CD-Boot stops with error after OS2DASD.dmd - OS2

This is a discussion on CD-Boot stops with error after OS2DASD.dmd - OS2 ; After just having installed openSUSE 10.3 beta3, with GRUB supposedly gotten installed on partiton /dev/hda5, rebooting my system now hangs after the BIOS stuff. So I wanted to boot OS/2 from the installation CD, to rectify whatever SUSE had done ...

  1. CD-Boot stops with error after OS2DASD.dmd

    After just having installed openSUSE 10.3 beta3, with GRUB supposedly
    gotten installed on partiton /dev/hda5, rebooting my system now hangs
    after the BIOS stuff.

    So I wanted to boot OS/2 from the installation CD, to rectify whatever
    SUSE had done to the IBM boot manager, which in turn should chainload
    GRUB.

    To my big surprise however, booting from CD now also fails with an
    internal processing error, as soon as OS2DASD.dmd has been displayed
    as the last driver.

    It reads:
    "The system detected an internal processing error at location
    ##1200:4e78 - 0002:4e78
    60002, 5000

    068606a0
    Internal revision 14.103a_W4
    The system stopped. Record all of the above ....."

    So, what is that message supposed to reveal in plain English and how
    do I get OS/2 to boot up again from the installation CD, so that I can
    further investigate?

  2. Re: CD-Boot stops with error after OS2DASD.dmd

    K> To my big surprise however, booting from CD now also fails with an
    K> internal processing error, as soon as OS2DASD.dmd has been
    displayed
    K> as the last driver.

    SUSE Linux has very probably done something to your partition table.
    What exactly it has done could be one of several things, and it is not
    possible to know which without dumping the contents of your partition
    table in detail. You have two avenues along which you can proceed:
    Create some new OS/2 boot discs that use an updated DASD manager, or
    undo whatever it is that SUSE Linux has done to your partition table.
    I recommend inspecting your partition table carefully and in detail.

  3. Re: CD-Boot stops with error after OS2DASD.dmd

    On 25 Sep., 07:06, J de Boyne Pollard
    wrote:
    > K> To my big surprise however, booting from CD now also fails with an
    > K> internal processing error, as soon as OS2DASD.dmd has been
    > displayed as the last driver.
    >
    > SUSE Linux has very probably done something to your partition table.

    That's what I was afraid of :-(

    > What exactly it has done could be one of several things, and it is not
    > possible to know which without dumping the contents of your partition
    > table in detail. You have two avenues along which you can proceed:
    > Create some new OS/2 boot discs that use an updated DASD manager, or

    to the best of my knowledge that actually should be the latest one
    available. I just didn't expect it to fail so miserably and prevent
    booting at all, when there supposedly is something wrong with the
    partition table.

    > undo whatever it is that SUSE Linux has done to your partition table.
    > I recommend inspecting your partition table carefully and in detail.

    That's what I'm trying to do, but so far, neither FDSee 8.17 nor 9.01
    wants to start up in a Ubuntu Live- CD session. :-( I also couldn't
    find any error report in any of the /var/log files. Typing 'dfsee'
    from within the directory where it resides (owner: root, permissions:
    777) causes the bash to echo 'command not found', even though it shows
    up fine with 'ls'-al', also having the right file size. :-\

    Now I'm going to d/l and try the bootable version as a last resort.

  4. Re: CD-Boot stops with error after OS2DASD.dmd

    Kalium19@gmail.com schrieb:

    > On 25 Sep., 07:06, J de Boyne Pollard
    > wrote:
    > > K> To my big surprise however, booting from CD now also fails with an
    > > K> internal processing error, as soon as OS2DASD.dmd has been
    > > displayed as the last driver.
    > >
    > > SUSE Linux has very probably done something to your partition table.

    > That's what I was afraid of :-(
    >
    > > What exactly it has done could be one of several things, and it is not
    > > possible to know which without dumping the contents of your partition
    > > table in detail. You have two avenues along which you can proceed:
    > > Create some new OS/2 boot discs that use an updated DASD manager, or

    > to the best of my knowledge that actually should be the latest one
    > available. I just didn't expect it to fail so miserably and prevent
    > booting at all, when there supposedly is something wrong with the
    > partition table.
    >
    > > undo whatever it is that SUSE Linux has done to your partition table.
    > > I recommend inspecting your partition table carefully and in detail.

    > That's what I'm trying to do, but so far, neither FDSee 8.17 nor 9.01
    > wants to start up in a Ubuntu Live- CD session. :-( I also couldn't
    > find any error report in any of the /var/log files. Typing 'dfsee'
    > from within the directory where it resides (owner: root, permissions:
    > 777) causes the bash to echo 'command not found', even though it shows
    > up fine with 'ls'-al', also having the right file size. :-\
    >
    > Now I'm going to d/l and try the bootable version as a last resort.

    If you try to execute dfsee as root yo must type './dfsee',
    since . is not in the path for root.

    Hendrik

+ Reply to Thread