Mr. Message (AIM client) update 9/22/2007 - OS2

This is a discussion on Mr. Message (AIM client) update 9/22/2007 - OS2 ; Mr. Message for OS/2 is an instant messenger client which is capable of communicating over AOL's Instant Messenger network using the OSCAR protocol (used in the Win32 AIM clients, jBuddy, gAIM, Kopete, ICQ, and a variety of other clients). It ...

  1. Mr. Message (AIM client) update 9/22/2007

    Mr. Message for OS/2 is an instant messenger client which is capable of
    communicating over AOL's Instant Messenger network using the OSCAR
    protocol (used in the Win32 AIM clients, jBuddy, gAIM, Kopete, ICQ, and
    a variety of other clients).

    It has been updated with the following changes:
    * Fixed failure to log in when the buddy list is sent in more than
    one part (long buddy list).
    * Fixed potential small memory leak when unknown rendevous messages
    are received.
    * Fixed random corruption in incoming messages, caused by some portion
    of leftover debug code. Incoming messages should be received reliably
    again.

    NOTE:
    There may be a problem running with UniAud 1.14RC3. If you
    experience a hang in Mr. Message, try running with the "-nosound"
    command line option. I'm looking to get more information about
    this problem to see if I can work around it.

    To download, please visit the official Mr. Message web page:
    http://mamodeo.dyndns.org/MrMessage

  2. Re: Mr. Message (AIM client) update 9/22/2007

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 22:19:02 -0700, Marty wrote:

    > Mr. Message for OS/2 is an instant messenger client which is capable of
    > communicating over AOL's Instant Messenger network using the OSCAR
    > protocol (used in the Win32 AIM clients, jBuddy, gAIM, Kopete, ICQ, and
    > a variety of other clients).

    Hi Marty, are you using parts of GAIM source for this? Bit of an ugly
    mess with AOL over naming, so you might want to remove gAIM from your
    list :-) Or have you moved to the Pidgin source (new name for gAIM)

    Wayne
    --
    Registered Linux user #375994
    http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/

  3. Re: Mr. Message (AIM client) update 9/22/2007

    Wayne wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 22:19:02 -0700, Marty wrote:
    >
    >>Mr. Message for OS/2 is an instant messenger client which is capable of
    >>communicating over AOL's Instant Messenger network using the OSCAR
    >>protocol (used in the Win32 AIM clients, jBuddy, gAIM, Kopete, ICQ, and
    >>a variety of other clients).

    > Hi Marty, are you using parts of GAIM source for this?

    Nope. All my implementation from the ground up. I wrote every line of
    code except the MD5 encryption code, which I included unmodified in my
    source package, giving full credit to the original author. I have used
    gAIM as a reference implementation, analyzing its conversations with the
    server through Ethereal (which, it turns out, is far easier than reading
    its source code!) when I get really stuck. But the vast majority of my
    information is from Alexandr Shutko's reference material on AIM servers
    along with a couple of other web sources as a cross-reference. I
    mention this (in not so much detail) in my ReadMe.

    > Bit of an ugly
    > mess with AOL over naming, so you might want to remove gAIM from your
    > list :-) Or have you moved to the Pidgin source (new name for gAIM)

    If that's the new project name, I'll change my references in the future.
    But if AOL comes after me for using the old name, I'll owe you a
    6-pack. ;-)

  4. Re: Mr. Message (AIM client) update 9/22/2007

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 23:55:03 -0700, Marty wrote:

    > Nope. All my implementation from the ground up. I wrote every line of
    > code except the MD5 encryption code, which I included unmodified in my
    > source package, giving full credit to the original author. I have used
    > gAIM as a reference implementation, analyzing its conversations with the
    > server through Ethereal (which, it turns out, is far easier than reading
    > its source code!) when I get really stuck. But the vast majority of my
    > information is from Alexandr Shutko's reference material on AIM servers
    > along with a couple of other web sources as a cross-reference. I
    > mention this (in not so much detail) in my ReadMe.

    Wasn't pointing a finger, was just interested, as I remember when you
    started the project you were hunting around for information on the
    various protocols, etc :-)

    >> Bit of an ugly
    >> mess with AOL over naming, so you might want to remove gAIM from your
    >> list Or have you moved to the Pidgin source (new name for gAIM)

    > If that's the new project name, I'll change my references in the future.
    > But if AOL comes after me for using the old name, I'll owe you a
    > 6-pack. ;-)

    Better safe than sorry, especially when everyone is so keen to sue over
    the smallest trifle these days :-) A six-pack would be nice, but I've
    moved on to 10 litre kegs these days ;-)

    Wayne
    --
    Registered Linux user #375994
    http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/

  5. Re: Mr. Message (AIM client) update 9/22/2007

    Wayne wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 23:55:03 -0700, Marty wrote:
    >
    >>Nope. All my implementation from the ground up. I wrote every line of
    >>code except the MD5 encryption code, which I included unmodified in my
    >>source package, giving full credit to the original author. I have used
    >>gAIM as a reference implementation, analyzing its conversations with the
    >>server through Ethereal (which, it turns out, is far easier than reading
    >>its source code!) when I get really stuck. But the vast majority of my
    >>information is from Alexandr Shutko's reference material on AIM servers
    >>along with a couple of other web sources as a cross-reference. I
    >>mention this (in not so much detail) in my ReadMe.

    > Wasn't pointing a finger, was just interested, as I remember when you
    > started the project you were hunting around for information on the
    > various protocols, etc :-)

    I didn't think you were accusing me of anything, I just wanted to
    provide some more info. Once I found Alexandr's web site, it was enough
    to start the login process and get the buddy list and go from there.
    There were a couple of more web sites that provided supplemental
    information on typing notifications and things like that, and some
    things, like avatars (which I haven't implemented yet), that I can only
    get from the gAIM source. When I do this, I will be looking only at the
    incoming and outgoing data, because 1) I really don't want to steal from
    these guys who worked really hard to make something good, and 2) I
    really do want to implement everything myself, because my own take on
    some algorithms could result in something that works better in OS/2.

    A good example of this is my rate regulation threads. The OSCAR
    protocol demands that you regulate the speed that you send certain
    messages to the server, and has 5 different "rate classes" with various
    types of messages associated with each. gAIM has a single thread to
    handle all of this and does some funky calculations that approximate the
    correct rates. In Mr. Message, I fire off a separate thread for each
    "rate class", whose only job is to check if we're near the limit, sleep
    for a certain amount of time if so, and then tell the app that it's ok
    to resume sending this message again.

    Sorry to start bogging down in technical details. ;-)

    >>>Bit of an ugly
    >>>mess with AOL over naming, so you might want to remove gAIM from your
    >>>list Or have you moved to the Pidgin source (new name for gAIM)

    >>If that's the new project name, I'll change my references in the future.
    >> But if AOL comes after me for using the old name, I'll owe you a
    >>6-pack. ;-)

    > Better safe than sorry, especially when everyone is so keen to sue over
    > the smallest trifle these days :-) A six-pack would be nice, but I've
    > moved on to 10 litre kegs these days ;-)

    I'm sure they could come up with something better than that when the get
    around to suing me. (note: when)

    Ok... you've upped the ante, but I'm still game. A 10 liter keg it is!
    (note: I'm from the US, so "liter" is intentionally misspelled.) ;-)

  6. Re: Mr. Message (AIM client) update 9/22/2007

    Marty wrote in

    > Wayne wrote:
    >> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 23:55:03 -0700, Marty wrote:
    >>
    >>>Nope. All my implementation from the ground up. I wrote every line
    >>>of code except the MD5 encryption code, which I included unmodified
    >>>in my source package, giving full credit to the original author. I
    >>>have used gAIM as a reference implementation, analyzing its
    >>>conversations with the server through Ethereal (which, it turns out,
    >>>is far easier than reading its source code!) when I get really stuck.
    >>> But the vast majority of my information is from Alexandr Shutko's
    >>>reference material on AIM servers along with a couple of other web
    >>>sources as a cross-reference. I mention this (in not so much detail)
    >>>in my ReadMe.

    >> Wasn't pointing a finger, was just interested, as I remember when you
    >> started the project you were hunting around for information on the
    >> various protocols, etc :-)

    > I didn't think you were accusing me of anything, I just wanted to
    > provide some more info. Once I found Alexandr's web site, it was
    > enough to start the login process and get the buddy list and go from
    > there. There were a couple of more web sites that provided
    > supplemental information on typing notifications and things like that,
    > and some things, like avatars (which I haven't implemented yet), that
    > I can only get from the gAIM source. When I do this, I will be
    > looking only at the incoming and outgoing data, because 1) I really
    > don't want to steal from these guys who worked really hard to make
    > something good, and 2) I really do want to implement everything
    > myself, because my own take on some algorithms could result in
    > something that works better in OS/2.
    >
    > A good example of this is my rate regulation threads. The OSCAR
    > protocol demands that you regulate the speed that you send certain
    > messages to the server, and has 5 different "rate classes" with
    > various types of messages associated with each. gAIM has a single
    > thread to handle all of this and does some funky calculations that
    > approximate the correct rates. In Mr. Message, I fire off a separate
    > thread for each

    > Sorry to start bogging down in technical details. ;-)

    Actually, I find the "technical details" rather interesting.

    --Sean

    --
    Sean Dennis * sean@outpostbbs.net * http://outpostbbs.net
    Author of Cheepware BBS doors and sysop utilities

  7. Re: Mr. Message (AIM client) update 9/22/2007

    Marty wrote:
    > Mr. Message for OS/2 is an instant messenger client which is capable of
    > communicating over AOL's Instant Messenger network using the OSCAR
    > protocol (used in the Win32 AIM clients, jBuddy, gAIM, Kopete, ICQ, and
    > a variety of other clients).

    I tried Mr.Message for the first time few days ago. Finally OS/2 native
    and usable ;-) ICQ GUI client for me.

    Thanks!

    --
    Cheers,
    Martin

    UNDERSCOREmmiATcentrumDOTcz to email me

  8. Re: Mr. Message (AIM client) update 9/22/2007

    Marty wrote:
    > Mr. Message for OS/2 is an instant messenger client which is capable of
    > communicating over AOL's Instant Messenger network using the OSCAR
    > protocol (used in the Win32 AIM clients, jBuddy, gAIM, Kopete, ICQ, and
    > a variety of other clients).

    I tried Mr.Message for the first time few days ago. Finally OS/2 native
    and usable ;-) ICQ GUI client for me.

    Thanks!

    --
    Cheers,
    Martin

    UNDERSCOREmmiATcentrumDOTcz to email me

  9. Re: Mr. Message (AIM client) update 9/22/2007

    MMI wrote:
    > Marty wrote:
    >
    >> Mr. Message for OS/2 is an instant messenger client which is capable
    >> of communicating over AOL's Instant Messenger network using the OSCAR
    >> protocol (used in the Win32 AIM clients, jBuddy, gAIM, Kopete, ICQ,
    >> and a variety of other clients).

    > I tried Mr.Message for the first time few days ago. Finally OS/2 native
    > and usable ;-) ICQ GUI client for me.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Glad you like it. Actually the ICQ part of it has a lot of limitations
    in the last version. But I'm concentrating on fixing that up because I
    know there are a lot of ICQ users out there in OS/2-land.

    Next release should have automatic retrieval of real user names (instead
    of those horrible UIN numbers), and retrieval of offline messages.

    I hope to get it out in a week.

  10. Re: Mr. Message (AIM client) update 9/22/2007