x: is either read only or being used by another program - OS2

This is a discussion on x: is either read only or being used by another program - OS2 ; This message is denying me access to a CDRW disc. Moving the disc to another box produces the same message, so the problem must be the disc, not the drive. Is there a workaround?...

  1. x: is either read only or being used by another program

    This message is denying me access to a CDRW disc. Moving the disc to another
    box produces the same message, so the problem must be the disc, not the drive.

    Is there a workaround?

  2. Re: x: is either read only or being used by another program

    Hi john

    johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:
    > This message is denying me access to a CDRW disc. Moving the disc to another
    > box produces the same message, so the problem must be the disc, not the drive.
    >
    > Is there a workaround?

    Has the CDRW been formatted udf and the udf files been updated?

    I ask because I saw something similar to this a couple of years back
    when udf formatted and written to CDRWs became unuseable after a UDF
    update - possibly udf211/212.

    My only answer was to backlevel udf to the version used to format the
    CDRWs and then copy the data off the CDRWs. I then re-updated udf and
    reformatted the CDRWs which then became useable again.

    Regards

    Pete

  3. Re: x: is either read only or being used by another program

    In , Peter Brown writes:
    >Hi john
    >
    >johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:
    >> This message is denying me access to a CDRW disc. Moving the disc to another
    >> box produces the same message, so the problem must be the disc, not the drive.
    >>

    >> Is there a workaround?
    >>

    >Has the CDRW been formatted udf and the udf files been updated?
    >
    >I ask because I saw something similar to this a couple of years back
    >when udf formatted and written to CDRWs became unuseable after a UDF
    >update - possibly udf211/212.
    >
    >My only answer was to backlevel udf to the version used to format the
    >CDRWs and then copy the data off the CDRWs. I then re-updated udf and
    >reformatted the CDRWs which then became useable again.

    NO; the problem arose after installing USBmsd support which shifted the CD drive
    letter, then attempting to acccess the CDRW under the original letter, and by
    the time I realised what the problem was I had pressed a lot of buttons and
    keys.

+ Reply to Thread