scrollbar on desktop - OS2

This is a discussion on scrollbar on desktop - OS2 ; Every time I start OS/2 I have a vertical scroll bar. Move any icon in any direction any amount (including very small) and the scroll bar disappears. I have done everything I can think of, cleaning ini files, looking for ...

  1. scrollbar on desktop

    Every time I start OS/2 I have a vertical scroll bar. Move any icon in
    any direction any amount (including very small) and the scroll bar
    disappears. I have done everything I can think of, cleaning ini files,
    looking for icons below the desktop (which caused this), nice clean
    reboots etc.
    Any one have any ideas?
    Dave

  2. Re: scrollbar on desktop

    Dave Yeo wrote:
    > Every time I start OS/2 I have a vertical scroll bar. Move any icon in
    > any direction any amount (including very small) and the scroll bar
    > disappears. I have done everything I can think of, cleaning ini files,
    > looking for icons below the desktop (which caused this), nice clean
    > reboots etc.
    > Any one have any ideas?
    > Dave

    Make sure Save Desktop Properties is checked on the Desktop page of the Desktop
    Properties Notebook.

  3. Re: scrollbar on desktop

    Dave Yeo wrote:
    > Every time I start OS/2 I have a vertical scroll bar. Move any icon in
    > any direction any amount (including very small) and the scroll bar
    > disappears.
    > Any one have any ideas?

    One of your icons is a bit too close to the edge of the screen. There is
    a slight adjustment of the visible window when the desktop starts and that
    can sometimes cause a scroll bar to appear.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  4. Re: scrollbar on desktop

    On Jul 12, 2:56 pm, Jim Moe wrote:
    > Dave Yeo wrote:
    > > Every time I start OS/2 I have a vertical scroll bar. Move any icon in
    > > any direction any amount (including very small) and the scroll bar
    > > disappears.
    > > Any one have any ideas?

    > One of your icons is a bit too close to the edge of the screen. There is
    > a slight adjustment of the visible window when the desktop starts and that
    > can sometimes cause a scroll bar to appear.
    >
    > --
    > jmm (hyphen) list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
    > (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    If he is using an old version of PMView, it creates an unseen icon
    which can cause this. This icon has been eliminated in the newer
    versions of PMView.

    David

  5. Re: scrollbar on desktop

    James J. Weinkam wrote:
    > Dave Yeo wrote:
    >> Every time I start OS/2 I have a vertical scroll bar. Move any icon in
    >> any direction any amount (including very small) and the scroll bar
    >> disappears. I have done everything I can think of, cleaning ini files,
    >> looking for icons below the desktop (which caused this), nice clean
    >> reboots etc.
    >> Any one have any ideas?
    >> Dave

    > Make sure Save Desktop Properties is checked on the Desktop page of the
    > Desktop Properties Notebook.

    Yep, it is checked and always has been
    Dave

  6. Re: scrollbar on desktop

    Jim Moe wrote:
    > Dave Yeo wrote:
    >> Every time I start OS/2 I have a vertical scroll bar. Move any icon in
    >> any direction any amount (including very small) and the scroll bar
    >> disappears.
    >> Any one have any ideas?
    >>

    > One of your icons is a bit too close to the edge of the screen. There is
    > a slight adjustment of the visible window when the desktop starts and that
    > can sometimes cause a scroll bar to appear.

    They all seem quite a ways from the edge, I've now moved them further.
    We'll see on next reboot.
    Still I would expect a small scroll bar instead of a large one
    Dave
    ps no PMview here

  7. Re: scrollbar on desktop

    Dave Yeo wrote:
    > Every time I start OS/2 I have a vertical scroll bar. Move any icon in
    > any direction any amount (including very small) and the scroll bar
    > disappears. I have done everything I can think of, cleaning ini files,
    > looking for icons below the desktop (which caused this), nice clean
    > reboots etc.
    > Any one have any ideas?

    _____
    I have noticed this problem with Warp 4, FixPack 15. I had located an
    icon close to the RH border, and LOCKED it in place. I unlocked the
    icon, moved it a bit away from the edge and relocked it. This got rid
    of the scroll bar problem. The desktop icons are set for "as placed".
    --
    Regards / JCH

  8. Re: scrollbar on desktop

    on 12.07.07 06.50 Dave Yeo wrote:
    > Every time I start OS/2 I have a vertical scroll bar. Move any icon in
    > any direction any amount (including very small) and the scroll bar
    > disappears. I have done everything I can think of, cleaning ini files,
    > looking for icons below the desktop (which caused this), nice clean
    > reboots etc.
    > Any one have any ideas?
    > Dave

    Do you have XWorkplace installed? Some time ago I had the same problems.

    - Try to boot to a maintenance partition or the OS/2 command line (Alt-F1 at boot time).
    - Now rename the XWorkplace folder on your Boot drive e.g. to XWP and reboot (disable XWorkplace).
    - If the desktop shows the scroll bar move the icons so that it disappears.
    - Reboot again and make sure that the scroll bars has disappeard.
    - Rename the XWP folder back to XWorkplace and reboot (enable XWorkplace).

    This procedure solved this problem here.

    Hermann

  9. Re: scrollbar on desktop

    hermi wrote:
    > on 12.07.07 06.50 Dave Yeo wrote:
    >> Every time I start OS/2 I have a vertical scroll bar. Move any icon in
    >> any direction any amount (including very small) and the scroll bar
    >> disappears. I have done everything I can think of, cleaning ini files,
    >> looking for icons below the desktop (which caused this), nice clean
    >> reboots etc.
    >> Any one have any ideas?
    >> Dave

    > Do you have XWorkplace installed? Some time ago I had the same problems.
    >
    > - Try to boot to a maintenance partition or the OS/2 command line
    > (Alt-F1 at boot time).
    > - Now rename the XWorkplace folder on your Boot drive e.g. to XWP and
    > reboot (disable XWorkplace).
    > - If the desktop shows the scroll bar move the icons so that it disappears.
    > - Reboot again and make sure that the scroll bars has disappeard.
    > - Rename the XWP folder back to XWorkplace and reboot (enable XWorkplace).
    >
    > This procedure solved this problem here.
    >
    > Hermann

    Yes I do have XWorkplace installed. I'll try this procedure next reboot
    as so far all the icon moving hasn't helped and this sounds like a good
    idea.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread