Cloning a OS/2 Warp PCMCIA drive - OS2

This is a discussion on Cloning a OS/2 Warp PCMCIA drive - OS2 ; Hello all, I need some help cloning a hard drive. I'm a complete newbie with OS/2 so please bear with me. The situation is as follows: I have a 170MB PCMCIA hard drive which seems to have an OS/2 warp ...

  1. Cloning a OS/2 Warp PCMCIA drive

    Hello all,

    I need some help cloning a hard drive. I'm a complete newbie with OS/2
    so please bear with me.

    The situation is as follows: I have a 170MB PCMCIA hard drive which
    seems to have an OS/2 warp file system. I need to clone this drive to
    a newer PCMCIA-Flash-drive before it breaks. Our company is naturally
    Windows-only and they have been unable to clone the disk and so they
    asked the "official Linux guy"

    I have a Gentoo laptop with a PCMCIA slot at home, and also Win XP
    machines with PCMCIA slots at the office. My original plan was to:

    1. Mount the drive with my Gentoo box,
    2. clone the disk with dd,
    3. mount the new flash drive,
    4. copy the contents to the new drive.

    Now I started to hesitate and would like some advice on my approach.
    Can I clone the disk this way?

  2. Re: Cloning a OS/2 Warp PCMCIA drive

    Hi,

    Should be possible that way. But skip the mounting part you dont have
    to mount partitions just:

    1. Plug pcmcia drive in
    2. dd if=/dev/sda of=file.img
    3. unplug drive
    4. plug flash drive in
    5. dd if=file.img of=/dev/sdb

    Where sda is pcmcia and sdb is flash drive. And now you also have a
    backup of drive in file.img

    Tero

    Paavo Heiskanen wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I need some help cloning a hard drive. I'm a complete newbie with OS/2
    > so please bear with me.
    >
    > The situation is as follows: I have a 170MB PCMCIA hard drive which
    > seems to have an OS/2 warp file system. I need to clone this drive to
    > a newer PCMCIA-Flash-drive before it breaks. Our company is naturally
    > Windows-only and they have been unable to clone the disk and so they
    > asked the "official Linux guy"
    >
    > I have a Gentoo laptop with a PCMCIA slot at home, and also Win XP
    > machines with PCMCIA slots at the office. My original plan was to:
    >
    > 1. Mount the drive with my Gentoo box,
    > 2. clone the disk with dd,
    > 3. mount the new flash drive,
    > 4. copy the contents to the new drive.
    >
    > Now I started to hesitate and would like some advice on my approach.
    > Can I clone the disk this way?

  3. Re: Cloning a OS/2 Warp PCMCIA drive

    On 6 elo, 09:41, Tero Kaarlela wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Should be possible that way. But skip the mounting part you dont have
    > to mount partitions just:
    >
    > 1. Plug pcmcia drive in
    > 2. dd if=/dev/sda of=file.img
    > 3. unplug drive
    > 4. plug flash drive in
    > 5. dd if=file.img of=/dev/sdb
    >
    > Where sda is pcmcia and sdb is flash drive. And now you also have a
    > backup of drive in file.img

    I just brought my gentoo laptop to the office and plugged the flash-
    pcmcia drive in. The following lines appeared to /var/log/messages:

    Lainaus:
    Aug 7 07:51:36 localhost pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0
    Aug 7 07:51:36 localhost pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia0.0
    Aug 7 07:51:36 localhost udevd-event[6117]: match_rule: MODALIAS is
    deprecated, use ENV{MODALIAS} or SYSFS{modalias} instead.
    Aug 7 07:51:36 localhost udevd-event[6117]: udev_rules_apply_format:
    $modalias is deprecated, use $env{MODALIAS} or $sysfs{modalias}
    instead.
    Aug 7 07:51:56 localhost pccard: card ejected from slot 0

    Also a device node (sd[a/b]) does not appear. I have previously used
    the PCMCIA slot for a WLAN card. Any tips on how I can get the drive
    to register? I have looked through the kernel options but haven't seen
    anything useful there. I'm using yenta-socket as my PCMCIA driver.

    comp.os.linux.hardware added.

  4. Re: Cloning a OS/2 Warp PCMCIA drive

    Paavo Heiskanen wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I need some help cloning a hard drive. I'm a complete newbie with OS/2
    > so please bear with me.
    >
    > The situation is as follows: I have a 170MB PCMCIA hard drive which
    > seems to have an OS/2 warp file system. I need to clone this drive to
    > a newer PCMCIA-Flash-drive before it breaks. Our company is naturally
    > Windows-only and they have been unable to clone the disk and so they
    > asked the "official Linux guy"

    Don't you have an OS/2 computer that can read/write to this PCMCIA hard
    drive? If so, CHKDSK will report to you what file system is being used,
    if you want to know. But, that is not necessary. (Chances are it's
    probably ordinary FAT anyway; not OS/2's HPFS or JFS.

    No matter what file system it is, just proceed to zip-up all of the
    files on the PCMCIA hard drive with the freeware Info-Zip version of
    ZIP.EXE from an OS/2 command prompt. Then plug-in a FAT formatted USB
    Flash drive into the same computer, and copy the zipped files to the USB
    Flash Drive.

    But, you may not need all of this work. If it is just an ordinary FAT
    formatted hard drive, why not just put it into a Windows computer that
    has PCMCIA support, and just copy the files that way?

    Then any computer that has USB access, and can read FAT, and includes an

    Unziip program will be able to unzip the zipped-up file and move the
    individual files to where any one wants, or just move the whole the
    whole zipped-up file to real real hard drive for safe keeping.

+ Reply to Thread