discussion on backagain/2 & JFS - OS2 ; On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 23:52:44 UTC,  The OS/2 Guy  wrote: Total garbage, as usual. See: > http://tmfaq.servehttp.com/ For more information on the nutcase who calls himself "The OS/2 Guy", but has abandoned OS/2 in favor of a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33

  1. Re: [FUD4] backagain/2 & JFS

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 23:52:44 UTC,  The OS/2 Guy
    wrote:

    Total garbage, as usual.

    See:

    > http://tmfaq.servehttp.com/

    For more information on the nutcase who calls himself "The OS/2 Guy",
    but has abandoned OS/2 in favor of a Mac. Now, if he would only go
    away, and quit bothering those of us who are smart enough to use eCS
    (THIRD version, and each is better than the one before), perhaps we
    could all benefit from his absence.

    --
    From the eComStation 2.0 RC2 of Doug Bissett
    dougb007 at telus dot net

  2. Re: backagain/2 & JFS

    Alex Taylor wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 22:16:43 UTC, "Percival P. Cassidy"
    > wrote:

    >> If you're prepared to use a backup medium as fragile as that on which
    >> the original data is stored, you might as well use the RAR archive
    >> program (on Hobbes, I think), which allows you to specify the size of
    >> the "chunks" into which the archive is divided, so you can easily ensure
    >> that they are smaller than 2GB (that's even assuming that RAR suffers
    >> from the 2GB limit; I forget).

    > It does. (Meaning you can't back up single files larger than 2GB at
    > all -- Virtual PC users beware -- but AFAIK there's actually NO backup
    > program for OS/2 that can do this.)

    RAR is built with EMX so has the 2GB limit. WinRAR runs well with ODIN
    and does not have the 2GB limit but does not support EAs.
    Another backup program that does support EAs and does not have the 2GB
    limit is Star 1.5 (on Hobbes). Star is a posix tar not quite compatible
    with GNU tar though if named gtar is close. I also don't think the tape
    support has been ported

    Dave

  3. Re: backagain/2 & JFS

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 08:51:03 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Alex Taylor"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> If you're prepared to use a backup medium as fragile as that on which
    >>> the original data is stored, you might as well use the RAR archive
    >>> program (on Hobbes, I think), which allows you to specify the size of
    >>> the "chunks" into which the archive is divided, so you can easily ensure
    >>> that they are smaller than 2GB (that's even assuming that RAR suffers
    >>> from the 2GB limit; I forget).

    >> It does. (Meaning you can't back up single files larger than 2GB at
    >> all -- Virtual PC users beware -- but AFAIK there's actually NO backup
    >> program for OS/2 that can do this.)

    > rar itself does not have a 2GB restriction, not on the files it backs up nor on
    > the file(s) it backs up to. The OS/2 port may not be large file enabled though
    > but there was at least one version that was - possibly compiled from source by
    > an end user rather than provided by rar themselves. It needed a patched EMX
    > runtime.

    Currently the DOS version is built with EMX and is also the OS/2
    version. Seems they might have an OS/2 build machine in which case I
    doubt it would be hard for them to build RAR with klibc and have large
    file support.
    Dave

  4. Re: backagain/2 & JFS

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 09:07:01 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:

    > > Mind you, virtual tape solutions are becoming the big thing nowadays.
    > > It's supposed to provide all the benefits of tape without the problems
    > > inherent in managing the actual tape media.

    > How does this all work? What is the storage medium?

    I've never been entirely clear on how it works, actually. I
    worked on the operational side, rather than on the engineering
    side, so I only saw the most high-level overviews.

    I _think_ it involves writing backups to some kind of disk-based
    storage silo, then duplicating them at high speed across a
    network connection to offsite storage. But there may be more to
    it than that. And I'm not sure what form the offsite storage
    takes in this case (tape, disk, or something else).

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Please take off hat when replying.

  5. Re: backagain/2 & JFS

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 12:36:07 UTC, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew Stephenson)
    wrote:

    > > [...] (Meaning you can't back up single files larger than 2GB
    > > at all -- Virtual PC users beware -- but AFAIK there's actually
    > > NO backup program for OS/2 that can do this.)

    > Does that even apply to ZIP in "save to multiple disk" mode? (I
    > haven't used it that way in yonks, so don't know if it will save
    > to multiple things other than floppies.)

    RAR can also write to fixed-size volumes. This has nothing to do
    with whether large files can be backed up, though.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Please take off hat when replying.

  6. Re: backagain/2 & JFS

    In , on 10/05/2007
    at 06:43 PM, "Alex Taylor" said:

    Hi,

    >I've never been entirely clear on how it works, actually. I worked on
    >the operational side, rather than on the engineering side, so I only saw
    >the most high-level overviews.

    >I _think_ it involves writing backups to some kind of disk-based storage
    >silo, then duplicating them at high speed across a
    >network connection to offsite storage. But there may be more to it than
    >that. And I'm not sure what form the offsite storage takes in this case
    >(tape, disk, or something else).

    My understanding of this stuff is that the key feature is that the device
    looks like a plain old array of tape drives to the system. Applications
    continue to run unchanged, albeit possibly faster. The backends where the
    data is stored probably vary. Some are probably pure disk
    implementations; others might eventually flow the data the real tapes.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 3.00 beta 08pre #10183

  7. Re: backagain/2 & JFS

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 19:51:18 GMT, Hannes Hromadka wrote:

    >I gave up backing up to DDS2 or DAT 8 tapes some time ago.
    >I saved to USB hard disk or DVD-Ram. But recently I got a used DDS
    >4 drive with changer and also a DLT4000 IBM drive for free.

    Do you use BA2k with your autochanger? If so, what is the brand/model
    number?

    Jon

  8. Re: backagain/2 & JFS

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 20:04:27 -0700 (PDT), Jon wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 19:51:18 GMT, Hannes Hromadka wrote:
    >

    >>I gave up backing up to DDS2 or DAT 8 tapes some time ago.
    >>I saved to USB hard disk or DVD-Ram. But recently I got a used DDS
    >>4 drive with changer and also a DLT4000 IBM drive for free.

    > Do you use BA2k with your autochanger? If so, what is the brand/model
    > number?

    Yes, I have 2 models.

    One is a HP SureStore DAT40x6.
    It holds 6 DDS4 tapes.

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...SeriesId=42856

    The others are the older DDS2 OEM HP Autoloaders IBM branded,
    rescued from abandoned IBM PC-Servers 720/500

    Ciao, Hannes

    --
    >>> Rust never sleeps (borrowed from Neil YOUNG) <<<

  9. Re: backagain/2 & JFS

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 08:21:52 GMT, Hannes Hromadka wrote:

    >One is a HP SureStore DAT40x6.
    >It holds 6 DDS4 tapes.
    >
    >http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...SeriesId=42856

    And this one works w/ BA2k Autochanger? Just want to make sure before I
    start looking for one to replace my DDS2 model.

    thanks, Jon

  10. Re: backagain/2 & JFS

    Jon wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 08:21:52 GMT, Hannes Hromadka wrote:
    >
    >> One is a HP SureStore DAT40x6.
    >> It holds 6 DDS4 tapes.
    >>
    >> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...SeriesId=42856

    > And this one works w/ BA2k Autochanger? Just want to make sure before I
    > start looking for one to replace my DDS2 model.

    Yes, but you need the extra key for autoloader support in BA2k.

    Hannes

  11. Re: backagain/2 & JFS

    On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 00:32:40 UTC, Steven Levine
    wrote:

    > >I've never been entirely clear on how it works, actually. I worked on
    > >the operational side, rather than on the engineering side, so I only saw
    > >the most high-level overviews.

    I realized this explanation is a bit lacking - what I meant is,
    we didn't have any virtual tape so the only time it was ever
    discussed was in planning for a future infrastructure design,
    which was rather outside the scope of what I mostly worked on...

    > >I _think_ it involves writing backups to some kind of disk-based storage
    > >silo, then duplicating them at high speed across a
    > >network connection to offsite storage. But there may be more to it than
    > >that. And I'm not sure what form the offsite storage takes in this case
    > >(tape, disk, or something else).

    > My understanding of this stuff is that the key feature is that the device
    > looks like a plain old array of tape drives to the system. Applications
    > continue to run unchanged, albeit possibly faster. The backends where the
    > data is stored probably vary. Some are probably pure disk
    > implementations; others might eventually flow the data the real tapes.

    Yes, I think you're right.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Please take off hat when replying.

  12. Re: backagain/2 & JFS

    In <4706d914$1$fgrir53$mr2ice@news.west.earthlink.net>, on 10/05/2007
    at 05:32 PM, Steven Levine said:

    >My understanding of this stuff is that the key feature is that the device
    >looks like a plain old array of tape drives to the system. Applications
    >continue to run unchanged, albeit possibly faster. The backends where
    >the data is stored probably vary. Some are probably pure disk
    >implementations; others might eventually flow the data the real
    >tapes.

    With multiple logical tapes on a single physical tape. I've never
    understood the point; it always seemed simpler to go to DASD and let
    unused data sets get migrated.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  13. Re: backagain/2 & JFS

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 13:17:42 +0200, Hannes Hromadka wrote:

    >Yes, but you need the extra key for autoloader support in BA2k.

    Thanks, I bought the key years ago for the older changer I have. I just
    wasn't certain if what you desribe would be recognized by it. I'd hate to
    buy a changer and find out the it was not recognized. In this case it seems
    to be no problem.

    jon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2