Help getting copied Window 98 booting - OS2

This is a discussion on Help getting copied Window 98 booting - OS2 ; I have just "cloned" my 6 GB laptop drive onto a 40 GB laptop drive. I put this in quotes as I wanted to resize partitions in the process, so I created the partitions with DFSee and then used FC/2 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Help getting copied Window 98 booting

  1. Help getting copied Window 98 booting

    I have just "cloned" my 6 GB laptop drive onto a 40 GB laptop drive. I put
    this in quotes as I wanted to resize partitions in the process, so I
    created the partitions with DFSee and then used FC/2 and xcopy to copy the
    files to the new partitions. After the copy was done I swapped the drives
    and used my DFSee CD to fix the LVM information.

    This worked find for my eCS 1.03 partition, but Windows 98 does not boot.
    I assume this means that one or more critical boot files are not in the
    appropriate position for booting. I guess this would be easy to correct
    if I had a Windows 98 boot disk, but all I have is a ThinkPad system
    restore disk that would replace my current system. I thought perhaps I
    could get around this by using the "Run DOS from" approach to boot a
    window from the C: drive, but when I tried it all I got was a " I9990305"
    error, which I assume indicates the same as a no-boot from Boot Manager.

    So does anyone have a boot diskette image for Windows 98 I can use to "SYS
    C:" the partition with? If so, can I use it with "Run DOS from" or will I
    have to create an actual diskette for this? The last line of C:\MSDOS.SYS
    is "WinVer=4.10.2222" and I do see the various hidden system files in the
    root directory. If I am not correct about using "SYS C:" to fix this,
    where can I find a utility to fix this?

    -- Dave
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    dhdurgeeverizonnet
    -----------------------------------------------------------


  2. Re: Help getting copied Window 98 booting

    On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:08:39 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, me@privacy.net wrote:

    > This worked find for my eCS 1.03 partition, but Windows 98 does not boot.
    > I assume this means that one or more critical boot files are not in the
    > appropriate position for booting.


    It's almost certainly worse than that. Win98 on FAT uses directory entries that
    OS/2 knows nothing about to provide long file names and if you copy it from
    OS/2, it's likely to trash the filenames and directory names. You probably need
    to boot Win98 to copy Win98!

    Tried bootdisk.org?

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  3. Re: Help getting copied Window 98 booting

    In , on 08/28/2007
    at 05:31 PM, "Trevor Hemsley"
    said:

    >On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:08:39 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, me@privacy.net
    >wrote:


    >> This worked find for my eCS 1.03 partition, but Windows 98 does not boot.
    >> I assume this means that one or more critical boot files are not in the
    >> appropriate position for booting.


    >It's almost certainly worse than that. Win98 on FAT uses directory
    >entries that OS/2 knows nothing about to provide long file names and if
    >you copy it from OS/2, it's likely to trash the filenames and directory
    >names. You probably need to boot Win98 to copy Win98!


    The partition is FAT32, not FAT, and I have the FAT32.ifs installed. So I
    don't think that is the problem. I just tried using DFSee to replace the
    boot sector, but that did not change the error I get from the "Run DOS
    from" prompt. I will try an actual boot and see if that makes a
    difference, but I don't expect any.

    >Tried bootdisk.org?


    I downloaded the Windows 98 Second Edition boot diskette from there. It
    appears to be a Win32 executable, so I will need to boot a Windows system
    to create it on. Hopefully this will do the job.

    -- Dave
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    dhdurgeeverizonnet
    -----------------------------------------------------------


  4. Re: Help getting copied Window 98 booting

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 01:11:25 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:

    > In , on 08/28/2007
    > at 05:31 PM, "Trevor Hemsley"
    > said:
    >
    > >On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:08:39 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, me@privacy.net
    > >wrote:

    >
    > >> This worked find for my eCS 1.03 partition, but Windows 98 does not boot.
    > >> I assume this means that one or more critical boot files are not in the
    > >> appropriate position for booting.

    >
    > >It's almost certainly worse than that. Win98 on FAT uses directory
    > >entries that OS/2 knows nothing about to provide long file names and if
    > >you copy it from OS/2, it's likely to trash the filenames and directory
    > >names. You probably need to boot Win98 to copy Win98!

    >
    > The partition is FAT32, not FAT, and I have the FAT32.ifs installed. So I
    > don't think that is the problem. I just tried using DFSee to replace the
    > boot sector, but that did not change the error I get from the "Run DOS
    > from" prompt. I will try an actual boot and see if that makes a
    > difference, but I don't expect any.
    >
    > >Tried bootdisk.org?

    >
    > I downloaded the Windows 98 Second Edition boot diskette from there. It
    > appears to be a Win32 executable, so I will need to boot a Windows system
    > to create it on. Hopefully this will do the job.
    >
    > -- Dave
    > -----------------------------------------------------------
    > dhdurgeeverizonnet
    > -----------------------------------------------------------


    Try this: with x: being the future win98 partition on the new drive (not
    connected as IDE0 master) and C: the old one, boot Win98; run "SYS x:"
    in a DOS window to install the system files; then go to Control
    Panel->System->Performance-> Virtual Memory->check "Disable Virtual
    Memory", which will cause warnings about potential problems with trying
    to run without virtual memory. So you must have enough RAM. Then reboot
    (w98) and run XCOPY: Start->Run and enter XCOPY c:\*.* x:\ /c /e /f /h
    /r /s. Using Start->Run rather than a DOS window calls XCOPY32.EXE,
    which can read and write the long file names (VFAT or FAT32). Be sure to
    turn virtual memory back on when you're done.

    When reconnecting the new HDD, the [new] win98 installation should wind
    up being the first active primary on the first ide hdd. Win98 will want
    to rebuild its hardware profiles for any hardware differences it finds
    between the old set-up and the new one.

    HTH,
    Pete

    --


  5. Re: Help getting copied Window 98 booting

    In , on 08/29/2007
    at 06:19 AM, "Pete" said:

    >Try this: with x: being the future win98 partition on the new drive (not
    >connected as IDE0 master) and C: the old one, boot Win98; run "SYS x:"
    >in a DOS window to install the system files; then go to Control
    >Panel->System->Performance-> Virtual Memory->check "Disable Virtual
    >Memory", which will cause warnings about potential problems with trying
    >to run without virtual memory. So you must have enough RAM. Then reboot
    >(w98) and run XCOPY: Start->Run and enter XCOPY c:\*.* x:\ /c /e /f /h
    >/r /s. Using Start->Run rather than a DOS window calls XCOPY32.EXE,
    >which can read and write the long file names (VFAT or FAT32). Be sure to
    >turn virtual memory back on when you're done.


    >When reconnecting the new HDD, the [new] win98 installation should wind
    >up being the first active primary on the first ide hdd. Win98 will want
    >to rebuild its hardware profiles for any hardware differences it finds
    >between the old set-up and the new one.


    I might give this a try if I can't get this to work with a Windows 98
    floppy boot, but I have a few issues to address first. I only have a
    USB/IDE adapter to make a second drive available on this system as it is
    an IBM ThinkPad 600E and has only a single IDE connector. This is working
    fine from eCS and with my DFSee CD, but Windows 98 SE appears to lack a
    driver for a "USB to IDE/ATAPI bridge" at least on my unit. I did a bit of
    searching and downloaded what may be the proper driver and would need to
    get it installed on the partition. Unfortunately one reason that I am
    resizing as opposed to simply copying my C:\ is that space is tight and I
    get "disk full" errors at times. So it may be a bit of a job to
    accomplish this.

    Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep this in mind in case other
    approaches fail.

    -- Dave
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    dhdurgeeverizonnet
    -----------------------------------------------------------


  6. Re: Help getting copied Window 98 booting

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:02:12 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:

    --snip--

    > I might give this a try if I can't get this to work with a Windows 98
    > floppy boot, but I have a few issues to address first. I only have a
    > USB/IDE adapter to make a second drive available on this system as it is
    > an IBM ThinkPad 600E and has only a single IDE connector. This is working
    > fine from eCS and with my DFSee CD, but Windows 98 SE appears to lack a
    > driver for a "USB to IDE/ATAPI bridge" at least on my unit. I did a bit of
    > searching and downloaded what may be the proper driver and would need to
    > get it installed on the partition. Unfortunately one reason that I am
    > resizing as opposed to simply copying my C:\ is that space is tight and I
    > get "disk full" errors at times. So it may be a bit of a job to
    > accomplish this.


    Have you tried putting the new drive in a portable USB drive enclosure,
    then booting the win98 partition off the old drive as IDE0, mounting the
    new HDD as a portable drive, and then xcopying from old to new? It'll be
    necessary to find w98 USB basic and removable mass storage drivers,
    unless you already have them installed. It's been a while, so I can't
    really recall what I did with my 600E's w98 partition vis a vis USB
    stuff (it's about to be junked in favor of xp, someday, when I get
    around to it). A 600E has USB 1.x, so transfer will be a bit slow. I
    seem to recall there is also an IDE adapter which can be used to add a
    second HDD in the ultrabay as IDE1. Look around on ebay (I picked up a
    DVD drive for mine there--no video though because there isn't enough
    video ram on the graphics card).

    HTH,
    Pete

    --


  7. Re: Help getting copied Window 98 booting

    In , on 08/30/2007
    at 05:42 AM, "Pete" said:

    >Have you tried putting the new drive in a portable USB drive enclosure,
    >then booting the win98 partition off the old drive as IDE0, mounting the
    >new HDD as a portable drive, and then xcopying from old to new? It'll be
    >necessary to find w98 USB basic and removable mass storage drivers,
    >unless you already have them installed. It's been a while, so I can't
    >really recall what I did with my 600E's w98 partition vis a vis USB
    >stuff (it's about to be junked in favor of xp, someday, when I get
    >around to it). A 600E has USB 1.x, so transfer will be a bit slow. I
    >seem to recall there is also an IDE adapter which can be used to add a
    >second HDD in the ultrabay as IDE1. Look around on ebay (I picked up a
    >DVD drive for mine there--no video though because there isn't enough
    >video ram on the graphics card).


    I was successful using the Windows 98 SE boot disk to SYS C:, so my TP600E
    now has both Windows 98 SE and eCS 1.03 booting. I have tried "playing" a
    DVD with a USB attached DVD drive using WarpVision and it can only be
    described as "playing", as it breaks up visually. If I ever get a
    replacement drive for the ultrabay I will try it again and see if the
    problem was lack of CPU horsepower or USB 1.x limits.

    One thing I found is that with the current BIOS and the proper memory you
    can upgrade a TP600E to 544M which helps performance quite a bit.

    -- Dave
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    dhdurgeeverizonnet
    -----------------------------------------------------------


  8. Re: Help getting copied Window 98 booting

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    > I have just "cloned" my 6 GB laptop drive onto a 40 GB laptop drive. I put
    > this in quotes as I wanted to resize partitions in the process, so I
    > created the partitions with DFSee and then used FC/2 and xcopy to copy the
    > files to the new partitions. After the copy was done I swapped the drives
    > and used my DFSee CD to fix the LVM information.
    >
    > This worked find for my eCS 1.03 partition, but Windows 98 does not boot.
    > I assume this means that one or more critical boot files are not in the
    > appropriate position for booting. I guess this would be easy to correct
    > if I had a Windows 98 boot disk, but all I have is a ThinkPad system
    > restore disk that would replace my current system. I thought perhaps I
    > could get around this by using the "Run DOS from" approach to boot a
    > window from the C: drive, but when I tried it all I got was a " I9990305"
    > error, which I assume indicates the same as a no-boot from Boot Manager.
    >
    > So does anyone have a boot diskette image for Windows 98 I can use to "SYS
    > C:" the partition with? If so, can I use it with "Run DOS from" or will I
    > have to create an actual diskette for this? The last line of C:\MSDOS.SYS
    > is "WinVer=4.10.2222" and I do see the various hidden system files in the
    > root directory. If I am not correct about using "SYS C:" to fix this,
    > where can I find a utility to fix this?
    >
    > -- Dave
    > -----------------------------------------------------------
    > dhdurgeeverizonnet
    > -----------------------------------------------------------
    >

    Surely you created a "Windows Emergency Boot Disk" before you started
    this? Or you must have a Windows Emergency Boot Disk just around your
    house. (Actually of course it is really MS-DOS 7.1, but it does report
    itself as Windows, MS does call creating it as creating a Windows Boot
    Disk.

    Make sure you C: drive is visible and Active. Then boot-up your computer
    with the EBD and SYS the C: partition.

    Windows 2K can create a required Windows 9x/ME diskette too. But it is
    MS-DOS 8.0 from Windows ME. I don't now if that would work for you. If
    you don't have have, use a public computer with Windows 2K on it to
    create the MS-DOS Bootable Diskette (or whatever it is called).

    You have to create the boot sector from another source, such as a boot
    floppy diskette, or you have to have saved a copy of a boot sector and
    try to copy it to partition and see if a SCANDISK, CHKDSK, and/or Disk
    Editor program can "fix" the information in it to fit your partition.

    DFSEE can save you a copy of the boot sector from your source computer.
    But, I've never used it to try to create a boot sector on a hard disk
    partition of a different size. (I'm assuming they both are FAT or at
    least FAT32.)

  9. Re: Help getting copied Window 98 booting

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    > I have just "cloned" my 6 GB laptop drive onto a 40 GB laptop drive. I put
    > this in quotes as I wanted to resize partitions in the process, so I
    > created the partitions with DFSee and then used FC/2 and xcopy to copy the
    > files to the new partitions. After the copy was done I swapped the drives
    > and used my DFSee CD to fix the LVM information.
    >
    > This worked find for my eCS 1.03 partition, but Windows 98 does not boot.
    > I assume this means that one or more critical boot files are not in the
    > appropriate position for booting. I guess this would be easy to correct
    > if I had a Windows 98 boot disk, but all I have is a ThinkPad system
    > restore disk that would replace my current system. I thought perhaps I
    > could get around this by using the "Run DOS from" approach to boot a
    > window from the C: drive, but when I tried it all I got was a " I9990305"
    > error, which I assume indicates the same as a no-boot from Boot Manager.
    >
    > So does anyone have a boot diskette image for Windows 98 I can use to "SYS
    > C:" the partition with? If so, can I use it with "Run DOS from" or will I
    > have to create an actual diskette for this? The last line of C:\MSDOS.SYS
    > is "WinVer=4.10.2222" and I do see the various hidden system files in the
    > root directory. If I am not correct about using "SYS C:" to fix this,
    > where can I find a utility to fix this?
    >
    > -- Dave
    > -----------------------------------------------------------
    > dhdurgeeverizonnet
    > -----------------------------------------------------------
    >

    BTW, the Windows 2K bootable floppy does NOT include any program files.
    So, one can not use it SYS a partition. One needs the correct OS and SYS
    program file.


  10. Re: Help getting copied Window 98 booting

    In <46daa38a$1@kcnews01>, on 09/02/2007
    at 04:50 AM, Nobody said:

    >me@privacy.net wrote:
    >> I have just "cloned" my 6 GB laptop drive onto a 40 GB laptop drive. I put
    >> this in quotes as I wanted to resize partitions in the process, so I
    >> created the partitions with DFSee and then used FC/2 and xcopy to copy the
    >> files to the new partitions. After the copy was done I swapped the drives
    >> and used my DFSee CD to fix the LVM information.
    >>
    >> This worked find for my eCS 1.03 partition, but Windows 98 does not boot.
    >> I assume this means that one or more critical boot files are not in the
    >> appropriate position for booting. I guess this would be easy to correct
    >> if I had a Windows 98 boot disk, but all I have is a ThinkPad system
    >> restore disk that would replace my current system. I thought perhaps I
    >> could get around this by using the "Run DOS from" approach to boot a
    >> window from the C: drive, but when I tried it all I got was a " I9990305"
    >> error, which I assume indicates the same as a no-boot from Boot Manager.
    >>
    >> So does anyone have a boot diskette image for Windows 98 I can use to "SYS
    >> C:" the partition with? If so, can I use it with "Run DOS from" or will I
    >> have to create an actual diskette for this? The last line of C:\MSDOS.SYS
    >> is "WinVer=4.10.2222" and I do see the various hidden system files in the
    >> root directory. If I am not correct about using "SYS C:" to fix this,
    >> where can I find a utility to fix this?
    >>
    >> -- Dave
    >> -----------------------------------------------------------
    >> dhdurgeeverizonnet
    >> -----------------------------------------------------------
    >>

    >BTW, the Windows 2K bootable floppy does NOT include any program files.
    >So, one can not use it SYS a partition. One needs the correct OS and SYS
    > program file.


    Problem is solved. I downloaded the image of the Windows 98 SE boot
    diskette from bootdisk.com and used it to SYS C: once I booted it. I find
    things appear to be working fine now. Thanks for the ideas.

    -- Dave
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    dhdurgeeverizonnet
    -----------------------------------------------------------


  11. Re: Help getting copied Window 98 booting

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    > In , on 08/30/2007
    > at 05:42 AM, "Pete" said:
    >
    >> Have you tried putting the new drive in a portable USB drive enclosure,
    >> then booting the win98 partition off the old drive as IDE0, mounting the
    >> new HDD as a portable drive, and then xcopying from old to new? It'll be
    >> necessary to find w98 USB basic and removable mass storage drivers,
    >> unless you already have them installed. It's been a while, so I can't
    >> really recall what I did with my 600E's w98 partition vis a vis USB
    >> stuff (it's about to be junked in favor of xp, someday, when I get
    >> around to it). A 600E has USB 1.x, so transfer will be a bit slow. I
    >> seem to recall there is also an IDE adapter which can be used to add a
    >> second HDD in the ultrabay as IDE1. Look around on ebay (I picked up a
    >> DVD drive for mine there--no video though because there isn't enough
    >> video ram on the graphics card).

    >
    > I was successful using the Windows 98 SE boot disk to SYS C:, so my TP600E
    > now has both Windows 98 SE and eCS 1.03 booting. I have tried "playing" a
    > DVD with a USB attached DVD drive using WarpVision and it can only be
    > described as "playing", as it breaks up visually. If I ever get a
    > replacement drive for the ultrabay I will try it again and see if the
    > problem was lack of CPU horsepower or USB 1.x limits.
    >
    > One thing I found is that with the current BIOS and the proper memory you
    > can upgrade a TP600E to 544M which helps performance quite a bit.
    >
    > -- Dave
    > -----------------------------------------------------------
    > dhdurgeeverizonnet
    > -----------------------------------------------------------
    >

    As a fellow IBM Thinkpad 600E owner, I wanted to let you know I agree
    with your observations.

    I believe the limit of USB 1.1 is your limit for your USB port. It is
    way to slow to display video. (USB was created for attaching keyboards
    and mice. Only later with Ver. 2.00 was it really improved. And
    1394/Firewire stills performs better.) Buying an UltraBay, either new
    (if planning on keeping your 600E) or or used (if planning on letting it
    go soon) would be helpful to add more features.

    The BOOTDISK.COM, has numerous DOS USB drivers available. (I think that
    is where I found my diskettes of nearly all available DOS USB drivers.)
    And DFSee comes with DOS drivers for USB for most computers. They worked
    well with my Thinkpad, and with FreeDOS, PC-DOS, MS-DOS.

    BTW, I found that not all Thinkpad 600Es can handle 512 of RAM. Luckily
    the older one of my (that runs at 600Mz can), but my newer one, that
    runs at 366Mz can not. Ugh.


  12. Re: Help getting copied Window 98 booting

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    > In <46daa38a$1@kcnews01>, on 09/02/2007
    > at 04:50 AM, Nobody said:
    >
    >> me@privacy.net wrote:

    snip
    >
    > Problem is solved. I downloaded the image of the Windows 98 SE boot
    > diskette from bootdisk.com and used it to SYS C: once I booted it. I find
    > things appear to be working fine now. Thanks for the ideas.
    >
    > -- Dave
    > -----------------------------------------------------------
    > dhdurgeeverizonnet
    > -----------------------------------------------------------
    >

    Good. Sorry I did not think of this site sooner. Glad that others did. (s)

  13. Re: Help getting copied Window 98 booting

    In <46ed2046@kcnews01>, on 09/16/2007
    at 05:23 AM, Nobody said:

    >BTW, I found that not all Thinkpad 600Es can handle 512 of RAM. Luckily
    >the older one of my (that runs at 600Mz can), but my newer one, that
    >runs at 366Mz can not. Ugh.


    Do you have the latest BIOS installed on the one that doesn't? I had to
    upgrade my BIOS first and then I had to get the lower density RAM for it
    to work on my TP600E, which is a 366 MHz unit.

    -- Dave
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    dhdurgeeverizonnet
    -----------------------------------------------------------


  14. Re: Help getting copied Window 98 booting

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    > In <46ed2046@kcnews01>, on 09/16/2007
    > at 05:23 AM, Nobody said:
    >
    >> BTW, I found that not all Thinkpad 600Es can handle 512 of RAM. Luckily
    >> the older one of my (that runs at 600Mz can), but my newer one, that
    >> runs at 366Mz can not. Ugh.

    >
    > Do you have the latest BIOS installed on the one that doesn't? I had to
    > upgrade my BIOS first and then I had to get the lower density RAM for it
    > to work on my TP600E, which is a 366 MHz unit.
    >
    > -- Dave
    > -----------------------------------------------------------
    > dhdurgeeverizonnet
    > -----------------------------------------------------------
    >

    Yes. Well, at least I think I do. It's been some time since I checked or
    installed the BIOS for each of these Thinkpads.

    I bought the 366Mz model used, with an updated BIOS, and larger hard
    drive (8-9GB instead of the older's 4GB hard drive).

    My memory is, that it was prevented not by the speed of the Thinkpad by
    but by its model number.

    But, now you give me some hope. I'll check again.

    (You know they haven't updated the BIOSs since .. .. 1999.)




  15. Re: Help getting copied Window 98 booting

    In <46ed2046@kcnews01>, on 09/16/2007
    at 05:23 AM, Nobody said:

    >me@privacy.net wrote:
    >> In , on 08/30/2007
    >> at 05:42 AM, "Pete" said:
    >>
    >>> Have you tried putting the new drive in a portable USB drive enclosure,
    >>> then booting the win98 partition off the old drive as IDE0, mounting the
    >>> new HDD as a portable drive, and then xcopying from old to new? It'll be
    >>> necessary to find w98 USB basic and removable mass storage drivers,
    >>> unless you already have them installed. It's been a while, so I can't
    >>> really recall what I did with my 600E's w98 partition vis a vis USB
    >>> stuff (it's about to be junked in favor of xp, someday, when I get
    >>> around to it). A 600E has USB 1.x, so transfer will be a bit slow. I
    >>> seem to recall there is also an IDE adapter which can be used to add a
    >>> second HDD in the ultrabay as IDE1. Look around on ebay (I picked up a
    >>> DVD drive for mine there--no video though because there isn't enough
    >>> video ram on the graphics card).

    >>
    >> I was successful using the Windows 98 SE boot disk to SYS C:, so my TP600E
    >> now has both Windows 98 SE and eCS 1.03 booting. I have tried "playing" a
    >> DVD with a USB attached DVD drive using WarpVision and it can only be
    >> described as "playing", as it breaks up visually. If I ever get a
    >> replacement drive for the ultrabay I will try it again and see if the
    >> problem was lack of CPU horsepower or USB 1.x limits.
    >>
    >> One thing I found is that with the current BIOS and the proper memory you
    >> can upgrade a TP600E to 544M which helps performance quite a bit.
    >>
    >> -- Dave
    >> -----------------------------------------------------------
    >> dhdurgeeverizonnet
    >> -----------------------------------------------------------
    >>

    >As a fellow IBM Thinkpad 600E owner, I wanted to let you know I agree
    >with your observations.


    >I believe the limit of USB 1.1 is your limit for your USB port. It is
    >way to slow to display video. (USB was created for attaching keyboards
    >and mice. Only later with Ver. 2.00 was it really improved. And
    >1394/Firewire stills performs better.) Buying an UltraBay, either new
    >(if planning on keeping your 600E) or or used (if planning on letting it
    >go soon) would be helpful to add more features.


    >The BOOTDISK.COM, has numerous DOS USB drivers available. (I think that
    >is where I found my diskettes of nearly all available DOS USB drivers.)
    >And DFSee comes with DOS drivers for USB for most computers. They worked
    >well with my Thinkpad, and with FreeDOS, PC-DOS, MS-DOS.


    >BTW, I found that not all Thinkpad 600Es can handle 512 of RAM. Luckily
    >the older one of my (that runs at 600Mz can), but my newer one, that
    >runs at 366Mz can not. Ugh.


    Mine is a 366MHz version and as noted I have a total of 544M of RAM in it.
    I DID have to flash the BIOS to 99/11/20 - INET36WW and get the lower
    density modules on the DIMM, but that is all it took.

    -- Dave
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    dhdurgeeverizonnet
    -----------------------------------------------------------


  16. Re: Help getting copied Window 98 booting

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 21:07:42 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:

    --snip--

    600Es have only 2 MB of video ram, which is probably not enough for
    video -- at least that's what WarpVision said when I tried to install
    it.

    HTH,
    Pete

    --


  17. Re: Help getting copied Window 98 booting

    In , on 02/24/2008
    at 07:50 AM, "Pete" said:

    >On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 21:07:42 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:


    >--snip--


    >600Es have only 2 MB of video ram, which is probably not enough for
    >video -- at least that's what WarpVision said when I tried to install
    >it.


    Shhhh! Don't tell WarpVision on my system here where it runs fine.
    Perhaps I can't use WarpOverlay, but that doesn't stop WarpVison from
    working.

    -- Dave
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    dhdurgeeverizonnet
    -----------------------------------------------------------


  18. Re: Help getting copied Window 98 booting

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:10:41 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:

    > In , on 02/24/2008
    > at 07:50 AM, "Pete" said:
    >
    > >On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 21:07:42 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:

    >
    > >--snip--

    >
    > >600Es have only 2 MB of video ram, which is probably not enough for
    > >video -- at least that's what WarpVision said when I tried to install
    > >it.

    >
    > Shhhh! Don't tell WarpVision on my system here where it runs fine.
    > Perhaps I can't use WarpOverlay, but that doesn't stop WarpVison from
    > working.


    Hmmm. I'll have to try it without WarpOverlay. Which version of WV are
    you using?

    Pete

    --


  19. Re: Help getting copied Window 98 booting

    In , on 02/26/2008
    at 07:08 PM, "Pete" said:

    >On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:10:41 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:


    >> In , on 02/24/2008
    >> at 07:50 AM, "Pete" said:
    >>
    >> >On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 21:07:42 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:

    >>
    >> >--snip--

    >>
    >> >600Es have only 2 MB of video ram, which is probably not enough for
    >> >video -- at least that's what WarpVision said when I tried to install
    >> >it.

    >>
    >> Shhhh! Don't tell WarpVision on my system here where it runs fine.
    >> Perhaps I can't use WarpOverlay, but that doesn't stop WarpVison from
    >> working.


    >Hmmm. I'll have to try it without WarpOverlay. Which version of WV are
    >you using?


    I have used wvgui_20070625.zip, wvgui1.01.zip, wvgui1.0GA.zip as well as
    earlier releases. I believe the 1.01 release works about best on my
    system.

    -- Dave
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    dhdurgeeverizonnet
    -----------------------------------------------------------


  20. Re: Help getting copied Window 98 booting

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:44:03 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:

    > In , on 02/26/2008
    > at 07:08 PM, "Pete" said:
    >
    > >On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:10:41 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:

    >
    > >> In , on 02/24/2008
    > >> at 07:50 AM, "Pete" said:
    > >>
    > >> >On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 21:07:42 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:
    > >>
    > >> >--snip--
    > >>
    > >> >600Es have only 2 MB of video ram, which is probably not enough for
    > >> >video -- at least that's what WarpVision said when I tried to install
    > >> >it.
    > >>
    > >> Shhhh! Don't tell WarpVision on my system here where it runs fine.
    > >> Perhaps I can't use WarpOverlay, but that doesn't stop WarpVison from
    > >> working.

    >
    > >Hmmm. I'll have to try it without WarpOverlay. Which version of WV are
    > >you using?

    >
    > I have used wvgui_20070625.zip, wvgui1.01.zip, wvgui1.0GA.zip as well as
    > earlier releases. I believe the 1.01 release works about best on my
    > system.
    >
    > -- Dave
    > -----------------------------------------------------------
    > dhdurgeeverizonnet
    > -----------------------------------------------------------


    Got it to work, many thanks. The only prolbem now is drop-outs -- ran
    out of time for tinkering for a few days.

    Pete


    --


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast