question about os/2 driver - OS2

This is a discussion on question about os/2 driver - OS2 ; I am look to buy a desktop system on which I can run OS/2. I currently have OS/2 running on an IBM T23 Thinkpad and it has a 100mhz ethernet lan connection to several MSWindow2000 machines which I transfer files ...

  1. question about os/2 driver

    I am look to buy a desktop system on which I can run OS/2.
    I currently have OS/2 running on an IBM T23 Thinkpad and it has a 100mhz ethernet lan
    connection to several MSWindow2000 machines which I transfer files back and forth.
    I have the IBM 4.52 OS/2 licence The IBM desktop I am thinking if buying is...
    S50 8183-43U memory .. 512mbytes Intel Pentium4 3.0Ghz Intel 865G graphics .....
    VIDEO Intel Gigabit Ethernet .. PRO100/PRO1000 8 USB 2.0 ports IBM refurbished...
    3years old with no display or operating system Cost $200 My only worry is OS/2 drivers for
    the video and ethernet hardware... I looked around but was not able to find OS/2 drivers for the
    hardware shown above.

    QUESTION..... IS THERE ANY HOPE THAT I CAN FIND BOTH THESE DRIVERS SO AS
    TO INSTALL OS/2 4.52 ON THIS MACHINE AND BE ABLE TO HAVE LAN
    COMMUNICATIONS WITH MSWINDOW (2000) AS I CURRENTLY HAVE WITH MY T23
    THINKPAD. ???

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: question about os/2 driver

    anon writes:

    > I am look to buy a desktop system on which I can run OS/2.
    > I currently have OS/2 running on an IBM T23 Thinkpad and it has a 100mhz ethernet lan
    > connection to several MSWindow2000 machines which I transfer files back and forth.
    > I have the IBM 4.52 OS/2 licence The IBM desktop I am thinking if buying is...
    > S50 8183-43U memory .. 512mbytes Intel Pentium4 3.0Ghz Intel 865G graphics .....
    > VIDEO Intel Gigabit Ethernet .. PRO100/PRO1000 8 USB 2.0 ports IBM refurbished...
    > 3years old with no display or operating system Cost $200 My only worry is OS/2 drivers for
    > the video and ethernet hardware... I looked around but was not able to find OS/2 drivers for the
    > hardware shown above.
    >
    > QUESTION..... IS THERE ANY HOPE THAT I CAN FIND BOTH THESE DRIVERS SO AS
    > TO INSTALL OS/2 4.52 ON THIS MACHINE AND BE ABLE TO HAVE LAN
    > COMMUNICATIONS WITH MSWINDOW (2000) AS I CURRENTLY HAVE WITH MY T23
    > THINKPAD. ???
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    The ehternet driver is available.

  3. Re: question about os/2 driver

    anon wrote:
    > I am look to buy a desktop system on which I can run OS/2.
    > I currently have OS/2 running on an IBM T23 Thinkpad and it has a 100mhz ethernet lan
    > connection to several MSWindow2000 machines which I transfer files back and forth.
    > I have the IBM 4.52 OS/2 licence The IBM desktop I am thinking if buying is...
    > S50 8183-43U memory .. 512mbytes Intel Pentium4 3.0Ghz Intel 865G graphics .....
    > VIDEO Intel Gigabit Ethernet .. PRO100/PRO1000 8 USB 2.0 ports IBM refurbished...
    > 3years old with no display or operating system Cost $200 My only worry is OS/2 drivers for
    > the video and ethernet hardware... I looked around but was not able to find OS/2 drivers for the
    > hardware shown above.
    >
    > QUESTION..... IS THERE ANY HOPE THAT I CAN FIND BOTH THESE DRIVERS SO AS
    > TO INSTALL OS/2 4.52 ON THIS MACHINE AND BE ABLE TO HAVE LAN
    > COMMUNICATIONS WITH MSWINDOW (2000) AS I CURRENTLY HAVE WITH MY T23
    > THINKPAD. ???
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    The scitech SNAP driver for OS/2 (not sure where you could get it
    anymore, though) supports the Intel 865G graphics and there is an intel
    os/2 driver for the pro100/100 intel nic. That will let you have lan
    communications with win2k.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  4. Re: question about os/2 driver

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 04:18:37 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "David T. Johnson"
    wrote:

    > The scitech SNAP driver for OS/2 (not sure where you could get it
    > anymore, though) supports the Intel 865G graphics and there is an intel
    > os/2 driver for the pro100/100 intel nic. That will let you have lan
    > communications with win2k.

    I am pretty sure that there is a bundled version od SNAP with eCS.

    You need to be aware that not all Intel Pro/1000 chips are supported by Intel's
    driver, some require GenMac to work though I suspect that one that's on a 3 year
    old machine will probably work but the only way to tell for sure is to look up
    the PCI id of the chip itself.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  5. Re: question about os/2 driver

    Hi

    anon wrote:
    > I am look to buy a desktop system on which I can run OS/2.
    > I currently have OS/2 running on an IBM T23 Thinkpad and it has a 100mhz ethernet lan
    > connection to several MSWindow2000 machines which I transfer files back and forth.
    > I have the IBM 4.52 OS/2 licence The IBM desktop I am thinking if buying is...
    > S50 8183-43U memory .. 512mbytes Intel Pentium4 3.0Ghz Intel 865G graphics .....
    > VIDEO Intel Gigabit Ethernet .. PRO100/PRO1000 8 USB 2.0 ports IBM refurbished...
    > 3years old with no display or operating system Cost $200 My only worry is OS/2 drivers for
    > the video and ethernet hardware... I looked around but was not able to find OS/2 drivers for the
    > hardware shown above.
    >
    > QUESTION..... IS THERE ANY HOPE THAT I CAN FIND BOTH THESE DRIVERS SO AS
    > TO INSTALL OS/2 4.52 ON THIS MACHINE AND BE ABLE TO HAVE LAN
    > COMMUNICATIONS WITH MSWINDOW (2000) AS I CURRENTLY HAVE WITH MY T23
    > THINKPAD. ???
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    PROBABLY.

    SNAP supports the i865G graphics - but not sure whether you can purchase
    SNAP these days...

    SNAP is included with eCS so maybe you will need to purchase a Warp4 to
    eCS upgrade to obtain that driver.

    If the nic does not work with the OS/2 Intel drivers you may find it
    works with the GenMAC package. I think you need to use a utility like
    pci.exe to obtain the Vendor and Device Ids to check which driver to use.

    Regards

    Pete

  6. Re: question about os/2 driver

    anon wrote:
    > I am look to buy a desktop system on which I can run OS/2.
    > I currently have OS/2 running on an IBM T23 Thinkpad and it has a 100mhz ethernet lan
    > connection to several MSWindow2000 machines which I transfer files back and forth.
    > I have the IBM 4.52 OS/2 licence The IBM desktop I am thinking if buying is...
    > S50 8183-43U memory .. 512mbytes Intel Pentium4 3.0Ghz Intel 865G graphics .....
    > VIDEO Intel Gigabit Ethernet .. PRO100/PRO1000 8 USB 2.0 ports IBM refurbished...
    > 3years old with no display or operating system Cost $200 My only worry is OS/2 drivers for
    > the video and ethernet hardware... I looked around but was not able to find OS/2 drivers for the
    > hardware shown above.
    >
    > QUESTION..... IS THERE ANY HOPE THAT I CAN FIND BOTH THESE DRIVERS SO AS
    > TO INSTALL OS/2 4.52 ON THIS MACHINE AND BE ABLE TO HAVE LAN
    > COMMUNICATIONS WITH MSWINDOW (2000) AS I CURRENTLY HAVE WITH MY T23
    > THINKPAD. ???
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Driver for the Intel Pro can be obtained from this link:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...&validate=true
    Peter

  7. Re: question about os/2 driver

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 13:21:22 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 04:18:37 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "David T. Johnson"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > The scitech SNAP driver for OS/2 (not sure where you could get it
    > > anymore, though) supports the Intel 865G graphics and there is an intel
    > > os/2 driver for the pro100/100 intel nic. That will let you have lan
    > > communications with win2k.

    > I am pretty sure that there is a bundled version od SNAP with eCS.

    Build 485, licensed to IBM.

    --snip--

    Pete

    --

  8. Re: question about os/2 driver

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:34:31 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Pete"
    wrote:

    > > I am pretty sure that there is a bundled version od SNAP with eCS.

    > Build 485, licensed to IBM.

    No, build 505 licensed to Serenity.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  9. Re: question about os/2 driver

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:44:25 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:34:31 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Pete"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > > I am pretty sure that there is a bundled version od SNAP with eCS.

    > > Build 485, licensed to IBM.

    > No, build 505 licensed to Serenity.

    I think 505 is only with the eCS 2.0 beta, or RC1 drops (currently
    available only with the software subscription feature). Something
    newer than 485, but older than 505, is included with eCS 1.2R (which
    is the latest, "official", version).

    I am not sure where support for the Intel 865G graphics adapter was
    introduced.

    Hope this helps...
    --
    From the eComStation 1.2 of Doug Bissett
    dougb007 at telus dot net

  10. Re: question about os/2 driver

    Doug Bissett wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:44:25 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    > wrote:

    >>> Build 485, licensed to IBM.

    >> No, build 505 licensed to Serenity.

    > I think 505 is only with the eCS 2.0 beta, or RC1 drops (currently
    > available only with the software subscription feature). Something
    > newer than 485, but older than 505, is included with eCS 1.2R (which
    > is the latest, "official", version).
    >
    > I am not sure where support for the Intel 865G graphics adapter was
    > introduced.

    All that I know is that the last version of the SNAP driver supported
    the Intel 865G graphics because it's listed on the list of supported
    chipsets that I saved when Scitech folded their OS/2 tent. I have no
    idea which earlier versions, if any, supported it. Maybe someone else
    here knows? Maybe someone from Scitech?

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  11. Re: question about os/2 driver

    In , on 08/22/2007
    at 05:52 PM, "Doug Bissett" said:

    >I think 505 is only with the eCS 2.0 beta, or RC1 drops (currently
    >available only with the software subscription feature). Something newer
    >than 485, but older than 505, is included with eCS 1.2R (which is the
    >latest, "official", version).

    491 is the most recent avialable to eCS1.2R customers from
    www.ecomstation.com.

    505 is availble to customers with a software subscription as

    ftp://download.mensys.nl/SNAP/snapse-ecs-3.1.8.zip

    Use your shop.mensys.nl login to access the download.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 3.00 beta 08pre #10183