How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly? - OS2

This is a discussion on How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly? - OS2 ; My monitor just died on me and I had to connect an old one, which cannot handle the resolution SNAP is currently set to. So all I get after booting up is a black screen. Which of the SNAP\ga*.exe programs ...

  1. How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly?

    My monitor just died on me and I had to connect an old one, which cannot
    handle the resolution SNAP is currently set to.
    So all I get after booting up is a black screen.

    Which of the SNAP\ga*.exe programs is the magic one, to set a new, lower
    resolution and refresh rate, after booting into a command line and what's the
    proper sequence for 1024 768 @ 65Hz?

    I thought gamode would be the one, but it didn't work.

  2. Re: How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly?

    Wolfi schrieb:
    > My monitor just died on me and I had to connect an old one, which cannot
    > handle the resolution SNAP is currently set to.
    > So all I get after booting up is a black screen.
    >
    > Which of the SNAP\ga*.exe programs is the magic one, to set a new, lower
    > resolution and refresh rate, after booting into a command line and
    > what's the proper sequence for 1024 768 @ 65Hz?
    >
    > I thought gamode would be the one, but it didn't work.

    gamode set 1024 768 32 65 (32-bits at 1024*768 with 65 Hertz).

    Lars

  3. Re: How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly?

    On 10.07.07 22:16, Wolfi wrote:

    > My monitor just died on me and I had to connect an old one, which
    > cannot handle the resolution SNAP is currently set to. So all I get
    > after booting up is a black screen.

    You know about Alt+F1 and reset to VGA? After that, you can reinstall
    Snap.

    From snapos2.pdf:

    Restoring Your System in Case of Failure

    If SciTech SNAP Graphics does not correctly boot on your system, you
    can easily switch back to the GENGRADD drivers to boot your system to
    a workable state again. To revert to GENGRADD, do the following:

    1. Boot to an Alt-F1/F2 command prompt mode

    2. Edit CONFIG.SYS file and change

    C1=SDDGRADD
    C1=GENGRADD

    3. Delete or rename the x:\os2\svgadata.pmi file

    4. Reboot your system.

    If that fails you will need to revert to VGA mode and reinstall your
    prior display drivers (Alt-F1/F3 for Warp 4 and later systems during
    bootup).

    Note: Even if you use GENGRADD, you should still be able to run the
    SciTech SNAP Graphics command line utilities, provided that you didn't
    remove any of the SciTech SNAP Graphics files or the
    DEVICE=X:\OS2\SDDHELP.SYS line from your CONFIG.SYS.

    > Which of the SNAP\ga*.exe programs is the magic one, to set a new,
    > lower resolution and refresh rate, after booting into a command line
    > and what's the proper sequence for 1024 768 @ 65Hz?
    >
    > I thought gamode would be the one, but it didn't work.

    epm: D:\SNAP > gamode
    GAMode - SciTech SNAP Graphics Dial-A-Mode Utility
    Copyright 1993-2006 SciTech Software, Inc.

    Valid commands are:

    gamode show [device]
    gamode showvbe [device]
    To show the list of display modes for the device. The showvbe variant
    will show the list of modes reported to VESA VBE applications.

    gamode add [device]
    To add a new display mode (automatically enabled for VESA VBE apps)

    gamode addref [device]
    To add a new refresh rate for a specific resolution. To specify an
    interlaced refresh rate, use a negative value. i.e.: use -87 for 87Hz
    interlaced modes.

    gamode del [device]
    To remove a specific display mode

    gamode set [head] [device]
    To set the default refresh rate for a specific resolution

    So apparently "gamode set" can only configure a given resolution, but
    won't switch to it?

    --
    Andreas Schnellbacher

  4. Re: How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly?

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 21:05:01 UTC, Lars Erdmann
    wrote:

    > Wolfi schrieb:
    > > My monitor just died on me and I had to connect an old one, which cannot
    > > handle the resolution SNAP is currently set to.
    > > So all I get after booting up is a black screen.
    > >
    > > Which of the SNAP\ga*.exe programs is the magic one, to set a new, lower
    > > resolution and refresh rate, after booting into a command line and
    > > what's the proper sequence for 1024  768 @ 65Hz?
    > >
    > > I thought gamode would be the one, but it didn't work.
    > >

    > gamode set 1024 768 32 65 (32-bits at 1024*768 with 65 Hertz).

    As far as I can see, that merely adds a new possible mode. It doesn't
    set it as the current one.

    --
    Bob Eager

  5. Re: How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly?

    Am 10.07.07 16.05 schrieb Lars Erdmann:
    > Wolfi schrieb:
    >> My monitor just died on me and I had to connect an old one, which
    >> cannot handle the resolution SNAP is currently set to.
    >> So all I get after booting up is a black screen.
    >>
    >> Which of the SNAP\ga*.exe programs is the magic one, to set a new,
    >> lower resolution and refresh rate, after booting into a command line
    >> and what's the proper sequence for 1024 768 @ 65Hz?
    >>
    >> I thought gamode would be the one, but it didn't work.
    >>

    > gamode set 1024 768 32 65 (32-bits at 1024*768 with 65 Hertz).

    That's exactly what I had tried, but still came up with a black screen with
    the WPS and yes, this monitor can handle it (although only barely).

  6. Re: How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly?

    On 10 Jul 2007 21:34:22 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

    >> > I thought gamode would be the one, but it didn't work.
    >> >

    >> gamode set 1024 768 32 65 (32-bits at 1024*768 with 65 Hertz).

    > As far as I can see, that merely adds a new possible mode. It doesn't
    > set it as the current one.

    Do you know where PM stores its current resolution? I thought it would be
    obvious, but it isn't...

  7. Re: How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly?

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:07:35 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:

    > >> gamode set 1024 768 32 65 (32-bits at 1024*768 with 65 Hertz).

    > > As far as I can see, that merely adds a new possible mode. It doesn't
    > > set it as the current one.

    > Do you know where PM stores its current resolution? I thought it would be
    > obvious, but it isn't...

    os2.ini, application PM_DISPLAYDRIVERS, key DEFAULTSYSTEMRESOLUTION seems
    likely. First two 4 byte fields are 1600x1200 for me and the third one is
    0x01000000 which corresponds to my 16m colour depth.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  8. Re: How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly?

    Am 10.07.07 16.15 schrieb Andreas Schnellbacher:
    > On 10.07.07 22:16, Wolfi wrote:
    >
    >> My monitor just died on me and I had to connect an old one, which
    >> cannot handle the resolution SNAP is currently set to. So all I get
    >> after booting up is a black screen.

    > You know about Alt+F1 and reset to VGA? After that, you can reinstall
    > Snap.
    >
    > From snapos2.pdf:
    >
    > Restoring Your System in Case of Failure
    >
    > If SciTech SNAP Graphics does not correctly boot on your system, you
    > can easily switch back to the GENGRADD drivers to boot your system to
    > a workable state again. To revert to GENGRADD, do the following:
    >
    > 1. Boot to an Alt-F1/F2 command prompt mode
    >
    > 2. Edit CONFIG.SYS file and change
    >
    > C1=SDDGRADD
    > C1=GENGRADD
    >
    > 3. Delete or rename the x:\os2\svgadata.pmi file
    >
    > 4. Reboot your system.
    >
    > If that fails you will need to revert to VGA mode and reinstall your
    > prior display drivers (Alt-F1/F3 for Warp 4 and later systems during
    > bootup).

    Well, that didn't work :-(

    > Note: Even if you use GENGRADD, you should still be able to run the
    > SciTech SNAP Graphics command line utilities, provided that you didn't
    > remove any of the SciTech SNAP Graphics files or the
    > DEVICE=X:\OS2\SDDHELP.SYS line from your CONFIG.SYS.
    >
    >> Which of the SNAP\ga*.exe programs is the magic one, to set a new,
    >> lower resolution and refresh rate, after booting into a command line
    >> and what's the proper sequence for 1024 768 @ 65Hz?
    >>
    >> I thought gamode would be the one, but it didn't work.

    > epm: D:\SNAP > gamode
    > GAMode - SciTech SNAP Graphics Dial-A-Mode Utility
    > Copyright 1993-2006 SciTech Software, Inc.
    >
    > Valid commands are:
    >
    > gamode show [device]
    > gamode showvbe [device]
    > To show the list of display modes for the device. The showvbe variant
    > will show the list of modes reported to VESA VBE applications.
    >
    > gamode add [device]
    > To add a new display mode (automatically enabled for VESA VBE apps)
    >
    > gamode addref [device]
    > To add a new refresh rate for a specific resolution. To specify an
    > interlaced refresh rate, use a negative value. i.e.: use -87 for 87Hz
    > interlaced modes.
    >
    > gamode del [device]
    > To remove a specific display mode
    >
    > gamode set [head] [device]
    > To set the default refresh rate for a specific resolution
    >
    > So apparently "gamode set" can only configure a given resolution, but
    > won't switch to it?

    Apparently so and I also have no idea yet, about the syntax of [device], even
    though it doesn't seem to be relevant here.

  9. Re: How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly?

    Am 10.07.07 16.15 schrieb Andreas Schnellbacher:
    > On 10.07.07 22:16, Wolfi wrote:
    >
    >> My monitor just died on me and I had to connect an old one, which
    >> cannot handle the resolution SNAP is currently set to. So all I get
    >> after booting up is a black screen.

    > You know about Alt+F1 and reset to VGA? After that, you can reinstall
    > Snap.

    Yep, but I haven't figured out yet, how one does it from the eCS CD :-\

    > From snapos2.pdf:
    >
    > Restoring Your System in Case of Failure
    >
    > If SciTech SNAP Graphics does not correctly boot on your system, you
    > can easily switch back to the GENGRADD drivers to boot your system to
    > a workable state again. To revert to GENGRADD, do the following:
    >
    > 1. Boot to an Alt-F1/F2 command prompt mode
    >
    > 2. Edit CONFIG.SYS file and change
    >
    > C1=SDDGRADD
    > C1=GENGRADD
    >
    > 3. Delete or rename the x:\os2\svgadata.pmi file
    >
    > 4. Reboot your system.
    >
    > If that fails you will need to revert to VGA mode and reinstall your
    > prior display drivers (Alt-F1/F3 for Warp 4 and later systems during
    > bootup).

    Well, that didn't work :-(

    > Note: Even if you use GENGRADD, you should still be able to run the
    > SciTech SNAP Graphics command line utilities, provided that you didn't
    > remove any of the SciTech SNAP Graphics files or the
    > DEVICE=X:\OS2\SDDHELP.SYS line from your CONFIG.SYS.
    >
    >> Which of the SNAP\ga*.exe programs is the magic one, to set a new,
    >> lower resolution and refresh rate, after booting into a command line
    >> and what's the proper sequence for 1024 768 @ 65Hz?
    >>
    >> I thought gamode would be the one, but it didn't work.

    > epm: D:\SNAP > gamode
    > GAMode - SciTech SNAP Graphics Dial-A-Mode Utility
    > Copyright 1993-2006 SciTech Software, Inc.
    >
    > Valid commands are:
    >
    > gamode show [device]
    > gamode showvbe [device]
    > To show the list of display modes for the device. The showvbe variant
    > will show the list of modes reported to VESA VBE applications.
    >
    > gamode add [device]
    > To add a new display mode (automatically enabled for VESA VBE apps)
    >
    > gamode addref [device]
    > To add a new refresh rate for a specific resolution. To specify an
    > interlaced refresh rate, use a negative value. i.e.: use -87 for 87Hz
    > interlaced modes.
    >
    > gamode del [device]
    > To remove a specific display mode
    >
    > gamode set [head] [device]
    > To set the default refresh rate for a specific resolution
    >
    > So apparently "gamode set" can only configure a given resolution, but
    > won't switch to it?

    Apparently so and I also have no idea yet, about the syntax of [device], even
    though it doesn't seem to be relevant here.

  10. Re: How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly?

    Wolfi writes:

    > My monitor just died on me and I had to connect an old one, which cannot
    > handle the resolution SNAP is currently set to.
    > So all I get after booting up is a black screen.

    I have a related problem. I had a monitor die. It was running at a
    refresh of 72 Hz. Although the new monitor works at 72 Hz, it complains
    about the mode being "not recommended". So I clicked on the System
    icon and changed the refresh rate to 60 Hz. After the next reboot,
    the same old "not recommended" message occurs, and refresh rate is
    right back at 72 Hz. I even used the Advanced button to set the
    global refresh rate to 60 Hz, but after the next reboot, it's right
    back at 72 Hz. How can I get the changed refresh rate to stick?
    I'm using SNAP build 420.

  11. Re: How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly?

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 18:39:42 -0500, Trevor Hemsley
    wrote:

    >> Do you know where PM stores its current resolution? I thought it would be
    >> obvious, but it isn't...

    > os2.ini, application PM_DISPLAYDRIVERS, key DEFAULTSYSTEMRESOLUTION seems
    > likely. First two 4 byte fields are 1600x1200 for me and the third one is
    > 0x01000000 which corresponds to my 16m colour depth.

    Thanks. Don't know how I missed that as I went through the INI more than once.
    Wonder what the last two 4 byte fields are - mine are 1 and 128 respectively.
    Anyone else?

  12. Re: How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly?

    tholen@antispam.ham wrote:

    > Wolfi writes:
    >
    >> My monitor just died on me and I had to connect an old one, which cannot
    >> handle the resolution SNAP is currently set to.
    >> So all I get after booting up is a black screen.

    > I have a related problem. I had a monitor die. It was running at a
    > refresh of 72 Hz. Although the new monitor works at 72 Hz, it complains
    > about the mode being "not recommended". So I clicked on the System
    > icon and changed the refresh rate to 60 Hz. After the next reboot,
    > the same old "not recommended" message occurs, and refresh rate is
    > right back at 72 Hz. I even used the Advanced button to set the
    > global refresh rate to 60 Hz, but after the next reboot, it's right
    > back at 72 Hz. How can I get the changed refresh rate to stick?
    > I'm using SNAP build 420.

    I had one like that a few years back - I had to do a cold start for both the
    computer and the monitor to eventually get things to stick. Seems the
    monitor would not come out of the mode it was in so the driver assumed that
    this was the only available mode and stuck there. Some times, the big
    hammer is all that will work.

    --
    Will Honea

  13. Re: How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly?

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:04:57 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:

    > Wonder what the last two 4 byte fields are - mine are 1 and 128 respectively.
    > Anyone else?

    Snap!

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  14. Re: How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly?

    Will Honea writes:

    >> I have a related problem. I had a monitor die. It was running at a
    >> refresh of 72 Hz. Although the new monitor works at 72 Hz, it complains
    >> about the mode being "not recommended". So I clicked on the System
    >> icon and changed the refresh rate to 60 Hz. After the next reboot,
    >> the same old "not recommended" message occurs, and refresh rate is
    >> right back at 72 Hz. I even used the Advanced button to set the
    >> global refresh rate to 60 Hz, but after the next reboot, it's right
    >> back at 72 Hz. How can I get the changed refresh rate to stick?
    >> I'm using SNAP build 420.

    > I had one like that a few years back - I had to do a cold start for both the
    > computer and the monitor to eventually get things to stick. Seems the
    > monitor would not come out of the mode it was in so the driver assumed that
    > this was the only available mode and stuck there. Some times, the big
    > hammer is all that will work.

    There was a power failure a couple weeks ago that lasted long enough for
    the UPS to run out, so the system did its own cold start. I'll have to
    pay attention after the next reboot to see if 60 Hz finally stuck.

  15. Re: How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly?

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 00:53:34 UTC, Wolfi
    wrote:

    > Am 10.07.07 16.15 schrieb Andreas Schnellbacher:
    > > On 10.07.07 22:16, Wolfi wrote:
    > >
    > >> My monitor just died on me and I had to connect an old one, which
    > >> cannot handle the resolution SNAP is currently set to. So all I get
    > >> after booting up is a black screen.

    > > You know about Alt+F1 and reset to VGA? After that, you can reinstall
    > > Snap.

    > Yep, but I haven't figured out yet, how one does it from the eCS CD :-\

    No CD. Boot the system up with Alt+F1 and then select the menue item
    that says reset to VGA. Then boot up and install the most current SNAP
    you owns.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  16. Re: How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly?

    Am 02.08.07 17.39 schrieb Herbert Rosenau:
    > On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 00:53:34 UTC, Wolfi
    > wrote:

    >>> You know about Alt+F1 and reset to VGA? After that, you can reinstall
    >>> Snap.

    >> Yep, but I haven't figured out yet, how one does it from the eCS CD :-\

    > No CD. Boot the system up with Alt+F1 and then select the menue item
    > that says reset to VGA. Then boot up and install the most current SNAP
    > you owns.

    Well, I wasn't clear enough with that, sorry.
    The setting to VGA wasn't my question, how to locate and reinstall SNAP from
    the eCS CD was, however.

  17. Re: How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly?

    Wolfi wrote:
    > Am 02.08.07 17.39 schrieb Herbert Rosenau:

    >>> Yep, but I haven't figured out yet, how one does it from the eCS CD :-\

    >> No CD. Boot the system up with Alt+F1 and then select the menue item
    >> that says reset to VGA. Then boot up and install the most current SNAP
    >> you owns.
    >>

    > Well, I wasn't clear enough with that, sorry.
    > The setting to VGA wasn't my question, how to locate and reinstall SNAP
    > from the eCS CD was, however.

    Reinstallation may not even do it, because your settings will still be
    sitting out there on disk.

    You might get a reset to 640x480 without going to VGA by wiping your
    settings in \os2\drivers\snap\config. Be sure you back them up first
    though!

  18. Re: How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly?

    Hi Wolfi

    Wolfi wrote:
    > Am 02.08.07 17.39 schrieb Herbert Rosenau:

    >>> Yep, but I haven't figured out yet, how one does it from the eCS CD :-\

    >> No CD. Boot the system up with Alt+F1 and then select the menue item
    >> that says reset to VGA. Then boot up and install the most current SNAP
    >> you owns.
    >>

    > Well, I wasn't clear enough with that, sorry.
    > The setting to VGA wasn't my question, how to locate and reinstall SNAP
    > from the eCS CD was, however.

    Open a cmd line and change to the CD/DVD with the eCS CD in.

    Use this cmd:-

    dir *snap* /s

    That should list all files containing snap which should help you locate
    the snap package :-)

    Regards

    Pete

  19. Re: How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly?

    Am 03.08.07 08.41 schrieb Peter Brown:
    > Hi Wolfi
    >
    > Wolfi wrote:

    For what it's worth, the monitor is working again :-) I had to replace the
    blown H-output transistor. Luckily nothing else broke along with it.

    >>> No CD. Boot the system up with Alt+F1 and then select the menue item
    >>> that says reset to VGA. Then boot up and install the most current SNAP
    >>> you owns.
    >>>

    >> Well, I wasn't clear enough with that, sorry.
    >> The setting to VGA wasn't my question, how to locate and reinstall
    >> SNAP from the eCS CD was, however.

    > Open a cmd line and change to the CD/DVD with the eCS CD in.
    >
    > Use this cmd:-
    >
    > dir *snap* /s
    >

    > That should list all files containing snap which should help you locate
    > the snap package :-)

    Ah, yes, there it is: S:\CID\SERVER\SNAP.
    Back then, I guess, in all that frustrating excitement, I didn't look
    carefully enough.

    Thanks.
    Regards
    Wolfi

  20. Re: How to reduce SNAP screen resolution blindly?

    On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 00:48:31 UTC, Wolfi wrote:

    > Well, I wasn't clear enough with that, sorry.
    > The setting to VGA wasn't my question, how to locate and reinstall SNAP from
    > the eCS CD was, however.

    You would not do that. Yo will instead either the maintenace tool and
    receive a much newer version or login manually at ecomstation.com and
    download that manually.

    --
    Tschau/Bye