Life of CD install disks - OS2

This is a discussion on Life of CD install disks - OS2 ; I'm just doing a bit of thinking ahead. I have various OS/2 and ECS install sets of CDs (and even floppies). Regarding the CDs, one sometimes hears about CDs degrading and becoming unreadable. Has anyone got a view on the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Life of CD install disks

  1. Life of CD install disks

    I'm just doing a bit of thinking ahead. I have various OS/2 and ECS
    install sets of CDs (and even floppies). Regarding the CDs, one
    sometimes hears about CDs degrading and becoming unreadable. Has anyone
    got a view on the likely lifespan of the install CDs? I presume they are
    'good quality' whatever that may be, but I've no idea on how long they
    will continue to be useable. The danger scenario is that one day I come
    to do a re-install and find I can't because of bad disks.
    Peter

  2. Re: Life of CD install disks

    On 18 Set, 09:48, Peter J Seymour wrote:
    > I'm just doing a bit of thinking ahead. I have various OS/2 and ECS
    > install sets of CDs (and even floppies). Regarding the CDs, one
    > sometimes hears about CDs degrading and becoming unreadable. Has anyone
    > got a view on the likely lifespan of the install CDs? I presume they are
    > 'good quality' whatever that may be, but I've no idea on how long they
    > will continue to be useable. The danger scenario is that one day I come
    > to do a re-install and find I can't because of bad disks.
    > Peter


    It depends on many factors.

    I've still got two old Kodak Gold CD-R, lasted 10 years and more,
    still useful with no data loss (apparently). In the meantime, some
    other CD didn't get over two years. This is harmfully bad - I lost an
    entire recording of one of my best concerts.

    Mentore


  3. Re: Life of CD install disks

    Peter J Seymour wrote:
    > I'm just doing a bit of thinking ahead. I have various OS/2 and ECS
    > install sets of CDs (and even floppies). Regarding the CDs, one
    > sometimes hears about CDs degrading and becoming unreadable. Has anyone
    > got a view on the likely lifespan of the install CDs? I presume they are
    > 'good quality' whatever that may be, but I've no idea on how long they
    > will continue to be useable. The danger scenario is that one day I come
    > to do a re-install and find I can't because of bad disks.
    > Peter


    It is my understanding that it is rewritable CD's that go bad over time.
    It has something to do with the blue dye that is used in their
    manufacture. I haven't heard that "burn once" CD's have a limited lifespan.

    -Philip Wright

  4. Re: Life of CD install disks

    Sir:

    Philip Wright wrote:
    > Peter J Seymour wrote:
    >> I'm just doing a bit of thinking ahead. I have various OS/2 and ECS
    >> install sets of CDs (and even floppies). Regarding the CDs, one
    >> sometimes hears about CDs degrading and becoming unreadable. Has
    >> anyone got a view on the likely lifespan of the install CDs? I presume
    >> they are 'good quality' whatever that may be, but I've no idea on how
    >> long they will continue to be useable. The danger scenario is that one
    >> day I come to do a re-install and find I can't because of bad disks.
    >> Peter

    >
    > It is my understanding that it is rewritable CD's that go bad over time.
    > It has something to do with the blue dye that is used in their
    > manufacture. I haven't heard that "burn once" CD's have a limited lifespan.
    >
    > -Philip Wright

    Oh, yah. They do have a limited life. The poly-plastic coating can
    come off if exposed to water, light, or heat and time. I personally
    make CD-R copies and periodically redo them and check that they work.

    BTW, a friendly reminder, it is time to clean out the dust bunnies from
    the insides of your computers, folks!
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  5. Re: Life of CD install disks

    In article
    pvwspam@bellsouth.net "Philip Wright" writes:

    > It is my understanding that it is rewritable CD's that go bad over time.
    > It has something to do with the blue dye that is used in their
    > manufacture. I haven't heard that "burn once" CD's have a limited lifespan.


    I have never had even one rewritable CD that took so much as the
    first recording properly. Could be me but it put me "write" off
    them, for life.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson


  6. Re: Life of CD install disks

    Peter J Seymour wrote:
    > I'm just doing a bit of thinking ahead. I have various OS/2 and ECS
    > install sets of CDs (and even floppies). Regarding the CDs, one
    > sometimes hears about CDs degrading and becoming unreadable. Has anyone
    > got a view on the likely lifespan of the install CDs? I presume they are
    > 'good quality' whatever that may be, but I've no idea on how long they
    > will continue to be useable. The danger scenario is that one day I come
    > to do a re-install and find I can't because of bad disks.


    The IBM CDs that OS/2 shipped on were "pressed" CDs that should have a
    fairly long lifespan, at least 10 years, maybe 100 if they are stored
    carefully. The enemies of CDs are moisture and light so store them in a
    dry, dark environment for best results. With that said, though, I
    really don't think the lack of an install CD will be the trigger that
    will end use of OS/2. More likely, it will be lack of hardware that it
    will run on or lack of critical software, such as a browser, or lack of
    interest in using it.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  7. Re: Life of CD install disks

    In <13f0jah92eju876@corp.supernews.com>, on 09/18/2007
    at 03:05 PM, "David T. Johnson" said:



    >Peter J Seymour wrote:
    >> I'm just doing a bit of thinking ahead. I have various OS/2 and ECS
    >> install sets of CDs (and even floppies). Regarding the CDs, one
    >> sometimes hears about CDs degrading and becoming unreadable. Has anyone
    >> got a view on the likely lifespan of the install CDs? I presume they are
    >> 'good quality' whatever that may be, but I've no idea on how long they
    >> will continue to be useable. The danger scenario is that one day I come
    >> to do a re-install and find I can't because of bad disks.


    >The IBM CDs that OS/2 shipped on were "pressed" CDs that should have a
    >fairly long lifespan, at least 10 years, maybe 100 if they are stored
    >carefully. The enemies of CDs are moisture and light so store them in a
    >dry, dark environment for best results. With that said, though, I
    >really don't think the lack of an install CD will be the trigger that
    >will end use of OS/2. More likely, it will be lack of hardware that it
    >will run on or lack of critical software, such as a browser, or lack of
    >interest in using it.



    Are you still running the T40 something Thinkpad, or have your tried a
    newer Thinkpad?




  8. Re: Life of CD install disks

    Peter J Seymour wrote:
    > I'm just doing a bit of thinking ahead. I have various OS/2 and ECS
    > install sets of CDs (and even floppies). Regarding the CDs, one
    > sometimes hears about CDs degrading and becoming unreadable. Has anyone
    > got a view on the likely lifespan of the install CDs? I presume they are
    > 'good quality' whatever that may be, but I've no idea on how long they
    > will continue to be useable. The danger scenario is that one day I come
    > to do a re-install and find I can't because of bad disks.
    > Peter


    Stepping on them kills them immediately. (g)

    Not that I've done that, of course. (g)

    Cover them up. Store them properly.


  9. Re: Life of CD install disks


    "Peter J Seymour" wrote in message
    news:fcnvm6$qjd$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk...
    > I'm just doing a bit of thinking ahead. I have various OS/2 and ECS
    > install sets of CDs (and even floppies). Regarding the CDs, one
    > sometimes hears about CDs degrading and becoming unreadable. Has anyone
    > got a view on the likely lifespan of the install CDs? I presume they are
    > 'good quality' whatever that may be, but I've no idea on how long they
    > will continue to be useable. The danger scenario is that one day I come
    > to do a re-install and find I can't because of bad disks.
    > Peter



    Although a CD should last for a very long time...
    I've had a few just die for no known reason.

    For the price of the media...
    why not just make copies?

    As to floppies...you can make image files and also burn those to a CD.
    In general, a CD should last a lot longer than a floppy...

    but there's no way to predict...

    I've still got floppies that are good after 20 years...
    and I've had some new ones die in two weeks.



  10. Re: Life of CD install disks

    In article
    philo@privacy.net "philo" writes:

    > I've still got floppies that are good after 20 years...
    > and I've had some new ones die in two weeks.


    I have several I still use for daily short term backups (to fill
    in between weekly XCOPYs of the (non-OS) main HDD to a USB HDD).
    Every 4-5 years, I either replace them with fresh (from a rather
    large stock I somehow came by when floppies were obviously going
    to be in use for a long time ) or I copy everything to the HDD
    then reformat the floppy and copy everything back again. (On the
    label I then note the reformat date.) One needs to remember that
    the track formatting info is also liable to deteriorate. ;-)
    --
    Andrew Stephenson


  11. Re: Life of CD install disks

    philo wrote:
    ....
    > I've still got floppies that are good after 20 years...
    > and I've had some new ones die in two weeks.
    >

    Seems like the quality of new floppies has dropped a lot.
    Dave

  12. Re: Life of CD install disks

    xydzbcae@nospam.net wrote:
    > In <13f0jah92eju876@corp.supernews.com>, on 09/18/2007
    > at 03:05 PM, "David T. Johnson" said:
    >
    >
    >
    >> Peter J Seymour wrote:
    >>> I'm just doing a bit of thinking ahead. I have various OS/2 and ECS
    >>> install sets of CDs (and even floppies). Regarding the CDs, one
    >>> sometimes hears about CDs degrading and becoming unreadable. Has anyone
    >>> got a view on the likely lifespan of the install CDs? I presume they are
    >>> 'good quality' whatever that may be, but I've no idea on how long they
    >>> will continue to be useable. The danger scenario is that one day I come
    >>> to do a re-install and find I can't because of bad disks.

    >
    >> The IBM CDs that OS/2 shipped on were "pressed" CDs that should have a
    >> fairly long lifespan, at least 10 years, maybe 100 if they are stored
    >> carefully. The enemies of CDs are moisture and light so store them in a
    >> dry, dark environment for best results. With that said, though, I
    >> really don't think the lack of an install CD will be the trigger that
    >> will end use of OS/2. More likely, it will be lack of hardware that it
    >> will run on or lack of critical software, such as a browser, or lack of
    >> interest in using it.

    >
    >
    > Are you still running the T40 something Thinkpad, or have your tried a
    > newer Thinkpad?
    >
    >
    >

    Still running the T40. I think that OS/2 will run on the T4x thinkpads,
    for sure. Don't know about the newer T6x series but I wouldn't expect a
    lot.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  13. Re: Life of CD install disks

    In <13f53jbk5lhqn39@corp.supernews.com>, on 09/20/2007
    at 08:07 AM, "David T. Johnson" said:



    >xydzbcae@nospam.net wrote:
    >> In <13f0jah92eju876@corp.supernews.com>, on 09/18/2007
    >> at 03:05 PM, "David T. Johnson" said:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> Peter J Seymour wrote:
    >>>> I'm just doing a bit of thinking ahead. I have various OS/2 and ECS
    >>>> install sets of CDs (and even floppies). Regarding the CDs, one
    >>>> sometimes hears about CDs degrading and becoming unreadable. Has anyone
    >>>> got a view on the likely lifespan of the install CDs? I presume they are
    >>>> 'good quality' whatever that may be, but I've no idea on how long they
    >>>> will continue to be useable. The danger scenario is that one day I come
    >>>> to do a re-install and find I can't because of bad disks.

    >>
    >>> The IBM CDs that OS/2 shipped on were "pressed" CDs that should have a
    >>> fairly long lifespan, at least 10 years, maybe 100 if they are stored
    >>> carefully. The enemies of CDs are moisture and light so store them in a
    >>> dry, dark environment for best results. With that said, though, I
    >>> really don't think the lack of an install CD will be the trigger that
    >>> will end use of OS/2. More likely, it will be lack of hardware that it
    >>> will run on or lack of critical software, such as a browser, or lack of
    >>> interest in using it.

    >>
    >>
    >> Are you still running the T40 something Thinkpad, or have your tried a
    >> newer Thinkpad?
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >Still running the T40. I think that OS/2 will run on the T4x thinkpads,
    >for sure. Don't know about the newer T6x series but I wouldn't expect a
    >lot.


    Yes, I've seen drivers from IBM for the T43p and the earlier ones, so it
    does run on the T4x series. Which does not help when you can't buy them
    now. I've seen claims from ecs-types that it runs on a T61, but others
    say it wouldn't even install. I figures your comments can be trusted, so
    I asked.

    Thanks.




  14. Re: Life of CD install disks

    eaxyzdbc@nospam.net wrote:

    ....

    >>Still running the T40. I think that OS/2 will run on the T4x thinkpads,
    >>for sure. Don't know about the newer T6x series but I wouldn't expect a
    >>lot.

    >
    >
    > Yes, I've seen drivers from IBM for the T43p and the earlier ones, so it
    > does run on the T4x series. Which does not help when you can't buy them
    > now.


    ....
    T4x's are still available as refurbished machines. Good as new provided
    that you put in a new hard disk to be on the safe side. Also quite cheap.

    Peter

  15. Re: Life of CD install disks


    "Dave Yeo" wrote in message
    news:U1kIi.73249$bO6.33487@edtnps89...
    > philo wrote:
    > ...
    > > I've still got floppies that are good after 20 years...
    > > and I've had some new ones die in two weeks.
    > >

    > Seems like the quality of new floppies has dropped a lot.
    > Dave



    Yep
    I can definately say: Don't buy from Radio Shack...
    those were the ones that lasted two weeks.

    OTOH: I have some NEC DOS 3.3 install floppies that are still good.
    Also my o/s 2.1 floppies are still good!



  16. Re: Life of CD install disks

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 08:48:37 +0100, Peter J Seymour
    wrote:

    > I'm just doing a bit of thinking ahead. I have various OS/2 and ECS
    > install sets of CDs (and even floppies). Regarding the CDs, one
    > sometimes hears about CDs degrading and becoming unreadable. Has anyone
    > got a view on the likely lifespan of the install CDs? I presume they are
    > 'good quality' whatever that may be, but I've no idea on how long they
    > will continue to be useable. The danger scenario is that one day I come
    > to do a re-install and find I can't because of bad disks.


    So extract the .ISO image and keep it on a hard disk somewhere. Then you can
    burn a new CD should you feel the need.

  17. Re: Life of CD install disks

    In , on 09/20/2007
    at 06:08 PM, Peter J Seymour said:



    >eaxyzdbc@nospam.net wrote:


    >....


    >>>Still running the T40. I think that OS/2 will run on the T4x thinkpads,
    >>>for sure. Don't know about the newer T6x series but I wouldn't expect a
    >>>lot.

    >>
    >>
    >> Yes, I've seen drivers from IBM for the T43p and the earlier ones, so it
    >> does run on the T4x series. Which does not help when you can't buy them
    >> now.


    >....
    >T4x's are still available as refurbished machines. Good as new provided
    >that you put in a new hard disk to be on the safe side. Also quite cheap.


    That's a fair point. I would consider a T43p from IBM, but not from other
    suppliers. I haven't seen any from IBM is sometime. Which is why I
    walloking at the T61.




    >Peter



  18. Re: Life of CD install disks

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 08:48:37 +0100, Peter J Seymour
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I'm just doing a bit of thinking ahead. I have various OS/2 and ECS
    >>install sets of CDs (and even floppies). Regarding the CDs, one
    >>sometimes hears about CDs degrading and becoming unreadable. Has anyone
    >>got a view on the likely lifespan of the install CDs? I presume they are
    >>'good quality' whatever that may be, but I've no idea on how long they
    >>will continue to be useable. The danger scenario is that one day I come
    >>to do a re-install and find I can't because of bad disks.

    >
    >
    > So extract the .ISO image and keep it on a hard disk somewhere. Then you can
    > burn a new CD should you feel the need.

    Seems a straightforward idea. I'll have to look into it.
    Thanks
    Peter

  19. Re: Life of CD install disks

    >> So extract the .ISO image and keep it on a hard disk somewhere. Then
    >> you can burn a new CD should you feel the need.


    > Seems a straightforward idea. I'll have to look into it.


    That's what I do, actually. I keep a copy of eCS hidden on a server
    somewhere online that only I know about in case I hose my CDs somehow.
    That's an excellent idea and a good way to go about covering your butt.

    I do, though, keep an image of my eCS install on tape with the needed
    installation software in a firesafe also...just in case something happens.

    --Sean

    --
    Sean Dennis * sean@outpostbbs.net * http://outpostbbs.net
    Author of Cheepware BBS doors and sysop utilities
    SysOp of Outpost BBS running Telegard/2 under eComStation 1.2

  20. Re: Life of CD install disks

    in 228383 20070921 091205 Peter J Seymour wrote:
    >Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    >> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 08:48:37 +0100, Peter J Seymour
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>I'm just doing a bit of thinking ahead. I have various OS/2 and ECS
    >>>install sets of CDs (and even floppies). Regarding the CDs, one
    >>>sometimes hears about CDs degrading and becoming unreadable. Has anyone
    >>>got a view on the likely lifespan of the install CDs? I presume they are
    >>>'good quality' whatever that may be, but I've no idea on how long they
    >>>will continue to be useable. The danger scenario is that one day I come
    >>>to do a re-install and find I can't because of bad disks.

    >>
    >>
    >> So extract the .ISO image and keep it on a hard disk somewhere. Then you can
    >> burn a new CD should you feel the need.

    >Seems a straightforward idea. I'll have to look into it.
    >Thanks
    >Peter


    So we use the hard disk to backup our backups of the hard disk? ;-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast