OS/2 and other "cults" - OS2

This is a discussion on OS/2 and other "cults" - OS2 ; Percival P. Cassidy wrote: >> Oh, God bless the British...The only ones left in the world who are >> allowed to be blindly nationalist... :-) > > Well, of course. "The sun never sets on the British Empire" and all ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55

  1. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

    >> Oh, God bless the British...The only ones left in the world who are
    >> allowed to be blindly nationalist... :-)

    > Well, of course. "The sun never sets on the British Empire" and all that.
    >
    > Perce

    Particularly here in the USA when you take an Austin-Healey 100, stuff a 350HP
    FI Corvette engine in it .. and watch it float the valves in 4th at about 175
    MPH, while the Healey also sorta floats over the road as well ..

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  2. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    Mike Luther wrote:
    > Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    >
    >>> Oh, God bless the British...The only ones left in the world who are
    >>> allowed to be blindly nationalist... :-)

    >> Well, of course. "The sun never sets on the British Empire" and all that.
    >>
    >> Perce

    > Particularly here in the USA when you take an Austin-Healey 100, stuff a
    > 350HP FI Corvette engine in it .. and watch it float the valves in 4th
    > at about 175 MPH, while the Healey also sorta floats over the road as
    > well ..

    I knew a guy that put a small block Chevy in a Triumph Spitfire.

    He called it the s*itfire. The tires would spin like crazy,
    and it couldn't corner. He eventually broke the chassis.

    Bob Plyler

  3. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:37:12 UTC, Bob Plyler
    wrote:

    > He called it the s*itfire. The tires would spin like crazy,
    > and it couldn't corner. He eventually broke the chassis.

    Ah yes, but Spitfires never could corner anyway!

    --
    Bob Eager

  4. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

    > Don't forget that I was talking about the motorcycle scene in Britain
    > more than 40 years ago, when we thought that the only good motorcycles
    > were British ones -- and not all of those either. The only Italian
    > 2-wheel vehicles I recall from that time were Vespa and Lambretta
    > scooters. MV Agusta race machines were doing wonderful things but
    > probably lasted only as far as the finish line -- a new bike for every
    > race. I don't recall any Italian "real motorcycles" that one could
    > actually buy

    There were, Perce. Probably they didn't make it big in England - or made it
    at all. After all, import taxes were still present until a decade ago or so,
    and the British usually prefer their own product - that's not necessarily a
    bad idea, I'd say. Oddly, my mandolin is US made and I bought that rather
    than a Neapolitan one. I think no British guy would have done such a
    sacrilege, but I did, and I paid it 5 times what an Italian mandolin costs.
    Probably it wasn't a really smart idea: it sounds great, but those Italians
    probably were good as well. I don't know why, but after fascism Italians got
    a mentality that autarchy is a bad thing so we have to despise our own
    product...

    My father collects old bikes from that era. In particular, he has a Guzzi
    Falcone and a Guzzi Airone. Look in Google images, there's plenty of pic,
    just look at the red ones. Furthermore, when he was real young he managed to
    buy a Bianchi Freccia Azzurra, 500 cc. Apart from his, I've seen it only in
    a documentary on Mussolini, with Mussolini riding it himself.

    >> Besides, I never heard of a Scott or a Mac, for sometime I have
    >> bought a few magazines, both Italian and US ones, about classic
    >> biking and I .never ever spotted one of these names. I googled some
    >> pictures and they just look like cheap copies of Guzzi and BMW
    >> models of the time - sorry but the Axis always had better vehicles
    >> anyway...

    > "MAC" was the name of a specific Velocette model:
    >
    > http://www.realclassic.co.uk/velocette05083100.html

    Very nice, it reminds me of the Bianchi I told you about before. I saw a
    similiar BMW once in Greece, probably a copy of the same style.

    > OHC Velocettes used to wipe the board at the Isle of Man TT races
    > during the 1930s, but I think the company closed its doors in the
    > 1970s.
    > Scotts were twin-cylinder water-cooled two-stroke (AmE: two-cycle)
    > machines that ran on straight gasoline and had a drip-feed lubrication
    > system: there was a tank full of oil, with the flow rate adjusted
    > using a sight glass to watch the drips. After doing its job, the oil
    > burned
    > up and contributed to the exhaust gases. People said that it was not
    > uncommon for the engine to start running backwards while idling!! I
    > understand that in the late 1950s and early 1960s they were building
    > one every two weeks and had a 2-year waiting list. I am sure they are
    > no longer being made.

    I am 28, but I prefer those old bikes to the new assembled ones. Those look
    like and sound like bikes, they were singularly hand made and that adds to
    their value. It's like those bikes have a soul. My hobby is music and I
    choose guitars and instruments with the same idea in mind, I don't like the
    assembled junk. Regardless how fast new bikes run, the old ones have a
    beauty of their own.

    >> Oh, God bless the British...The only ones left in the world who are
    >> allowed to be blindly nationalist... :-)

    > Well, of course. "The sun never sets on the British Empire" and all
    > that.

    :-)

    Riccardo

  5. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    Bob Plyler wrote:

    > I knew a guy that put a small block Chevy in a Triumph Spitfire.
    >
    > He called it the s*itfire. The tires would spin like crazy,
    > and it couldn't corner. He eventually broke the chassis.
    >
    > Bob Plyler

    Anglo-American hybrids have been some of the most beautiful and
    successful sports cars of the modern era. One of America's best
    Shelby shops is here in Roswell, GA (Fraser Dante) and they get
    the odd 289 and 427 Cobra on occasion. I used to have a Triumph
    TR7 (loved it!) and my best friend bought a TR8 with the Rover
    nee Buick 3.5 liter V8. A couple of hundred dollars worth of
    over-the-counter parts turned it into a "poor man's" Cobra. When
    are the British going to resurrect the Triumph mark? I hope it
    isn't allowed to slip into history...

    -Philip

    P.S. My OS/2 system sits in my office and runs like a juggernaut!

  6. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    Here in comp.os.os2.misc,
    "Percival P. Cassidy" spake unto us, saying:

    >On 07/13/07 09:44 pm I wrote:
    >
    >> So it occurred to me to wonder whether many of us "OS/2 cultists" are
    >> members of other "cults" (not in the religious sense) too.

    >I've just realized that I belong to yet another "cult": On my main
    >machine I use only SCSI hard drives (and they're all Seagate too).

    Heh. My boxes here are almost all SCSI boxes (this Micron box, my two
    IntelliStations, my two Deskpros, and my Proliant server all use SCSI
    hard disks, although most have IDE CD-ROM drives).

    SCSI made a lot of sense in the mid-to-late 1990's, at least for me,
    and that hardware appears to have been a good investment.

    >And I do regular backups to tape.

    I back my disks up to a Buffalo LinkStation on the LAN, and I back up
    the LinkStation to a dedicated USB drive, but some of that is still a
    manual process (I need to automate things more).

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  7. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    in 228053 20070717 193311 "Bob Eager" wrote:
    >On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:37:12 UTC, Bob Plyler
    > wrote:
    >
    >> He called it the s*itfire. The tires would spin like crazy,
    >> and it couldn't corner. He eventually broke the chassis.

    >Ah yes, but Spitfires never could corner anyway!

    Does anyone remember the VW Beetle with half an RR Merlin in the back?

  8. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:04:51 UTC, Bob Martin
    wrote:

    > in 228053 20070717 193311 "Bob Eager" wrote:
    > >On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:37:12 UTC, Bob Plyler
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> He called it the s*itfire. The tires would spin like crazy,
    > >> and it couldn't corner. He eventually broke the chassis.

    > >Ah yes, but Spitfires never could corner anyway!

    > Does anyone remember the VW Beetle with half an RR Merlin in the back?

    No, but I saw a road legal 'Rolls Royce' (glass fibre body) with a
    complete 27 litre Merlin in it...

    --
    Bob Eager

  9. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    Bob Martin wrote:
    > in 228053 20070717 193311 "Bob Eager" wrote:
    >> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:37:12 UTC, Bob Plyler
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> He called it the s*itfire. The tires would spin like crazy,
    >>> and it couldn't corner. He eventually broke the chassis.

    >> Ah yes, but Spitfires never could corner anyway!

    > Does anyone remember the VW Beetle with half an RR Merlin in the back?

    How about a VW Beetle with a GE?

    http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/

    Bob Plyler

  10. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:45:41 UTC, tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    > Lee Riemenschneider writes:
    >
    > > I'm not going to debate this in comp.os.os2.misc.

    > Then why did you raise the issue in comp.os.os2.misc?

    The original posting was about the psychology of OS/2 users in a
    non-advocacy (i.e., OS/2 users are wacko, or OS/2 users are more
    mentally stable than users.) fashion. Since there
    isn't a comp.os.os2.psyche group, I thought it was fine.

    --
    Lee W. Riemenschneider
    GO BOILERS!

  11. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    In , on 07/18/2007
    at 02:14 AM, rsteiner@visi.com (Richard Steiner) said:

    >Heh. My boxes here are almost all SCSI boxes (this Micron box, my
    >two IntelliStations, my two Deskpros, and my Proliant server all use
    >SCSI hard disks, although most have IDE CD-ROM drives).

    My OS/2 machine has only one IDE device, a CD-ROM drive. It's old
    enough that I'm planning to replace rather than upgrade, and I'm
    wondering whether to stick with SCSI or to look at SATA. I was almost
    convinced to go with SATA when I saw references here to driver issues.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  12. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    Lee Riemenschneider writes:

    >>> I'm not going to debate this in comp.os.os2.misc.

    >> Then why did you raise the issue in comp.os.os2.misc?

    > The original posting was about the psychology of OS/2 users in a
    > non-advocacy (i.e., OS/2 users are wacko, or OS/2 users are more
    > mentally stable than users.) fashion. Since there
    > isn't a comp.os.os2.psyche group, I thought it was fine.

    Irrelevant, given that we were talking about the relative audio
    quality of digital versus analog reproduction.

  13. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 06:47:59 UTC, "Pete"
    wrote:

    > Fred and Hugh, along with $5 Bill O'Brady, encountered Billie the Giant
    > Space Bunny on the way to Mars while riding a Norton.

    Now THERE is a cult.
    See you Tuesday after lunch. (Did the Chronicle have a Tues PM dealine for
    comic strips?)

    --
    Dan Drake
    dd@dandrake.com

  14. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:05:59 UTC, "Percival P. Cassidy"
    wrote:

    > I've just realized that I belong to yet another "cult": On my main
    > machine I use only SCSI hard drives (and they're all Seagate too).
    >
    > And I do regular backups to tape.

    Hear, hear!
    Umm... you mean there's another way?

    (Broke down last year and put a new DVD drive on That Other Interface,
    because there was little choice. Is it coincidence that all of the few
    functions I installed it for are now myseriously broken and I haven't
    taken time to fix them?)

    --
    Dan Drake
    dd@dandrake.com

  15. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 01:44:49 UTC, "Percival P. Cassidy"
    wrote:

    > So it occurred to me to wonder whether many of us "OS/2 cultists" are
    > members of other "cults" (not in the religious sense) too.

    Well, there are some intellectual ones. (Using the word neutrally, as in
    "Intellectual" Property.) Like a certain history-of-science subject that I
    cyber-stalk on Usenet. And Jacques Tati; a couple of days ago I finally
    ordered the DVD of Playtime. And old music performed so it doesn't sound
    like, dull, incompetent Romantic music. And it's fun to find oneself in a
    group that bursts on the slightest excuse into singing Flanders & Swan
    songs.

    And SCSI: thanks for bringing up that one.

    A while ago there was one of these little Internet Quiz things that tested
    one's quotients of Nerd, Geek, and Dweeb. I learned from that that you
    qualify as a Geek iff you devote huge, unreasonable amounts of time to
    being an expert in something *everybody else* devotes huge, unreasonable
    amounts of time to.

    The rest of us may have thought of ourselves as geeks, but perhaps
    Cultists is the right name.

    BTW, shouldn't we have moved this to c.o.o.advocacy or something?

    --
    Dan Drake
    dd@dandrake.com

  16. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:35:25 UTC, "Dan Drake" wrote:

    > On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 06:47:59 UTC, "Pete"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > Fred and Hugh, along with $5 Bill O'Brady, encountered Billie the Giant
    > > Space Bunny on the way to Mars while riding a Norton.
    > >

    > Now THERE is a cult.
    > See you Tuesday after lunch. (Did the Chronicle have a Tues PM dealine for
    > comic strips?)

    Dan O'Neill was in the Bay Guardian for a while about 10+ years ago (the
    horse was always playing the piano), but he's disappeared--and so has
    the Oddbodkins website. Next time I in the neighborhood of the local
    comix store, I'll have to drop in and see if they know what happened.

    Buy a Used Car! (and to HE-doubletoothpicks with General Injuns and his
    brass horse, Roy)

    Pete

    --

  17. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:22:17 UTC, Bob Plyler
    wrote:

    > Bob Martin wrote:
    > > in 228053 20070717 193311 "Bob Eager" wrote:

    > >> Ah yes, but Spitfires never could corner anyway!

    > > Does anyone remember the VW Beetle with half an RR Merlin in the back?
    > >

    > How about a VW Beetle with a GE?
    >
    > http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/
    >
    > Bob Plyler

    Reminds me of the urban legend from 20 years ago about the guy they
    found in the desert with his car stuck part way into the side of the
    mountain and a spent JATO bottle jutting out of the trunk.

    Pete

    --

  18. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    Here in comp.os.os2.misc,
    "Pete" spake unto us, saying:

    >Reminds me of the urban legend from 20 years ago about the guy they
    >found in the desert with his car stuck part way into the side of the
    >mountain and a spent JATO bottle jutting out of the trunk.

    One of the first Mythbusters episodes I ever watched covered this one
    to a certain extent.

    They couldn't legally obtain a JATO, though they tried, but they were
    able to mount a series of legal rocket engines on top of a remotely-
    controlled car which emulated the amount of force required.

    Rather entertaining to watch. :-)

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  19. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    On Jul 17, 6:39 pm, Philip Wright wrote:

    > nee Buick 3.5 liter V8. A couple of hundred dollars worth of
    > over-the-counter parts turned it into a "poor man's" Cobra. When
    > are the British going to resurrect the Triumph mark? I hope it
    > isn't allowed to slip into history...

    someone has been building Triumph motorcycles, built in England as far
    as I know, for quite a number of years now. the line, which includes
    a number of rather handsome retro models, is quite popular.

  20. Re: OS/2 and other "cults"

    rafe wrote:
    > On Jul 17, 6:39 pm, Philip Wright wrote:
    >

    >>nee Buick 3.5 liter V8. A couple of hundred dollars worth of
    >>over-the-counter parts turned it into a "poor man's" Cobra. When
    >>are the British going to resurrect the Triumph mark? I hope it
    >>isn't allowed to slip into history...

    > someone has been building Triumph motorcycles, built in England as far
    > as I know, for quite a number of years now. the line, which includes
    > a number of rather handsome retro models, is quite popular.

    They are available even here in Hong Kong.

    And they do a Harley-buster with a 2+ litre engine.

    Of course the Bonneville is the one. Even popular in the USA back in the
    '60's, I think.