DOSBox for OS/2 - OS2

This is a discussion on DOSBox for OS/2 - OS2 ; Now, why, when OS/2 has such a great DOS emulator, would one even consider DOSbox. Well, my 3 Ghz Box will not start one program that I still use - GeoWorks. (Was GEOS for Commodore 64, PC-Geos for XT's, then ...

  1. DOSBox for OS/2

    Now, why, when OS/2 has such a great DOS emulator, would one even
    consider DOSbox. Well, my 3 Ghz Box will not start one program that I
    still use - GeoWorks. (Was GEOS for Commodore 64, PC-Geos for XT's,
    then GeoWorks Ensemble, then New Deal, and finally now Breadbox
    Ensemble) Even those "slow-down" TSR's would not get this one
    started. This program worked under plain DOS and Windooze, but not
    OS/2. This program now works wonderfully under DOSbox - in a window
    to boot or full screen.
    DOSbox was ported for you "Gamesters." So if you can't get those
    old DOS games going under OS/2-DOS because of processor speeds, gobs
    of memory or whatever , give DOSbox for OS/2 a try. I am VERY
    pleased. I no long have to reboot to DOS to run this "oldie but
    goodie."

    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

    It is a WARPIN package so easy install and removal

    Paul

    --

  2. Re: DOSBox for OS/2

    On 5 Set, 05:27, "PaulRS" wrote:
    > Now, why, when OS/2 has such a great DOS emulator, would one even
    > consider DOSbox. Well, my 3 Ghz Box will not start one program that I
    > still use - GeoWorks. (Was GEOS for Commodore 64, PC-Geos for XT's,
    > then GeoWorks Ensemble, then New Deal, and finally now Breadbox
    > Ensemble) Even those "slow-down" TSR's would not get this one
    > started. This program worked under plain DOS and Windooze, but not
    > OS/2. This program now works wonderfully under DOSbox - in a window
    > to boot or full screen.
    > DOSbox was ported for you "Gamesters." So if you can't get those
    > old DOS games going under OS/2-DOS because of processor speeds, gobs
    > of memory or whatever , give DOSbox for OS/2 a try. I am VERY
    > pleased. I no long have to reboot to DOS to run this "oldie but
    > goodie."
    >
    > http://dosbox.sourceforge.net
    >
    > It is a WARPIN package so easy install and removal

    Not to note that DOSBox has a complete sound blaster emulation, while
    the Dos virtual Machine on OS/2 relies on OS/2 drivers and VDD - not
    always available, until Martin Kiewitz (heil, heil) completes his
    VSOUND.

    Mentore

  3. Re: DOSBox for OS/2

    Hi Paul

    PaulRS wrote:
    > Now, why, when OS/2 has such a great DOS emulator, would one even
    > consider DOSbox. Well, my 3 Ghz Box will not start one program that I
    > still use - GeoWorks. (Was GEOS for Commodore 64, PC-Geos for XT's,
    > then GeoWorks Ensemble, then New Deal, and finally now Breadbox
    > Ensemble) Even those "slow-down" TSR's would not get this one
    > started. This program worked under plain DOS and Windooze, but not
    > OS/2. This program now works wonderfully under DOSbox - in a window
    > to boot or full screen.
    > DOSbox was ported for you "Gamesters." So if you can't get those
    > old DOS games going under OS/2-DOS because of processor speeds, gobs
    > of memory or whatever , give DOSbox for OS/2 a try. I am VERY
    > pleased. I no long have to reboot to DOS to run this "oldie but
    > goodie."
    >
    > http://dosbox.sourceforge.net
    >
    > It is a WARPIN package so easy install and removal
    >
    > Paul

    Got to agree - but you missed an important point (made in another post
    by Mentore); Tada! Sound!

    I have a mainboard with an nForce CK804/ALC850 sound/mixer chipset which
    uses the uniaud driver for sound in eCS. There is no DOS support in
    uniaud but DOSBox provides a choice of Soundblaster or Gravis UltraSound
    emulation which works fairly well for a lot of games that have either of
    those cards in their setup list.

    You also missed that the speed that DOSBox runs a game at can be varied
    thus making ancient games, such as Digger circa 1983, which tend to zoom
    around far too quickly very playable.

    Regards

    Pete

  4. Re: DOSBox for OS/2

    On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 03:27:13 UTC, "PaulRS" wrote:

    > Now, why, when OS/2 has such a great DOS emulator, would one even
    > consider DOSbox. Well, my 3 Ghz Box will not start one program that I
    > still use - GeoWorks...
    >
    > http://dosbox.sourceforge.net
    >
    > It is a WARPIN package so easy install and removal

    Hmmmm... I have such a program, except that it worked for 10 years until I
    put in a new motherboard -- or that *might* have been the cause of its
    starting to fail horribly on occasion. (So why haven't I replaced the
    stupid mobo? Don't ask.)

    Must try this; would be much better than running my financial program on
    my laptop with the C: drive networked to the destop! Thanks for the
    pointer.

    --
    Dan Drake
    dd@dandrake.com

  5. Re: DOSBox for OS/2

    On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 18:56:45 UTC, "Dan Drake" wrote:

    > On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 03:27:13 UTC, "PaulRS" wrote:
    >
    > > Now, why, when OS/2 has such a great DOS emulator, would one even
    > > consider DOSbox. Well, my 3 Ghz Box will not start one program that I
    > > still use - GeoWorks...
    > >
    > > http://dosbox.sourceforge.net
    > >
    > > It is a WARPIN package so easy install and removal

    > Hmmmm... I have such a program, except that it worked for 10 years until I
    > put in a new motherboard -- or that *might* have been the cause of its
    > starting to fail horribly on occasion. (So why haven't I replaced the
    > stupid mobo? Don't ask.)
    >
    > Must try this; would be much better than running my financial program on
    > my laptop with the C: drive networked to the destop! Thanks for the
    > pointer.

    You can actually install GeoWorks in the DOSbox. When you do you will
    need to change the filesystem in GEOS.INI. It comes up "ms4.geo"
    (microsoft). Change it to "os2.geo" and your program should start
    fine. Not changing it gives you a "no fonts (KR29)" error. Have
    fun!!