Converting font OFM files to AFM - OS2

This is a discussion on Converting font OFM files to AFM - OS2 ; From checking Google, I know that this is an old question that usually gets the answer "no" -- and often no answer at all. I found posts by Buddy Donelly from 1998, saying that conversion from OS/2's OFM font metric ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Converting font OFM files to AFM

    From checking Google, I know that this is an old question that
    usually gets the answer "no" -- and often no answer at all. I
    found posts by Buddy Donelly from 1998, saying that conversion
    from OS/2's OFM font metric file back to the AFM from which it
    was made is an arcane secret that nobody had then revealed.

    Nine years or so have gone by. Maybe things have changed. So
    may I ask: is there some way to convert OFMs to AFMs, please?

    (I have a large set of Souvenir I bought from Monotype in 1996
    which don't seem to have the AFMs anywhere. I expect they did
    exist; but several system and machine upgrades have happened.)

    TIA.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  2. Re: Converting font OFM files to AFM

    Andrew Stephenson wrote:
    > From checking Google, I know that this is an old question that
    > usually gets the answer "no" -- and often no answer at all. I
    > found posts by Buddy Donelly from 1998, saying that conversion
    > from OS/2's OFM font metric file back to the AFM from which it
    > was made is an arcane secret that nobody had then revealed.
    >
    > Nine years or so have gone by. Maybe things have changed. So
    > may I ask: is there some way to convert OFMs to AFMs, please?
    >
    > (I have a large set of Souvenir I bought from Monotype in 1996
    > which don't seem to have the AFMs anywhere. I expect they did
    > exist; but several system and machine upgrades have happened.)
    >
    > TIA.

    In years past, MonoType, Adobe, LinoType gave away AFM files freely. All
    you have to do is ask.

    Many ATM files are freely available on the Internet.

    BTW, MonoType and LinoType are currently both owned by the same parent
    corporation, Agfa, which is part of Bayer.

  3. Re: Converting font OFM files to AFM

    Sir:

    Andrew Stephenson wrote:
    > From checking Google, I know that this is an old question that
    > usually gets the answer "no" -- and often no answer at all. I
    > found posts by Buddy Donelly from 1998, saying that conversion
    > from OS/2's OFM font metric file back to the AFM from which it
    > was made is an arcane secret that nobody had then revealed.
    >
    > Nine years or so have gone by. Maybe things have changed. So
    > may I ask: is there some way to convert OFMs to AFMs, please?
    >
    > (I have a large set of Souvenir I bought from Monotype in 1996
    > which don't seem to have the AFMs anywhere. I expect they did
    > exist; but several system and machine upgrades have happened.)
    >
    > TIA.

    google on mmafm. It seems to be a conversion tool that makes AFM files.
    Don't know if it is useful for you.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: Converting font OFM files to AFM

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 01:15:01 UTC, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew Stephenson)
    wrote:

    > From checking Google, I know that this is an old question that
    > usually gets the answer "no" -- and often no answer at all. I
    > found posts by Buddy Donelly from 1998, saying that conversion
    > from OS/2's OFM font metric file back to the AFM from which it
    > was made is an arcane secret that nobody had then revealed.
    >
    > Nine years or so have gone by. Maybe things have changed. So
    > may I ask: is there some way to convert OFMs to AFMs, please?

    I know there's a tool on Hobbes (PFM2AFM) that will generate
    AFM files from a PFM file. I've always been a bit fuzzy about
    which file actually does what in ATM fonts; is PFM the Win*
    equivalent to AFM/OFM?

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Please take off hat when replying.

  5. Re: Converting font OFM files to AFM

    In article
    mail.me@reply.to.address "Alex Taylor" writes:

    > I know there's a tool on Hobbes (PFM2AFM) that will generate
    > AFM files from a PFM file. I've always been a bit fuzzy about
    > which file actually does what in ATM fonts; is PFM the Win*
    > equivalent to AFM/OFM?

    I have PFM2AFM in DOS form, from a time when it saved my life: a
    brand-new Type1 font package had no AFM (signs of the times), so
    I got the source (thanks to the author) and compiled it for DOS.
    Easily done, BTW, as it's a command line tool.

    I, too, am hazy about the alphabet soup of font-tech. PFA, PFB,
    PFM &c. But explanations "are readily available", as they say.

    AIUI the AFM (Adobe Font Metrics) is ASCII and conveys data like
    symbol widths and kerning tables. The OFM is for OS/2: a binary
    version of the AFM created during font installation. My hope is
    to convert the binary back to non-binary -- but to do it right.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  6. Re: Converting font OFM files to AFM

    In article <46f32224@kcnews01> Nobody@someplace.com "Nobody" writes:

    > In years past, MonoType, Adobe, LinoType gave away AFM files
    > freely. All you have to do is ask.
    >
    > Many ATM files are freely available on the Internet.

    That was my understanding. But (a) not all fonts are distributed
    with AFMs (see my reply to the PFB2AFM posting) and (b) a lengthy
    Google session failed to reveal any sources.

    > BTW, MonoType and LinoType are currently both owned by the same
    > parent corporation, Agfa, which is part of Bayer.

    Ta.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  7. Re: Converting font OFM files to AFM

    In article <46f35173$0$24292$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>
    wlhartzell@tx.rr.com "William L. Hartzell" writes:

    > google on mmafm. It seems to be a conversion tool that makes
    > AFM files.
    > Don't know if it is useful for you.

    Will do. (DOES.) Hmm... There may be something I can use there
    but it will call for experimentation; and even then it's not sure
    the data will be 100%. It's for extracting metrics from multiple
    master font packages. I am downloading the relevant packages (ie
    the mmafm source code (which will need tweaking) and the mm data)
    but would still be glad to find some resource that gives away the
    AFMs themselves. Ta so far.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  8. Re: Converting font OFM files to AFM

    Andrew Stephenson wrote:
    > In article
    > mail.me@reply.to.address "Alex Taylor" writes:
    >

    > I have PFM2AFM in DOS form, from a time when it saved my life: a
    > brand-new Type1 font package had no AFM (signs of the times), so
    > I got the source (thanks to the author) and compiled it for DOS.
    > Easily done, BTW, as it's a command line tool.
    >
    > I, too, am hazy about the alphabet soup of font-tech. PFA, PFB,
    > PFM &c. But explanations "are readily available", as they say.
    >
    > AIUI the AFM (Adobe Font Metrics) is ASCII and conveys data like
    > symbol widths and kerning tables. The OFM is for OS/2: a binary
    > version of the AFM created during font installation. My hope is
    > to convert the binary back to non-binary -- but to do it right.

    The OFM file begins with a Header, which describes the location of
    information within the file;

    For instance, locate the type face name near the end of the OFM file,
    with your hex editor. Note the hex location of the type face name. Then
    go up to the beginning of the file, and search for that hex number, and
    you will find the exact location of in the OFM Header of where it keeps
    track of the type face name.

    The locations are all the same in the OFM Headers. Most (if not all) are
    thirty-bit, and take-up 4 bytes.

    Just off the top of my head, there are locations for all of the text
    information, such as type face name, file name, attributes, ISO
    Ability/Properties, Character Widths, Italic, Mono-spaced, etc. It also
    shows the weight, which is usually the 05 00 00 00 in the OFM Header, or
    07 00 00 00 for a Bold font. There is not a check-sum, but the first
    line shows the size of the OFM file, in hex. This must be correct to
    avoid font failures.

    You can practice this, as I did, by renaming the information in a new ,
    known AFM file, for a file that you do have. Then install the file into
    OS/2. It is best to use a really small PFM/AFM files, to see where the
    information is placed in the OFM, and that location is described in the
    OFM Header.

    The ISO information is only found in the file's INF file, but if you
    edited that information into its AFM file, OS/2 Font Installer, will use
    that information and place it into the newly created OFM file.

  9. Re: Converting font OFM files to AFM

    On 21.09.07 16:04, Andrew Stephenson wrote:

    > In article "Alex Taylor" writes:
    >
    >> is PFM the Win* equivalent to AFM/OFM?

    No, it's just a binary version of AFM.

    > The OFM is for OS/2: a binary version of the AFM created during font
    > installation.

    Yes, only known in OS/2's version of ATM.

    > My hope is to convert the binary back to non-binary

    Such a tool doesn't exist.

    --
    Andreas Schnellbacher

  10. Re: Converting font OFM files to AFM

    In article <46f3ff99@kcnews01> Nobody@someplace.com "Nobody" writes:

    > The OFM file begins with a Header, which describes the location of
    > information within the file;
    >
    > [useful discussion of aspects of the OFM file strcuture]

    I devoutly hope I don't have to do a reverse-engineer of the OFM.
    I have done such in the past; but it's usually better to get
    hold of the formal format spec. If needs must, okay, I'll do it.
    If I must, I'll look into rolling my own OFM2AFM. Except, if was
    that easy, why has no needy body done it already?

    Meanwhile, I am keeping my fingers crossed and am busily throwing
    my bread upon the waters. But I'll keep your notes, ta.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  11. Re: Converting font OFM files to AFM

    In article <5lifl0F8e5pkU1@mid.uni-berlin.de>
    aschn@despammed.com "Andreas Schnellbacher" writes:

    > On 21.09.07 16:04, Andrew Stephenson wrote:
    >
    > > My hope is to convert the binary back to non-binary

    > Such a tool doesn't exist.

    So I may have to write it. Zot. Further to an earlier exchange
    of posts: who keeps the formal format specification for OFMs, if
    anyone? Somebody must have it.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  12. Re: Converting font OFM files to AFM

    Andrew Stephenson wrote:
    > In article <5lifl0F8e5pkU1@mid.uni-berlin.de>
    > aschn@despammed.com "Andreas Schnellbacher" writes:
    >
    >> On 21.09.07 16:04, Andrew Stephenson wrote:

    > So I may have to write it. Zot. Further to an earlier exchange
    > of posts: who keeps the formal format specification for OFMs, if
    > anyone? Somebody must have it.

    I'm sorry to report that the dissecting that I did was from some time ago.

    And any and all of that information is locked-up in my old Thinkpad's
    Drives.

    But, I *think* I did read something about the OFM format. Probably in a
    book. I can't remember.

  13. Re: Converting font OFM files to AFM

    In article <46f49e51$1@kcnews01> Nobody@someplace.com "Nobody" writes:

    > Andrew Stephenson wrote:
    > > In article <5lifl0F8e5pkU1@mid.uni-berlin.de>
    > > aschn@despammed.com "Andreas Schnellbacher" writes:
    > >
    > >> On 21.09.07 16:04, Andrew Stephenson wrote:

    > > So I may have to write it. Zot. Further to an earlier exchange
    > > of posts: who keeps the formal format specification for OFMs, if
    > > anyone? Somebody must have it.

    > I'm sorry to report that the dissecting that I did was from some time ago.
    >
    > And any and all of that information is locked-up in my old Thinkpad's
    > Drives.
    >
    > But, I *think* I did read something about the OFM format. Probably in a
    > book. I can't remember.

    A part of me feels "someone" should try to salvage whatever
    info exists, as a community benefit; but another part says it'd
    be quicker for one to go to the font foundries for AFMs.

    Last night I found a copy of the AFM spec on the Adobe site, as
    part of a PDF defining four kinds of related file formats. Its
    complexities look non-trivial yet manageable: not a programming
    job for an idle moment, just a slog through loads of parameters
    and their options. The file is "5004.AFM_Spec.pdf".
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  14. Re: Converting font OFM files to AFM

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 14:04:08 UTC, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew Stephenson)
    wrote:

    > > I know there's a tool on Hobbes (PFM2AFM) that will generate
    > > AFM files from a PFM file. I've always been a bit fuzzy about
    > > which file actually does what in ATM fonts; is PFM the Win*
    > > equivalent to AFM/OFM?

    > I have PFM2AFM in DOS form, from a time when it saved my life: a
    > brand-new Type1 font package had no AFM (signs of the times), so
    > I got the source (thanks to the author) and compiled it for DOS.
    > Easily done, BTW, as it's a command line tool.
    >
    > AIUI the AFM (Adobe Font Metrics) is ASCII and conveys data like
    > symbol widths and kerning tables. The OFM is for OS/2: a binary
    > version of the AFM created during font installation. My hope is
    > to convert the binary back to non-binary -- but to do it right.

    That's my recollection as well.

    But that means you can generate the AFM from the PFM, right?
    (I think all ATM fonts come with PFM files, don't they?)

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Please take off hat when replying.

  15. Re: Converting font OFM files to AFM

    In article
    mail.me@reply.to.address "Alex Taylor" writes:

    > On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 14:04:08 UTC, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew Stephenson)
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I have PFM2AFM in DOS form, from a time when it saved my life: a
    > > brand-new Type1 font package had no AFM (signs of the times), so
    > > I got the source (thanks to the author) and compiled it for DOS.
    > > Easily done, BTW, as it's a command line tool.
    > >
    > > AIUI the AFM (Adobe Font Metrics) is ASCII [...]

    > That's my recollection as well.
    >
    > But that means you can generate the AFM from the PFM, right?
    > (I think all ATM fonts come with PFM files, don't they?)

    In theory. I've been quietly glossing over details that are
    true but don't contribute much to this discussion. The Souvenir
    font set which I want to work on only exist here in PFB and OFM.
    If I could gain access to the Monotype CD, from which I unlocked
    them, I might find the missing AFMs (or PFMs) there. Alas, 1996
    is long ago and far away, much water has flowed under bridges &c
    -- hence the palaver. Why are those fonts people simultaneously
    so very clever and stupidly impractical?

    If I asked ITC (who orignated Souvenir) or Agfa (AIUI, owners of
    Monotype, who sold the fonts) do you suppose they'd cough up the
    missing AFMs? Maybe I should ask in comp.fonts. Hmm...
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  16. Re: Converting font OFM files to AFM

    On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 10:59:26 UTC, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew
    Stephenson) wrote:

    > In theory. I've been quietly glossing over details that are
    > true but don't contribute much to this discussion. The Souvenir
    > font set which I want to work on only exist here in PFB and OFM.
    > If I could gain access to the Monotype CD, from which I unlocked
    > them, I might find the missing AFMs (or PFMs) there. Alas, 1996
    > is long ago and far away, much water has flowed under bridges &c
    > -- hence the palaver. Why are those fonts people simultaneously
    > so very clever and stupidly impractical?
    >
    > If I asked ITC (who orignated Souvenir) or Agfa (AIUI, owners of
    > Monotype, who sold the fonts) do you suppose they'd cough up the
    > missing AFMs? Maybe I should ask in comp.fonts. Hmm...

    In this particular case.....! You don't say which specific Souvenir AFMs
    you need, but...

    http://www.tavi.co.uk/afm.zip

    contains the ones I have (and a few others)...it may help.
    --
    Bob Eager

  17. Re: Converting font OFM files to AFM

    In article <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-zmElDQddXlmM@rikki.tavi.co.uk>
    rde42@spamcop.net "Bob Eager" writes:

    > On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 10:59:26 UTC, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew
    > Stephenson) wrote:
    >
    > > [needing some AFMs]

    > In this particular case.....! You don't say which specific
    > Souvenir AFMs you need, but...
    >
    > http://www.tavi.co.uk/afm.zip
    >
    > contains the ones I have (and a few others)...it may help.

    Sir, you are a scholar and a gent. :-) The ye-gods-huge set of
    AFMs in that package certainly covers _my_ Souvenirs. I went a
    tad overboard, not sure why except that I like that face.

    IOW, italic & roman of Light, Medium, DemiBold, Bold:
    SUBI____ SUB_____ SUDI____ SUD_____
    SULI____ SUL_____ SUMI____ SUM_____

    The other AFMs I shall browse at leisure. Many thanks.

    Meanwhile, I suppose the investigations done so far as a result
    of this search suggest "OFM2AFM" is doable but would be a slog.
    Maybe one for a dull few evenings, for some keen philanthropist
    programmer who has amassed the necessary info? Perhaps in 'C',
    to run from a command line, so that it could be ported easily?
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  18. Re: Converting font OFM files to AFM

    On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:57:50 UTC, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew
    Stephenson) wrote:

    > In article <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-zmElDQddXlmM@rikki.tavi.co.uk>
    > rde42@spamcop.net "Bob Eager" writes:
    >
    > > On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 10:59:26 UTC, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew
    > > Stephenson) wrote:
    > >
    > > > [needing some AFMs]

    > > In this particular case.....! You don't say which specific
    > > Souvenir AFMs you need, but...
    > >
    > > http://www.tavi.co.uk/afm.zip
    > >
    > > contains the ones I have (and a few others)...it may help.

    > Sir, you are a scholar and a gent. :-) The ye-gods-huge set of
    > AFMs in that package certainly covers _my_ Souvenirs.

    You will notice that it covers only a portion of the alphabet. I have
    the rest!

    I think I saved them from the same Monotype CD you mentioned...

    --
    Bob Eager

  19. Re: Converting font OFM files to AFM

    In article <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-wlqhXWlBo4WM@rikki.tavi.co.uk>
    rde42@spamcop.net "Bob Eager" writes:

    > You will notice that it covers only a portion of the alphabet.
    > I have the rest!
    >
    > I think I saved them from the same Monotype CD you mentioned...

    Great zot!

    I am now going to kick myself. :-) But to start with, I realise
    my wording was vague and suggested I now longer have the CDs; in
    fact, what I lack are the unlocking codes. Now for the kicking.
    I assumed (ever so (dis)trustingly) that Monotype had locked all
    info on that CD except the freebie font; the thought of scanning
    for AFMs never occurred to me.

    Having now scanned the CD, I see I have access to loads of AFMs.
    *sigh* Can I offer you any in return? ;-) Look at it this way:
    we had to go through this whole palaver, in order that I'd think
    of scanning the CD, so it has been beneficial. Er...?

    Thank you, again. (And the rest of you.)

    I love a happy ending.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  20. Re: Converting font OFM files to AFM

    On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:11:39 UTC, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew
    Stephenson) wrote:

    > In article <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-wlqhXWlBo4WM@rikki.tavi.co.uk>
    > rde42@spamcop.net "Bob Eager" writes:
    >
    > > You will notice that it covers only a portion of the alphabet.
    > > I have the rest!
    > >
    > > I think I saved them from the same Monotype CD you mentioned...

    > Great zot!
    >
    > I am now going to kick myself. :-) But to start with, I realise
    > my wording was vague and suggested I now longer have the CDs; in
    > fact, what I lack are the unlocking codes. Now for the kicking.
    > I assumed (ever so (dis)trustingly) that Monotype had locked all
    > info on that CD except the freebie font; the thought of scanning
    > for AFMs never occurred to me.
    >
    > Having now scanned the CD, I see I have access to loads of AFMs.
    > *sigh* Can I offer you any in return? ;-)

    That's exactly what I did - saved them all!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast