HPFS FlashDrive & Linux - OS2

This is a discussion on HPFS FlashDrive & Linux - OS2 ; This may be a little off our newsgroup, but "Warpers" might be better equipped to give some direction here. I use a dual OS/2 and SuSE 9.3 system. SuSE recognizes a flashdrive formated FAT and brings it up under /media: ...

  1. HPFS FlashDrive & Linux

    This may be a little off our newsgroup, but "Warpers" might be better
    equipped to give some direction here.

    I use a dual OS/2 and SuSE 9.3 system. SuSE recognizes a flashdrive
    formated FAT and brings it up under /media:

    However, I have been trying to get it to recognize a flashdrive
    formated in HPFS. The OS/2 HPFS partitions on my hard drive were
    added to fstab and are all recognized. However, the temporary
    flashdrive is not.

    I tried to add and entry to fstab "/dev/sda1 /mnt/hpfsflash hpfs .
    .. . ." as the entries for my hard drive partitions, but with no
    success.

    FlashDrives formated FAT come up in mtab, but I don't know enough to
    fool with this file or even if I should.

    Any help from you "experts" would be appreciated.

    Paul (Intermediate user)

    --

  2. Re: HPFS FlashDrive & Linux

    PaulRS wrote:
    > This may be a little off our newsgroup, but "Warpers" might be better
    > equipped to give some direction here.
    >
    > I use a dual OS/2 and SuSE 9.3 system. SuSE recognizes a flashdrive
    > formated FAT and brings it up under /media:
    >
    > However, I have been trying to get it to recognize a flashdrive
    > formated in HPFS. The OS/2 HPFS partitions on my hard drive were
    > added to fstab and are all recognized. However, the temporary
    > flashdrive is not.
    >
    > I tried to add and entry to fstab "/dev/sda1 /mnt/hpfsflash hpfs .
    > . . ." as the entries for my hard drive partitions, but with no
    > success.
    >
    > FlashDrives formated FAT come up in mtab, but I don't know enough to
    > fool with this file or even if I should.
    >
    > Any help from you "experts" would be appreciated.
    >
    > Paul (Intermediate user)

    Have you tried mounting it with mount? I can't remember the syntax off
    hand but entering mount --help at the command line should get you going.
    Also there is always man mount.
    Note that mount can work even without fstab entries, just needs more
    parameters and hopefully if it doesn't work it will give an
    understandable error message.
    /etc/mtab should only be read. It basically just lists the mounted
    filesystems IIRC.
    Dave

  3. Re: HPFS FlashDrive & Linux

    On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 02:49:08 UTC, Dave Yeo
    wrote:

    > PaulRS wrote:
    > > This may be a little off our newsgroup, but "Warpers" might be better
    > > equipped to give some direction here.
    > >
    > > I use a dual OS/2 and SuSE 9.3 system. SuSE recognizes a flashdrive
    > > formated FAT and brings it up under /media:
    > >
    > > However, I have been trying to get it to recognize a flashdrive
    > > formated in HPFS. The OS/2 HPFS partitions on my hard drive were
    > > added to fstab and are all recognized. However, the temporary
    > > flashdrive is not.
    > >
    > > I tried to add and entry to fstab "/dev/sda1 /mnt/hpfsflash hpfs .
    > > . . ." as the entries for my hard drive partitions, but with no
    > > success.
    > >
    > > FlashDrives formated FAT come up in mtab, but I don't know enough to
    > > fool with this file or even if I should.
    > >
    > > Any help from you "experts" would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Paul (Intermediate user)
    > >

    > Have you tried mounting it with mount? I can't remember the syntax off
    > hand but entering mount --help at the command line should get you going.
    > Also there is always man mount.
    > Note that mount can work even without fstab entries, just needs more
    > parameters and hopefully if it doesn't work it will give an
    > understandable error message.
    > /etc/mtab should only be read. It basically just lists the mounted
    > filesystems IIRC.
    > Dave

    YES - and it does work with "mount -t hpfs /dev/sda1 /mount/flash" I
    was wanting it to work with the automatic hotplug mounting of SuSE 9.3
    and up. The FAT (flash) drives do. I believe the solution is in the
    script that allows for the auto-mounting of CD's, DVD's and USB
    drives. Somehow an entry to "some file" that includes the hpfs
    specification. Thanks for the "stab-at-it."
    Paul
    --

  4. Re: HPFS FlashDrive & Linux

    On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:19:07 +0000, PaulRS wrote:

    > YES - and it does work with "mount -t hpfs /dev/sda1 /mount/flash" I
    > was wanting it to work with the automatic hotplug mounting of SuSE 9.3
    > and up.
    > The FAT (flash) drives do. I believe the solution is in the script
    > that
    > allows for the auto-mounting of CD's, DVD's and USB drives. Somehow an
    > entry to "some file" that includes the hpfs specification. Thanks for
    > the "stab-at-it."
    > Paul

    It may be in one of the files in

    /etc/udev/rules.d/