OS/2 and other "cults" - OS2

This is a discussion on OS/2 and other "cults" - OS2 ; Saw a car registration the other day that reminded me of the one on my old Velocette motorcycle over 40 years ago, and I recalled that Velocette ownership was considered to be somewhat "cultish" then (why ride a Norton or ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

  1. OS/2 and other "cults"

    Saw a car registration the other day that reminded me of the one on my
    old Velocette motorcycle over 40 years ago, and I recalled that
    Velocette ownership was considered to be somewhat "cultish" then (why
    ride a Norton or a Triumph, or -- I shudder to mention it -- some
    Italian or Japanese piece of junk when one could ride a classic British
    -- despite the name -- motorcycle with character?), just as the use of
    OS/2 seems to be considered now.

    So it occurred to me to wonder whether many of us "OS/2 cultists" are
    members of other "cults" (not in the religious sense) too.

    Perce

  2. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    On Jul 13, 9:44 pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
    > Saw a car registration the other day that reminded me of the one on my
    > old Velocette motorcycle over 40 years ago, and I recalled that
    > Velocette ownership was considered to be somewhat "cultish" then (why
    > ride a Norton or a Triumph, or -- I shudder to mention it -- some
    > Italian or Japanese piece of junk when one could ride a classic British
    > -- despite the name -- motorcycle with character?), just as the use of
    > OS/2 seems to be considered now.
    >
    > So it occurred to me to wonder whether many of us "OS/2 cultists" are
    > members of other "cults" (not in the religious sense) too.
    >
    > Perce

    Moto Guzzi forever!! (2003 Aluminum here)

  3. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    In article ,
    "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

    >So it occurred to me to wonder whether many of us "OS/2 cultists" are
    >members of other "cults" (not in the religious sense) too.

    I have MAD (Micro Channel Addictive Disorder)... some people restore and use
    vintage cars. I restore and use vintage IBM PS/2 computers. OS/2 is a good
    OS for them.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

  4. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 01:44:49 UTC, "Percival P. Cassidy"
    wrote:

    > Saw a car registration the other day that reminded me of the one on my
    > old Velocette motorcycle over 40 years ago, and I recalled that
    > Velocette ownership was considered to be somewhat "cultish" then (why
    > ride a Norton or a Triumph, or -- I shudder to mention it -- some
    > Italian or Japanese piece of junk when one could ride a classic British
    > -- despite the name -- motorcycle with character?), just as the use of
    > OS/2 seems to be considered now.
    >
    > So it occurred to me to wonder whether many of us "OS/2 cultists" are
    > members of other "cults" (not in the religious sense) too.
    >
    > Perce

    Me, I participate in the Killer Hobby: Heavy Industrial Preservation
    (large flat belt driven machine tools and the like, and I don't mean
    photos, blueprints, and idle chin-wags over drinky-poos). All my
    Win-dummy friends never cease to be amazed by how "MM deficient
    OS/" can "rip and burn" with Tonigy, Warpgogo, etc, with such
    ease and simplicity, not to mention stream audio with Z, sans browser.

    Fred and Hugh, along with $5 Bill O'Brady, encountered Billie the Giant
    Space Bunny on the way to Mars while riding a Norton.

    Pete

    --

  5. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    in 228024 20070714 024449 "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
    >Saw a car registration the other day that reminded me of the one on my
    >old Velocette motorcycle over 40 years ago, and I recalled that
    >Velocette ownership was considered to be somewhat "cultish" then (why
    >ride a Norton or a Triumph, or -- I shudder to mention it -- some
    >Italian or Japanese piece of junk when one could ride a classic British
    >-- despite the name -- motorcycle with character?), just as the use of
    >OS/2 seems to be considered now.

    I hope it wasn't an LE - that was definitely "cultish".

    >So it occurred to me to wonder whether many of us "OS/2 cultists" are
    >members of other "cults" (not in the religious sense) too.
    >
    >Perce

  6. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    On 07/14/07 04:18 am Bob Martin wrote:

    >> Saw a car registration the other day that reminded me of the one on my
    >> old Velocette motorcycle over 40 years ago, and I recalled that
    >> Velocette ownership was considered to be somewhat "cultish" then (why
    >> ride a Norton or a Triumph, or -- I shudder to mention it -- some
    >> Italian or Japanese piece of junk when one could ride a classic British
    >> -- despite the name -- motorcycle with character?), just as the use of
    >> OS/2 seems to be considered now.

    > I hope it wasn't an LE - that was definitely "cultish".

    No. The one of whose registration I was reminded was a 350 (MAC??). It
    was replaced by a Venom.

    BTW, the most truly "cultish" motorcycle, IMO, was the Scott.

    Perce

  7. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    In article
    nobody@notmyISP.net "Percival P. Cassidy" writes:

    > [re: persistent Velocette fandom]
    >
    > So it occurred to me to wonder whether many of us "OS/2
    > cultists" are members of other "cults" (not in the religious
    > sense) too.

    In the sense that I care about how things are designed and made,
    I must be a holder of one of those Universal Membership cards.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  8. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    > Saw a car registration the other day that reminded me of the one on my
    > old Velocette motorcycle over 40 years ago, and I recalled that
    > Velocette ownership was considered to be somewhat "cultish" then (why
    > ride a Norton or a Triumph, or -- I shudder to mention it -- some
    > Italian or Japanese piece of junk when one could ride a classic British
    > -- despite the name -- motorcycle with character?), just as the use of
    > OS/2 seems to be considered now.
    >
    > So it occurred to me to wonder whether many of us "OS/2 cultists" are
    > members of other "cults" (not in the religious sense) too.
    >
    > Perce

    Land_rover Defenders (and Series vehicles), and Psion Organisers. I use
    MiniDisc music players, and I like Betamax too...

    Stuart

  9. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 21:38:18 UTC, Stuart Gray
    wrote:

    > Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    > > Saw a car registration the other day that reminded me of the one on my
    > > old Velocette motorcycle over 40 years ago, and I recalled that
    > > Velocette ownership was considered to be somewhat "cultish" then (why
    > > ride a Norton or a Triumph, or -- I shudder to mention it -- some
    > > Italian or Japanese piece of junk when one could ride a classic British
    > > -- despite the name -- motorcycle with character?), just as the use of
    > > OS/2 seems to be considered now.
    > >
    > > So it occurred to me to wonder whether many of us "OS/2 cultists" are
    > > members of other "cults" (not in the religious sense) too.
    > >
    > > Perce

    > Land_rover Defenders (and Series vehicles), and Psion Organisers. I use
    > MiniDisc music players, and I like Betamax too...

    I once had a Series I...!

    --
    Bob Eager

  10. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 21:38:18 UTC, Stuart Gray
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    >>
    >>>Saw a car registration the other day that reminded me of the one on my
    >>>old Velocette motorcycle over 40 years ago, and I recalled that
    >>>Velocette ownership was considered to be somewhat "cultish" then (why
    >>>ride a Norton or a Triumph, or -- I shudder to mention it -- some
    >>>Italian or Japanese piece of junk when one could ride a classic British
    >>>-- despite the name -- motorcycle with character?), just as the use of
    >>>OS/2 seems to be considered now.
    >>>
    >>>So it occurred to me to wonder whether many of us "OS/2 cultists" are
    >>>members of other "cults" (not in the religious sense) too.
    >>>
    >>>Perce

    >>Land_rover Defenders (and Series vehicles), and Psion Organisers. I use
    >>MiniDisc music players, and I like Betamax too...

    > I once had a Series I...!

    Yet another connection! I just sold my Series 1 50", but it was in too
    bad a condition to restore, so I 'm not too sad.

    Stuart

  11. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    wrote:
    > So it occurred to me to wonder whether many of us "OS/2 cultists" are
    > members of other "cults" (not in the religious sense) too.

    I am firmly convinced that the future of software development is
    Executable UML (formerly called Shlaer-Mellor). I liken it to OS/2 in
    that it's a technically superior solution for it's target market that
    only has captured a small minority of the users.

    I also believe there's an noticible loss of audio quality with CD
    recordings. I'm hoping DVD-Audio or some equivalent digital format
    takes off, but I'll hang onto my vinyl for now.

    --
    Lee W. Riemenschneider
    GO BOILERS!

  12. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    Lee Riemenschneider writes:

    > I also believe there's an noticible loss of audio quality with CD
    > recordings.

    Define "quality". If the definition includes dynamic range and noise,
    then there's a noticeable loss of audio quality in analog recordings.

  13. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 14:20:34 -0400, tholen@antispam.ham wrote
    (in article <469a6571$0$3161$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>):

    > If the definition includes dynamic range and noise, then there's a noticeable

    > loss of audio quality in analog recordings.

    I'm getting the worst of all possible worlds as I digitize my LPs.

    --
    John Varela
    Trade NEW lamps for OLD for email.

  14. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    On 07/13/07 09:44 pm I wrote:

    > Saw a car registration the other day that reminded me of the one on my
    > old Velocette motorcycle over 40 years ago, and I recalled that
    > Velocette ownership was considered to be somewhat "cultish" then (why
    > ride a Norton or a Triumph, or -- I shudder to mention it -- some
    > Italian or Japanese piece of junk when one could ride a classic British
    > -- despite the name -- motorcycle with character?), just as the use of
    > OS/2 seems to be considered now.
    >
    > So it occurred to me to wonder whether many of us "OS/2 cultists" are
    > members of other "cults" (not in the religious sense) too.

    I've just realized that I belong to yet another "cult": On my main
    machine I use only SCSI hard drives (and they're all Seagate too).

    And I do regular backups to tape.

    Perce

  15. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 18:20:34 UTC, tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    > Lee Riemenschneider writes:
    > > I also believe there's an noticible loss of audio quality with CD
    > > recordings.

    > Define "quality".

    It doesn't sound as good. I'm not going to debate this in
    comp.os.os2.misc. Feel free to go to rec.audio.opinion if you want to
    get into a discussion.

    --
    Lee W. Riemenschneider
    GO BOILERS!
    Running eComStation (eCS)(the latest incarnation of OS/2)
    Buy eCS everyone! Buy it now! http://www.ecomstation.com

  16. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:05:59 UTC, "Percival P. Cassidy"
    wrote:
    > I've just realized that I belong to yet another "cult": On my main
    > machine I use only SCSI hard drives (and they're all Seagate too).
    >
    > And I do regular backups to tape.

    I'm "guilty" on both counts as well.

    --
    Lee W. Riemenschneider
    GO BOILERS!
    Running eComStation (eCS)(the latest incarnation of OS/2)
    Buy eCS everyone! Buy it now! http://www.ecomstation.com

  17. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

    > ride a Norton or a Triumph, or -- I shudder to mention it -- some
    > Italian or Japanese piece of junk when one could ride a classic
    > British -- despite the name -- motorcycle with character?), just as
    > the use of OS/2 seems to be considered now.

    Regardless the fact I consider dumb comparing a piece of software to a
    motorbike, I am curious to know what you mean by Italian junk. Our
    motorcycle industry has always been top notch - past years and today - don't
    you watch the races?

    Besides, I never heard of a Scott or a Mac, for sometime I have bought a few
    magazines, both Italian and US ones, about classic biking and I never ever
    spotted one of these names. I googled some pictures and they just look like
    cheap copies of Guzzi and BMW models of the time - sorry but the Axis always
    had better vehicles anyway...

    Oh, God bless the British...The only ones left in the world who are allowed
    to be blindly nationalist... :-)

    Riccardo

  18. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    Lee Riemenschneider writes:

    >>> I also believe there's an noticible loss of audio quality with CD
    >>> recordings.

    >> Define "quality".

    > It doesn't sound as good.

    Define "as good". Which is better, a digital recording with brittle high
    frequencies, allegedly due to the sampling rate being too low, or an
    analog recording with compression, and pops due to dust in the grooves
    or hiss due to the limited dynamic range of tape?

    > I'm not going to debate this in comp.os.os2.misc.

    Then why did you raise the issue in comp.os.os2.misc?

    > Feel free to go to rec.audio.opinion if you want to
    > get into a discussion.

    That's not where you posted your opinion.

  19. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    On 07/17/07 04:03 am Riccardo Rubini wrote:

    >> ride a Norton or a Triumph, or -- I shudder to mention it -- some
    >> Italian or Japanese piece of junk when one could ride a classic
    >> British -- despite the name -- motorcycle with character?), just as
    >> the use of OS/2 seems to be considered now.

    > Regardless the fact I consider dumb comparing a piece of software to a
    > motorbike,

    I wasn't comparing software to a motorcycle. I was wondering whether
    there is a particular personality type that gravitates toward the good
    but unpopular -- that does not follow the herd -- in many different fields.

    I am curious to know what you mean by Italian junk. Our
    > motorcycle industry has always been top notch - past years and today - don't
    > you watch the races?

    Don't forget that I was talking about the motorcycle scene in Britain
    more than 40 years ago, when we thought that the only good motorcycles
    were British ones -- and not all of those either. The only Italian
    2-wheel vehicles I recall from that time were Vespa and Lambretta
    scooters. MV Agusta race machines were doing wonderful things but
    probably lasted only as far as the finish line -- a new bike for every
    race. I don't recall any Italian "real motorcycles" that one could
    actually buy

    > Besides, I never heard of a Scott or a Mac, for sometime I have bought a few
    > magazines, both Italian and US ones, about classic biking and I .never ever
    > spotted one of these names. I googled some pictures and they just look like
    > cheap copies of Guzzi and BMW models of the time - sorry but the Axis always
    > had better vehicles anyway...

    "MAC" was the name of a specific Velocette model:

    http://www.realclassic.co.uk/velocette05083100.html

    OHC Velocettes used to wipe the board at the Isle of Man TT races during
    the 1930s, but I think the company closed its doors in the 1970s.

    Scotts were twin-cylinder water-cooled two-stroke (AmE: two-cycle)
    machines that ran on straight gasoline and had a drip-feed lubrication
    system: there was a tank full of oil, with the flow rate adjusted using
    a sight glass to watch the drips. After doing its job, the oil burned up
    and contributed to the exhaust gases. People said that it was not
    uncommon for the engine to start running backwards while idling!! I
    understand that in the late 1950s and early 1960s they were building one
    every two weeks and had a 2-year waiting list. I am sure they are no
    longer being made.

    > Oh, God bless the British...The only ones left in the world who are allowed
    > to be blindly nationalist... :-)

    Well, of course. "The sun never sets on the British Empire" and all that.

    Perce

  20. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 10:03:13 +0200, Riccardo Rubini
    wrote:
    > Besides, I never heard of a Scott or a Mac, for sometime I have bought a few
    > magazines, both Italian and US ones, about classic biking and I never ever
    > spotted one of these names. I googled some pictures and they just look like
    > cheap copies of Guzzi and BMW models of the time - sorry but the Axis always
    > had better vehicles anyway...
    >
    > Oh, God bless the British...The only ones left in the world who are allowed
    > to be blindly nationalist... :-)

    Nah. There are far more nationalistic countries out there than Britain.
    Especially when it comes to motor vehicles...

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).