networking to a Mac? - OS2

This is a discussion on networking to a Mac? - OS2 ; I have network file, print, and Internet sharing working between eCS on a PC and eCS on a Parallels Virtual Machine running on a Mac Pro under OS X.4.9. The print and Internet sharing also work fine with the Mac ...

  1. networking to a Mac?

    I have network file, print, and Internet sharing working between eCS on
    a PC and eCS on a Parallels Virtual Machine running on a Mac Pro under
    OS X.4.9. The print and Internet sharing also work fine
    with the Mac Pro itself.

    But I haven't been able to figure out how to get file sharing between
    eCS and the Mac. Both 'File and Print Sharing' and 'Window Sharing' are
    checked on the Mac. The 'Window Sharing' uses the Mac version of Samba,
    and maybe there's an incompatibility between it and the eCS version. On
    various forums I noticed that people were experiencing problems
    connecting to Windows PCs. But so far none of the fixes suggested there
    have helped me.

    Has anyone here had success with file share networking between eCS and
    and Intel Mac?

    - Dushan Mitrovich

  2. Re: networking to a Mac?

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:26:57 UTC, dushanm@spinn.net (Dushan Mitrovich)
    wrote:

    > Has anyone here had success with file share networking between eCS and
    > and Intel Mac?

    It seemed to work perfectly under Panther, but under Tiger, nothing
    seems to work.

    Now I use an FTP server on the eCS machine, and mount the FTP site as
    a folder on Mac.

    --
    Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation
    http://www.blondeguy.com

  3. Re: networking to a Mac?

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 04:34:39 UTC, "Neil Waldhauer" wrote:

    > > Has anyone here had success with file share networking between eCS and
    > > and Intel Mac?

    Yes, with amazingly easy setup really ...

    I am running Tiger (10.4.9 I think)

    All I did was eneable the "Windows sharing" sharing on the MAC side.
    (This is in the "Sharing" applet that is in the system configuration)

    It tells you the information can now be accessed as "\\a.b.c.d\username

    Where the a.b.c.d.is your MAC's IP address and username the logged on user.
    That works just fine, but it is easier to use the "compter name" that is displayed
    at the top of that "sharing" dialog. Mine is called 'macmerlin', so the share is:

    net use m: \\macmerlin\jvw

    Works perfectly.

    Note that 'macmerlin' is the NETBIOS machine name, the TCP/IP
    hostname assigned to it is 'macmerlin.local' for some reason.

    I connect to it both from Warp4 and eCS 1.2 in a Parallels VM on the
    same MAC, and from my Thinkpad T42 over a wireless connection.

    They just have TCP/IP and Netbios-over-TCPIP configured.

    I use the same userid ('jvw') at both ends though, with the same
    password. Not sure that is required/significant, but it may be.
    My experiences with Windows-NT/XP sharing is that it is :-)

    After this worked I also updated the samba configuration to
    make shares for two of my main diretory trees on the MAC.
    As ROOT (use the 'su' command) edit /etc/smb.conf and add:

    +++++ smb.conf addition of a share
    [hdrive]
    path = /Volumes/MerlinData/hdrive
    writable = yes
    comment = JvW main development drive, sources
    +++++ end smb.conf section

    This is then available as \\macmerlin\hdrive
    (after restarting samba, or rebooting the MAC :-)

    > It seemed to work perfectly under Panther, but under Tiger, nothing
    > seems to work.

    Never used Panther, but Tiger works great for me.

    > Now I use an FTP server on the eCS machine, and mount the FTP site as
    > a folder on Mac.

    I have used that too, with the NetDrive plugin, sometimes had
    some problems with file-permissions when writing files to the MAC.
    Probably related to using FileCommander though (FC/2)

    It seems to use weird file-open semantics on copying since I see
    the same behaviour sometimes on regular shares, where a copy
    in the filecommander () fails on a 'permission denied' and a
    direct 'copy' from its commandline succeeeds.

    Regards, JvW

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  4. Re: networking to a Mac?

    Jan - you *are* a amazing! Thanks for posting this information here.
    Most excellent!

    Tim...

    Jan van Wijk wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 04:34:39 UTC, "Neil Waldhauer" wrote:
    >
    >>> Has anyone here had success with file share networking between eCS and
    >>> and Intel Mac?

    > Yes, with amazingly easy setup really ...
    >
    > I am running Tiger (10.4.9 I think)
    >
    > All I did was eneable the "Windows sharing" sharing on the MAC side.
    > (This is in the "Sharing" applet that is in the system configuration)
    >
    > It tells you the information can now be accessed as "\\a.b.c.d\username
    >
    > Where the a.b.c.d.is your MAC's IP address and username the logged on user.
    > That works just fine, but it is easier to use the "compter name" that is displayed
    > at the top of that "sharing" dialog. Mine is called 'macmerlin', so the share is:
    >
    > net use m: \\macmerlin\jvw
    >
    > Works perfectly.
    >
    > Note that 'macmerlin' is the NETBIOS machine name, the TCP/IP
    > hostname assigned to it is 'macmerlin.local' for some reason.
    >
    > I connect to it both from Warp4 and eCS 1.2 in a Parallels VM on the
    > same MAC, and from my Thinkpad T42 over a wireless connection.
    >
    > They just have TCP/IP and Netbios-over-TCPIP configured.
    >
    > I use the same userid ('jvw') at both ends though, with the same
    > password. Not sure that is required/significant, but it may be.
    > My experiences with Windows-NT/XP sharing is that it is :-)
    >
    > After this worked I also updated the samba configuration to
    > make shares for two of my main diretory trees on the MAC.
    > As ROOT (use the 'su' command) edit /etc/smb.conf and add:
    >
    > +++++ smb.conf addition of a share
    > [hdrive]
    > path = /Volumes/MerlinData/hdrive
    > writable = yes
    > comment = JvW main development drive, sources
    > +++++ end smb.conf section
    >
    > This is then available as \\macmerlin\hdrive
    > (after restarting samba, or rebooting the MAC :-)
    >
    >> It seemed to work perfectly under Panther, but under Tiger, nothing
    >> seems to work.

    > Never used Panther, but Tiger works great for me.
    >
    >> Now I use an FTP server on the eCS machine, and mount the FTP site as
    >> a folder on Mac.

    > I have used that too, with the NetDrive plugin, sometimes had
    > some problems with file-permissions when writing files to the MAC.
    > Probably related to using FileCommander though (FC/2)
    >
    > It seems to use weird file-open semantics on copying since I see
    > the same behaviour sometimes on regular shares, where a copy
    > in the filecommander () fails on a 'permission denied' and a
    > direct 'copy' from its commandline succeeeds.
    >
    > Regards, JvW

  5. Re: networking to a Mac?

    Hi Jan,

    Jan van Wijk wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 04:34:39 UTC, "Neil Waldhauer" wrote:
    >
    >>> Has anyone here had success with file share networking between eCS and
    >>> and Intel Mac?

    > Yes, with amazingly easy setup really ...
    >
    > I am running Tiger (10.4.9 I think)

    That's what I'm running also.

    > All I did was eneable the "Windows sharing" sharing on the MAC side.
    > (This is in the "Sharing" applet that is in the system configuration)

    Yes, I have that also, as well as 'Personal File Sharing' (tho with or
    without the latter seems to make no difference in the results).

    > It tells you the information can now be accessed as "\\a.b.c.d\username
    >
    > Where the a.b.c.d.is your MAC's IP address and username the logged on user.
    > That works just fine, but it is easier to use the "compter name" that is displayed
    > at the top of that "sharing" dialog. Mine is called 'macmerlin', so the share is:
    >
    > net use m: \\macmerlin\jvw
    >
    > Works perfectly.

    The corresponding command for me is

    net use m: \\macpro\dushanmitrovich

    (I got stuck with that 'short name' before OS X informed me that it was
    unchangable.) But when I issue that command, I am informed that 'The
    system cannot connect to that server' (NET2758).

    Normally from my eCS virtual machine I use the route 'Local Network -->
    Network Utilities --> File and Print Client Resourse Browser' which
    brings up a window that in a few seconds is populated by three icons:
    ECS, ECSVM, MACPRO. Activating 'ECS' shows the partitions on the PC,
    but activating 'MACPRO' brings up a Login box, even tho I've already
    logged into the WORKGROUP. Depending on what I enter there, I get
    either a 'SYS0005: Access Denied', or 'The requester is already running'.

    > Note that 'macmerlin' is the NETBIOS machine name, the TCP/IP
    > hostname assigned to it is 'macmerlin.local' for some reason.
    >
    > I connect to it both from Warp4 and eCS 1.2 in a Parallels VM on the
    > same MAC, and from my Thinkpad T42 over a wireless connection.
    >
    > They just have TCP/IP and Netbios-over-TCPIP configured.

    That's also what I've got.

    > I use the same userid ('jvw') at both ends though, with the same
    > password. Not sure that is required/significant, but it may be.
    > My experiences with Windows-NT/XP sharing is that it is :-)

    Ditto.

    > After this worked I also updated the samba configuration

    On the Mac? Which newer version did you use? Maybe I should
    try that.

    > to make shares for two of my main diretory trees on the MAC.
    > As ROOT (use the 'su' command) edit /etc/smb.conf and add:
    >
    > +++++ smb.conf addition of a share
    > [hdrive]
    > path = /Volumes/MerlinData/hdrive
    > writable = yes
    > comment = JvW main development drive, sources
    > +++++ end smb.conf section
    >
    > This is then available as \\macmerlin\hdrive
    > (after restarting samba, or rebooting the MAC :-)
    >
    >> It seemed to work perfectly under Panther, but under Tiger, nothing
    >> seems to work.

    > Never used Panther, but Tiger works great for me.
    >
    >> Now I use an FTP server on the eCS machine, and mount the FTP site as
    >> a folder on Mac.

    > I have used that too, with the NetDrive plugin, sometimes had
    > some problems with file-permissions when writing files to the MAC.
    > Probably related to using FileCommander though (FC/2)
    >
    > It seems to use weird file-open semantics on copying since I see
    > the same behaviour sometimes on regular shares, where a copy
    > in the filecommander () fails on a 'permission denied' and a
    > direct 'copy' from its commandline succeeeds.
    >
    > Regards, JvW

    Thanks for this detailed description Jan. It's good to know
    that it can be done. I'll keep experimenting with it, I hope
    not to the extent of messing up my system.

    - Dushan

  6. Re: networking to a Mac?

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 17:11:05 UTC, DushanM wrote:

    > > net use m: \\macmerlin\jvw
    > >
    > > Works perfectly.

    > The corresponding command for me is
    >
    > net use m: \\macpro\dushanmitrovich
    >
    > (I got stuck with that 'short name' before OS X informed me that it was
    > unchangable.)

    And do you use the SAME username on the eCS side ?

    If not you are in for a lot of extra problems with access rights
    etc, and needing to specify credentials on certain commands.

    >But when I issue that command, I am informed that 'The
    > system cannot connect to that server' (NET2758).

    And you are 100% sure that the name listed by the mac is 'macpro' ?

    > Normally from my eCS virtual machine I use the route 'Local Network -->
    > Network Utilities --> File and Print Client Resourse Browser' which
    > brings up a window that in a few seconds is populated by three icons:
    > ECS, ECSVM, MACPRO.

    OK, so the MACPRO seems to be there allright ...

    >Activating 'ECS' shows the partitions on the PC,
    > but activating 'MACPRO' brings up a Login box, even tho I've already
    > logged into the WORKGROUP.

    But withe SAME username as the MAC ?
    If not, that is what you may need to specify there ...

    >Depending on what I enter there, I get
    > either a 'SYS0005: Access Denied', or 'The requester is already running'.

    > > After this worked I also updated the samba configuration

    > On the Mac? Which newer version did you use?
    >Maybe I should try that.

    I did not update the samba software, I updated its configuration
    file to add a few shares ...

    > > to make shares for two of my main diretory trees on the MAC.
    > > As ROOT (use the 'su' command) edit /etc/smb.conf and add:
    > >
    > > +++++ smb.conf addition of a share
    > > [hdrive]
    > > path = /Volumes/MerlinData/hdrive
    > > writable = yes
    > > comment = JvW main development drive, sources
    > > +++++ end smb.conf section
    > >
    > > This is then available as \\macmerlin\hdrive
    > > (after restarting samba, or rebooting the MAC :-)

    > Thanks for this detailed description Jan. It's good to know
    > that it can be done. I'll keep experimenting with it, I hope
    > not to the extent of messing up my system.

    You're welcome.
    Hope it helps ...

    Regards, JvW

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  7. Re: networking to a Mac?

    Jan van Wijk wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 17:11:05 UTC, DushanM wrote:
    >
    >>> net use m: \\macmerlin\jvw
    >>>
    >>> Works perfectly.

    >> The corresponding command for me is
    >>
    >> net use m: \\macpro\dushanmitrovich
    >>
    >> (I got stuck with that 'short name' before OS X informed me that it was
    >> unchangable.)

    > And do you use the SAME username on the eCS side ?
    >
    > If not you are in for a lot of extra problems with access rights
    > etc, and needing to specify credentials on certain commands.

    Aha! No, on the eCS side the name is 'dushanm'. So 'permissions' have
    bit me again! I've intended to change that long shortname to 'dushanm',
    and now I have extra incentive.

    >> But when I issue that command, I am informed that 'The
    >> system cannot connect to that server' (NET2758).

    > And you are 100% sure that the name listed by the mac is 'macpro' ?

    Yes, of that I'm sure.

    >> Normally from my eCS virtual machine I use the route 'Local Network -->
    >> Network Utilities --> File and Print Client Resourse Browser' which
    >> brings up a window that in a few seconds is populated by three icons:
    >> ECS, ECSVM, MACPRO.

    > OK, so the MACPRO seems to be there allright ...
    >
    >> Activating 'ECS' shows the partitions on the PC,
    >> but activating 'MACPRO' brings up a Login box, even tho I've already
    >> logged into the WORKGROUP.

    > But withe SAME username as the MAC ?
    > If not, that is what you may need to specify there ...
    >
    >> Depending on what I enter there, I get
    >> either a 'SYS0005: Access Denied', or 'The requester is already running'.

    >>> After this worked I also updated the samba configuration

    >> On the Mac? Which newer version did you use?
    >> Maybe I should try that.

    > I did not update the samba software, I updated its configuration
    > file to add a few shares ...

    Oh.

    >>> to make shares for two of my main diretory trees on the MAC.
    >>> As ROOT (use the 'su' command) edit /etc/smb.conf and add:
    >>>
    >>> +++++ smb.conf addition of a share
    >>> [hdrive]
    >>> path = /Volumes/MerlinData/hdrive
    >>> writable = yes
    >>> comment = JvW main development drive, sources
    >>> +++++ end smb.conf section
    >>>
    >>> This is then available as \\macmerlin\hdrive
    >>> (after restarting samba, or rebooting the MAC :-)

    >> Thanks for this detailed description Jan. It's good to know
    >> that it can be done. I'll keep experimenting with it, I hope
    >> not to the extent of messing up my system.

    > You're welcome.
    > Hope it helps ...

    It sure does, Jan. I'll straighten out the name problem first, then try
    it all again.

    - Dushan

  8. Re: networking to a Mac?

    On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 00:33:41 UTC, DushanM wrote:
    > Jan van Wijk wrote:
    > > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 17:11:05 UTC, DushanM wrote:
    > >
    > >> The corresponding command for me is
    > >> net use m: \\macpro\dushanmitrovich
    > >>
    > >> (I got stuck with that 'short name' before OS X informed me that it was
    > >> unchangable.)

    > > And do you use the SAME username on the eCS side ?
    > > If not you are in for a lot of extra problems with access rights
    > > etc, and needing to specify credentials on certain commands.

    > Aha! No, on the eCS side the name is 'dushanm'. So 'permissions' have
    > bit me again! I've intended to change that long shortname to 'dushanm',
    > and now I have extra incentive.

    Changing the shortname can either be hell or wonderfully simple. AFAICT,
    relatively few people know the simple way; here it is:

    Details:
    - open Mac HD->Users
    - rename your home folder, i.e. the one that's currently named
    "dushanmitrovich" (avoid uppercase letters & spaces)
    - restart the machine & log in as normal
    - when the system can't find a home folder with the right name,
    it will create a new one - your system will come up with a
    generic desktop & none of your data will be available
    - open System Preferences->Accounts & start creating a new account
    - choose a log-in name that's different than your original, then
    replace whatever the system fills in for shortname with *exactly*
    the same name you gave your home folder - THIS IS CRITICAL!
    (btw, don't forget to give the account Admin privileges)
    - when you press the 'Create Account' button, it will popup a
    message that a folder with this name exists & will ask if
    you want to use it. Answer YES!
    - now log out of the existing account & into the new account -
    everything will be exactly as it had been (except for the
    short name)
    - once you're where you want to be, you can delete the empty
    "dushanmitrovich" account

    FWIW... I've guided many people through this process & it has
    always worked. In the unlikely event that you're locked out of
    some of your folders, do this:
    - in Users, select your home folder, then do a GetInfo
    - expand the Ownership & Permissions section and confirm that
    the owner is correct - if not, unlock the padlock, select
    the correct owner, then relock the padlock
    - with the padlock next to owner _locked_, press the button
    labelled 'Apply to enclosed items' - this may take a few
    moments to complete
    - you may have to restart to get the system to notice the
    changes

    > >> But when I issue that command, I am informed that 'The
    > >> system cannot connect to that server' (NET2758).

    > > And you are 100% sure that the name listed by the mac is 'macpro' ?

    > Yes, of that I'm sure.

    "I'm sure", as in "yes, I've opened System Prefs->Sharing and the
    computer name at the top of the window says 'macpro'"?

    --
    == == almost usable email address: rws AT e-vertise.com == ==

    | Remote Workplace Server v0.80
    Rich Walsh | interact with the WPS from any program
    Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/rws/rws080.zip

  9. Re: networking to a Mac?

    Rich Walsh wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 00:33:41 UTC, DushanM wrote:
    >> Jan van Wijk wrote:

    >>> And do you use the SAME username on the eCS side ?
    >>> If not you are in for a lot of extra problems with access rights
    >>> etc, and needing to specify credentials on certain commands.

    >> Aha! No, on the eCS side the name is 'dushanm'. So 'permissions' have
    >> bit me again! I've intended to change that long shortname to 'dushanm',
    >> and now I have extra incentive.

    > Changing the shortname can either be hell or wonderfully simple. AFAICT,
    > relatively few people know the simple way; here it is:

    > Details:
    > - open Mac HD->Users
    > - rename your home folder, i.e. the one that's currently named
    > "dushanmitrovich" (avoid uppercase letters & spaces)
    > - restart the machine & log in as normal
    > - when the system can't find a home folder with the right name,
    > it will create a new one - your system will come up with a
    > generic desktop & none of your data will be available
    > - open System Preferences->Accounts & start creating a new account
    > - choose a log-in name that's different than your original, then
    > replace whatever the system fills in for shortname with *exactly*
    > the same name you gave your home folder - THIS IS CRITICAL!
    > (btw, don't forget to give the account Admin privileges)
    > - when you press the 'Create Account' button, it will popup a
    > message that a folder with this name exists & will ask if
    > you want to use it. Answer YES!
    > - now log out of the existing account & into the new account -
    > everything will be exactly as it had been (except for the
    > short name)
    > - once you're where you want to be, you can delete the empty
    > "dushanmitrovich" account

    This sounds terrific, Rich. Thanks. I had considered using the
    program 'ChangeShortName-1.3', but your procedure looks even more
    straightforward. Will the above steps end up changing the shortname
    in every reference to it?

    > FWIW... I've guided many people through this process & it has
    > always worked. In the unlikely event that you're locked out of
    > some of your folders, do this:
    > - in Users, select your home folder, then do a GetInfo
    > - expand the Ownership & Permissions section and confirm that
    > the owner is correct - if not, unlock the padlock, select
    > the correct owner, then relock the padlock
    > - with the padlock next to owner _locked_, press the button
    > labelled 'Apply to enclosed items' - this may take a few
    > moments to complete
    > - you may have to restart to get the system to notice the
    > changes

    >>> And you are 100% sure that the name listed by the mac is 'macpro' ?

    >> Yes, of that I'm sure.

    > "I'm sure", as in "yes, I've opened System Prefs->Sharing and the
    > computer name at the top of the window says 'macpro'"?

    Yes, except that it reads 'MacPro'. My understanding is that in OS X,
    just as in OS/2 and eCS, the case is recognized but ignored. Is this
    wrong in this context? For passwords I do know that case is important.

    - Dushan

  10. Re: networking to a Mac?

    Rich Walsh wrote:
> [...]

    > - expand the Ownership & Permissions section and confirm that
    > the owner is correct - if not, unlock the padlock, select
    > the correct owner, then relock the padlock
    > - with the padlock next to owner _locked_, press the button
    > labelled 'Apply to enclosed items' - this may take a few
    > moments to complete
    > - you may have to restart to get the system to notice the
    > changes

    >>> And you are 100% sure that the name listed by the mac is 'macpro' ?

    >> Yes, of that I'm sure.

    > "I'm sure", as in "yes, I've opened System Prefs->Sharing and the
    > computer name at the top of the window says 'macpro'"?

    Yes, except that it reads 'MacPro'. My understanding is that in OS X,
    just as in OS/2 and eCS, the case is recognized but ignored. Is this
    wrong in this context? For passwords I do know that case is important.

  11. Re: networking to a Mac?

    On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 17:50:15 UTC, DushanM wrote:
    > Rich Walsh wrote:
    > >
    > > Changing the shortname can either be hell or wonderfully simple.
    > > AFAICT, relatively few people know the simple way; here it is:

    > > Details:
    > > - open Mac HD->Users
    > > - rename your home folder, i.e. the one that's currently named
    > > "dushanmitrovich" (avoid uppercase letters & spaces)
    > > - restart the machine & log in as normal
    > > - when the system can't find a home folder with the right name,
    > > it will create a new one - your system will come up with a
    > > generic desktop & none of your data will be available
    > > - open System Preferences->Accounts & start creating a new account
    > > - choose a log-in name that's different than your original, then
    > > replace whatever the system fills in for shortname with *exactly*
    > > the same name you gave your home folder - THIS IS CRITICAL!
    > > (btw, don't forget to give the account Admin privileges)
    > > - when you press the 'Create Account' button, it will popup a
    > > message that a folder with this name exists & will ask if
    > > you want to use it. Answer YES!
    > > - now log out of the existing account & into the new account -
    > > everything will be exactly as it had been (except for the
    > > short name)
    > > - once you're where you want to be, you can delete the empty
    > > "dushanmitrovich" account

    > This sounds terrific, Rich. Thanks. I had considered using the
    > program 'ChangeShortName-1.3', but your procedure looks even more
    > straightforward. Will the above steps end up changing the shortname
    > in every reference to it?

    I've never owned a Mac myself, so I really don't know. However, I
    wouldn't expect there to many (if any) direct references to this
    folder. Any paths to the contents of your home folder should start
    with "~/", e.g. "~/Photos/iPhoto", rather than
    "/Users/dushanm/Photos/iPhoto". I do know that all of the standard
    apps like iPhoto or iTunes will work as soon as you log in to the
    renamed account. The account creation procedure should take care
    of any ownership issues - and if it doesn't, just follow the "change
    owner" procedure I described.

    BTW... just in case, I'd use the same password with the new account
    that I used with the old one to avoid possible problems with your
    login-keychain. I'd expect that the system would revise its password
    when you (re)create the account, so this should be a non-issue. If
    you get a password prompt when opening, e.g., Safari, open
    Applications->Utilities->Keychain Access and change the its password
    to match your login password. Log out then back in to get everything
    in sync.

    > > FWIW... I've guided many people through this process & it has
    > > always worked. In the unlikely event that you're locked out of
    > > some of your folders, do this:
    > > - in Users, select your home folder, then do a GetInfo
    > > - expand the Ownership & Permissions section and confirm that
    > > the owner is correct - if not, unlock the padlock, select
    > > the correct owner, then relock the padlock
    > > - with the padlock next to owner _locked_, press the button
    > > labelled 'Apply to enclosed items' - this may take a few
    > > moments to complete
    > > - you may have to restart to get the system to notice the
    > > changes

    > >> Yes, of that I'm sure.

    > > "I'm sure", as in "yes, I've opened System Prefs->Sharing and the
    > > computer name at the top of the window says 'macpro'"?

    > Yes, except that it reads 'MacPro'. My understanding is that in OS X,
    > just as in OS/2 and eCS, the case is recognized but ignored. Is this
    > wrong in this context? For passwords I do know that case is important.

    The HFS+ _filesystem_ is case-preserving but that's not what your
    dealing with here. You're working with SMB/CIFS. I don't know if
    it is case-sensitive when it comes to host names. I'd start with
    "MacPro" and take it from there.

    --
    == == almost usable email address: rws AT e-vertise.com == ==

    | Remote Workplace Server v0.80
    Rich Walsh | interact with the WPS from any program
    Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/rws/rws080.zip

  12. Re: networking to a Mac?

    Rich Walsh wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 17:50:15 UTC, DushanM wrote:
    >> Rich Walsh wrote:
    >>> Changing the shortname can either be hell or wonderfully simple.
    >>> AFAICT, relatively few people know the simple way; here it is:

    >>> Details:
    >>> - open Mac HD->Users
    >>> - rename your home folder, i.e. the one that's currently named
    >>> "dushanmitrovich" (avoid uppercase letters & spaces)
    >>> - restart the machine & log in as normal
    >>> - when the system can't find a home folder with the right name,
    >>> it will create a new one - your system will come up with a
    >>> generic desktop & none of your data will be available
    >>> - open System Preferences->Accounts & start creating a new account
    >>> - choose a log-in name that's different than your original, then
    >>> replace whatever the system fills in for shortname with *exactly*
    >>> the same name you gave your home folder - THIS IS CRITICAL!
    >>> (btw, don't forget to give the account Admin privileges)
    >>> - when you press the 'Create Account' button, it will popup a
    >>> message that a folder with this name exists & will ask if
    >>> you want to use it. Answer YES!
    >>> - now log out of the existing account & into the new account -
    >>> everything will be exactly as it had been (except for the
    >>> short name)
    >>> - once you're where you want to be, you can delete the empty
    >>> "dushanmitrovich" account

    >> This sounds terrific, Rich. Thanks. I had considered using the
    >> program 'ChangeShortName-1.3', but your procedure looks even more
    >> straightforward. Will the above steps end up changing the shortname
    >> in every reference to it?

    > I've never owned a Mac myself, so I really don't know. However, I
    > wouldn't expect there to many (if any) direct references to this
    > folder. Any paths to the contents of your home folder should start
    > with "~/", e.g. "~/Photos/iPhoto", rather than
    > "/Users/dushanm/Photos/iPhoto". I do know that all of the standard
    > apps like iPhoto or iTunes will work as soon as you log in to the
    > renamed account. The account creation procedure should take care
    > of any ownership issues - and if it doesn't, just follow the "change
    > owner" procedure I described.

    I'm impressed, Rich, how did you ever discover all these procedures if
    you don't own a Mac?

    > BTW... just in case, I'd use the same password with the new account
    > that I used with the old one to avoid possible problems with your
    > login-keychain. I'd expect that the system would revise its password
    > when you (re)create the account, so this should be a non-issue. If
    > you get a password prompt when opening, e.g., Safari, open
    > Applications->Utilities->Keychain Access and change the its password
    > to match your login password. Log out then back in to get everything
    > in sync.

    Yes, I intend to use the same password.

    >>> FWIW... I've guided many people through this process & it has
    >>> always worked. In the unlikely event that you're locked out of
    >>> some of your folders, do this:
    >>> - in Users, select your home folder, then do a GetInfo
    >>> - expand the Ownership & Permissions section and confirm that
    >>> the owner is correct - if not, unlock the padlock, select
    >>> the correct owner, then relock the padlock
    >>> - with the padlock next to owner _locked_, press the button
    >>> labelled 'Apply to enclosed items' - this may take a few
    >>> moments to complete
    >>> - you may have to restart to get the system to notice the
    >>> changes

    >>> "I'm sure", as in "yes, I've opened System Prefs->Sharing and the
    >>> computer name at the top of the window says 'macpro'"?

    >> Yes, except that it reads 'MacPro'. My understanding is that in OS X,
    >> just as in OS/2 and eCS, the case is recognized but ignored. Is this
    >> wrong in this context? For passwords I do know that case is important.

    > The HFS+ _filesystem_ is case-preserving but that's not what your
    > dealing with here. You're working with SMB/CIFS. I don't know if
    > it is case-sensitive when it comes to host names. I'd start with
    > "MacPro" and take it from there.

    Yep, that sounds like the safe way to do it.

    - Dushan

+ Reply to Thread